Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Has Bush doubled the population of this town just by showing up and living here? Feels like he has by now. And how many of them joined the Turnip Mafia?

That funny Brodik fellow's appearence reminds me of someone, not sure who.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
This sure seems like the worst possible way to try to get Bush to do what I think Brodik wants him to do :allears:

Can you gain FP with him, or does talking do nothing and he compensates you whenever you give him something?

Edit: Also from his initial reaction....did he move here, house and everything, not knowing we were actually here?

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 26, 2022

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Odd Wilson posted:

I also decide it's about time I try out our new lumber axe, as I'm looking to finally get that upgraded house sometime soon.

So I find a stump and-

:eyepop:

...oh yes :aaa:

hell yes

I was not expecting it to change the axe swing into him chucking the axe a dozen feet into the air, jumping up to catch it, doing *two* unnecessary frontflips, and then striking the stump with a massive column of lightning.

Truly our magic skill has crossed into our axe skill. :getin:

Bush, this isn't Fire Emblem.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Has Bush doubled the population of this town just by showing up and living here? Feels like he has by now. And how many of them joined the Turnip Mafia?

That funny Brodik fellow's appearence reminds me of someone, not sure who.

So, the initial population was Stella, Kross, Turner, Rita, Eunice, Ganesha, Marco, Danny, Erik, and Mist. That's 10 people. Now the population is that plus: Rosetta, Selphy, Melody, Lara, Kanno, Cinnamon, Candy, Uzuki, Bianca, Tabatha, Minerva, and Brodik. So, 22 in all?

If you want to get real specific with it, you can remove the clocktower family from the list and count Bush (as he is a member of the town), and it's still 20.

As for how many are in the Turnip Mafia, their actions are secret, but Eunice and Rosetta are both possibilities, and I don't think Mist would have any issues strongarming Erik into joining given his fear of turnips. The number could be much more for all we know :tinfoil:

Brodik does vaguely looks like a generic soldier at the end of RF1, though.

Rawkking posted:

This sure seems like the worst possible way to try to get Bush to do what I think Brodik wants him to do :allears:

Can you gain FP with him, or does talking do nothing and he compensates you whenever you give him something?

Edit: Also from his initial reaction....did he move here, house and everything, not knowing we were actually here?

You can attempt to be his friend, he will gain FP from talking and gifts (he always compensates 1g), but there's the matter of how much a friend he wants to be.

As for his reaction, I think he knows we were here, but his shock is more of a "I finally meet you in person after all this time" sort of thing. The situation is a bit confusing, but given we have no idea what he's going on about anyways, maybe it's intentional.

Black Robe posted:

Bush, this isn't Fire Emblem.

Can't believe I'm getting LP crossover like this :monocle:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So, was Bush taken out by the Turnip Mafia after losing Mist, or did the runeys eat him?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The whale lost power finally. It crashed into the town. No survivors

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Rock fell, everybody died

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
The whale fell and the runeys ate Bush's corpse, yeah

MEMO TO ALL READERS OF BUSH OF SHRUB FARM'S BIOGRAPHY

But seriously, I genuinely want to get back to this LP but I remain at odds with what my hands can manage. They've been somewhat better starting this last week, and I can only manage what I've done with Fates so far because I don't have to transcribe anything. (I partially regret making that last update as big as it was as my hands did get me back for that.) I haven't had time to experiment with speech to text, and I'm not suddenly converting this to a VLP as I feel like that'd be kinda gauche.

Really blows chunks that this happened, I enjoy doing SSLPs.

The thing is, we're also not that far off from the end of this game overall. A lot of the girls are nearly at 10 LP at which their dialogue will dry up, and the end of the main story isn't very far off either. There's that and the postgame content in the towers and that's all, really. If my hands start staying better, I can maybe start pushing to finish off this LP in a little while. (The same goes for Josette, whose updates are half the size but require the same amount of work as an RFF one.)

And this is all aside from presently trying to find a job.

I greatly appreciate the patience thus far, and I plan to get back to this and my other LPs (DR2C included) somehow or another.

IF THIS EXPLANATION IS UNSATISFACTORY FOR YOU:

We're waiting until it's properly Autumn in the Northern Hemisphere for maximum immersion.

IF YOU DO NOT LIVE IN THE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE AND THIS EXPLANATION IS UNSATISFACTORY FOR YOU:

shut

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

No worries, just making sure your computer wasn't eaten by the LP curse or anything like that.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Black Robe posted:

No worries, just making sure your computer wasn't eaten by the LP curse or anything like that.

Unless my laptop and all three of my two backup drives die simultaneously, I'm good. I keep relatively frequent backups of every LP I've ever done, even the ones I never started.

...Of course now that I said that, I should probably move one to a separate location just for safety's sake. The LP curse seems insistent on damaging my hands rather than my files, but who knows when it'll change strategy :tinfoil:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Both explanations were more than satisfactory and I hope your hands feel better soon!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I don't mean to drive hopes up or anything, but it has been a month and I did make a recent discovery that's good for the future of this LP:

I can't be sure this is every line of dialogue in the game (what you can see there is from the melon smashing contest), but there is at least what seems to be most of it there. I'll fix up an old Python script of mine from a translation project sometime to get this all ripped out and formatted. Luckily, I didn't have to do any decompression or anything to get this, but unfortunately this text is all I get at the moment. No references to what character is saying it or what portrait I need to use, there's just a pointer table and unreadable code.

It's possible one of the other files may inform that, but I have no guarantee it does and breaking all that down probably isn't worth the time and effort for this situation.

The I'll still have to do each portrait+speaker by tag and the rest of the formatting, as well as having to manually search the line, but at least I don't have to transcribe all the dialogue.

I'll look into Josette's ROM sometime when I get a chance to see if I can maybe do a similar thing there. It'd be nice to get in contact with the translator, but they've gone pretty far off the radar as far as I can find.

The colder weather has been somewhat better on my hands, oddly enough (although they're not being so nice at the moment, thanks to some recent work I had to do). Maybe that's a good sign for the future though.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
So, good news, got all that text extracted and formatted into a searchable list. No progress on figuring out the pointers, but that doesn't really matter as I've made a new tool for my SSLP work that should streamline a lot and spare my hands a lot of the strain. Tags, screenshots, portraits, and dialogue should all be reduced to primarily just mouse clicks now, leaving only the commentary that I have to type.

