Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Anya posted:

It’s the sweet sweet sugar and magic that makes me buy overpriced shirts and meals

I finished the half! Weather was perfect and running through the castle and seeing my friends cheer for me on Main Street was pretty cool. Now insane enough to consider the WDW full in January.

Also, hitting the parks post race meant I did 20.55 miles Sunday and 11.44 on Monday. So I’m truly an idiot as I limped around with my medal.

Do it! It was my first marathon and the environment made it way less intimidating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Diabetic posted:

It baffles me on this take, piss off the mouse enough they will abandon Florida to the swamp it is. I frankly would love to see it.

That won’t happen. They’ll be around long after DeSantis. (Do I need to register with Florida to make this post?)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Bottom Liner posted:

Do it! It was my first marathon and the environment made it way less intimidating.

Honestly I think I will. This was my 5th half but it was a really enjoyable race, despite my complete lack of prep. If I’m going to finally bite the bullet on a full, I might as well do it in a fun place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’re allowing it to get this far because it will be a lot easier for them to fight it when it’s shown to directly damage them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I rode Tron today. It's pretty good. The launch is really fun but the whole ride is short. I think I prefer Guardians at Epcot but it's a solid addition to Magic Kingdom.

Oh and the locker system is very clever.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Nah, they won’t because they’ll never put together a property deal like that again unless they go to a part of the country where there’s no way the weather will let them operate year round. There’s a reason they haven’t built a resort in the Midwest somewhere.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Cutting investment to Florida while just going all-in on explicit anti-Republican messaging country-wide would be another option. End every ad with "Local Republicans mad about this? Blame Ron DeSantis!"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Coasterphreak posted:

Nah, they won’t because they’ll never put together a property deal like that again unless they go to a part of the country where there’s no way the weather will let them operate year round.
For extra exploding heads, move to San Juan.

S.T.A.R.S.
Feb 7, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this is the start of our cyberpunk future where the corporations take over the political scheme

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Nah, they won’t because they’ll never put together a property deal like that again unless they go to a part of the country where there’s no way the weather will let them operate year round. There’s a reason they haven’t built a resort in the Midwest somewhere.

Give it 5-10 more years the way the weather is and they could probably build in upper NY without worrying about blizzards.

I honestly don't know why they don't invest somewhere else, though. Somewhere that's still cold now, but sincerely, in a decade or two it oughta be changed enough to work with year-round. Especially if it's mostly indoor stuff.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Because building a new theme park would be really, really, really expensive and a pain in the rear end.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Epic Universe is a six billion dollar project for a theme park, two hotels, and infrastructure projects.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

Epic Universe is a six billion dollar project for a theme park, two hotels, and infrastructure projects.

That sounds way cheaper than I imagined. By like, half at least.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bottom Liner posted:

That sounds way cheaper than I imagined. By like, half at least.

If you include the money Vivendi spent buying it from Lockheed and doing environmental remediation, plus the bullshit after, you're probably not wrong in 2023 dollars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s also taking significant advantage of existing infrastructure too.

Not that they can’t afford it, but the cost for building in a brand new area would be much higher.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Finally coming back down to visit after I moved away so I can ride Tron and Guardians in May. Blessed.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aphrodite posted:

It’s also taking significant advantage of existing infrastructure too.

Not that they can’t afford it, but the cost for building in a brand new area would be much higher.

To be fair, Disney is the reason most of that infrastructure is as robust as it is.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/jpalmerdubs/status/1632450517422194688?s=46&t=zT_I03vxpg3zsfxl4cf83A

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Give it 5-10 more years the way the weather is and they could probably build in upper NY without worrying about blizzards.

I honestly don't know why they don't invest somewhere else, though. Somewhere that's still cold now, but sincerely, in a decade or two it oughta be changed enough to work with year-round. Especially if it's mostly indoor stuff.

Disney likely has some decades-forward plans for new parks if California and Florida become completely non-viable, but those sorts of plans would be very closely held since they're also easy for competitors to disrupt before they've even gotten started.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did exactly that to Universal with MGM Studios themselves.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Midjack posted:

Disney likely has some decades-forward plans for new parks if California and Florida become completely non-viable, but those sorts of plans would be very closely held since they're also easy for competitors to disrupt before they've even gotten started.

When Disney starts buying “random” plots of land in Idaho, head for the hills.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

When Disney starts buying “random” plots of land in Idaho, head for the hills.

I expect there's a REIT sitting on a few hundred square miles in either of the northern corners of the country since the late 90s.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
In Disney adjacent news - took my daughter to see the broadway version of Aladdin. I bring this up because the cruise line version of the same show aboard the Fantasy and Wish on DCL is actually better across the board.

