Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

zmcnulty posted:

The Smoky Scotch Highball at 7-Eleven. Uses Tomatin.
https://legendary-scot.jp/#other_product

I'll keep an eye out for this one for sure!

For any one else into trying out all the alcoholic bevos at the konbinis, I recommend this one:

Basically a Yakult (probiotic yoghurt drink) flavoured chuhai. Thought it would be a novelty but it actually kinda owns.

MJP posted:

It's possible but uncertain. That's a good point, but I'd like to at least make an attempt at attaching stuff to the experience. "I found this in Tokyo" is just different than "I found this on Ebay and had it shipped".

Worst-case scenario, I have the US release PVG sheet music, and I can probably figure out the actual solo parts with help and experience, but it's a nice collector thing to do, really.

What stood out for you? We'll be based in Osaka and I don't mind doing a day trip out to Onomichi and Hiroshima. Full disclosure, I only know of Onomichi because of Yakuza 6, but if it's got half as much really good oysters as they talk about in the game, I'm 100% down to check it out.

Also, unrelated question: are yuzu-hais pretty much at any given izakaya? Any other recs for fun drinks that are common enough for a non-beer drinking spouse?

You can see my post about Onomichi a couple above yours. I haven't played yakuza so I've no idea how it compares to the game's representation of it, but I thought it was a great way to break up a lot of time spent in big cities.

Yuzu-hais will probably be available at bigger Izakaya where they offer a lot of different mixers, but nearly every single small resteraunt, let alone bars, will offer at least lemon sours and whisky highballs for the non-beer drinkers. Umeshu and sake are also very common.

edit to add my shinkansen drink for the day, Takara's Hassaku orange chuhai (I also have a large kaku-hai, for any of you worrying about me getting thirsty):

field balm fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

9% or don’t bother.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Kirin Fuji Gotemba is a very underrated distillery tour, probably because most people don't even know Kirin makes whisky. Unlike Yamazaki or Hakushu you don't have to compete with the entirety of China to make a reservation either.

It's also where Kirin makes Hyoketsu, lol

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Isn't Bailey's and milk a standard drink in most bars in the world?
Kept getting confused looks from bartenders for ordering it back home in Ireland, but maybe we’re just weird here!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm partial to a Brandy Alexander myself, but I've only met one guy in NZ who even knew what that was.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hello Japan thread! I'm going to Japan in late December for three weeks, and I've never been there before. I'm also not used to cold weather or snow so that's something I'm going to plan for as apparently that could happen while I'm there, although I'm not planning to go skiing or do any snow related things. With that in mind, what kind of shoes should I take with me? Can I get away with comfortable sneakers, wool socks and those stud strap things? Or will I need to look at getting some kind of leather boots? I anticipate doing a lot of walking on this trip.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Depends where you're going but sneakers with thick socks should be fine. I really hate the cold so I wear HeatTech stuff from Uniqlo as well.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
City walking - sneakers. If you start slipping or see a lot of icy sidewalks you can buy those slip on shoe spikes in Hokkaido.

Wait that’s just Hokkaido, if it’s regular first time tourist japan Tokyo Osaka Kyoto then don’t worry. Oh and don’t overpack, you can buy extra layers or heat tech Uniqlo under thermals when you arrive or feel extra cold. Heated rooms are common enough in the cities and public transit.

Don’t over pack and if you feel cold, just start walking faster

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Great, good to know thanks! I already have some heattech stuff and one of those uniqlo down coats that I plan to wear everywhere like a wonderful puffy blanket.

I haven't put an itinerary together yet, just bought flights in and out of Haneda and plan on doing more reading before I figure out what to do and see.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Wonton posted:

Heated rooms are common enough in the cities and public transit.

LOL. Heated rooms. More like infernos.

Be prepared to be nice and comfy walking around outside and then walking into a restaurant and having to strip down nude to avoid passing out from heat stroke.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Honestly 0 degrees sound bad in Tokyo, but if you carry a small backpack it blocks a lot of wind. And you don’t even need the puffy down jacket, I thought I would be scared “oh no cold cold cold”

But

Just wear a thin Uniqlo undershirt, regular shirt, and one more jacket. Is good enough.

Same with pants, a longer heat tech but thinner type is good. Ultra warm should be saved for skiing and you end up sweating too easily and getting clammy

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
BOSS COFFEE keeps you warm all the time

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I can admit I've bought a boss coffee just to stick down my shirt once.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Hot drinks from vending machines are amazing and I wish they existed in the US.

I need to heartily endorse Google Lens to everyone not comfortable reading kanji. I've got food allergies and using it to read every ingredient list on the food we bought kept me from my nightmare of needing to be rushed to the hospital.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Weather all depends where you're going too. Generally if you're going to be on the Sea of Japan side of Honshu or up north, be prepared for a shitload of snow and cold. If you're in Kyushu/Shikoku/Pacific side of Honshu below like Sendai (certainly Tokyo and further south/west), it won't be that cold and snow is rare.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I live in Australia, I'm of small build and I'm just not acclimatised to winter weather. I start to feel the cold once the temperature drops under 15C or so. For me, 10C and under is puffy coat and beanie time.

I did a Christmas in Italy about a decade ago and while it got down to zero it refused to snow :argh: I remember feeling the cold cutting through me even though I was wearing thermals. I also remember my feet getting destroyed because as cool as they look, Dr Martens boots aren't great for walking like 10hrs a day so I'm not going to be making that mistake again.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Wonton posted:

BOSS COFFEE keeps you warm all the time

To hell with that, those things are 3NZD apiece.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You Anzacs should take a trip together and keep each other warm.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

bee posted:

I live in Australia, I'm of small build and I'm just not acclimatised to winter weather. I start to feel the cold once the temperature drops under 15C or so. For me, 10C and under is puffy coat and beanie time.

