Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this may just be non-Zhongli-haver cope but i have never felt like i needed a shield character in abyss

i do frequently wish i had any of the good gather / CC characters, especially for those loving "defend the rhombus" floors, but gathering is basically just a damage buff in disguise

i have a fully built zhongli and keep getting my loving shield one-tapped in the first side of 12-2 this abyss, so you’re not missing much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

likely they wanted to improve melt ganyu's ease of play without actually making it do more damage, since ganyu is very popular but her best teams either die to freeze immune enemies or are kind of difficult to play, even if her damage is competitive. you can run a shielder on ganyu teams but it sorta sacrifices damage and can be pretty jank. dehya enables melt, easily has enough uptime to keep it going if you combine it with a dendro unit, and resists interrupts without completely invalidating the possibility of running a shielder instead so as to not powercreep zhongli on those teams or whatever. she's extremely carefully designed and it all makes sense in that specific role.

but they had this design and then, iunno, didn't have a 4* to put it onto, so they slapped it on dehya and then gave her an offensive burst instead of a supportive one so you can force monopyro dehya if you want to???

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
All these characters, except Cyno, interacting is like pulling teeth.

“Could i hazard a guess that the umami in this dish comes from somewhere other than just the fish?”

One of hundreds of lines I must auto play to get my precious gems.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Once again, the windblume particle effects are making my eyes itchy as a psychosomatic response.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
clicking through any non-archon quest dialogue while working/playing a different game/doing literally anything else until i see a character i actually like out of the corner of my eye has never once failed me, and it’s working great again

Kale
May 14, 2010

Has Paimon ever had this expression with the eyes before in game?

Also everyone knows if you're having a festival arc you have to spend at least 5 minutes discussing food and/or clothing at a time.

e:

We're back to story quest mode Eula I see.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 4, 2023

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
This morning I realized I had to stop stalling on content and actually go to Inazuma and complete all the archon quests just to do the Windblume events, which fine whatever I'll rush through the main storyline and do all the side stuff later

But in the cutscene where I was chasing down a treasure hunter with Kazuha before boarding the ship, my traveler died to one of those water fireflies in the middle of a cutscene really slowly and I didn't even know that was possible so lol at the camera constantly panning to an empty screen or Paimon floating around by herself

Thoma is really cool though, I like him

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

MNSNTZR posted:

clicking through any non-archon quest dialogue while working/playing a different game/doing literally anything else until i see a character i actually like out of the corner of my eye has never once failed me, and it’s working great again

Except the multi part world quests as those are some of the best quests in the game.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I had to do step one of the TCG quest to unblock Windblume :negative:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's nice they're generous with the grade on the rhythm game because I know I didn't get over 80% but I still passed at like 85%.

The Mailed Flower claymore from the event has a 1.5X enhancement bonus during the event if anyone was going to use it, although some of its ascension materials are from consecrated beasts in the desert and I don't have a ton of those yet since I'm a bit behind on those quest chains. They're available from the stardust exchange, too, though.

I noticed that the ! for the guide was on, so I clicked it and in the guide there's rewards including Intertwined Fates, Hero's Wits, Sanctifying Essence, and Mystical Enhancement Ore available on the top of the guide tab for completing each Act of the archon quests, retroactive. So there were a pile of them stacked up and I guess I have 19 or 20 Intertwined fates just for turning those in. It's possible this was in before but I just noticed it today and it's nice to get a big pile of stuff.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Those guide rewards are new in this patch, yes.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well... poo poo. I'm hearing impaired and comically uncoordinated and I just unable to do even the basic level of the rhythm minigame this time. :negative: I managed to squeak through the basic (and sometimes even intermediate) levels before but I cannot keep up with the apparently more complicated inputs in this one. Is there enough tickets from the photography event to get the refinement mats for the sword and the crown or am I just SOL?