I also don't know why they felt compelled to bloat the runtime of the story to almost 3 hours. If you haven't seen it, they added a B-plot with Aladdin's three best friends from the streets of Agrabah who he runs schemes with and who later go on to bust Al out of the sultan's prison.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Aside from a more interesting take on Genie, I really disliked the Aladdin Broadway.

What they did with the Genie was really a solid alternative to the hard to beat Robin Williams performance.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Doronin posted:

In Disney adjacent news - took my daughter to see the broadway version of Aladdin. I bring this up because the cruise line version of the same show aboard the Fantasy and Wish on DCL is actually better across the board.

I also don't know why they felt compelled to bloat the runtime of the story to almost 3 hours. If you haven't seen it, they added a B-plot with Aladdin's three best friends from the streets of Agrabah who he runs schemes with and who later go on to bust Al out of the sultan's prison.

Wasn't that essentially in the first draft of the movie? I seem to recall hearing they even had a song that was written for the four of them and had a demo recorded before the whole thing got cut.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

couldcareless posted:

Aside from a more interesting take on Genie, I really disliked the Aladdin Broadway.

What they did with the Genie was really a solid alternative to the hard to beat Robin Williams performance.

Agree on Genie. I thoroughly enjoyed that version, assuming it's the same regardless of where you see it and whose playing him.

I didn't necessarily dislike it though. Although the more I think about it, the more soured I get toward it. Like, the Friend Like Me segment in the Cave of Wonders felt nearly as long as the actual movie, and Jasmine barely had anything to do. Jafar also didn't sing much, which is a shame because that performer had a big booming voice I'd like to have heard more of.

Superrodan posted:

Wasn't that essentially in the first draft of the movie? I seem to recall hearing they even had a song that was written for the four of them and had a demo recorded before the whole thing got cut.

I had to Google, but apparently, that was the case. I'll be damned. I knew the song Proud of Your Boy was cut from the original movie, but I didn't know the early drafts were basically the basis of the broadway version.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They should just buy the script for Twisted and perform that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1633104458044395526

Hey, what if this had just been a Star Wars Hotel like we all wanted from the start.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
All this means is they have a five day active week and two days downtime to run repairs, upgrades, bring new cast up to speed etc. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Disney planned for an initial huge surge and it lasted longer than they thought it would given how slow they are to release blocks of bookings. They still haven't opened bookings to people from outside the USA (and maybe Canada?) yet either, so there's still a market there that's not had a chance to try pay for it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That makes me feel better. I've been squirreling away money like crazy to try and get in on this hoping it doesn't close before I get my chance. I also cringe a bit at the cost of putting together some costumes...

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
What was the first single IP land?

The little mermaid area in DisneySea?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

couldcareless posted:

That makes me feel better. I've been squirreling away money like crazy to try and get in on this hoping it doesn't close before I get my chance. I also cringe a bit at the cost of putting together some costumes...
Throwing something "good enough" together is pretty trivially costed compared to almost any other expense for a Disney trip. The toughest part to find is shoes.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Arquinsiel posted:

Throwing something "good enough" together is pretty trivially costed compared to almost any other expense for a Disney trip. The toughest part to find is shoes.
Boba Fett basically just wear high top converse in RotJ, I think I'll be fine

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those are actually called "chelsea boots" and are one of the easier Star Wars footwear things to find. You'll still probably drop 50+ on a pair though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

What was the first single IP land?

The little mermaid area in DisneySea?

It may actually be Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It may actually be Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure.

Does that predate Marvel island? And Seuss? I assumed they were all there at opening.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bottom Liner posted:

Does that predate Marvel island? And Seuss? I assumed they were all there at opening.

They were, but JP is a single IP. Both Marvel and Seuss contain multiple related IPs.

E: and that wasn’t even what kicked off the IP land thing, it was Harry Potter.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 8, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Camp Snoopy in 83 at Knotts?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bottom Liner posted:

Camp Snoopy in 83 at Knotts?

poo poo, I didn’t even think about that. Probably the correct answer.

I guess Smurf Island at Carowinds would also qualify but that didn’t open till 84.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Wasn't Smurf Island just a playground inside Carowinds' Hanna-Barbera area? What qualifies as a "land"? If that counts, then Tom Sawyer Island beats it by decades.

Happy Land of Hanna-Barbera was in Kings Island in '72, but that's multiple IP. Berenstain Bear Country opened at Cedar Point in '85.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 8, 2023