Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Didn't see any leaks from running the dishwasher on an express cycle, so that's a good start I guess. I'll try that hanging trick sometime when I have a few minutes to disconnect some lines to untangle things, thanks.

If the dishwasher didn’t produce new water, here’s a wild card possibility: did you happen to dump a bunch of ice in the sink and let it slowly melt? I’ve done that and had water condense on the underside of the nearly-frozen sink in the cabinet, and then the condensate drips down onto all my cleaning poisons and used toothbrushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What's a vacuum breaker?

A vacuum breaker prevents backflow with attached hoses. If you left your hose in some nasty pool of water with the tip submerged and the valve open, then something happened with your service that managed to suck water backwards, it would siphon that nasty water back into your pipes and possibly the main. Vacuum breakers let air in instead if the flow goes the other way. They can be built into modern frost free sillcocks, but they also make adapters for older fixtures. You just screw them on the hose threads of your fixture, tighten down their set screw, then your hose screws onto the vacuum breaker.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 1, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And if I recall, Aresnic is on a well. So all it would take is the right sequence of events of losing power and running down the pressure tank to have water pressure and level in the pipes low enough to siphon a hose into their indoor plumbing.

So backflow preventers and vacuum breakers should be considered high priority.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

We're getting our bathroom redone and the contractor wants to replace everything, but we like the old handles and spouts on the sink and tub. Is it unreasonable to try and save these parts for aesthetic reasons? They're possibly like 60-100 years old and go well with the arts and crafts bungalow style, but I guess there's some buildup and/or corrosion in the guts.

If this seems ignorant, I know nothing about plumbing, interchangeability of parts etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

We're getting our bathroom redone and the contractor wants to replace everything, but we like the old handles and spouts on the sink and tub. Is it unreasonable to try and save these parts for aesthetic reasons? They're possibly like 60-100 years old and go well with the arts and crafts bungalow style, but I guess there's some buildup and/or corrosion in the guts.

If this seems ignorant, I know nothing about plumbing, interchangeability of parts etc.

"It depends"

Some of the old stuff that may still be in good shape is really serviceable still. Some not so much.

You can probably find something in that style if you take some photos of it to your local fancy kitchen and bath fixture place, who your contractor should already have a relationship with.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

"It depends"

This is the correct answer. Old metal can crumble to dust the second you put a wrench on it. You might get lucky, you might not.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Please post a picture

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
For enough money anything is possible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

And if I recall, Aresnic is on a well. So all it would take is the right sequence of events of losing power and running down the pressure tank to have water pressure and level in the pipes low enough to siphon a hose into their indoor plumbing.

So backflow preventers and vacuum breakers should be considered high priority.

Yeah, I am. I'll probably have a local plumber do it because incompetence, but in what order do the vacuum breaker and backflow preventer go?

E; there are companies that make period appropriate fixtures. If nobody shows up with links, I'll post them in the morning.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 3, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

"I would like you to give me a price to refurbish and reinstall the existing fixtures and an alternate price to replace them with the following make and models, which I can opt for at a later date if the existing fixtures are unable to be reused."

If they won't do that, you don't have to use them. If you can't find another contractor who will, you've learned you have an adversarial relationship with this contractor and proceed accordingly as a client.

I say that because the request is pretty gentle, and gives them easy outs and a chance to replace it anyway. They can come back and tell you it needs seals at seats that are no longer available or they're too broken or cost more than expected so the old ones are out. Feel free to go research on your own and check before deciding. And it protects you by locking in the prices now. There's a thousand ways to screw you over on this, in the world of negotiation you'll have to decide if the pricing is fair early on. If it's a bad alternate price to begin with then you're in trouble no matter what.

Edit: sorry I have a lot of thoughts on contractors in general as I am one... At the end of the day you're making an agreement between two people. You may or may not get everything you want but you should get a quality finished product you're both proud of. If the faucets are in poor shape and detract from the overall look of the room, it might not be worth it.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 3, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Thanks for the tips. I guess I was thinking that older worn parts might have better craftsmanship than most new stuff, or that we can't find similar looking fixtures, but now it seems like neither is necessarily true.

