Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Don't forget Ron Pearlman having the goofiest head shot death in all cinema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Here's my annual reminder to everyone in this thread to watch Banshee. Four seasons, currently streaming on HBO Max (at least for now). Anyone who loves action movies will fall in love with this show. Banshee is pure id, pulpy and violent and full of nudity and sex and incredible fight choreography, especially by TV standards. And it runs through plot twists and villains in single episodes that would be season-long arcs on any number of other shows.

Season 4 quite clearly completely ran out of money and fight choreographers and was a bit disappointing, especially after how bugfuck insane Season 3 was, but it was nice to have things resolved.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Snowman_McK posted:

Season 4 quite clearly completely ran out of money and fight choreographers and was a bit disappointing, especially after how bugfuck insane Season 3 was, but it was nice to have things resolved.

Antony Starr also said he was pretty beat up from all the fight choreography by then and didn't want to do the fight scenes anymore. But the first 3 seasons rule.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Antony Starr also said he was pretty beat up from all the fight choreography by then and didn't want to do the fight scenes anymore. But the first 3 seasons rule.

That doesnt' surprise me at all. I just feel sorry for for some of the supporting players like Matt Servitto. Dude went from kind of schlubby in the first season to the platonic ideal of 'old man jacked' by the last and he never really got a good fight scene to show that off. Or the reformed Neo-Nazi. No one told Tom Pelphrey or Chris Coy that they were in the stupidest show on television and didn't need to put that much work into their broken fraternal relationship. It deserved a better ending than a short punch up on a lawn.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Looks like SISU is hitting theatres on April 28. Get the gently caress in, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2k4QAItiSA

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

flashy_mcflash posted:

Looks like SISU is hitting theatres on April 28. Get the gently caress in, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2k4QAItiSA

hell yes

wick 4 end of march, sisu end of april, fast x end of may. i'm thinking i'm back..to the theaters

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 21, 2023

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh, hell the gently caress yeah. Sold!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean, I suspected what was going to happen. I didn't expect the "just how badass is he?" sequence in the trailer!

Looks very stupid but so was Overlord and I loved that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, as far as sniper scenes go, i like this one, from a decent Tony Scott film-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCfPF90BfXQ

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't know why I never realized Spy Game was Tony Scott. I should revisit it, I remember think it was pretty drat good when it came out. A bit of an old school spy thriller in the sense that like half the movie takes place in offices with the CIA people talking to each other, but Robert Redford and the script make all of those scenes surprisingly entertaining.

I've gained a new respect for Tony Scott since I got into the 4k thing with physical media, he just injects style into everything he shoots where a lot of directors don't really bother. Like when you have a shot of a character driving their car down the road, Tony Scott makes sure it's during a beautiful vivid sunset or something along those lines. He's the kind of director where I could easily enjoy his stuff even if it were on mute.

Edit: a bummer to remember that this post should've been written in past tense. RIP

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i cant get over how great these jacobus deep dive videos are that get like 200 views on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnG0mhCh6NU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Yeah they're really great. The only problem I have is that he moves so fast his points don't always have enough time to land.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched some more South Indian movies in the type of Pushpa, RRR.

-KGF 2. There is so much exposition in this, I hate the color palette it just feels dark like a CAM rip for some reason even on Amazon Prime. There are a few moments where it's just ridiculous in the best way South Indian cinema can be but it doesn't happen enough.The dual timeline was annoying as well just made it slower paced than even the first.
-Darbar, so this is apparently by a legendary South actor. I loved this. I haven't seen anyone talk about it but it's basically a bad cop who doesn't give a flying gently caress and follows no rules after his daughter is murdered by criminals. He just goes on a rampage literally sends the whole city into fear by killing every criminal he finds. It's so freaking crazy. The action set pieces are not that unique but the character is so badass its one of my favorites.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anyone seen Singham? I was interested after seeing a gif of him pulling someone out of a spinning car but the opening 15 minutes were so poorly paced I tapped out before seeing any of the action sequences. 30s of someone DRAMATICALLY. WALKING. DOWN. A HALLWAY. with slo-mo and multiple angles.

Should I have held out?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I had a fun with Agneepath (1990) a kind of Indian riff on Scarface + 1980s Jerry Bruckheimer/Don Simpson aesthetics. The plotting is a bit murky and scattershot and it does feel it's length, but it's terrific to look at - so much red on white - and I'd especially recommend it if you're looking for something as over the top as recent Indian actioners but more tactile.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Xand_Man posted:

Anyone seen Singham? I was interested after seeing a gif of him pulling someone out of a spinning car but the opening 15 minutes were so poorly paced I tapped out before seeing any of the action sequences. 30s of someone DRAMATICALLY. WALKING. DOWN. A HALLWAY. with slo-mo and multiple angles.

Should I have held out?

It's been a while but yeah, I enjoyed it. There was a lot of padding but the over the top scenes were worth it for me. Fwiw I enjoyed the original Tamil movie better (Singam, no H).

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
The Michelle Yeoh kicks rear end collection on criterion channel is good stuff. Royal Warriors was such a fun 80s Hong Kong action film with some lethal weapons vibes. Cool set pieces like the bar/restaurant and a car chase with 3 different ramps to jump.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Should I have held out?

