Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

Theantero posted:

It is pretty funny to have all this talk about everyone being stylish because of Tailors and the Head's Gun Control in Ruina only to have Ishmael go all tacticlol on a dude's rear end in Limbus :v:

I choose to believe that this implies the SWAT gear is entirely a stylistic choice and that she could just wear a tux or something instead, but refuses to.

its a uniform, though yes chosen for aesthetic moreso than practical use given the city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

After checking out I'm deciding between going for T3 Tingtang HongLu or Kurokumo Hong Lu+another identity that goes well with him, since it seems both Hong Lu are great (as it should be)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Actually, that brings up a good point: How do you feel about using the same Identity type on different characters in the same team?

As of now, we can do:

Seven team, of Yi Sang and Ryoshu
Shi team, of Don Quixote, Heathcliff and Ishmael
Kurokumo team, of Ryoshu, Hong Lu and Rodion
WARP team, of Faust, Don Quixote and Meursault
Liu team, of Meursault and Gregor
Blade Lineage team, of Yi Sang, Sinclair and Outis
G Corp team, of Outis and Gregor
LCCB team of Ishmael and Rodion
R Corp team of Heathcliff and Ishmael

Do you feel like these groups have synergy with each other, or not?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Also, I gotta say that I absolutely loathe this thing where you can get an extra Sinner by bringing along some other person's overleveled waifu. Mechanic would be busted even if you just had to replace one of your own, but as it is now it's just awful from a game design and balancing standpoint.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

FWIW it's substantially less busted than is standard for the genre thanks to the relatively low ceiling on individual team member power.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

it's basically what arknights does, except less good because it doesn't work on dungeons, story or mirror.

Junpei posted:

Actually, that brings up a good point: How do you feel about using the same Identity type on different characters in the same team?

As of now, we can do:

Seven team, of Yi Sang and Ryoshu
Kurokumo team, of Ryoshu, Hong Lu and Rodion
WARP team, of Faust, Don Quixote and Meursault
Blade Lineage team, of Yi Sang, Sinclair and Outis
G Corp team, of Outis and Gregor
LCCB team of Ishmael and Rodion

Used both g corps - they really don't, at all. Hell, LCCB Ishmael pairs better with gregor than G Corp Outis.
Liu definitely does, given meursault just gets better the more burn you have. I can't wait for a full burn team to be viable tbh.
Warp/R Corp users are pretty selfish so far, same as in ruina, and I don't see team-wide charge gen really being a thing for a while. If it does though then it'll become pretty great.
Kurokumo team is just Funny Bleed, and bleed is a lot like burn in that it only gets better the more of it you have.
Shi Team feels like a bad idea since you need your entire team to be half dead for it; having only one seems a lot safer.
Others I can't really comment on.

DuoRogue fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 4, 2023

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
But I would prefer zero poop in my soup, you see.

Here's hoping Chapter 4 will slap the base maximum to 6 and have you unable to get 7.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

Theantero posted:

But I would prefer zero poop in my soup, you see.

Here's hoping Chapter 4 will slap the base maximum to 6 and have you unable to get 7.

I'm gonna be real with you, I don't see the point of complaining about the ability to bring a 6th sinner. If you're getting your rear end beat by bad RNG on a story stage, bring along a friend to help you complete it. it can't be used in most content, but said content is also locked behind story, so giving players a tool to get past that story quicker if they're getting frustrated is cool, in my book.
Also the part where it's entirely optional and I still did 90% of the story with 5 sinners anyway. You're one of those gamers complaining that an easy mode is ruining their game. If you don't like it, just don't use it..?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The funny gang leaders are I feel, a fairly strong pairing. Not because they have any actual synergy, but because they're individually quite strong killers who don't rely on others to do what they're doing. The synergy is that they don't need synergy to set up.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Wait, you can bring an extra party member into fights?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

DuoRogue posted:

I'm gonna be real with you, I don't see the point of complaining about the ability to bring a 6th sinner. If you're getting your rear end beat by bad RNG on a story stage, bring along a friend to help you complete it. it can't be used in most content, but said content is also locked behind story, so giving players a tool to get past that story quicker if they're getting frustrated is cool, in my book.
Also the part where it's entirely optional and I still did 90% of the story with 5 sinners anyway. You're one of those gamers complaining that an easy mode is ruining their game. If you don't like it, just don't use it..?