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Asimo posted:

Well... poo poo. I'm hearing impaired and comically uncoordinated and I just unable to do even the basic level of the rhythm minigame this time. :negative:

it’s not a you thing, at least i don’t think so. i’ve played with wackier interfaces in rhythm games (persona dancing games come to mind) and there’s something about the “we assume you already know the song, so good luck playing the melody in a rhythm minigame” crawls under my skin sometimes too. it’s rote memorization poo poo, and what genshin fails at is the minigame being interesting/engaging enough to memorize from playing multiple times. melody-based stuff like osu, project diva, djmax and the like understand that bit

this is also why i’ll stand by thumper being the only perfect rhythm game and one of the few to exist as an actual rhythm game

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is Sucrose the only character that has glasses

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
It strikes me as a similar interface/style to FF Theatrhythm and all that. Definitely not for everyone. However there seemed to be some accessibility controls in the menu, maybe that's worth a look?

On the other hand I was not expecting a Pacman minigame at all.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Meowywitch posted:

The pharmacist will be our second PC with them, but otherwise we've only seen generics with glasses and monocles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

baizhu is coming up

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dori has reading glasses

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh and of the major major NPCs pantalone has them too

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If you have trouble with the rhythm game and your phone can actually run Genshin, I highly recommend just doing it on your phone. The interface is infinitely better and even my dumb rear end which is TERRIBLE at rhythm games managed to get the score needed to get all rewards.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

free Trapt CD posted:

On the other hand I was not expecting a Pacman minigame at all.

dark deception got randomly popular to stream last year, so i’m not surprised

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

wait is Collei gay???

I guess i should have read that manga she was in or something

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Meowywitch posted:

wait is Collei gay???

I guess i should have read that manga she was in or something

It's a Mihoyo game, assume everyone is gay unless proven otherwise. Also if they're straight expect them to die.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

busting a gut at collei flower, these dopes have no taste in jokes

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

This Windblume intro quest is interminable

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

god the rhythm game is insane now, I can't do this poo poo lol

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this may just be non-Zhongli-haver cope but i have never felt like i needed a shield character in abyss

i do frequently wish i had any of the good gather / CC characters, especially for those loving "defend the rhombus" floors, but gathering is basically just a damage buff in disguise

I do take Venti for those floors, but run with team geo on the other side. Ittos bull, ZL petrification etc seems to pull plenty of aggro

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Meowywitch posted:

god the rhythm game is insane now, I can't do this poo poo lol

I found it way easier on the phone than on the PC.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kale posted:

I don't think Paimon has had special eyes before, no.

:tinfoil:

Also I must have different taste from everyone else because I'm really liking the Windblume story quest so far. Sucrose is adorable and the best, Cyno and Tighnari are fun dorks, Collei in Mondstat is payoff for some webcomic/manga stuff from years ago, Albedo's presence basically always comes with something cool down the line, and it's good to see they remember Eula exists. Maybe I'm just easy to please or something.

Also the rhythm game has been loving impossible for me on PC so far, incredibly forgiving score goals aside. I think a big part of it is just that my fingers are not used to having six notes on something like that at all. I'll probably have to clear out room on my phone for this if they get any harder.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The starry eyed thing started a parch or two ago. I can’t remember who had it. It may have been paimon.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I might actually bother filling out the feedback questionnaire this patch just so I can give the rhythm minigame zero stars. Absolute dogshit on a controller.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kale posted:

To my memory its a first though I make no assurances my memory is correct. It definitely stood out.

I'm pretty obtuse and even I got Paimon's extremely subtle hint and then ordered her the sweet madame.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I will say, in mild criticism of the Windblume quest, that "umami" has joined "rap" and "horse" on the "list of words casually used in Genshin Impact that immediately threw me for a loop, it feels weird to me that those are words that they have that need no explanation in-universe."

Also, a fun note from the Sumeru daily commissions:

The Genius Invokation TCG Light Novels are soon moving on to Card Games On Horses.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Man, you weren't kidding. This rhythm game is the worst poo poo in the world.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Captain France posted:

I will say, in mild criticism of the Windblume quest, that "umami" has joined "rap" and "horse" on the "list of words casually used in Genshin Impact that immediately threw me for a loop, it feels weird to me that those are words that they have that need no explanation in-universe."

Umami at least is a pretty direct translation of a flavor word that has pretty much always existed in Chinese even before the umami flavor was formalized :shrug:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Traveller posted:

I had to do step one of the TCG quest to unblock Windblume :negative:

It is very important that you know all the important cardgame lore (or was it just that sucrose was too busy dicking around with cards to do her actual drat job?)

