Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ponzicar posted:

That reminds me of playing through Quake singleplayer with the original Team Fortress mod. Depending on the class, you were either hopeless, or completely overpowered.

One of my earliest memories of playing through Half-Life 1 was with a mod that gave you the Counter-Strike guns. The health stations served as places where you could buy stuff IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

OMGVBFLOL posted:

well i'm glad he did. gently caress valve for leaving us hanging

I hate episodic poo poo so much, it was pretty much guaranteed to make sure you get only part of a full game because the devs don't make enough money to justify finishing it or get bored and gently caress off to do something else

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

A month or two ago I posted in this thread that although I played WAY more UT99 at the time and that’s where all my nostalgia was, I found Quake 3 a better and smoother experience to actually fire up and play today.

Not sure when it happened but OldUnreal seems to have added proper in game server support to UT99 again. Found a great server last night and played for several hours, and honestly had the greatest time, including a CTF comeback from 1-6 to 7-6.

Well done to OldUnreal (or whoever added in game server access back in) as it’s made a huge difference finding good servers and matches again.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

UnknownMercenary posted:

One of my earliest memories of playing through Half-Life 1 was with a mod that gave you the Counter-Strike guns. The health stations served as places where you could buy stuff IIRC.

Counter-Life was great although as I recall some of the guns were overpowered, still fun though https://www.moddb.com/mods/counter-life

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Artifact did give us one of the best moments of disappointment captured on video, so Valve at least accomplished something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Donut posted:

Counter-Life was great although as I recall some of the guns were overpowered, still fun though https://www.moddb.com/mods/counter-life

Most guns were overpowered and had bullet penetration from CS so you could kill marines and aliens behind walls. The mod ruled since you could kill Nihilant from the ground as bullets would go through the head easily.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Witchaven 2, Level 12, is a good level. I think. 1 of 15 aint bad or no, maybe it is. Its very bad.

So close to the end now, cant stop

Itchy

Tasty

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Executive Producer for Witchaven 2, Amy Smith-Boylan, moved onto a role as executive producer at Acclaim and got Turok Dinosaur Hunter and NBA Jam made. This sounds like a great turn around story, but she is currently at Ghostpunch games consulting(?) for some sort of licensed NFT gaming project.

Why did I look into this? Because the ending cutscene of Witchaven 2 is so wrongheaded on so many fronts and its mere existence irks me that I had time to ponder, well, what kind of Executive Producer who hires their own relative to be the sole QA tester and produce this sort of garbage get up to?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 4, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's funny that Half Life, Doom, and Stephen King's the mist are all basically the same story in different settings.

They're all James Cameron's Frankenstein$

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Turin Turambar posted:

Man I was so glad Artifact failed. People love to point at how greedy the 'evil' executives at Activision, or EA or Ubisoft are, but it isn't like people at Valve are much better. I don't believe for a second that they decided to do a card game because some Valve's designer was passionate about them. It was purely a money move: they just wanted something to promote the use of their steam digital marketplace, where they obtain a cut in every player transaction. The idea then? To make a digital card game, and more specifically one like Magic, where you can buy and sell cards, like in real life.
Imagine for a moment if Wizards of the Coast gained money not only selling microtransactions with booster packs (which is what they do), but obtained a bit of money every time some player in the world sell or buy a card, in any shop or any informal transaction. It would be their wet dream. That was Valve's dream too.

valve made artifact because dota is the only game they acknowledge while us csgo peasants have to beg for a fraction of support that valorant gets

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nvidia just leaked the existence of a CSGO2/CS2 through their driver profiles, though valve being valve a project existing is a poor indicator that it will ever ship

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BoosterDuck posted:

valve made artifact because dota is the only game they acknowledge while us csgo peasants have to beg for a fraction of support that valorant gets

You think you have it bad, poor TF2 players are basically morlocks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BattleMaster posted:

I hate episodic poo poo so much, it was pretty much guaranteed to make sure you get only part of a full game because the devs don't make enough money to justify finishing it or get bored and gently caress off to do something else

rip sin episode 2

koren
Sep 7, 2003

The Kins posted:

