Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

LifeLynx posted:

It's been years since I've seen Columbo, but he worked with and had backup from the police. When Charlie does her endgame accusation, she's in a much more vulnerable position, which is nail-biting when she constantly picks the worst possible time to confront the killer.

Columbo is, in fact a police officer himself. Lieutenant Columbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wait why didn't Laura have her own top level access account

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Why would she? None of the CEOs I’ve worked with have had top access to jack poo poo, because they’re morons and/or arseholes. Hell, I fondly remember the time one even started giving me their personal banking password because they couldn’t get it to work.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sentinel Red posted:

Why would she? None of the CEOs I’ve worked with have had top access to jack poo poo, because they’re morons and/or arseholes. Hell, I fondly remember the time one even started giving me their personal banking password because they couldn’t get it to work.

Counterpoint: the murdered guy reused his compromised passwords, so he was stupid too. Then again, the first episode establishes that Charly's phone and bank pin is 1234, so she would have no room to judge.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That episode owned bones, but goddamn my throat hurt in sympathy just watching Nolte and Lyonne go at it. How are they so hoarse all the time?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

socketwrencher posted:

Really wish there wasn't a superpower.

I think it helps a couple things. Her character is shown to be intuitive, but not book smart. Charlie also veers on the trusting side of strangers, generally seeing the good in others. The super power is what let's those two things be true, while letting her 'detect' when foul play is afoot, and gives her the motivation to seek justice instead of cutting her loses and running off.

They've handled it cleverly enough so far, so I'm all for it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

holy drat Columbo episodes are like 90 mins long

this show could probably do with longer episodes tbh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I petitioned for Quibi length episodes with a hundred cases per season, but y'all want 90 minute episodes with 66% more long scenes of great actors chewing the scenery and saying words and expressing emotions or whatever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"open casket funerals, nothing to the imagination huh? So I noticed back there that you buried your wife with a golden arm"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sometimes you even get extra long columbo episodes and its like :O

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Really shocking data storage/backup system at this studio where just one higher-up('s account) can apparently permanently erase a file just from one click, though I suppose I can't really say that's unrealistic...

Jerusalem posted:

I knew she was in a couple of shows that I haven't seen before like Orange is the New Black and Russian Doll, but I somehow failed to make the connection that Natasha Lyonne played Jessica (the unbelievably cool, laidback character who helps the nerdy guy build up his reputation) in American Pie :aaa:

My similar sudden realisation was that she was the main character in classic lesbian comedy But I'm A Cheerleader. Just been hanging around quietly killing it for years.

socketwrencher posted:

Didn't make sense that Laura didn't get rid of the incriminating footage soon after the incident, but whatever.

My interpretation was that she didn't realise the camera was rolling at the time and this is the first time anyone actually bothered to look at this reel, but I don't think they say that explicitly

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I thought the episode was a little weaker in some ways, especially in the lack of humor (One of my favorite aspects of the show), but it made up for it with Nolte. When I was in university, Tippet used to come to my school and hire students from the VFX and animation departments. He also would come into the film major building and just chat with classes (He would often bring Ed Neumeier along as they're close buddies), so I got to meet him a handful of times. So, as soon as we saw Nolte working on those miniatures I kind of lost my mind and was grinning whenever he was on screen.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Started watching Columbo and good goddamn do these hold up.

My modern brain does bristle against the extended runtime but it also gives everything much more time to breathe.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Very good follow:
https://twitter.com/ColumboScreens/status/1630583607436648453?s=20

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I think it helps a couple things. Her character is shown to be intuitive, but not book smart. Charlie also veers on the trusting side of strangers, generally seeing the good in others. The super power is what let's those two things be true, while letting her 'detect' when foul play is afoot, and gives her the motivation to seek justice instead of cutting her loses and running off.

They've handled it cleverly enough so far, so I'm all for it.

Yeah good points. It also provides a way to explain why she's never wrong. Maybe without the superpower, her always being able to figure things out despite knowing potential suspects for just a day or three would be as unrealistic as the superpower. It would be more interesting to me though if she had honed her bullshit detector by way of living a vagabond-y, knockaround sort of life, and I would actually love if on occasion she ended up being dead wrong.

Angepain posted:

Really shocking data storage/backup system at this studio where just one higher-up('s account) can apparently permanently erase a file just from one click, though I suppose I can't really say that's unrealistic...

My similar sudden realisation was that she was the main character in classic lesbian comedy But I'm A Cheerleader. Just been hanging around quietly killing it for years.