I did a Christmas in Italy about a decade ago and while it got down to zero it refused to snow :argh: I remember feeling the cold cutting through me even though I was wearing thermals. I also remember my feet getting destroyed because as cool as they look, Dr Martens boots aren't great for walking like 10hrs a day so I'm not going to be making that mistake again.

I'm from Queensland and I've been here for the last almost 3 weeks, it's been between 0 and 15 and I've honestly just worn jeans, a denim jacket and a cap :shrug:. I think I wore the beanie I brought once?

E: I'm a kinda big boy at the moment though

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There are many comfortable shoes in the world but my personal preference is New Balance 373 or 574

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eq8TOiqkCM

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

My wife got some great cheap hand cream at a Welcia while we were there last month and Amazon wants to charge far too much. Would anyone be willing to get some and send it, assuming of course I pay for everything?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shipping got stupid expensive during covid.
Check Japanese/Asian markets in your area.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

As an example in December I sent a goon a Japanese magic card and the post office wanted like 4000 yen to send by airmail. I sent it by surface and they still haven't gotten it, so I assume it was just stolen. You'd basically have to add 50USD to get something heavier like hand cream sent.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

teddust posted:

As an example in December I sent a goon a Japanese magic card and the post office wanted like 4000 yen to send by airmail. I sent it by surface and they still haven't gotten it, so I assume it was just stolen.

It’s gotten better but yeah I’ve spent $70 for small packages around Christmas time.

Also surface mail takes months because it’s going by ship, I wouldn’t assume it’s gone quite yet. Like 3-4 months sometimes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I've had surface mail from Asia arrive in the US in a week, in six months, and everything in between. I wouldn't worry yet.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Thanks for the info.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I work for a Japanese company and I'm not directly involved in the supply chain side of things but I do get copied on a bunch of them.

poo poo has been nuts for quite some time. Lots of delays at ports, etc. An absolute nightmare for those people.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dormy’s great and all, but we’re gonna be in Takamatsu for a good few nights, and dad wants something cozier for that length of time. I don’t know anything about longer, more comfortable accommodation options in Japan. I know AirBnB exists, but gently caress AirBnB. What else is there between the two options? Any reputable nicer-than-Dormy hotels or types of hotels to look out for?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
We'll be going to the Kansai region for 2 weeks in late August. I'm expecting it to be hot and muggy. Is it worth bringing mosquito repellent? Will things calm down after Bon?

Any recs outside of the usual tourist highlights (Gion, Arashiyama, Dotonbori, etc.) in Kansai?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Dormy’s great and all, but we’re gonna be in Takamatsu for a good few nights, and dad wants something cozier for that length of time. I don’t know anything about longer, more comfortable accommodation options in Japan. I know AirBnB exists, but gently caress AirBnB. What else is there between the two options? Any reputable nicer-than-Dormy hotels or types of hotels to look out for?

Just do a price filter on google maps.
My definition of nice and comfortable is when the bathroom doesn't have the sink and shower molded from a single piece of plastic.
Or upgrading to a triple will give you more space.

Just like apartment hunting, you may choose 2 of 3: layout, location, affordable price.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

peanut posted:

Just do a price filter on google maps.
My definition of nice and comfortable is when the bathroom doesn't have the sink and shower molded from a single piece of plastic.
Or upgrading to a triple will give you more space.

Just like apartment hunting, you may choose 2 of 3: layout, location, affordable price.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Crampy Grampaw posted:

We'll be going to the Kansai region for 2 weeks in late August. I'm expecting it to be hot and muggy. Is it worth bringing mosquito repellent? Will things calm down after Bon?

Any recs outside of the usual tourist highlights (Gion, Arashiyama, Dotonbori, etc.) in Kansai?

Absolutely bring mosquito repellent especially if you are going to Arashiyama, though if you are "lucky" August will be too hot for mosquitos like last year. I recommend Shimogamo shrine because it's not generally as crowded as the big tourist locations and its right near the river crossing where you can hop across stone turtles.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am leaving in a week (next Sunday, specifically). So loving pumped.

Googling seems to indicate that there shouldn't be a problem with visiting from the U.S. with a vaccine card and a passport (no testing or anything necessary); anyone had any issues beyond that?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ham Equity posted:

I am leaving in a week (next Sunday, specifically). So loving pumped.

Googling seems to indicate that there shouldn't be a problem with visiting from the U.S. with a vaccine card and a passport (no testing or anything necessary); anyone had any issues beyond that?

Have you registered online yet?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Register your 3+ vaccine doc on the Visit Japan Web portal.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I actually gave someone else my screen shot blue code and they managed to get through the airport.

Apparently he only had 2 shots and the PCR result he submitted was not good enough.

The whole process is really fast. I did mine last minute like 6 hours before flight departure and I’m ok

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Have you registered online yet?

peanut posted:

Register your 3+ vaccine doc on the Visit Japan Web portal.

I had not done this, thank you. If I do this, do I need to bring my vax card with me, still?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
If someone else can use some random blue screen or verified quarantine status then it doesn’t matter whether you have a vaccine card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I had not done this, thank you. If I do this, do I need to bring my vax card with me, still?

Ignore wonton's unlawful suggestion.
It's always good to have, just in case, but a photo uploaded to the portal is good enough for the immigration check.