Like Dokmo said it's fun, usually the hindi version don't catch the south magic. But the main actor of that is actual originally a south actor so he does a good job.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Te most realistic fight I’ve ever seen cam from an unexpected place:

https://youtu.be/P89X-j-TWVE

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

from the badass thread

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dokmo posted:

from the badass thread

Pro-click, must watch, etc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dokmo posted:

from the badass thread

love the shot at 1:55 where the stage rotates

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone see 65 yet? I was hoping for a dope rear end action 90 min movie with Adam Driver going turok but it's apparently not even cheesy fun and just kind of a reheated A Quiet Place

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyone see 65 yet? I was hoping for a dope rear end action 90 min movie with Adam Driver going turok but it's apparently not even cheesy fun and just kind of a reheated A Quiet Place

I suddenly wish it was a Turok movie, goddamn.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it was not good, just bad boring, self-serious, and surprisingly cheap...really not a lot of dinosaurs or action

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
New Wick reviews are starting to come out and it's hilariously consistent so far

Can't believe it's been 4 years since the last one, wtf. Ten days until it's in theaters here but even though it was starting to get a bit tedious I think I'll go see it anway.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I just need to see Scott Adkins fighting in a fat suit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Each one of the sequels had me nervous and then delivered and was fun, so my default expectation is it will be a fun dumb shoot guys movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

New Wick reviews are starting to come out and it's hilariously consistent so far

Can't believe it's been 4 years since the last one, wtf. Ten days until it's in theaters here but even though it was starting to get a bit tedious I think I'll go see it anway.

IndieWire called it the best action movie since Fury Road, which seems like high praise from IndieWire.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
It's funny because most of the reviews were either "This movie is amazing because it's 3 hours of action" or "This movie is good but a little exhausting because it's 3 hours of action"

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
And everyone agrees they did right by Donnie Yen

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

thatfuturekid posted:

It's funny because most of the reviews were either "This movie is amazing because it's 3 hours of action" or "This movie is good but a little exhausting because it's 3 hours of action"

I just need to know when I can pee during it safely.

https://twitter.com/ShakExcellence/status/1635681890626678784?t=qaok1qlpK1ka6h_s2rl4tA&s=191

https://twitter.com/ShakExcellence/status/1635683840273395726?t=bu1W007lqbfhHI6UxSchgw&s=19

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

There's at least one dude in John Wick 4 with a tactical lever action, I'm fuckin stoked.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

There's at least one dude in John Wick 4 with a tactical lever action, I'm fuckin stoked.

They brought back the armoured SWAT dudes (which were my favourite part of 3) but made their armour all samurai looking. This movie is going to be dumb as poo poo in the best possible way.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Finally got around to watching the bahubalis which were not at all what I expected. I'd sadly seen a bunch of the highlights of action already and kept hoping more would happen and it just wasnt there. The fight choreo was a big letdown in the first one and not a ton better in the second UNTIL the final fight which ruled.

I did like the songs more than I expected, especially the climbing the waterfall one. There was just an awful lot of court intrigue in giant sets.

Thankfully it has a badass theme song , at least in the Tamil version I watched. Dun dun dundundundee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK9ohIzeYSk this one

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 16, 2023

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

This is important.

https://cityonfire.com/versus-star-...udai-yamaguchi/

I think the last thing Tak starred in (aside from Crazy Samurai Musashi, which doesn't count) was Re:Born, which is a personal knife fightin' favorite of mine. Sonomura is one of the best fight choreographers/fight directors working today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yij5YY-qN5w

dokmo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 16, 2023

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Yeah I’m so stoked on this! Hopefully it gets picked up HiYah or something for an American release

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

dokmo posted:

I think the last thing Tak starred in (aside from Crazy Samurai Musashi, which doesn't count) was Re:Born, which is a personal knife fightin' favorite of mine.

This motivated me to finally watch Re:Born and it's definitely a recommend with more heart than I expected, had to keep reminding myself it came out 5 years before The Night Comes For Us given the similarities

There's definitely some goofy stuff in it though, I don't think the guy's joint-popping shoulder-rolling thing was quite as cool as they thought it was given that he does it in like every scene and I lost my poo poo when he and the other guy started doing it at each other during the climactic battle

And please sir, turn sideways, your body is sticking out from both sides of the small tree you are supposedly hiding behind (this happens at least 3 times)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

VROOM VROOM posted:

And please sir, turn sideways, your body is sticking out from both sides of the small tree you are supposedly hiding behind (this happens at least 3 times)

Still the funniest thing Tom Arnold ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

He does dodge bullets in like every scene also so if anyone wants to watch Re:Born but only has 20 seconds to live you can just watch this

(I kid, there's a whole lot of cool stuff in the movie, to the point that ridiculous creative kills become just part of the set dressing. My personal favorite is two guys punching a guy in one shoulder each from opposite directions so hard that it snaps his neck)

e: wait Re:Born is a Shudder exclusive :lol: there's also a grainy copy on Youtube

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 17, 2023