Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My own question: I've noticed that my computer draws an extra 40W of power if I have my drawing tablet plugged into the GPU, even if the tablet is turned off. My guess is that this is because the computer is still taking the extra display space into account when rendering the desktop. Is there any way to "disable" a display in Win10 without physically unplugging it? I want to save on the power costs, but I also don't want to be frequently plugging/unplugging display devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Echoing the suggestion for Ensure. I recently went through a period of not being able to eat either, and without Ensure it would have been really tough. It goes down easy and has a bunch of calories, it’ll keep you alive until you can eat regular stuff again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ensure also has “Clear” versions which are fruity. I find those easier to get down the the milky ones at times.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

OkCupid is owned by the same people as tinder now. It’s gamified to extract money. Make sure you turn off any global match settings to avoid the international hits.

Ugh that sucks, I met so many very cool people on the Cupe back in the day, including my wife and several people I'm still friends with

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Is there a way to get, like a part-time carpenter’s apprentice position or something?

I’m fairly handy. And would like to spend some time working with my hands. But computer-touching makes too much money for me to want to commit to changing vocations. However I’d like to be able to learn, like most of what it takes to build a house.

Or is it a thing where they don’t gently caress around unless you’re committed, and I should just leave it to the professionals?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Rabbit Hill posted:

Question for anyone in the UK:

I've recently started reading the UK edition of The Guardian's website, and both in articles and in the comments section, I keep seeing Rishi Sunak's first name written as Rish! in contexts where it doesn't seem to be a typo. Is that an inside joke limited to The Guardian's readership (like Guardian->Grauniad)?

Here's an example of it appearing in the text of an article (opinion piece): https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/02/boris-breaks-silence-to-deliver-lacklustre-critique-of-rishis-deal

In the third paragraph --

And in the comments of that article --

No idea, but Grauniad was originally a comment on how poo poo their editing was and prone to typos they were from Private Eye, that the Guardian kinda took on, convivially.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
AFAICT only John Crace is doing it.

E‐mail him and ask.

My guess? Someone played a practical joke with his autocorrect dictionary.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/30/rishi-sunak-would-now-show-zero-tolerance-except-to-braverman-or-raab

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jan/09/pragmatist-rishi-sunak-accident-in-waiting

As for the reputation of The Guardian, one of the factors behind it is that in the rush to print papers, corrections are made throughout the print runs in the wee hours of the morning.

Papers have to be on the newstands at a certain time. Copies travelling furthest were printed earliest and have the fewest corrections.

Most papers, e.g. The Times, are printed near London. Readers in the capital get the most corrected editions.

The Guardian, based in Manchester, has the inverse geographic relationship. Copies distributed in London were rushed out the door, and sometimes it shows.

eta a delightful anectdote:

quote:

When a child I sent a letter to the Guardian questioning whether it was to confuse the Russians that I had read in that day's paper that, 'eight rockets clustered in a dingle vehicle would take man to the Moo'.

I got a reply saying that the Russians probably took a late edition.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 4, 2023

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Is there a way to get, like a part-time carpenter’s apprentice position or something?

I’m fairly handy. And would like to spend some time working with my hands. But computer-touching makes too much money for me to want to commit to changing vocations. However I’d like to be able to learn, like most of what it takes to build a house.

Or is it a thing where they don’t gently caress around unless you’re committed, and I should just leave it to the professionals?

If you're in the US, maybe look into volunteering for Habitat for Humanity?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My own question: I've noticed that my computer draws an extra 40W of power if I have my drawing tablet plugged into the GPU, even if the tablet is turned off. My guess is that this is because the computer is still taking the extra display space into account when rendering the desktop. Is there any way to "disable" a display in Win10 without physically unplugging it? I want to save on the power costs, but I also don't want to be frequently plugging/unplugging display devices.

Give it a try setting the other display to mirror the one that’s one. If that doesn’t lower your power usage, I think this is the standard way to disable a display: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/154973-how-remove-display-desktop-windows-10-a.html?s=ab07ac3d9c0524c8898f0af5559c081c

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

e: wrong thread

susan b buffering fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 5, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Give it a try setting the other display to mirror the one that’s one. If that doesn’t lower your power usage, I think this is the standard way to disable a display: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/154973-how-remove-display-desktop-windows-10-a.html?s=ab07ac3d9c0524c8898f0af5559c081c

Thanks! Mirroring the display didn't work, but choosing the "disconnect this display" option in the display settings did the trick.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I have a knot tying question.