It's not perfect, but it should do a lot to get me back on track for working on this. :toot:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Awesome, glad to hear it.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
That's good to hear, glad you've got something that works for you.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Excellent!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 42: Bush, Reloaded

Suddenly, an update!

Music: Autumn

We resume the adventures of Bush on a nice, sunny Autumn 3rd.

Our mail has already been delivered, so I suppose Anette is in better condition today?

-----------------------------------------------------
~"A warning against overindulgence." - Lara~

The weather has become pleasantly cool throughout the day.
Food is especially delicious in autumn, so be careful not to overeat.
The best time to stop eating is when you feel about 80% full.

But Bush has to put on the reserve energy for the coming Winter!

Also I do not remember ever seeing this letter.

~"Thank you." - Tabatha~

Thank you for joining Miss Bianca in her outing.
If it pleases you, I would like Master Bush to
join the Little Miss in the future as well.

Which outing is this referring to? The one from the constellation event? The one with Uzuki in the square? :confused:

Uneventful mail aside, we water our grass

grass is our only crop

pet the animals for an indeterminate amount of time although their happiness isn't going to get better anyways

I then make a mad dash up to Whale Island, hoping to meet the Irises at the end of their day, but I run out of time.

If you're wondering why the roses have produced a rune despite it not being a full 3x3 of them (once referred to as a "factory"), well...

It's because it's the rune from the tomatoes we also have up here. Sometimes the runes travel to incomplete patches, possibly as something to do with how the game checks for 3x3s.

This happens in multiple games too, so I can only assume it's intentional at this point.

sleepy vampires

(I was just a few minutes late. :( )

LARA: My pen pal made a new friend recently.

BUSH: Oh, the one that entered that school?

LARA: Yes. I felt a bit competitive so I wrote about my own new friends and our conversation really took off.

BUSH: Who is this new friend you're talking about?

Uh, when did this happen again? I somehow remember I didn't know what she was talking about even when I recorded this.

I'm sure she said something about it before.

LARA: Unfortunately, it's not you, Bush.

LARA: I wrote about Eunice and Cinnamon.

ouch, burn

and after all the chocolate cake we've given you too :cry:

TABATHA: Don't you think medicinal herbal tea would be good for you?

TABATHA: I would like to try it later!

gonna need some to heal up that sick nun burn

The Anette fans in the thread are probably wondering where she is, so I'll go ahead and stop on by Mist's house.

ANETTE: It's autumn already. All the leaves are red.

They're orange-ish-yellow still, but who am I to argue?

BUSH: Are you doing better, Anette?

ANETTE: Yeah. I was just a bit tired so I'll be fine after resting a little!

ANETTE: I'll just take a break and stay at Mist's place.

BUSH: Is that so? Then you'll be a member of our village now, Anette.

ANETTE: Hey! You're right! I am!

Bush has once again increased the population of the town. Anette will be in here for the next few days before she resumes her mail duties as usual.

I don't know if she'd have any special dialogue with Mist if she was still present, but I guess we'll never know.

ANETTE: You know, I realized something when I came here during my time off.

ANETTE: Even though I was told to go on vacation, I couldn't think of anything to do. Ahahaha.

ANETTE: I mean, you know. There's nothing here so... I had nothing to do.

Bush would invite you to do monster hunting and grinding stats, but you probably need a break from physical exertion.

Fishing, maybe?

Outside of that, there really isn't all that much to do here. Except maybe drink wine and stand around? It's what the entire population of 30 and up does.

I'm just happy she's getting actual vacation time off from her work and schoolwork.

ANETTE: Don't you get excited on days where you can sleep in? I got so excited that I couldn't sleep last night.

I can't sleep some most nights, but that's just my insomnia, not being happy to sleep in.

Bush never sleeps in if he can help it. 6:00 AM on the dot- unless a dirt nap is involved of course.

BUSH: What happened to your fishing contest with Cinnamon?

UZUKI: It was a complete defeat on my end. I just cannot understand how she can stay motionless like that.

I thought she was teaching you to fish, not having a contest?

EUNICE: Heehee! ♪

BUSH: Eunice, you sound happy.

EUNICE: Can you tell? I recieved some fresh carrots from Rosetta this morning.

BUSH: Oh...? That's rare for this season.

EUNICE: I'll make some stew with this today.

what do you mean, bush, carrots grow only in this season

Also, I've never seen someone so happy about carrots.

EUNICE: Carrots taste great when they have their edges removed and are cut into bite-size pieces before being stewed.

EUNICE: Try it the next time you cook.

BUSH: So I have to remove the edges? All right.

Apparently bush has just been putting the entire carrot on the sandwiches he makes for Selphy. It must be some big brain culinary auteur thing- we could never understand.

Bush's cooking skill went up!

Joke's on you, game, it can't go any higher. :smug:

EUNICE: Work at the inn is hard, but it's fun and certainly worth doing.

EUNICE: But, I don't like dealing with the drunk customers though.

EUNICE: Do you like working in the fields, Bush?

-------------------------
1. Yes, I do.
2. Not really.
-------------------------

I honestly couldn't tell you if Bush enjoys working on farms, I think it's just part of his existence that he engages in with many battle cries.

------------------------------------
"farming sim 2008 let's gooooo"

BUSH: Yes, I do. Growing flowers and vegetables gives me pride that I'm actually growing something.

EUNICE: I see. That's good. It'll be terrible if you don't like your own job.

"i'm mostly here for the dialogue"

BUSH: Not really.

EUNICE: Oh, really? That's too bad.

I would say the final answer is no, because Runeys.

DANNY: I wonder what happened to Rosetta's dad's illness...

DANNY: All I can do is stay here and keep the shop open.

Good on ya, Danny, although I guess this is just your job anyways.

It's worth noting that his greeting has changed to be more confident than it was before, kinda similar to how it was when he was in charge of his own store.

I might've glossed over it, but up until this point and since going out of business, it was changed to be sorta melancholy. Similarly related, Uzuki also sorta speaks a bit more naturally now compared to how she did when we first met (though this could just be a localization inconsistency).

GANESHA: Hm... I think my arms got thicker again...

