Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Calidus posted:

Let me guess you deflected an unblockable attack went to punish and then he started another unblockable attack.
i am going to get punked several times by this

source: i have already been punked several times by this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Calidus posted:

It’s good challenge it took me at least 20 attempts and I have done everything else in 5 or less. Let me guess you deflected an unblockable attack went to punish and then he started another unblockable attack.

Every time :negative:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/61N0PEC.mp4

yeah this game rules

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I really want to like this game but it feels like the further in I get the worse the performance issues are. Random stuttering and slowdowns all over the place make it completely unplayable at times. There's really no excuse for it either when Nioh 2 ran completely fine on this exact same computer.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Every time :negative:

At least you haven't gotten him to ~5% and then gotten run over by his loving dumbass horse gently caress

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
2 nitpicks I have early on:

- Why is there no way to compare equipment you're viewing with your currently equipped stuff? Unless I'm blind I can't find that option anywhere
- All the early game armor has been this yellow turban stuff and it's ugly

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I feel like I'm missing a mechanic somewhere- every review and conversation I've seen has talked about how hyperaggressive the combat wants you to be, but it feels to me like aggression is a terrible idea- yes, it fills your spirit gauge, but when yokai and bosses can kill you in 1-2 hits it's vital to deflect consistently, and it seems like deflect explicitly can't come out while I'm swinging. So is the intended gameplay less bloodborne, and more elden ring where I make a single attack, back off to dodge/deflect poo poo, and repeat?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Eschatos posted:

What's the deal with magic? It feels extremely weak. I'll probably load up on buffs and try that instead but so far I don't see the point.

It is a lot weaker than other games like DS or Nioh, but you can also cast it multiple times in every fight forever as long as you get a few deflects first. I get the feeling you're meant to work it into your regular attacks much more frequently than in games with item/MP based magics.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I feel like I'm missing a mechanic somewhere- every review and conversation I've seen has talked about how hyperaggressive the combat wants you to be, but it feels to me like aggression is a terrible idea- yes, it fills your spirit gauge, but when yokai and bosses can kill you in 1-2 hits it's vital to deflect consistently, and it seems like deflect explicitly can't come out while I'm swinging. So is the intended gameplay less bloodborne, and more elden ring where I make a single attack, back off to dodge/deflect poo poo, and repeat?

the window to deflect is actually fairly generous, and you can often get off deflects in the last 1/4th of your swing animation, depending on the weapon

other than that, it's about figuring out the tempo you need to attack an enemy with in order to not get clobbered by their hyperarmor attacks. the tigers are a good example: if you just go HAM and swing nonstop, you're gonna get clipped constantly by them, so i typically stagger my attacks and only do, like, 2-4 swings (depending on the weapon), then wait half a second to see what their windup is looking like; if there's nothing, i'll make one swing, then wait again, and then respond appropriately to their next attack. i wanna call it "staggered aggression," where you're attacking purposefully with an eye towards what an enemy is capable of, and it's very close to what sekiro's combat model is like

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Omi no Kami posted:

Well no. Just like every action game you just have to recognize the enemy patterns and how aggressive they are and what are the clear tells they are going to attack. Observe!

You can't cancel out of everything so you need to get a feel for each enemy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't believe they took the morale leveling system from Musou All Stars.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah I spoke too soon, my FPS is routinely dropping by half which would be poor but tolerable if it didn't also come with the entire game speed slowing down, not just half FPS but half speed. unsure how that's even functioning in multiplayer but it is.

there are also very extended periods (a minute+) where the netcode just completely breaks down and things teleport everywhere, don't move or take no damage, and I'm confident it's not a network issue on either side. never had this issue in nioh 2.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 4, 2023

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is this game significantly easier than Nioh? I'm just ripping through bosses in one go.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

JBP posted:

Is this game significantly easier than Nioh? I'm just ripping through bosses in one go.

If you go back to Nioh its not all that hard either.

Im glad they didnt feel the need to just one up themselves and they kept the base difficulty relatively the same across all games Nioh/Stranger/Wo Long

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

JBP posted:

it's partly a consequence of the whole ki meter system becoming vastly more simplified and getting tied into your main method of defense, so it's not like nioh 2 where you had to know how to game the system effectively to deplete a boss's ki for a crit. your main defense is tied into your main offensive move at the hip, so it's easier to turn bad situations around with a crit attack deflect that would've otherwise been fatal in nioh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I'm in super light armour and feel pretty much untouchable. I'm sure it helps that I went with the pro early strat of getting hp, but I only did it because it makes stick hit harder. Stick hit thing good.