After some more searching around, I can get handles that match these, but the spouts to match them are harder to find (for me). Open to suggestions as I am a hopeless goon and my wife, the one with good taste, is starting to get overwhelmed by all of the choices in the remodel.

Pardon our dust

StormDrain posted:

"I would like you to give me a price to refurbish and reinstall the existing fixtures and an alternate price to replace them with the following make and models, which I can opt for at a later date if the existing fixtures are unable to be reused."

If they won't do that, you don't have to use them. If you can't find another contractor who will, you've learned you have an adversarial relationship with this contractor and proceed accordingly as a client.

I say that because the request is pretty gentle, and gives them easy outs and a chance to replace it anyway. They can come back and tell you it needs seals at seats that are no longer available or they're too broken or cost more than expected so the old ones are out. Feel free to go research on your own and check before deciding. And it protects you by locking in the prices now. There's a thousand ways to screw you over on this, in the world of negotiation you'll have to decide if the pricing is fair early on. If it's a bad alternate price to begin with then you're in trouble no matter what.

Edit: sorry I have a lot of thoughts on contractors in general as I am one... At the end of the day you're making an agreement between two people. You may or may not get everything you want but you should get a quality finished product you're both proud of. If the faucets are in poor shape and detract from the overall look of the room, it might not be worth it.

Thanks for this advice. Our contractor is a family friend who has done good quality work for us and others we know. We're inclined to trust his judgement, but sometimes he tries to push us in the easiest direction. For example, he often offers to replace our OG wood double-hung windows with new vinyl ones.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

We're inclined to trust his judgement, but sometimes he tries to push us in the easiest direction. For example, he often offers to replace our OG wood double-hung windows with new vinyl ones.

That's not judgement I'd trust.

Not every contractor is qualified to do restoration work or even know enough to reason about it, quote it out, know who to bring in. And that's okay, providing you aren't trying to use them for restoration work or don't mind the results of their work resembling a home depot having vomited all over your room.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
The obvious answer is to go full Goon Project and make a thread where you digitize the fittings and then metal print/polish/plate exact replicas, then end up starting a business doing this for a living.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
proposal: i am going to digitize fittings and start a business doing this for a living

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine that ruins plumbing, entirely by accident

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Thanks for the tips. I guess I was thinking that older worn parts might have better craftsmanship than most new stuff, or that we can't find similar looking fixtures, but now it seems like neither is necessarily true.

After some more searching around, I can get handles that match these, but the spouts to match them are harder to find (for me). Open to suggestions as I am a hopeless goon and my wife, the one with good taste, is starting to get overwhelmed by all of the choices in the remodel.

You can do some mix and matching then, potentially. The tub spout is an easy thing to keep and reuse, it's a dumb hunk of metal. It doesn't have a diverter so you'll need a diverter plumbed in if this is a shower. Same as what you have now.

The sink spout may be more difficult, it may hook up easily to a new set of widespread handles or it may need an adapter or two. Have them removed carefully and you can spend some time polishing them and see what you think.

The relationship may be a somewhat tricky thing to manage considering he's a family friend. At the end of the day, it's your house and you're paying for something. "Mike, you're right that there are cheaper and easier ways to do this. I like this house and I like the craftsmanship of wood windows and higher quality finishes. If you're not comfortable installing it I can find someone else, which would be better for both of us." If you all are adults this isn't that harsh. It's a business decision and most folks can separate that. Usually you don't have to say the last part out loud, and it is implied. "Mike, are you able to install wood windows?"

All contractors I don't know are named Mike. My apologies if his name is Mike.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I briefly worked for a guy who basically did this, but for doorknobs. It wasn't replicas, but custom doorknobs for his house. For what it's worth, the doorknob business still exists, and the company I worked for does not.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those fixtures, especially the sink faucet, do not appear that old. 1990s maybe.

Try these guys for ideas: https://www.vintagetub.com/bathroom/tub-faucets.html

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Here's the sink fixture:

https://www.kingstonbrass.com/products/kingston-brass-ks3951px-polished-chrome

Edit: don't see the exact faucet for the bath, but the handles on many of their offerings are drat close. I would just use new valves, diverter, and handles and shine up and remount the existing faucet bit.