BUSH: Really? You're very thin. You don't look fat to me at all.

GANESHA: Ahaha... Thanks. But in my case, my arms get thicker because of muscle. It's inevitable in this job.

Despite the brutal daily physical workout Bush engages in, he will never ascend beyond pasty anime boy physique.

You'd think having nearly 50 logging skill would do something, but alas :negative:

SELPHY: Autumn is really great. It's not hot and it's not cold either.

Best part about it, really.

SELPHY: Hmmm hmm hmmm! ♪

SELPHY: Hey, Bush! Look! I bought a new book! I can't wait to see what it's about!

BUSH: Didn't you just read that book the other day?

Yeah, you've been going on about this book for a while, what's the deal?

SELPHY: Of course not! I never forget about which books I read.

SELPHY: There are plenty of books with similar titles so maybe you mistook it for that?

BUSH: Oh...

That thing about similar titles will actually be relevant info in not too long.

SELPHY: Being here and reading when I feel like it is good because I don't have to learn stupid things or meet weird people...

SELPHY: This place is like paradise to me...

Selphy is only interested in intellectual conversation about the practical topics of fantasy romance and the occasional collection of adventures across the world, everything else threatens her subsistence on pure knowledge.

Heya, Pony! It's great to see you again! :3:

I say this because this is the start of me picking this LP back up after a long health related hiatus time on the run from the Turnip Mafia. It's been 7 months and I had trouble remembering what I was thinking even a week ago with these updates back when I was doing them.

It's been long enough I have no idea what I'm doing, so I guess I'm on the same level as Bush for a few updates!

The LP commentary will likely be somewhat different than it was, but hopefully I can keep it similarly entertaining. Style changes over time, after all, and I was still trying to both find my own footing in LP and SA in general when I first started.

To go with this, I did also go back and update all the really early updates to use the newer portrait formatting (plus a bit of other formatting) to try and make it more consistent across the LP. I didn't touch my old commentary though, it's the same as it was, for better or worse.

Now then...

Brodik will be spending a lot of time out of sight. He's not a very sociable person. The note on his house just tells us to go away.

Off to the villa then. Bush has nothing better to do than to chat people up all day, right?

Music: Brodik's Theme

(Brodik has nothing to do with this, this is just another case of a track getting used more elsewhere than it's namesake.)

MINERVA: Why?! You only care about that mansion and Bianca!

MINERVA: You don't care about me or the nation of elves!

TABATHA: I never said that. I just said that I can't go back just yet.

MINERVA: Then when are you coming back? We don't have a queen in the nation of elves right now!

MINERVA: We can't leave everything to the elders forever! Come back home!

What's Tabatha supposed to do about that? Are the elves using some sort of electoral monarch-

Oh. Oh. I see.

TABATHA: I said I can't go back yet.

MINERVA: You're just trying to weasel out of it! Do you know how long it's been since I came to this village?

TABATHA: Well...

uh two days

(I've accidentally pushed Tabatha's LP faster than intended, it seems.)

Also Bush decides this is now a fine time to waltz on into the conversation.

MINERVA: I haven't given up yet!

Aaand so she leaves.

BUSH: Tabatha, are you going to return to your country?

TABATHA: I cannot return just yet. I am Miss Bianca's maid.

BUSH: But...

TABATHA: Bush... Please do not speak of this matter to Miss Bianca.

TABATHA: Please...

Ah, but it looks like she might have overheard already...

BIANCA: Tabatha...

:smith:

Well then, it seems Tabatha has quite the hidden past! It's definitely an expansion on her motivations in RF1, where she's trying to find someone who appreciates monsters and who can "bridge the gap between humans and elves." She doesn't tell you much more than that, from what I remember.

Anyways, have some inedible ash on a plate, Minerva.

MINERVA: I'm going to take Sister back with me to the nation of the elves!

So it seems! Only time will tell how this resolves. I have a feeling it will most likely involve Bush's intervention.

MINERVA: Don't you think Anette's necklace is unusual? It's not sold in stores.

MINERVA: You know... It's actually made with a fruit that grows only in the forest of the elves.

MINERVA: Maybe I should make one, too. I'll go request it after I finish my job with Sister.

BUSH: You're not going to make it?

MINERVA: Well...the only fruit or nuts you can get here are chestnuts...

MINERVA: The chestnuts here taste really good so I always end up eating them when I'm trying to dry them...

Ann's necklace is an acorn. A golden acorn. I guess elf-land has acorn shaped fruit, unless that's just another translation mishap.

MINERVA: I'm bored...

MINERVA: Hey, Bush! Take me somewhere!

Alas poor Minerva, unaware that the gods once known as Neverland decreed her undateable. Perhaps in a later installment, if the new pantheon remembers that you exist.

MINERVA: Oh, good day to you...

BIANCA: What are you doing? You don't usually talk like that.

MINERVA: Can't I even try something new?!

MINERVA: I want to be like Sister!

Despite her reason for being here and the tension caused from it, Minerva really does like her sister. :unsmith:

BIANCA: There is a food called "Bavarois." I'd like to try it once.

BIANCA: Bring it to me if you find it, but I won't hold my breath.

I don't think this is an item in the game. Could be wrong though.

Also, I have no idea how Bianca heard Minerva from all the way in here. That's some excellent hearing. Or maybe poor architectural design?

BUSH: Is there anything you don't like, Bianca?

BIANCA: Let's see... I hate things that are unnecessarily frugal. Like...rice balls.

I believe this is the only gift that does affect her FP/LP. Negatively, too. What onigiri based traumatic event happened in her past? We shall never know.

It's also just as likely she's giving the first thing that comes to mind because she really just doesn't like any gifts.

BUSH: There's monster-food inside.

BIANCA: Francoise only gets the best food there is.

Only level 10 fodder will do for Franswah.

ERIK: I heard that Anette moved in with Mist.

ERIK: But, she doesn't look that happy. I hope it's just my imagination...

Mist is still in Gelwein's hyperspace or something. Neither are having a great time of it right about now.

Music: Lava Ruins

After this, it's off to the Lava Ruins clearing some land. I forget what for.

Ah, right, just clearing land for wood farming.

And so Bush does that for a while. I think we were trying to get the house upgrade?

And of course, Magic Crystal farming.