If they wanted to add an easy mode, they could just add an easy mode. A simple 'bring +1 Sinner' toggle.

The way it's currently done is just some dumb gatcha brainrot garbage.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

You can have up to 200 friends and bringing a starter sinner at uptie 3 is still a pretty big power boost, just because of the action economy.

I don't understand the problem with letting people have an extra character if they find the story quests too hard without a 6th sinner.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Junpei posted:

There's basically no synergy between the two R Corp outfits, but they're both very solid so I use them anyway. Heathcliff is consistently one of my better damage dealers, once I started getting a little smarter about conserving his ammo with defensive actions and/or EGO use it helped a lot with his longevity.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ariamaki posted:

They do: At least in the big text popup for when it explains EGO initially, it mentions them potentially having a Sanity cost and it being bad to go under that. I just watched a friend stream me the tutorial last night.

What they don't mention is that non-starter egos have enhanced or different effects under corrosion. The starter egos I checked don't even have a sanity cost though, so they'd have to either give you a premade team or an ego to demonstrate that ego mode has special effects.

We'll probably get egos where it's better to be distorted than normal (possibly with effects in normal combat) later on given how the system is set up to incentivize a vast range of tactics and enemy layouts.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 4, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have witnessed in other's videos that there is a grey zone where you get the alternative attack and effects but don't go full berserk monster, uncontrollable targeting mode.

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Birds with beautiful wings! Gather on the battlefield and take flight!
Hey folks, happy Limbus week. :toot:

I've been banging my head against Mirror Dungeon for the past several days (roguelikes are not my strong suite) and ended up making a guide over on Steam. Hopefully it'll help anyone else out with regards to the EGO gifts / events / team building.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Also Siegfried is incredible.

Dozens of invitation to a party. Dozens. Just 200% enthusiasm with zero chill whatsoever.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Junpei posted:

I have witnessed in other's videos that there is a grey zone where you get the alternative attack and effects but don't go full berserk monster, uncontrollable targeting mode.

I accidentally corroded Faust's Hex Nail earlier and she dropped a blood-soaked box of cookies out of her teddy bear kigu. That alone was worth the SP price of admission.

Theantero posted:

Some poo poo

Oh no, a game encouraging people to have friends and interact with other people in the space. What a terrible thing. :downswords:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

gently caress you too, I guess?

Like, I'm not going to apologize for calling this genre out for its many, many shortcomings :v:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It's optional. Opt out of it.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been managing just fine with 5, 6 seems like real overkill. Heck I didn't even understand the combat well enough to do anything other than pick 'win rate' auto as often as I could. :v:

On that note: My friend ID is K400852525

Not much of note other than Yuri!Faust with Hex Nail but hey. :frogbon:

If people haven't seen it, the discord collectively put together a much better tutorial than the one the game comes with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/limbuscompany/comments/11fuiqu/mechanics_that_i_have_known_so_far_an_explanation/

You know, as someone who plays a few other mobile games I get the impression Limbus wasn't intended to be one or have a gacha at all.

Even the roadmap seems to be missing a lot of 'basic' kinds of things you'd expect from a gacha. There's no real way to spruce up your favorite units (like constellations, grailing, or oathing) and progression is fairly minimal, just XP and thread, so there's not much to work towards.

Missing those things isn't the worst thing in the world, but it does leave the game feeling a little bare bones. Tedious overkill grind sucks but having some grind to plan out what you want to work towards and compare units with your friends is fun.

Shastahanshah fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 4, 2023

Yggdrasi
Jan 23, 2020
Just popping in to drop my friend code

C515835598

I have a bunch of stuff and will be fairly active in the future

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

as far as mechanics go, I basically just do win rate but manual :v
I try to go for things with the best chance of winning clash (while also maximizing damage)
win rate isn't quite optimal though, as an example I will use Concentrated Fire from rabbit heathcliff as an example.
At base, it is a 4C [4]+2 skill; meaning it can be 4-6-8-10-12 as possible results.