Bathroom of Theseus.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 4, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have a Kingston Brass kitchen sink. It’s fine but the valves don’t last more than 3-4 years and are tough to find, and expensive when you do.

If you buy one, buy at least two of each cartridge. If they’re both clockwise=off, it doesn’t matter whether you get hot or cold. In fact the only difference may be that the hot shuts off counter-clockwise because they love the lever-handle setup.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 4, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The tub handles look like Central Brass retrofit, and was awesome at Home Depot as early as 12 years ago. Kohler sells something similar, but I'm too lazy to look at the moment

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

bobua posted:

I've apparently got an issue with my tub\shower drain. If I keep water in it, everything is fine, but its acting like the p-trap is dry. Filling it with water daily doesn't help.

Had foundation issues a few years ago that were fixed, my guess is they caused a crack or something and the p-trap just leaks? Is there another possibility? Does the entire tub\tilework have to be ripped out to fix this sorta thing on a first floor\foundation tub?

Motronic posted:

Clogged vent. When you're using other things, likely the toilet, it's pulling vacuum on the trap in the shower and emptying the water out of it.

I've managed to snake a camera down the drain, i can see where the water is pooling in the p-trap, so its at least a slow leak if it is leaking.

When I flush the toilet, the water gets quite a bit of movement. I can't say how much exactly, but its not slight, its not from rattling pipes or anything, there's some churn, but its definitely not sucking all the water out\clearing the p-trap.

Is that movement normal? is it an indicator that the bathtubs vent is vine but maybe the toilets isn't, and gas is coming back through the bathtub somehow or something?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bobua posted:

I've managed to snake a camera down the drain, i can see where the water is pooling in the p-trap, so its at least a slow leak if it is leaking.

When I flush the toilet, the water gets quite a bit of movement. I can't say how much exactly, but its not slight, its not from rattling pipes or anything, there's some churn, but its definitely not sucking all the water out\clearing the p-trap.

Is that movement normal? is it an indicator that the bathtubs vent is vine but maybe the toilets isn't, and gas is coming back through the bathtub somehow or something?

Did you check the vent like Motronic recommended? Get up on the roof and look in it with a flashlight. Chances are if it's clogged it's at the top.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The hot water from the faucet in my kitchen has been slowly losing pressure. The cold water pressure is fine. The other faucets (and the shower) in the house are all normal hot and cold pressure. I'm guessing this means that there's build-up or something in the kitchen hot water supply (or the valve)?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

The hot water from the faucet in my kitchen has been slowly losing pressure. The cold water pressure is fine. The other faucets (and the shower) in the house are all normal hot and cold pressure. I'm guessing this means that there's build-up or something in the kitchen hot water supply (or the valve)?

Maybe. Do the shutoffs under the sink work? If so you can disconnect the faucet and run water into a bucket to see if the volume/pressure is fine before the sink.

If you haven't used the shutoffs in forever they are almost definitely going to fail so don't touch them unless you also know how to turn off the water to your house and replace them.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Motronic posted:

Maybe. Do the shutoffs under the sink work? If so you can disconnect the faucet and run water into a bucket to see if the volume/pressure is fine before the sink.

If you haven't used the shutoffs in forever they are almost definitely going to fail so don't touch them unless you also know how to turn off the water to your house and replace them.

They definitely look like nobody's touched them in a couple centuries, so big thanks for the heads-up. I know where the main is, so I'll start there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I asked in the home ownership thread but figured this might be a better thread. I need to get a new toilet, but having never bought one I don't even know where to start.

I'm a short, stocky dude who due to some health issues has to pee a ton, so I'm thinking that getting a 2 flush model. I was considering a bidet but the price jump seems pretty steep.

Any recommendations?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
But a stool and piss in to the sink.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

wesleywillis posted:

But a stool and piss in to the sink.

But why would I do that much work when the bathtub is right there

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Eason the Fifth posted:

I had that happen once. It turns out some solder blobs managed to work themselves free and got caught at the hot stop valve under the kitchen sink.