3 hours of farming gets us nothing. It seems we shall be workin' in the mage mines tomorrow as well.

Ey, Melody! Perfect baths as usual!

One thing that has changed in my absence is that I know more about onsen and bathhouses. It's surprisingly hard to find info on operational matters, but there's some fun cultural stuff.

It was one of those "look up one thing, fall down a rabbit hole of research" type deals.

So I guess I get to share that now?

Music: Whale Island Outside

Nab a gift for Kross on the way up to the Irises...

Had no Tomato Juice, so flower it is :negative:

(probably need to chill on their LP gain anyways sheesh)

IRIS NOIRE: When I close my eyes while looking at the night sky, it feels like I'm fusing into the heavens.

IRIS NOIRE: It feels as if I'm swimming with the stars. I really love that feeling.

For me it just triggers my fear of falling. Like I'm going to suddenly fly into the sky or something. But this is cool too.

utterly destroyed by a giant mango or whatever it is

Pony as always, extremely MVP for letting us just zip up the tail tree.

We of course, seek wood.

Not that kind, get your mind out of the dirt. We sleep on that dirt face-down, thank you very much.

Music: Whale Island Tower

I do give the inside of the tower a shot. On our list of final goals to consider Bush's adventure done, clearing this place is one of them.

These ghost enemies throw multi-hitting projectiles that hurt a decent bit given they can combo for 100. At least we're not staggered by it, but they do a number on Pony. :(

The upper layer is a lot of staircases back down into other towers. There's a shortcut up here somewhere I'm trying to find.

To the south are more ghost recolors, what I believe is the Hades, and even the High Orc monsters, both of which are recolors in blue.

Further south we've got the buffamoo and weagle recolors and a collapsed entrance (no reaction to our hammer)...

The cow I believe is the Buffazoo, and the bird a Blackbird. Despite being blue.

To the left from there brings us to the staircase that leads to the Tower of Plenty.

There's Blood Panthers in here, so I bail in a heartbeat

those things did not need as much of a glow-up as they got

North from there is a grown over staircase, with a path continuing north or a route to the east.

We go north and meet a Minotaur King. Path continues north or goes up a staircase to our northeast.

Staircase it is!

I decide to grab the lumber from there and call it for the day. We shall get that shortcut another day.

And that's all for Autumn 3rd.

*KNOCK KNOCK*

um what

BUSH: ...Who could it be?

I guess we go outside and see who it is?

*Bush stands around looking as a familiar light haired dude dashes silently away over the bridge.*

HMM, GEE WILIKERS I WONDER WHO IT WAS

Can't believe this dude tried to hit us with the ol' doorbell and bail prank. Not even mad, this is a really pretty angle. I forgot how good this game can look sometimes.

Anyways, that IS all for this time. Only a single day, yeah, but we're just getting back into the swing of things. There's a lot of back end work I had to do here, merging content from my old workflow with my new one.

Can say though, working pretty well! Glad to be back with Bush and this strange little town.

=========================================

BUSH: Huzza-wha? What's going on?

MYSTERY: Oh thank St. Poli, he finally woke up.

BUSH: Oh, hey.

MYSTERY: That's all you've got to say after 7 months of non-stop sleep? "Oh, hey?" Really?

MYSTERY: *sigh* I suppose it doesn't really matter. Ratings have never been higher, for some reason.

BUSH: Hrm, where was I? Oh, yes, Summer 14th, three weeks into the International Runey Wars. Arch-Empress Tabatha was-

MYSTERY: That's... nowhere close to being right.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 20, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
He's the Bush, he's the Bush- the Bush is back~

That is to say, Bush is back in action, folks! I meant to save this until I had the entire backlog ready, but I've only got like 4 or 5 updates left to go and a bit of postgame content that will have to wait until after the final bachlelorette vote. I'm sitting on 6 more in reserve, so there's no worries. That and I really want to see this LP through to the end.

Gotten a lot better at managing my hands too in the meantime. I won't curse anything, but it's looking good.

In preparation for this, I did also go back and finish re-updating the old early updates to use this formatting style. I'll be going through the entire LP on my own time just for similar clean up work, (currently on Update 12), so you can do a re-read if you want. My LPing style has shifted quite a bit, I've found.

Anyways have an Oatmeal on me:

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
It's good to see this LP back! Glad your hands are managing better, Odd Wilson. I've been looking forward to more of Bush's Bizarre Adventure. Looks like Bachelorette events are starting to ramp up again.

Brodik totally wants in on the Turnip Mafia, sneaking like that. He'd never make the cut, though.

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013
Oh man, it's great to see this LP back! Thank you for all the hard work you put into this SSLP. Hope your hands are better now, RSI can be a real bitch especially if you still need to use a keyboard for work.

I think I still have a 6-year old save for this game somewhere on my backup drive. Now I feel guilty for abandoning my farm.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Welcome back, glad your hands are doing a bit better.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Annette Odd Annette Odd is feeling better, hooray!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Odd Wilson posted:

~"A warning against overindulgence." - Lara~

The weather has become pleasantly cool throughout the day.
Food is especially delicious in autumn, so be careful not to overeat.
The best time to stop eating is when you feel about 80% full.

...shut up, Lara, don't you judge.

Odd Wilson posted:

LARA: Unfortunately, it's not you, Bush.

LARA: I wrote about Eunice and Cinnamon.

ouch, burn

and after all the chocolate cake we've given you too :cry:

I get the impression Lara hasn't forgiven you for sleeping for seven months.

Odd Wilson posted:

SELPHY: Being here and reading when I feel like it is good because I don't have to learn stupid things or meet weird people...

SELPHY: This place is like paradise to me...

Living the dream right here.

Odd Wilson posted:

Brodik will be spending a lot of time out of sight. He's not a very sociable person. The note on his house just tells us to go away.

Likewise living the dream.

Anyway, joining everyone else to say I'm pleased this is back and that you're doing better.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Looks like Bachelorette events are starting to ramp up again.

Brodik totally wants in on the Turnip Mafia, sneaking like that. He'd never make the cut, though.

Oh, Bachelorette events are going to be on high gear for the next couple of days. There's a few events we won't see until after the postgame hits, but we'll be seeing a lot soon.