If it were to clash against a 3+10, with a range of 3-13, that looks like a fair roll; 4-12 vs 3-13 means half the results win.
The thing is, concentrated fire only needs the enemy to min roll a single time; its own rolls don't matter at all, here.
So the actual chance of the enemy "winning" is (1/2)^4, or around 6%, assuming they have neutral sanity.
Meanwhile, a 6+10 (from G Corp Outis), has a 25% chance to lose, since while 3 out of 4 outcomes result in victory, you only have to lose once, so it ends up being worse for the clash, despite the better numbers.

and then things like Cloud Cutter (kurokumo hong lu) I like to just throw at stuff thats way too weak for it to maximize the chance of it getting the entire attack out, since its much better at damage than clashes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DuoRogue posted:

it's basically what arknights does, except less good because it doesn't work on dungeons, story or mirror.

Used both g corps - they really don't, at all. Hell, LCCB Ishmael pairs better with gregor than G Corp Outis.
Liu definitely does, given meursault just gets better the more burn you have. I can't wait for a full burn team to be viable tbh.
Warp/R Corp users are pretty selfish so far, same as in ruina, and I don't see team-wide charge gen really being a thing for a while. If it does though then it'll become pretty great.
Kurokumo team is just Funny Bleed, and bleed is a lot like burn in that it only gets better the more of it you have.
Shi Team feels like a bad idea since you need your entire team to be half dead for it; having only one seems a lot safer.
Others I can't really comment on.

Kurokumo Hong Yu is arguably best as the only bleed source on the team, since his skill 2 hits twice as many times against foes with less than 4 bleed.
For W corp synergy: technically W corp Faust's support passive can help charge management for one of the other two, if you max uptie her and then kick her out of your party. But it only affects the lowest max hp party member which seems finnicky, and it gives charge count and not charge. Probably not worth it unless you're absolutely drowning in thread.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Kurokumo Hong Yu is arguably best as the only bleed source on the team, since his skill 2 hits twice as many times against foes with less than 4 bleed.
For W corp synergy: technically W corp Faust's support passive can help charge management for one of the other two, if you max uptie her and then kick her out of your party. But it only affects the lowest max hp party member which seems finnicky, and it gives charge count and not charge. Probably not worth it unless you're absolutely drowning in thread.

It may be because I don't run kurokumo rodion, but I've never really had issues with cloud cutter's condition; bleed count isn't common enough to keep enemies with high stacks, and he's usually not the fastest person that turn anyway.
So far, everything i've seen about charge cares about count, not value; Heathcliff passive wants charge count, meursault spends charge count, don quixote spends charge count, and ishmael spends charge count; literally the only charge user who doesn't is.... faust, somehow.

it's really a L Corp Remnant Faust moment; generates poise only, but passive wants poise count, so theres no way to proc it. W Corp Faust passive generates charge count.... on someone who only generates and spends charge.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
the friend thing actually is balanced since you only get 12 actions regardless of your comp
if you do it with 5 sinners you get to use their sk3 every turn

I don't know why the bee in your bonnet is about it being "unbalanced" when it's not actually available in any of the relevant content (dungeons)
like, wouldn't the main point of critique it being one of the main ways gachas let whales flex? do you get this mad about multiplayer in monster hunter

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Theantero posted:

If they wanted to add an easy mode, they could just add an easy mode. A simple 'bring +1 Sinner' toggle.