If I have a very long length of rope and want to make a fixed loop in the middle of it AROUND something, what is a good way to do that?

I want it to be a fixed loop knot like a bowline, not a sliding knot like a buntline hitch or taut line hitch.

The loop needs to be made around an existing object, like a tree or a tarp hole, and not just create an empty loop like a figure 8 knot.

The best method I can think of is to just take a large bight, treat it like a single rope end, and tie a bowline or similar fixed loop end knot.

Is there a different or better knot for this purpose?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do you have access to the top of the object?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

alnilam posted:

Do you have access to the top of the object?

You mean to make a loop and then put it on? No

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: Missed the “like bowline, not buntline” criterion.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 5, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

esquilax posted:

I have a knot tying question.

If I have a very long length of rope and want to make a fixed loop in the middle of it AROUND something, what is a good way to do that?

I want it to be a fixed loop knot like a bowline, not a sliding knot like a buntline hitch or taut line hitch.

The loop needs to be made around an existing object, like a tree or a tarp hole, and not just create an empty loop like a figure 8 knot.

The best method I can think of is to just take a large bight, treat it like a single rope end, and tie a bowline or similar fixed loop end knot.

Is there a different or better knot for this purpose?

I give no guarantees on security, but the midspan sheet bend seems to do what you want.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I give no guarantees on security, but the midspan sheet bend seems to do what you want.

Also that page suggests a timber hitch on a bight as a possibly better option

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alnilam posted:

Also that page suggests a timber hitch on a bight as a possibly better option

That’s a slider.

quote:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 5, 2023

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How often can I safely consume farmed Turkish seabass? I always worry about mercury consumption and all that jazz, but supposedly, farmed seabass from Turkey ain't too bad in terms of hazardous chemicals in it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to convince any cell provider to build a tower closer to my neighborhood? According to cellmapper.net, all of the big three's closest towers just have a big hole in their coverage right over our neighborhood.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was thinking "how much difference could it make?" and it seems to make quite a lot - 40W for one day is 0.96kwh, so close enough to 30kwh/month. Electricity costs in CA are $0.30/kwh, AUD0.25/kwh in Australia, and are expected to be ~30p/kwh by the end of this year in the UK, so that's close enough to 9 currency units per month. Of course, this assumes the display is awake 24/7, which shouldn't be the case, but as this is a goon 12 hrs/day is not unreasonable so that's 15kwh/month/4 bux.

That would have added about 3% to my last bill. Only reason you wouldn't care would be if you heat your house the majority of the year using electricity (nat gas heating is ~1/3rd the cost, so you'd still want to do it if you heat with gas).

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Platystemon posted:

That does work and meets all the criteria, thanks.

It's a little awkward as this ties the knot on the other side - e.g. if I tied this on a hole, the knot would pass through the hole when tightened. But it works.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

AFAICT only John Crace is doing it.

E‐mail him and ask.

My guess? Someone played a practical joke with his autocorrect dictionary.

Nah, John Crace is the Guardian's "sketch" writer - someone who summarises the day's politics in a sarcastic or humorous way. He frequently nicknames politicians according to some dumb stunt they've done, and in Sunak's case I believe it was from his leadership campaign where it stylised his name as Rish! and so Crace has adopted calling him Rish with an exclamation mark to mock it. Similar to how in 2015/2016 Jeb Bush was constantly referred to as Jeb! because of his lovely campaign logo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what exactly does "geezer" mean in uk slang? in the us its a word exclusively for very old people but in the uk it seems to be more like, a regular guy?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Earwicker posted:

what exactly does "geezer" mean in uk slang? in the us its a word exclusively for very old people but in the uk it seems to be more like, a regular guy?

Pretty much, although it could mean someone a bit shady too.

e: Wait would you call, say, your Grandfather a geezer? Because that is incredible if so.

e2:

quote:

Geezer is a word usually used by people with a cockney accent, an accent which originates in East London but is probably more commonly heard in Essex now as it has spread outside of London and become more common in other places. It means a man but can also refer to a certain type of man who is a bit dodgy or even mean a man you admire and respect, it's all about context. Nice one, geezer!
Alright, geezer? (How are you, friend?)