That Brodik would never make the cut, but he's too slick for an off the road townie he must be from a rival organization :ssh:

sandorius posted:

I think I still have a 6-year old save for this game somewhere on my backup drive. Now I feel guilty for abandoning my farm.

the runeys are all dead

But hey, my old unfinished file on the Wii is like 7 years old at this point. Imagine how worse it'd be if the runeys were on a real-time system like this was Animal Crossing or something.

Black Robe posted:

I get the impression Lara hasn't forgiven you for sleeping for seven months.

but, but... I haven't passed out in weeks

that has to be worth something, right? :negative:

It's good to see this LP back! Glad your hands are managing better, Odd Wilson. I've been looking forward to more of Bush's Bizarre Adventure.

sandorius posted:

Oh man, it's great to see this LP back! Thank you for all the hard work you put into this SSLP. Hope your hands are better now, RSI can be a real bitch especially if you still need to use a keyboard for work.

cardinale posted:

Welcome back, glad your hands are doing a bit better.

Slaan posted:

Annette Odd Annette Odd is feeling better, hooray!

Black Robe posted:

Anyway, joining everyone else to say I'm pleased this is back and that you're doing better.

It's good to you have you all back! :haibrow:

Genuine thanks for the warm welcome back and the patience with the delay :shobon:

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 12, 2023

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Welcome back! I've missed this LP, so this was a nice surprise. :3

Odd Wilson posted:

BUSH: Are you doing better, Anette?

BUSH: Yeah. I was just a bit tired so I'll be fine after resting a little!

ANETTE: I'll just take a break and stay at Mist's place.

That second Bush should probably be Annette, no?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Raitzeno posted:

Welcome back! I've missed this LP, so this was a nice surprise. :3

That second Bush should probably be Annette, no?

:doh:

Wouldn't be a return to form if my first update back on this didn't have an error.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Welcome back!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 43: Moon Made of Cheese Confirmed, Researcher Says

He's finally back, to till some land.

(also that 52 hour playtime, wow)

It is Fall 4th 6:00 AM and we find Bush in his natural habitat- in the kitchen cooking food.

I did remember tomato juice this time.

all these hostage runeys are really eating up box space

too bad, it wont save you

Right, I'd left the fields to just be fodder grass for a while. Runey production is appreciated, and I'm also trying to avoid something that may happen in a couple days.

I think I remember just eventually growing some stuff anyways, but this does leave us with more time and HP/RP to get to work on our adventuring side of life anyways. We're rich, so that's probably more important.

Being able to get inside people's bedrooms in the morning really helps the time schedule.

CINNAMON: ...Fish is in season. Did you eat some?

Definitely will at some point- it remains decent food no matter the season.

Also we're now out of reserve Magic Crystals, back to the mines we goooooo

CINNAMON: Did you find the Broom Constellation?

BUSH: Yes. I found it funny how it really looked like a broom.

CINNAMON: There is a legend that says it's the broom used by the servant of God to sweep the heavens. He'd probably need a broom that size then.

Who is God? Who is St. Poli, really?

These questions answered probably never. Bush only believes in the fine art of cooking and yelling loudly while swinging farming tools.

BUSH: Can you see the Spirits, Candy?

CANDY: Well... I can't see or hear them very clearly... but I can tell where they are and what they're thinking sometimes.

More Spirit lore. You ever think she's just hearing the voices of the thread?

...It's probably best if that's not the case. We don't want her to know how we rate her hat in competition to the others in town.

I sacrifice 6 Tree Runeys to get more lumber spawns. Still got a ways to go on getting that bigger house and St. Poli knows we got enough tree runeys.

ENVIRONMENTAL STATUS: Destabilizing rapidly outside of managed regions. Cursory maintenance advised.

On our way to visit the vampires, we find a spectacular sight: Blue Roses!

So we've finally got that for making the wedding item. As it turns out, these only mill back down into White Rose seeds, so there's no reason to specifically keep them separate. The Blues do sell for more, but I need to calculate if waiting for them is actually a profit.

IRIS NOIRE: How was your day today? When everyone else's day ends, mine begins. It feels a bit strange...

For us, your day ends when our day really begins ...But I guess it applies for everyone too anyways?

I know a good few folk in very different timezones and years later I still forget half the time. Still always weird to be chatting in the morning and them ready to go to sleep.

Oh, hey, Selphy cleaned the library up again! Nice work! :golfclap:

We've also got a new book to check out, even if it is fashionably late:

~The Phantom Blue Rose~

"Moonlight has the power to create something that does not exist in nature."

"One of those creations is the 'Blue Rose.'"

"Grow a white rose, and once it has taken root, leave it out in the moonlight for a few days."

"The exposure to moonlight will turn the rose a lustrous blue."

At least the game gives a lot of hints on how to do it.

Luckily for me, the text dump does contain all the book text.

In fact, it has almost all the text in the game, but the mail. So until I find those, I've still gotta transcribe those. I'm still always happy to get mail despite that.

We've also got more books than just that.

~New Species Discovery!~

"I saw it with my own eyes! A Clucky as big as a mountain flying over me! That cannot be a normal Clucky! No way!"

"Please, believe me!! I'm not crazy!!"

Um, alright. I wonder if this person ever discovered that the Chickogriff is the secret to alchemical duplication.

Still no idea why this is in the library.

~Magic Users of the World~

"Vol. 12.
Yui: The Mysterious Magic User"

"Perhaps the most famous magic user is "Yui," a practitioner shrouded in mystery. History gives us little record of her life, but the effects of her magic can still be felt even to this day."

"The coast of a certain sea is completely devoid of life, and it is said that Yui was responsible. It is also believed to be Yui who turned the moon into cheese."

"There is a town in the north that never sees snow even during winter. Apparently Yui is also responsible for a town in the south, where Cherry Flowers bloom year-round."

"What's even more amazing about Yui, is that she was active for only 1 year, but according to the limited sources available, at that time she was only 5."

That's one powerful preschooler. :magical:

Also, moon made of cheese confirmed, hell yeah. Maybe Bush will make it into this book series some day.

~The Snow Ruins~

"The Adventures of John Arthur Section 1, Chapter 14, Part 12 'The Snow Ruins'"

"'The Snow Ruins' As the name suggests, these ruins are covered in snow, but the climate is rather mild like autumn."