Captain France posted:

Seems fine? If the world was all mondstadt I'd agree, but y'know, it's not. Still hilarious that their excuse for there being literally no horses anywhere is 'yeah mondstadt police took them to canada'

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

After doing the Windblume into, I'm wondering: are Cyno's jokes just as utterly non-functional in other languages? Like, there's a couple of them that just straight up do not work on any conceivable level.
It's honestly done more to sell me on him as a character than the archon and story quest ever did.

I'd love a collection of them in various languages. With what little I understand, I can pretty confidently say they are just as poo poo in japanese as in english. So there's that, at least.

I really doubt they payoff for the eventual songs that actually use all 6 lanes will be worth having to paw through songs that just use 4 of them, so I really wish they hadn't insisted on the extra lanes. On a whim, I just moved all the column 2|5 notes to 1|6, and it felt marginally better, but still rather poo poo. Can't wait to see how terrible this is on a controller.

That being said, if you're on PC, you can at least sort out the incredibly bad sync issues by going to the options and turning on low-latency mode. Having done that, a) the sync didn't need to be set to 150 rather than 100(default), but I could actually just sightread and at least not miss the timing (admittedly, I also cranked the speed up, but that's just me.) This doesn't really sort out how bad a) the default controls are, or b) the bit where you should probably separate the two sides or something if you're going to have someone use a keyboard; but it does help at least a bit.

Does make me wish I had enough room on my phone to just blitz through all these in a week, though.

e. Jesus, it's real dire on PS. Same deal with setting low latency mode, so you can just sightread. 1.5 was way too fast on a tv though lol
The controls are just criminal. ←↓→ □×〇 is a real dire setup, and it refuses to let you use ↑ or △ (for no drat reason, either. It's not like they do anything within the rhythm game). I did have some success setting the outside lanes to l1/r1, and then moving what's ↓ × to ← and 〇, but that's only workable so long as they only use 4 of the 6 lanes.

Man, there's a reason why mobile rhythm games look like this, and only really work nicely on phones. I'm not really sure how difficult it is to manage whatever you need for the rewards, but I'm pretty sure it would take me the entire two weeks to actually internalize these controls into a way that would let me manage a full combo. Good thing that's not necessary.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 4, 2023

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Got humbled by the rhythm game real quick. There’s an option in the settings to change speed, and you can drop it to 0.75.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Captain France posted:

I don't think Paimon has had special eyes before, no.

:tinfoil:

Also I must have different taste from everyone else because I'm really liking the Windblume story quest so far. Sucrose is adorable and the best, Cyno and Tighnari are fun dorks, Collei in Mondstat is payoff for some webcomic/manga stuff from years ago, Albedo's presence basically always comes with something cool down the line, and it's good to see they remember Eula exists. Maybe I'm just easy to please or something.

Also the rhythm game has been loving impossible for me on PC so far, incredibly forgiving score goals aside. I think a big part of it is just that my fingers are not used to having six notes on something like that at all. I'll probably have to clear out room on my phone for this if they get any harder.

Its a common thing for this thread to gripe about cutscenes that go on longer than 5 minutes or so. The thing that I noticed though is that its all the most socially awkward characters in the game more or less getting together to tell bad jokes. Yeah though this is kind of the long awaited reunion between Collei and Amber story it looks like, just purely setup to start.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Asimo posted:

Well... poo poo. I'm hearing impaired and comically uncoordinated and I just unable to do even the basic level of the rhythm minigame this time. :negative: I managed to squeak through the basic (and sometimes even intermediate) levels before but I cannot keep up with the apparently more complicated inputs in this one. Is there enough tickets from the photography event to get the refinement mats for the sword and the crown or am I just SOL?

you can adjust some settings in that specific game, like switching on guide lines and making the bars straight, which helped me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kale posted:

I definitely remembered seeing it in Lantern Rite, when Zhongli said he was going to treat us to something delicious if we'd run out and grab the ingredients. (This errand bumps us into Yaoyao and the Fontain guy while we're digging bamboo shoots, so.)