The parry system rules and the flashiness is great.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this game is so loving good, it's hard to believe it. just a straightforwardly expertly-polished third person ARPG that controls like a dream and a core combat loop that is never boring, not for one ding dong second

if team ninja wants a proprietary combat formula they can carry forwards into a whole suite of games, this is it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm enjoying it but I miss the weapon skill tree. It's cool the weapons come with the moves, but I liked how many options you ended up with in nioh with cheeky counters and stuff. Maybe that will all come online as I get more weapons. I'm still using basic stick that the lady made more sticky for me.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Yeah I spoke too soon, my FPS is routinely dropping by half which would be poor but tolerable if it didn't also come with the entire game speed slowing down, not just half FPS but half speed. unsure how that's even functioning in multiplayer but it is.

Yea the first 4-5 missions were completely fine, but once I started getting further into the game this started happening more and more. The giant outdoor levels were the worst.

Had this interesting bug happen, I was extremely confused when he jumped me while fighting another enemy the first time around. Second time I was looking around for him and well....

https://i.imgur.com/rrJTr9q.mp4

This completely owned though.

https://i.imgur.com/XHJugY9.mp4

Cinara fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 4, 2023

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

If anyone cares I did some pretty short and likely inaccurate tests in the demo.

The damage is from an arrow from an early guy on the 2nd stage. The % after damage is the effective reduction. The actual game calc is way more complicated and does a % plus flat. Some nerd or actual data miner probably knows better.

The dodge type changes from flip to roll at C rank. A thing about the flip is you can roll after it too if you push the button again.

The hammer and DB cost is the cost to dodge with the hammer and dual swords. These go up at 0% because one of the gear pieces had like -2% to dodge cost or something. The Deflect Gen is how much spirit you generated deflecting the arrow. Notice at D rank (encumbered) you can't even deflect.

So from this small data set, unless you're really good at deflecting, probably most players want to be in rank B. In A you generate a small amount more of spirit, but you take double damage (from an arrow on the 2nd stage, who knows for later). At C it's already really bad only giving a negligible amount of mitigation for increased dodge costs and cutting deflect spirit gen in half.

That said it doesn't account for Earth stat allowing you to push that % down through level ups. So you could be in A rank with B gear and benefit from both.

Bleeding edge, using A is probably the best if you can keep up with the deflections since you can use the extra gen to spam attacks and more dodge/deflects.

itskage fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 4, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

poe meater posted:

Can I deflect everything (assuming I have enough stamina)? Or should I be guarding/rolling more?

Also does upgrading armor have a big effect on defense?

Yes you can deflect everything, even weird poo poo that you don't think you could (like these huge expanding fire rings an early boss shoots out). Just deflect everything.

I never found a build that could tank stuff even in heavy armour, so I just deflected everything all the time ever.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You guys were right this owns

Was hoping for more nioh-like spear combat but that’s fine. Still feeling it out, but I think I’m going to do what I inevitably always do and hard focus being a huge beeftank

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
When did the Travel option become available? If it wasn't for the village pit stop at the start of part 3 I would have never noticed it and the side quests.

Given how relatively easy it is to spirit break bosses it definitely feels like boss battles are either feast or famine, with it being a blowout in either direction.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm glad the 2nd level just happened to be ugly as the rest of the game so far has been quite good looking. Feels like a particularly bad choice for a demo.

Dunno about build stuff I've been going mostly into Wood with a little Earth and Water. I found a sword that scales well with Wood (ring saber) that has good moves and getting damage along with more HP and support magic seems a good choice. Picked up Water for its support magic as well. Magic as a primary seems underwhelming unless there is some way to have more than 4 spells I haven't encountered yet.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dual Swords own, now trying to find a second weapon to go with my Water/ Fire glass deflect build.

Game loving owns, I get a little bit of the flickering on steam but nothing that makes the game unplayable, hopefully there is a fix for that soon, because it is one of the most satisfying combat loops in years.

Nioh and Sekiro had a baby and it was Wuxia Kung Fu

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

someone mentioned it earlier in this thread but you can fix the flickering by turning off ambient occlusion (and maybe also vsync in addition to that). i tested it myself and all of the flickering is gone now.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Just had a fight against Lu Bu and I'm not really a fan of it He's to fast for you to be aggressive since you'll never reach him and he outruns the tracking on spells. Deflection puts him too far away for you to hit him with swords and he recovers too fast to get more than on hit in with a larger weapon and that's if he just doesn't keep running afterwards. Also he can just invalidate your short term progress by jumping back on the horse if you trigger the phases wrong. So while it's amusing that "Do not pursue Lu Bu" is the correct tactic, it was pretty boring that the only way for me to beat him was to stand in the middle holding block, waiting for him to get close enough to deflect and then poke him once with a spear until he ran out of spirit, before repeating it all over again.
So while I think this boss was a bit of a dud, so far it's also the only one.