"I'm sure the climate was much colder when they were carrying out low temperature research on Runes, but this is much nicer for me."

"At the entrance of these ruins are slopes and a frozen door. I destroyed nearby fridges (just cut the cord!) to melt the ice and move forward. My adventure was going well."

"However, due to an accident, I had no choice but to give up my exploration. I cannot disclose the details here, ...but it was definitely not because I got hungry."

Snow Ruins was evidently where they were studying Runary Supercomputers.

Also apparently the ice mist generators are refrigerators?

~The Elves~

"Elves, famous for their beauty, are a monarchical race in a forest in the Far North, ruled by a queen."

"Having a much longer lifespan than humans, they have preserved a culture that deeply respects nature, the vehicle of life itself."

Nothing we didn't already know here. This book was probably opened up by that Tabatha event from last update.

Maybe the reason so many elves seem to be in the hospitality industry is because they are already nature's custodians?

~The Beginning of Man~

"The Kingdom of Norad is small but houses the oldest royal family in the world. Because of their long history people from all around the world respect them as the wellspring of mankind."

"The successive kings of Norad worked to live in harmony with nature, and these philanthropic efforts are another reason for the respect Norad receives."

"However, even a kingdom like Norad has enemies. The Zzyzx Empire in the south is a militant nation burning with ambitions of world domination. It has invaded Norad countless times..."

Man, Zzyzx. What a name. Still prefer Sechs.

Either way, Norad's real important in the grand scheme of things, you'd think we'd have some alliances or something to call in on these invasions.

I think that is enough reading for quite a while. Bush's brain is just packed with intelligence now.

SELPHY: What's wrong? I already left that money issue to you, Bush.

SELPHY: Just make up an excuse to Lara for me. Thanks.

For what does an ascetic who has mastered the art of subsistence entirely upon literature need with the concept of money?

We'll probably just spot her the money, Bush has more than enough.

Haven't been able to bring up that matter to Lara yet though. Might have to be in the clinic for it to count.

ANETTE: Morning, Bush.

Ann's still depressed, with new voice line and all. At least she's still having lunch with the forever friend-zoned Erik.

ANETTE: *phew*

BUSH: What's wrong?

ANETTE: Hm? I was just thinking about how pitiful I am for collapsing so easily.

BUSH: Well, you do run around every single day. It's not pathetic at all.

BUSH: I really think you should rest more.

ANETTE: Haha. Thanks, Bush. You're so nice...

:unsmith:

ANETTE: *sigh*

ANETTE: I-It's nothing! Don't worry about me.

Well, I suppose we ought to leave her to it. :smith:

Meanwhile, Bush is off catching some backup fish for Uzuki and Cinnamon but keeps accidentally catching fish too good to gift.

EUNICE: Everything just tastes so wonderful during this season so I always end up overeating.

EUNICE: I don't know what to do...

Eunice has been captured by the Big Pumpkin Spice Industry. We will need to redouble our efforts to prevent them from taking over this town.

I found Candy again and prepared a sacrifice of 12 Water Runeys for more rain in the next 7 days. Should hopefully spare me from watering for a few days.

MARCO: Mom includes bell peppers in dinner sometimes.

MARCO: She keeps telling me to stop being picky about food, but that's just child abuse!

Yeah, they're kinda strong unless they're well mixed into something. I'll be honest, I can only take so much of them alone. Quite bitter.

A brief stop to get a few chestnuts...

We drop by to gift our good buddy Kross and to get a refresher on how much more material we need for our house upgraded.

Cost: 900 Lumber and 75,000 gold.
Current: 773 Lumber and 134,377 gold.

So just a bit more wood to go!

So I run out to hit up some more uncleaned fields in the Magic Crystal Mines.

I work until bathtime, and we're just 70 lumber off our goal. Not bad.

Melody quietly watches as Bush erupts blue thunder and does frontflips with an axe in her waiting room.

I suppose our first onsen fact is one that isn't very new to anyone with a moderate understanding of Japanese culture. Nevertheless, we must begin with the basics.

Onsen are primarily a relaxation thing. You either come already washed or clean yourself off to the side via a shower or by bucketing water from the spring itself. There are private baths too, but this is still a rule.

They of course, are still rigorously cleaned given their nature as a public fixture. How often depends on the onsen itself, but there's a good deal of laws and health regulations that exist to try and keep them safe but operational.

This has been your bathhouse facts for the day.

Music: Snow Ruins

Following that, we dip into the Snow Ruins. I believe it's to grind weapon skill and EXP.

Shock and awe, it's actually just more woodcutting.

But it has been done!

I guess this makes the wood day I wished for kind of irrelevant, but that can still go towards the pharmacy expansion and a bigger barn.

We are able to get into Kross's house at night now, but I don't know if he'll schedule work now that it's like 8 at night.

Music: Kross' Theme

KROSS: When the moon is red, someone is plotting something terrible somewhere. You have to be careful.

Oh, um... thanks for the warning! :ohdear:

Kross still won't let us look at his closet, but we're not far off from it.

Well, with a hard day's work done, how else to spend our night by churning butter?

The Cooking Master sleeps only when the dishes are done :black101:

His efforts demand more ingredients- MORE!

Oh, and while I'm here, Eunice gets a cake just because we can. We must fight the encroachment of seasonal foods with... seasonal cake?

At least chestnut is an actual Fall crop in this world, pumpkins are Summer crops! :colbert:

In case anyone wanted to know, Bianca is the manor's owner, and our like 3 LP with her isn't enough to get us in the manor at night.

And to reaffirm an earlier point, Blue Roses do just make White Rose seeds. I've still got the previous white rose around, so we get seeds from that instead.

(i loaded a savestate to undo using the blue one :ssh: )

Go ahead and plant those on the island with a new batch of carrots We don't need more carrots at this point (Selphy will hit 10 soon) but I didn't have anything else worth planting on hand.

That and the sandwiches are just crazy good anyways. Gonna be good to have as combat healing.

And that's all for Fall 4th!

Music: Trampoli

And here's the next day! It's not raining.

Having done all our meal prep last night, we can just head out no fuss.

Mail!