That geezer over there (that man over there)

He's a bit of a geezer (He's a bit of a shady character)

Nice one, geezer! (I appreciate that, my friend)

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 5, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

tight aspirations posted:

e: Wait would you call, say, your Grandfather a geezer? Because that is incredible if so.

if he was still alive sure. in the us the term doesn't really imply any shadiness, it just means a very old guy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah in the US it's a derogatory word for old person and that's all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

very mildy derogatory at that really

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there non-alcoholic mouthwash that has the same 'sting' as the alcoholic stuff?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah pretty mild and often used in a comedic self-deprecating kind of way among some old folks I know

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I want a new mattress but I have never bought a mattress before. How do I pick a good one and not get ripped off?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mattress shopping is impossible. It's constantly shifting new models bearing little resemblance to their supposed predecessors, it's a racket, is also incredibly subjective so very hard to give or seek advice on.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There is a mattress thread right here in A/T

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thanks. I'll ask there.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tiggum posted:

I want a new mattress but I have never bought a mattress before. How do I pick a good one and not get ripped off?

get softer than you think you need.

I just bought a mattress a month ago and I screwed up.
Don't let a salesman push you, even though it's awkard af where you might be the only one in the store getting full attention. Don't be afraid to say "No thank you" Practice it first if you need to.

Go shop at Ikea.
Get slightly softer than you think you want. When you're testing in a store, you're going to be wearing street clothes and probably a bit tense and awkward testing in a public store. That tenseness you feel at the store is not your tenseness when you're sleeping. Get softer.

If you do try to buy somewhere not Ikea. Negotiate on the price. Ask what the employee discount is, and then request you be given that to meet your price range. Any offer of refunds or trade-ins are worthless because they're not telling you the fees or terms associated with it until you're given your bill of sale afterwards. Also its a massive pain in the rear end to haul around a huge mattress. Especially if you're doing it alone.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 6, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I did my research and decided that a DreamCloud premier would be better for a heavy guy who is a side sleeper. You'll spend less on the Ikea options, but reviews said I'd hate it. It wasn't cheap, but it's extremely comfortable and the sheets and pillows it came with are very nice. They run a ton of sales, don't pay more than 25% off their MSP, and watch an unboxing video so you're prepared to break it out of its packaging after delivery.

https://www.dreamcloudsleep.com/premier-mattress

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Settle a debate between me and a friend. Can you gain more weight than the weight of the things you eat? That is, let's assume you've eaten enough food for the day to balance out the calories you've burned, and then you eat a pound of lard. Will you gain more than a pound of weight?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

regulargonzalez posted:

Settle a debate between me and a friend. Can you gain more weight than the weight of the things you eat? That is, let's assume you've eaten enough food for the day to balance out the calories you've burned, and then you eat a pound of lard. Will you gain more than a pound of weight?

Yes.

The difference isn’t all that great because human fat is pretty energy dense, but it doesn’t violate thermodynamics or anything. A pound of lard has enough energy content for you to put on a pound of fat and a little more.

Your body will have a little less of the raw fats (triglycerides) than the lard you ate, but in building that body fat, you’ll retain enough water in your cells to more than make up the difference.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

regulargonzalez posted:

Platystemon posted:

Yes.

The difference isn’t all that great because human fat is pretty energy dense, but it doesn’t violate thermodynamics or anything. A pound of lard has enough energy content for you to put on a pound of fat and a little more.

Your body will have a little less of the fats (triglycerides) than the lard you ate, but you’ll retain enough water in your cells to more than make up the difference.

Well yes, but it probably only really works with foods that are highly fatty
If it's a pound of fat that's ~4077kcal (453g of fat x 9kcal/g) extra on top of your normal maintenance calories
If it was a pound of Honey, it would be ~1500kcal just because carbs are less energy dense.
If you eat a pound of Salad it would be ~80kcal.

So if you eat that pound of lard on one day and keep it exact to maintenance the rest of the week (7 days) you probably will have an extra 580kcal per day as an average. Which would translate to gaining a bit over a pound of weight in a week.

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Very interesting. My takeaway is that if I just cut my daily caloric intake by about 550 calories, I can splurge on a pound of lard every Saturday night. Thanks!