ShadowMar posted:

someone mentioned it earlier in this thread but you can fix the flickering by turning off ambient occlusion (and maybe also vsync in addition to that). i tested it myself and all of the flickering is gone now.

Good to see it works for others as well, because that flickering was really awful, especially if you are sensitive/epileptic.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tried the ambient occlusion, worked like a charm.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I gotta say, I do wish the game had more visual clarity. To a degree this is because the poor performance means I gotta play at a lower resolution than I usually do (1080p rather than 1444p), but in large part it's also due to the lightning and colour palette. Like, look at this:

I can barely even see my own character, much less the brown-on-brown enemies. Trying to read any attacks like this is an exercise in eyestrain. The same issue also extends to the bigger daemonic enemies, who often just kinda become a reddish-black visual sludge when they move, making it difficult to tell whether they're attacking or just flailing about.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Perestroika posted:

I gotta say, I do wish the game had more visual clarity. To a degree this is because the poor performance means I gotta play at a lower resolution than I usually do (1080p rather than 1444p), but in large part it's also due to the lightning and colour palette. Like, look at this:

I can barely even see my own character, much less the brown-on-brown enemies. Trying to read any attacks like this is an exercise in eyestrain. The same issue also extends to the bigger daemonic enemies, who often just kinda become a reddish-black visual sludge when they move, making it difficult to tell whether they're attacking or just flailing about.

Do you have HDR on? Motion blur off? It helps a bit keep the darkness from washing out the picture.

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO
Feb 5, 2001

Hel posted:

You can deflect everything, including fall damage.

And some deflects on spells will reflect back to the caster which can be very useful if it’s hard to get to them.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nioh has the same issue of the souls series where the black levels are kinda messed up. the "good" thing is that it's such a consistent mess that you can usually just use a reshade profile for one of the previous games to fix up the look

special k also has its own reshade loader

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
if i didn't have any serious performance issues with the steam demo am i likely to encounter problems in the full version?

it certainly didn't run as well as i'd hope it would given that the graphics are nothing special but it was fine, completely playable - no stuttering or major frame drops or anything, stayed close to the 60 fps max for that demo

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have not gotten this game yet, but read about the keyboard and mouse situation being an absolute nightmare. I am less concerned about the performance issues, I know the game is being absolutely raked over the coals on Steam, but I have a decent system and don't necessarily need the best settings and I sure do love Souls Likes.

But I also love keyboard and mouse I do not love controllers. Is the keyboard and mouse experience as bad as various websites are claiming? Are there tweaks to make it acceptable? I remember similar complaints when monster Hunter world first came out, which did not have fantastic keyboard and mouse controls but I found them serviceable.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

like sekiro, this game makes you feel like a total badass on subsequent runs.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

lih posted:

if i didn't have any serious performance issues with the steam demo am i likely to encounter problems in the full version?

it certainly didn't run as well as i'd hope it would given that the graphics are nothing special but it was fine, completely playable - no stuttering or major frame drops or anything, stayed close to the 60 fps max for that demo
draw distance is borked, and m/kb bricks performance somehow, but i think those are the only things to really watch out for

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

Do you have HDR on? Motion blur off? It helps a bit keep the darkness from washing out the picture.

Motion blur and depth of field are off, HDR is unfortunately not an option because my display's old as balls :negative:

Just gotta hope a decent reshade drops at some point I guess.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Hel posted:

Just had a fight against Lu Bu and I'm not really a fan of it He's to fast for you to be aggressive since you'll never reach him and he outruns the tracking on spells. Deflection puts him too far away for you to hit him with swords and he recovers too fast to get more than on hit in with a larger weapon and that's if he just doesn't keep running afterwards. Also he can just invalidate your short term progress by jumping back on the horse if you trigger the phases wrong. So while it's amusing that "Do not pursue Lu Bu" is the correct tactic, it was pretty boring that the only way for me to beat him was to stand in the middle holding block, waiting for him to get close enough to deflect and then poke him once with a spear until he ran out of spirit, before repeating it all over again.

That sounds like how it was fighting him in DW3, pretty much.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Hel posted:

So while I think this boss was a bit of a dud, so far it's also the only one.

Good to see it works for others as well, because that flickering was really awful, especially if you are sensitive/epileptic.

sounds like a nioh boss tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I don't kind of get the point of the places where you kick down a ladder to create a shortcut to an earlier place.

Unless I'm missing something, this isn't Dark Souls. So far I've never had a reason to go back to an earlier place through a shortcut. What are they for? Am I missing something?