In other news, Alkaline v1.2 is out now, bringing a pile of new maps, a reworked weapon and a host of visual improvements to its special brand of sci-fi Quake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pevTGzPbNQs
If people haven't already checked this out, they need to get on it ASAP. It is one of the greatest achievements of the quake community.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

nvidia just leaked the existence of a CSGO2/CS2 through their driver profiles, though valve being valve a project existing is a poor indicator that it will ever ship
A Source 2 port of CS:GO has been a non-secret for quite a while now. I suppose giving it a new name is a good way of sidestepping the issue of the new engine breaking all pre-existing custom maps and probably upping the system specs...

Milo and POTUS posted:

You think you have it bad, poor TF2 players are basically morlocks
As a long-time TF2 fan (albeit one that doesn't play much anymore), I don't really get this. Sure, free major updates are basically over, but there was like ten goddamn years of them. I'm fine with that much, especially in an era where other F2P games have an unfortunate proclivity for shutting down six months after launch.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

site posted:

rip sin episode 2

what's the world come to?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Kins posted:

A Source 2 port of CS:GO has been a non-secret for quite a while now. I suppose giving it a new name is a good way of sidestepping the issue of the new engine breaking all pre-existing custom maps and probably upping the system specs...

i think the earlier rumoured port was generally assumed to be cancelled after that HD dust2 remake leaked which appeared to be targeting source2, but then they released a different, substantially less ambitious dust2 remake for their existing source1 base

in any case it looks like something is happening again, whether it's a revival of that old project or them starting over from scratch

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Kins posted:

As a long-time TF2 fan (albeit one that doesn't play much anymore), I don't really get this. Sure, free major updates are basically over, but there was like ten goddamn years of them. I'm fine with that much, especially in an era where other F2P games have an unfortunate proclivity for shutting down six months after launch.

:wrong:

Anyway, fallen aces is gonna own. I suspect the tommy gun in the wall crack is gonna be a shotgun or something. Seems like they put it there because you cant' have a hard boiled noir demo without a tommygun it's way too powerful a weapon to give that early I feel. I hope you can get BARs

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

didn't they just announce a new big update for tf2 coming soon anyway?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A big (community) update.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I miss when demoman didn't have a sword

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Turin Turambar posted:

Man I was so glad Artifact failed. People love to point at how greedy the 'evil' executives at Activision, or EA or Ubisoft are, but it isn't like people at Valve are much better. I don't believe for a second that they decided to do a card game because some Valve's designer was passionate about them. It was purely a money move: they just wanted something to promote the use of their steam digital marketplace, where they obtain a cut in every player transaction. The idea then? To make a digital card game, and more specifically one like Magic, where you can buy and sell cards, like in real life.
Imagine for a moment if Wizards of the Coast gained money not only selling microtransactions with booster packs (which is what they do), but obtained a bit of money every time some player in the world sell or buy a card, in any shop or any informal transaction. It would be their wet dream. That was Valve's dream too.

And the game was engineered to only have common and rare cards, which sounds like a good thing or at least a legitimate shakeup of the usual TCG style until you realize it lines up perfectly with the trickle of pennies Valve gets on every useless 3c transaction or the tangible $5-10-50-200 big ticket buys for rarer items.

It's impossible to convince me their design motives were ever legit. They control the supply AND get a cut of every sale, that's such an obvious conflict of interest.

Let's not forget Valve were also on the cutting edge of awful microtransactions with TF2 - MannCo.'s ridiculous prices and of course the omnipresent crates, among other things.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Thinking about the decline of TF2 is terribly depressing. It was a fabulous game... in 2008. I booted it up last year and it made me feel like a dementia patient.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Let's not forget Valve were also on the cutting edge of awful microtransactions with TF2 - MannCo.'s ridiculous prices and of course the omnipresent crates, among other things.

not just on the cutting edge of adopting lootboxes, but also on the trailing edge of keeping them around

most of their contemporaries in the PC space have moved on from lootboxes for one reason or another, but Dota 2, TF2 and CSGO are still basically slot machines

(not to mention the side industry of actual unregulated slot machines which use valves item economy as a child-accessible on-ramp)

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 4, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

John Murdoch posted:

They control the supply AND get a cut of every sale, that's such an obvious conflict of interest.