Angepain posted:

My interpretation was that she didn't realise the camera was rolling at the time and this is the first time anyone actually bothered to look at this reel, but I don't think they say that explicitly

Plausible enough. Doesn't quite ring true, but I'm not trying to be nitpicky. It's just fun thinking about how hard it is to write this kind of thing.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

for me the "superpower" was the narrative device to explain why she would give a poo poo. Charlie doesn't seem a particularly motivated person and combined with being on the run, it gives us a believable reason why the character would even involve herself. even if its just out of curiosity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another exceptional episode. One hundred years Charlie Cale

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i was like wait it's not out yet what but yes it is thursday

these midnight releases are messing with me

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Since he did such a good job with columbo, do you think we could get Rian to redo the littlest hobo? I guess the only problem would be that we would have to find someone with appropriate gravitas to re record until tomorrow. Maybe this time I won't cry literally every time I hear it
https://youtu.be/lgGKSjiw0HQ

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oof this one was a nail-biter. I know it's kinda the point of the show, but man I wish she'd learn the superpower of shutting the gently caress up and playing dumb until she can get to a safer location.

Although I guess once they found the bone Joseph Gordon Leavitt was gonna push the issue one way or another.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

for me the "superpower" was the narrative device to explain why she would give a poo poo. Charlie doesn't seem a particularly motivated person and combined with being on the run, it gives us a believable reason why the character would even involve herself. even if its just out of curiosity.

That's reasonable. Still think it detracts a bit, because her character seems like the type who would involve herself regardless- she seems genuinely interested in people and getting to know them, maybe because of the loneliness that's part of her itinerant lifestyle, maybe because it's just who she is.

I'd guess the superpower was more because they wanted/needed a way to speed the story along. Not a big deal, still a great show.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That was brilliant. This show rules.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Another exceptional episode. One hundred years Charlie Cale

i am 30 or 40 years old and i do need this

its nice to see an adult around my age playing a character believably around my age, and not the way many shows have portrayed ppl born after 1980 as tall, bold children, or, written like how adults were thirty years ago
she's a resilient, kind, gregarious, perceptive fried-hot mess of a person with a sense of justice that causes trouble, and oof if that ain't the zeitgeist mood of the currently newly middle-aged imo/ime

this episode might be my fave so far, and when she meets the snow hunk and unwinds enough to have a lil fling on this leg of her hobo's journey?? like- yes! charlie!! you have earned this vacation! folks, u love to see it, kind of a moment- and that initial relief definitely made the trials of the rest of the episode feel more emotionally stark and impactful; masterful work

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, that was an excellent ep, really good way to keep things feeling fresh.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Holy poo poo the amount of plot and the way everything was wrapped up in this episode was masterful. I even did fall for Charlie’s death at the end and I was thinking wtf is this the end of the show? Series finale with the vegas guys finding out what Gordon levitt did or something.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wonder if the season finale will see the FBI guy return. Wouldn't be that hard to trace back a handful of these solved murders to Charlie, particularly given her name was in the news following this episode.

Hoping they preserve her working outside of the law following this season. Fun to see a murder mystery show that has to come up with a cosmic justice that isn't just the perp being id'd and walked away in cuffs.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Wonder if the season finale will see the FBI guy return
He’ll definitely be back. She supposedly still has his business card. Or it was in her wallet.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Great ep but god please stop killing the good characters

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Argue posted:

Great ep but god please stop killing the good characters

This would be a problem if they didn't keep introducing great new ones in their place. This show is nailing interesting side characters, which makes me happy as a clam. The klepto girl from this episode was such a delight.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should do a double fake where Stephanie Hsu faked her own death also so she can come back as a recurring sidekick later on.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Stop stealing for a moment and pay attention!"

What a god drat good episode. Loved the little fakeout of initially making it seem like Klepto Girl was going to be the hit & run victim but NOPE.

I am super glad for this thread because I never would have checked the show out without it and now I love it. What about Russian Doll, is that worth a watch?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Love a good bottle episode, so this week’s was right up my alley. It is funny how telegraphed some things are, like as soon as JGL put the gun in his waistband I said to my wife that Morty was going to steal it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:goonsay: not a bottle episode

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

webmeister posted:

Love a good bottle episode, so this week’s was right up my alley. It is funny how telegraphed some things are, like as soon as JGL put the gun in his waistband I said to my wife that Morty was going to steal it

Honestly I didn’t even consider that until he reached for it and it wasn’t there

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What about Russian Doll, is that worth a watch?

The first season was great. The second was serviceable by some measurements for some people, I guess.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

charlie's surprised laugh when she sees 'jane doe' on her wrist bracelet is EVERYTHING; amazing moment, love that for her

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

The first season was great. The second was serviceable by some measurements for some people, I guess.

Yeah, first season was great and definitely worth watching. Second season, I’ll say that I appreciate she decided to try something new, but really didn’t land for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah second season was ambitious as hell and I appreciate that they went for it but it didn’t really work for me. First season rules.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
good ep, def one of the better ones. it is kinda funny that the most intricate feeling episode is the one with barely any mystery in it though lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Is it spelled howcatchum or howcatchem?