The way it's currently done is just some dumb gatcha brainrot garbage.

there's nothing more powerful in anime than the bonds of friendship

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

like of all the weird gacha genre things to get mad about, this?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
IDK I can see their point. The 6th party slot is clearly a major mechanic and I can see why you'd be upset that there's basically no "normal"/"balanced" option for it -- you can bring a level 30 friend unit to your level 5 story fight or you can ignore the 6th party slot entirely.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

MetaMeme posted:

the friend thing actually is balanced since you only get 12 actions regardless of your comp
if you do it with 5 sinners you get to use their sk3 every turn

I don't know why the bee in your bonnet is about it being "unbalanced" when it's not actually available in any of the relevant content (dungeons)
like, wouldn't the main point of critique it being one of the main ways gachas let whales flex? do you get this mad about multiplayer in monster hunter

But it's not multiplayer, now is it? It's a weird hoop you have to jump through to unlock your last team slot in a single player experience, and no matter how many gachas do something similar, it'll still be a bad design choice. Like, imagine if your last nugget in Ruina was gated behind pilfering one from someone on your friend list instead of its inclusion being part of normal game progression? Utterly baffling. Kudos to PM for avoiding the worst pitfalls of genre convention here though, since apparently it's even worse in other gachas.

(Yes, I know it's opt out, yes, I have beaten the content thus far without using any of it. It's just weird and annoying and bad and I wish having 6 sinners was something you could do on your own)

studio mujahideen posted:

like of all the weird gacha genre things to get mad about, this?

I suppose the fault lies in me for litigating this constant apologia from the entire assembled Whalers' Guild over what was supposed to be a relatively minor complaint about a specific thing I dislike in a game I otherwise enjoy. I'll bow out.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
NGL I'm kind of hoping for stuff that plays around with the party size. Mirror Dungeons have a 3/4/5 team limit depending on your floor, obviously, but like, it seems really obvious that you could do a Super Raid Mode where you use all 12 Sinners at once, or intentionally cap your team at 3/4 for extra challenge.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Theantero posted:

I suppose the fault lies in me for litigating this constant apologia from the entire assembled Whalers' Guild over what was supposed to be a relatively minor complaint about a specific thing I dislike in a game I otherwise enjoy. I'll bow out.

i think everyone understands gachas are fundamentally evil gambling horseshit. its just funny that you dug in on this, man. relax

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

once you understand mind whip, nothing can stop you

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Junpei posted:

Like the burn duo + shi for mirror dungeons, there's enough burn/wrath/lust ego gifts in there to get a real good blaze going consistently.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the Reverb Ensemble Identities are going to slap

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Theantero posted:

But it's not multiplayer, now is it? It's a weird hoop you have to jump through to unlock your last team slot in a single player experience, and no matter how many gachas do something similar, it'll still be a bad design choice. Like, imagine if your last nugget in Ruina was gated behind pilfering one from someone on your friend list instead of its inclusion being part of normal game progression? Utterly baffling. Kudos to PM for avoiding the worst pitfalls of genre convention here though, since apparently it's even worse in other gachas.

(Yes, I know it's opt out, yes, I have beaten the content thus far without using any of it. It's just weird and annoying and bad and I wish having 6 sinners was something you could do on your own)

The fault lies in you being a clown, and being annoyed when people pointed and laughed. Are you mad that you can summon people in boss fights in Dark Souls? Does aiding or getting aid from other players corpses in Nier: Automata also get your knickers in a twist? Did you return Halo when they had the gall to have co-op mode in the campaign?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Kinda not cool to pile onto a person who’s already acquiesced the point, y’know…

I have thoughts about the 6 man thing myself but they’re too nuanced (read: :words: ) to post on a phone.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

Kinda not cool to pile onto a person who’s already acquiesced the point, y’know…

I have thoughts about the 6 man thing myself but they’re too nuanced (read: :words: ) to post on a phone.
It's not really cool to "acquiesce" by calling everyone who disagrees with you wrong, stupid, and suffering from gacha brainrot (no matter how accurate that may be) either, yet here we are.

Now come on and scoop some eyeballs, the world isn't going to blind itself.

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 4, 2023

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Time will tell, but having just finished the chapter 3 dungeon the whole gacha thing feels like a major misstep. PM are clearly uninterested in making anything simple enough to fit expectations for the genre and that was like 10x too long for a mobile play session. Seems like everyone involved would have been happier if they'd gone for an episodic release format instead.

And I will never stop mind whipping on 0 charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just wanted to say it's kinda minor but I love this little bit:

Where Meursault-of all people-is trying to calm/stop Angry Sinclair. That's sweet.