It's not a conflict of interest because there aren't two interests in conflict. The only interest is making valve the most money, in order to do that by developing a game they need to make people want to play it and monetize the people playing it. That's a balancing act and one they obviously hosed up since no one wanted to play it but it's just being bad at making a game, not a conflict of interest.

A conflict of interest would be if someone who wasn't sole owner had the power to do something to damage the company but personally enrich themselves, like selling an aimbot that VAC would never be able to catch.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
think its time for my tri-monthly "Attempt to beat even one episode of the original DOOM with Project Brutality on the hardest difficulty" again

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

koren posted:

Thinking about the decline of TF2 is terribly depressing. It was a fabulous game... in 2008. I booted it up last year and it made me feel like a dementia patient.

I am aware of TF2, and once downloaded and played it for an hour on a crowded pubbie server. Other than mtx and pay(?)-to-unlock-new-guns, what really changed/degenerated over the years? Just the community?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

machinegames' quake maps are so good they should do quake 5 as a proper successor to quake 1

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Weedle posted:

machinegames' quake maps are so good they should do quake 5 as a proper successor to quake 1

I always hoped that was the plan from the start, when some rumors of maybe a Quake 1 sequel arose.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HolyKrap posted:

I miss when demoman didn't have a sword

Nah Demo-Knight is great

koren posted:

It's still great, at least if you stick to Community Servers, though if you want something closer to the launch experience there is Team Fortress 2 Classic

Serephina posted:

I am aware of TF2, and once downloaded and played it for an hour on a crowded pubbie server. Other than mtx and pay(?)-to-unlock-new-guns, what really changed/degenerated over the years? Just the community?

Pretty much only that for the last couple of years the Valve hosted quick play servers have been infested with aim bot Snipers(and various other bot and cheating related annoyances), but if you stick with community hosted servers you can avoid that issue entirely

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The meta has also had all kinds of wild swings over the years.

Edit: A good way of putting it is that even if you personally divested yourself from any mtx/loot box crap, those elements would either leak into the gameplay itself or Valve would just put out a wildly broken new weapon that would upend the game for a week+.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 5, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema posted:

think its time for my tri-monthly "Attempt to beat even one episode of the original DOOM with Project Brutality on the hardest difficulty" again

it is not going well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

The meta has also had all kinds of wild swings over the years.

Edit: A good way of putting it is that even if you personally divested yourself from any mtx/loot box crap, those elements would either leak into the gameplay itself or Valve would just put out a wildly broken new weapon that would upend the game for a week+.

Well at least in the present day all it takes is like 5 bucks on a trading site to get every unique weapon in the game and probably a couple hats as well, it's actually pretty cheap to get cosmetics if you just want the basic kind, it's only when you want Unusuals that it generally gets expensive

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

site posted:

rip sin episode 2

It was weirdly a really horny game

Deakul posted:

what's the world come to?

Great theme song though

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Good soup! posted:

Artifact did give us one of the best moments of disappointment captured on video, so Valve at least accomplished something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

I remember that the only people who were excited for Artifact were the same kinds of people who got excited for NFTs, because they didn't care about the game and only cared about being able to resell collectibles.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Why are the catastrophic companions so expensive anyway.

I haven't used any of my drops in tf2 because I don't wanna pay for keys so it just sits there lol. Also I don't really know how

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Babe, new Doom 4 trailer just dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoOf-dsm5qM

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning you'll want to spend a little money in the store even if you're otherwise uninterested in doing so for the simple reason that Valve in a poorly thought out attempt at fighting the bots decided to change it so that "free to play" accounts are locked out of all methods of in-game communication, even the basic voice commands are locked

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does that mean if I never buy anything I don't ever have to listen to people yelling dumb poo poo over voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

site posted:

Does that mean if I never buy anything I don't ever have to listen to people yelling dumb poo poo over voice

Pretty sure you can still see and hear their voice and text chat, just can't say anything yourself