Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Lid posted:

Sid naming the powerbomb is something I would've never guessed and yet seems perfect. Also now we need to ask Sid.

ive honestly become obsessed with the name origin. I think liger is the 1st person to regularly use it and where the bomb comes from. I also could be way off base its hard to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has there ever been a Super Heavyweight sized wrestler that made a return at a much much smaller size?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has there ever been a Super Heavyweight sized wrestler that made a return at a much much smaller size?

Depends how broadly we're defining this. Walter self reports as having lost about 65 pounds between his heaviest days on the indies and his current weight.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Similarly Big Show had that time where he was positively huge, quit WWE for awhile to get boxing training, came back and looked like he'd dropped about a hundred pounds

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Depends how broadly we're defining this. Walter self reports as having lost about 65 pounds between his heaviest days on the indies and his current weight.

My original idea was like, almost Mabel size down to some almost regular dude but broadening the range is fine too. Big Show has had some pretty big differences.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

George Gray, who wrestled as One Man Gang and Akeem was billed at 450 pounds. For the Wrestlemania X-Seven Gimmick Battle Royal WWF wanted to bring him back as Akeem, but he had lost so much weight that the Akeem costume didn't fit any more, so he had to come out as One Man Gang instead.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

To answer my own question; Big Boss Man wasn't really a Super Heavyweight but

Andre the Giant always felt impossible huge then you see stuff like this:

Andre the Giant billed height: 7' 4"
Slick: 6' 4"
Big Boss Man: 6' 7"
Akeem: 6' 9"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I dont think i ever realized how tall Slick is/was

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suplex Liberace posted:

ive honestly become obsessed with the name origin. I think liger is the 1st person to regularly use it and where the bomb comes from. I also could be way off base its hard to tell.

The powerbomb - and there's footage, I believe - originates from Lou Thesz. Did he do it on purpose? Is it a messed up piledrive? Unclear.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm always delighted by the first Survivor Series main event which features so many big dudes that King Kong Bundy isn't even the second biggest guy. The 'smallest' is Rick Rude.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

The powerbomb - and there's footage, I believe - originates from Lou Thesz. Did he do it on purpose? Is it a messed up piledrive? Unclear.

I'm always delighted by the first Survivor Series main event which features so many big dudes that King Kong Bundy isn't even the second biggest guy. The 'smallest' is Rick Rude.

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/952591383021391874?s=20

Also, Jesus Christ, Andre:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/952590480654692353?s=20

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pedigree looks amazing when you just shoot kill the guy

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Does anyone have that gif of Stu Harts Canadian Destroyer?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

oh i know that but its the name origin Lid was asking for. Liger (that i can figure out) was the 1st person to add it to his move set and name it. Also think i read that the other guy claims he invented it because he did the sit up part with no promoting from Thesz.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Does anyone have that gif of Stu Harts Canadian Destroyer?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

lmfao

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Akira tozawa

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Golga happened because Earthquake was down to, like, Evil Uno size rather than 1980s Hulk Hogan Destroying size

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

To answer my own question; Big Boss Man wasn't really a Super Heavyweight but

Andre the Giant always felt impossible huge then you see stuff like this:

WWF/E somehow does a really good job of telling you how big all the dudes are but somehow never really visually getting it across because they only have big dudes. I'm still surprised sometimes at how big Billy Gunn is because in WWE, he was still generally one of the smaller guys on your screen.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hogan's a good example because he is enormous but they put him against nothing but giants. Hogan would be the biggest guy in AEW excluding the horses of Tall Man, Lance and Bigass Bill.

Suplex Liberace posted:

oh i know that but its the name origin Lid was asking for. Liger (that i can figure out) was the 1st person to add it to his move set and name it. Also think i read that the other guy claims he invented it because he did the sit up part with no promoting from Thesz.

Perhaps powerbomb comes from a Japanese term like how they name things with lots of powerful words that don't mean anything?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Tell me about Raven in ECW before he left in 97. The first time I saw Raven was as a kid vs Benoit in 98 WCW and he was instantly my favourite. Going back I've hardly seen any pre 97 Raven in ECW except for the Sandman/Funk match.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CellBlock posted:

WWF/E somehow does a really good job of telling you how big all the dudes are but somehow never really visually getting it across because they only have big dudes. I'm still surprised sometimes at how big Billy Gunn is because in WWE, he was still generally one of the smaller guys on your screen.

Yeah, I was surprised at how tall Ted DiBiase and Jake Roberts were in person.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Was the 1-2-3 Kid the first non-roided or just generally not huge guy with moderate success in the WWF? Did he even win any titles in that gimmick?

Speaking of gimmicks do modern wrestlers still use the carny talk or is kayfabe so far gone that only the old timers use it?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was the 1-2-3 Kid the first non-roided or just generally not huge guy with moderate success in the WWF? Did he even win any titles in that gimmick?

it depends on your definition of "roided" but Dynamite kid is probably the best example of an undersized by wwf standards succeeding in spite of it.

(shame about his overall lack of humanity though)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kid won the tag titles with Marty Jannetty but that was about as far as he got with that gimmick

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was really excited to see Kid in WWF. I watched Global and was blown away by Kid and a very young Jerry Lynn.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

someone on twitter a few years ago posted clips of a 1-2-3 Kid vs Pat Tanaka match that was either on Raw or Superstars and it looked amazing considering the era and program they were wrestling on

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn’t Kid also win them with Bob Holly?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah Kid won the tag titles with Bob Holly also but it wA only for a day.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
On surprisingly tall people, Waltman is 6'1" and was always billed 200+.

Which is loving huge when compared to normal folks.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lol

kertap
Mar 13, 2010
Im sorry, this feels like a really stupid question but what do the wrestler and the ref argue about when they distract the ref so their friend on the outside can get some hits in?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s a weird question but I guess a valid one.

As a serious attempt at an answer, sometimes there’s something obvious in how they even got to that point like they could fake an injury like an eye poke or something and argue the other guy must have something on him.

Or they could pretend they’re taking exception to a call the ref just made, like the 5 count to get them to back off from an opponent on the ropes (where their buddy is waiting to strike) was a fast count and they need to watch it or they’re next, etc.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 4, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Sometimes the heel throws the face outside and the ref tries to stop him from following.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

kertap posted:

Im sorry, this feels like a really stupid question but what do the wrestler and the ref argue about when they distract the ref so their friend on the outside can get some hits in?

whether Pitt the Elder was a better prime minister than Lord Palmerston

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wasn't watching WCW much at the time and I'm confused...Buff Bagwell was doing the Chucky laugh like a year before Chucky showed up?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lamuella posted:

whether Pitt the Elder was a better prime minister than Lord Palmerston

Pitt the Elder. :colbert:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dawgstar posted:

Alright you asked for it Dawgs!:redass:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

LORD PALMERSTON!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

MassRafTer posted:

You should absolutely go to CMLL on Friday. Might even get lucky and be there on Dos Leyendas week.

This was from awhile back, but thanks for the recommendation. I had an absolute blast. So much fun being in a hot crowd.

One of my favorite spots from last night:

https://twitter.com/aregularindyfan/status/1631864100870340614?s=46&t=0kl4CfDsmbzrnKxi0_5FYw