...But no Anette. :(

~"Breakfast" - Eunice~

Bush, do you eat breakfast?
I heard that breakfast is always a problem
when a man lives alone.
If you are having a hard time cooking
for yourself, I would gladly help.

Bush does have problems cooking for himself, but that's just because he's always giving away what he makes. He does only eat breakfast if he gets so tired from cooking that he needs it. Still, we'd never say no to hanging out with Eunice. (There is no reply available, alas.)

Personally what I consider breakfast is just leftovers from last night. Even pizza. Or chili.

...Sometimes I eat stuff that's kinda breakfasty. Sometimes.

~"Fish Curry" - Cinnamon~

I made fish curry.
Even Candy thought it was good.
I wonder why she looked so surprised.

It seems Bush's culinary advice turned out well.

I've still never had curry.

MOW THAT LAWN

Tomato juice delivered to the Irises, but no new dialogue.

I spend some time getting more lumber off Whale Island before heading back down.

LARA: My pen pal lives somewhere that's much colder than the Kingdom of Norad.

LARA: I hope that she doesn't become ill...

I feel like Noradian medicine hasn't fully understood germ theory yet.

STELLA: Ow...

BUSH: What's wrong, Stella?

STELLA: Oh, it's you, Bush... Looks like you caught me at a bad time.

STELLA: It's nothing. I slipped while I was working and fell on my backside pretty hard. Thanks to that, I ruined one of the vases.

BUSH: Oh no... That sounds terrible.

Bush, why are you smiling at that? :mad:

Hrm... didn't Lara dream about something similar to this a few days ago?

STELLA: Rosetta is back in her hometown to look after her sick father.

STELLA: Just give her some kind words when you get the chance to talk to her. I'm sure she's feeling very tired.

Man, the town really is in a slump all around isn't it?

Rosetta is still max priority on Holiday, so we'll be sure to find her. (least of all the fact that her being gone is what's delaying the main plot)

SELPHY: The bathhouse here is really nice. I can feel Melody's love for baths.

SELPHY: Compared to it, my bath back home was just huge, but I couldn't feel any love from it.

BUSH: What kind of place is your home, Selphy?

SELPHY: Don't worry about that! It's not manly to go snooping!

BUSH: Wait, why am I getting yelled at?

Selphy, as always, hiding her past life with mixed results. Bush, as always, is completely oblivious.

Of course, Melody's bath is excellent. We know this to be irrefutably true.

Anette likes to sit down here in main area Trampoli during this part of her storyline. We of course have Pumpkin Tarts on the ready.

Sugar won't solve depression, but hey, Bush does all he knows how to do.

ANETTE: It's autumn already. All the leaves are red.

There's... not actually that many red trees around. The red and purple leaves are my favorite colors of autumn, personally.

ANETTE: *sigh*

ANETTE: Maybe I'm not fit to do postal work...

BUSH: Don't say that!

BUSH: You're only feeling down because you had to take a little break. It's okay to rest!

ANETTE: Haha... Thanks.

ANETTE: But, to tell you the truth, I wanted to do a different job.

ANETTE: Every single member of my family is a mailman. That's why I also became one. It's like a tradition.

ANETTE: But, where did I go wrong?

BUSH: Do you hate your job as a mailman, Anette?

ANETTE: No, I love it. Letters are like sending emotions. I love bringing them from person to person.

ANETTE: The ones who send out letters and the ones who receive them... I like seeing their smiles.

BUSH: Then why...?

ANETTE: I don't know... Like you said, I think I'm just feeling down right now.

ANETTE: But don't misunderstand me. I love this village. Mist is really nice, too, even if she's a little weird...

ANETTE: ... Thanks for hearing me out. I think I feel better now.

BUSH: Anette...

ANETTE: What? Bush, don't give me that face!

ANETTE: I'm fine! I'm back to how I always am!

Things are getting better, slowly. :unsmith:

This is one of the longest dialogues we've had in a while, didn't want to interrupt it. Ann's storyline is almost done.

Although, maybe she's not doing so great if she's still seeing Mist around the house :ohdear:

ANETTE: Working hard on your fields? I better work just as hard.

That's the spirit!

wait, we don't work on our fields really at all

TABATHA: Please do not tell Miss Bianca that Minerva is here to bring me back.

TABATHA: Please...

Your secret is safe with us, though I have a sinking feeling it might not stay that way.

TABATHA: I made a mistake with the medicinal herbal tea... Miss Bianca hated it... Perhaps with more practice...

Well, if anyone can do it, it's probably you. Even Bush's cooking is nothing in the face of Bianca's tastes.

TABATHA: It certainly feels like autumn now.

TABATHA: When I first saw the fallen leaves, I was very surprised. I had thought that all the trees had died.

BUSH: You've never seen fallen leaves, Tabatha?

TABATHA: Not before I came to the human towns, I've never seen them. The trees in the nation of the elves stay green all year.

I wonder if this means that Elf Land is filled with evergreen trees? It's probably just in one of those weird seasonal locked regions this world has though.

We don't see it here, but basically every other RF game shows that Norad is a place permanently confused as to what season it is.

Oh, hey, it's this dude! Finally he leaves his house for once.

BUSH: Brodik, did you want something?

BRODIK: Heh heh heh...

BRODIK: What are you talking about? I have business with you!

BUSH: But weren't you knocking on my door?

BRODIK: I did no such thing! You won't be able to chase me out like that!

BRODIK: Hah ha ha!

um alright sir

I imagine it's supposed to be "I have no business" as this man's localization ain't the best, but honestly... it kinda works? Him just talking confusingly just adds to how much he's trying to agitate Bush.

BRODIK: I hear that during a mission in the past, you said that you wanted to hide out in the countryside and run a farm.

BRODIK: I never thought that you would really start one up...

BRODIK: And it's called the Shrub Farm?

BRODIK: Are you sure you want to keep it as Shrub Farm?

BRODIK: That name of your farm isn't witty at all! At least do something about it to make it harder for people to find out!

BRODIK: Hah ha ha!

Oi, mate, put 'em up- that's where I draw the line! Nobody makes fun of Bush's Shrub Farm!

:argh:

Here, have a pumpkin you twerp.

BRODIK: Did you put something in this? I'm going to get your neighbor to test it first.

*You were given 1 Gold!*

BRODIK: There's a little something for your troubles! Can you see how generous I am?! Hahahaha!