First thing to check would be the faucet itself though. Take it apart and see if anything is blocking the hot side.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Medullah posted:

I asked in the home ownership thread but figured this might be a better thread. I need to get a new toilet, but having never bought one I don't even know where to start.

I'm a short, stocky dude who due to some health issues has to pee a ton, so I'm thinking that getting a 2 flush model. I was considering a bidet but the price jump seems pretty steep.

Any recommendations?
Just about most toilets are robust, simple devices that JUST WORK. Did you come in different heights and some do have multiple flush options even at the bottom price bracket so no worries there.

You can get a non-powered add-on bidet, but most you see on eBay/ amazon are trash. I have installed multiples of these, with zero complaints over the years:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Brondell-Ecoseat-Plastic-Elongated-Slow-Close-Bidet-Toilet-Seat/1002260720

Just choose between round/elongated option that matches your toilet. Whoever installs the toilet will be able to install this in just a few minutes.

Good luck

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hello! The utility sink my my basement has a tendency to drip from the back/underside when I'm using it. Everything seems tight, but I'm wondering if that whiteish O-ring is meant to have a split in it or not?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Hard plastic O-rings often have a split in them that gets pushed together once everything's tightened. The black rubber O-ring below it is a more likely culprit if it's just weathered or has a little nick in it somewhere.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

Hello! The utility sink my my basement has a tendency to drip from the back/underside when I'm using it. Everything seems tight, but I'm wondering if that whiteish O-ring is meant to have a split in it or not?

It is not. Bring that whole thing to your local hardware store and find the oldest dude that works there near the plumbing aisle and you'll get what you need to make this right for about $4.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The black O ring seemed fine (or at least in much better shape than the utterly melted ones I'm used to replacing) but I have spares for that handy already if you think it's worth a shot

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

The black O ring seemed fine (or at least in much better shape than the utterly melted ones I'm used to replacing) but I have spares for that handy already if you think it's worth a shot

The o ring might get it done for a bit.....I'd have to see the design. But you definitely want to replace that plastic washer thing that's cracked for a real fix. Chances are good that's what's "locating" the faucet to keep the o ring from getting ripped apart when you move it from side to side.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
D'oh, I misinterpretted the "it is not" as a response to "is it the white O's fault" not, "Is it meant to have a split"

Alright, that white thing I definitely don't have a spare for, will be easy enough to find something for it next time I make a hardware store trip, thanks!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The plastic collar keeps the faucet in place while it's rotating. A rubber washer is what keeps the water out. Replace the washer, use silicone grease everywhere

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
If the plastic collar isn't really doing anything for the water, and it's the black o-ring meant to keep things in place, does that o-ring look like it's the right size for the nook it's in?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

NZAmoeba posted:

If the plastic collar isn't really doing anything for the water, and it's the black o-ring meant to keep things in place, does that o-ring look like it's the right size for the nook it's in?

It looks about normal to me, if it wasn't the right size it would always have been leaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Two questions:

1: (Yes, I'm going to scrub that crap off the tub, but I want to ask this before I forget). Hot water runs constantly from the tub, and after taking the hot water faucet knob off, this is what's under it. Going by the drain plug toggle, it's a Moen fixture, probably original to the house from the early '90s, maybe late '90s.

It's a one-piece shower and can't be accessed from the other side of the wall without ripping apart kitchen cabinets. I'm guessing that if I use vise grips on the end where it's scuffed up or a strap wrench on the larger part, I can unscrew it, and I'm hoping to find typical valve guts inside. It doesn't look like there was ever a nut to put a wrench on. A couple of mechanical geniuses "tightened it down" a few times and said it just needs to be replaced (one of these handy individuals also turned a car port into an extra room and attached the framed walls to the concrete with nothing but caulk, for an idea of the quality workmanship we're dealing with).

2: A 24 year old water heater keeps tripping its self protect. Everything checks out electrically including the top and bottom thermostats and both heating elements. Instead of trying to find parts for it, it's time to just replace it, right?