It's an... interesting design decision to make a character whose pure existence is just be a dink, but here he is.

He hates pumpkins by the way. Same goes for Pendants.

Apparently he loves Apple Pie? It'll be a long time before those are available again.

Kross, my brother, get down from there please.

(he does not)

A bit of nothing happens for a bit before I go home to craft some until the bath opens. The important craft here is the Average Pole. It takes our current Starter Pole + Silver + Thin Stick + Bamboo Shoot to make.

Badabam, there it is. It'll hopefully let us make expert catches again, of which have been pretty much nonexistent since we first upgraded the pole.

...And hopefully it doesn't backfire on us like the Rainbow Can.

Speaking of that fabulous water container, I start smashing scrap metal into it to grind Forging skill. Being a recipe we can barely perform, it's worth a lot of EXP even if I can't actually improve the level at the moment.

Doing this until we're nearly on the floor asleep gets... 3.5 skill points. And that was like 14 scrap. Yowza.

MINERVA: It's good how this summer home is pretty...

MINERVA: But it's so big that I feel uneasy being in there.

MINERVA: Bianca said that this place is cramped so I keep wondering where she used to live.

This place is maybe twice as big? Not to say that the Kardia Coquille Manor isn't large on it's own.

And before we get our bath, it's time for a big step: finally getting our bigger house!

Do it, Kross! You're the only man I'd trust with this job!

KROSS: I'll start right away. So would you wait a little bit?

*One short fade away later...*

KROSS: Sorry to have kept you waiting. I just finished. You should go check out your house.

Fastest carpenter in the biz right here! Done just like that.

Music: Trampoli Daily Life

From the outside, it's not that noticeable, but you might notice the bit of the tower peeking just to the left of the main roof. But...

You can definitely see the change on the inside! A big L-shaped staircase.

I'll be mean and hold you in suspense until the end of the update to see how the bedroom looks.

bath

(only 1 bath fact per update

A while later, Bush finds himself back down in Snow Ruins, trying to fight some enemies for experience.

The going is rough.

But no matter how hard we look...

BUSH: Man, this is shut tight. It'd be nice if I could find some other way in.

...There doesn't seem to be any way in further from this side.

So in the meantime, Bush gets to pummeling demons to hone his skills....

Levels keep us sustained into the long night as Bush axes demon after demon.

We got some levels and skill out of this, but not a ton.

And after that he get sleepy

so bed we go :)

The bedroom itself is a cozy little room. A window, a vase of flowers, a space for paintings from Lute, and even a chair and shelf on the left.

I suppose this means Kross hauled the bed up the staircase by himself. :magical:

But with that, bye for now, folks. Next time, some important stuff goes down!

Music: Goodnight

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 20, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Just a few updates off a complete backlog! Which means I might be able to speed up the update frequency when I do. There's not a lot of stuff to show off in the postgame, it's mostly festivals, and I'm on the update for the final fight right now.

I still haven't gotten that one file to the Iris Noire fight. It's like it's stuck or something, I have no idea what's wrong with it. Someday I'll get it working.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Still not sure what's going on with Kross, but he's an interesting fella all the same. A strong one too apparently.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Annette, if you're being blackmailed by Mist's Turnip Mafia give us a sign via the post. Two days with letters for us is yes, three days with letters for us is No :ohdear:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 44: The Legend of Mist - Grimoire of Time

Look alive, people, Bush is on the move!

There's no better way to start the day than to find a place to conceal worrying amounts of demon blood.

We make more gifts for everyone, really. No reason not to when I've got all these extra ingredients lying around.

Cinnamon, of course, remains the hardest person to get a gift for at this point.

There's no mail today, so we get about our farm chores. Most notably, the extra blue roses go in the shipping bin. We only need one for the marriage item, so the rest is good profit.

The Irises have nothing to say today, I pet the animals as usual...

And fishing with our new rod proves trickier than I thought. The bar moves quite fast now.

I eventually get the hang of it.

DANNY: Because Rosetta's not here, I have to work hard.

DANNY: The general store will be open as usual so you can come shop like you always do.

Operative word being "can". I don't have a lot of reason to at the moment unless Rosetta's there.

UZUKI: In my country, we have a custom of eating dumplings while looking at the moon in autumn.

BUSH: Why do you eat dumplings?

TSUBUTE: I...don't know.

BUSH: Oh...

This is apparently a reference to Tsukimi, a Japanese festival in which you do... exactly this. Cursory research reveals the origin to be just borrowing the Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival which itself dates back to 1500 BCE originally as a religious ceremony.

You learn something new every update!

ANETTE: Don't you get excited on days where you can sleep in? I got so excited that I couldn't sleep last night.

i wish my insomnia had a reason

Still good to see she's cheering up somewhat.

BRODIK: Haha! Well aren't you up early?!

Brodink has little to say today- which seems to be a running theme for the day.

CINNAMON: ...Is it fun talking with me?

------------------------------
1. Yes, it's fun.
2. Okay, I guess.

Of course, we all know what comes next regardless of choice:

CINNAMON: ...Oh.

BUSH: (What did she mean...?)

MINERVA: The red autumn leaves are amazing. I never saw the tree leaves change color like that!

If Tabatha was once surprised by it, it's no shock that Minerva would be as well.

There's so little going on today, that we head into Snow Ruins by 11:30 AM to go grind more demons.

We do this until the bathhouse opens at 3.

We pay our entry fee, but we don't actually go in. We finished off our grind with another level, so Bush is currently fully restored.

We'll come back later.

We ride back to the church to see if Lara's dialogue has updated now that she's inside the clinic, but something surprising happens...

A cutscene starts!

Over in the small graveyard to the side of the church, Bush finds Candy crying, and a large hole open in the ground! A rope tied around a gravestone leads in...

CANDY: Oh, Bush! Marco, he... He went in there!

CANDY: I found a hole while I was chasing after Spirits, and I dropped the doll I got from my sister in it by accident.

CANDY: So Marco said he'd get it for me and went inside...

CANDY: He hasn't come out for a long time...

CANDY: Could you please help Marco?

BUSH: Okay. I'll bring Marco back, so you just sit tight, all right?

BUSH: Don't worry. I'll bring him back safe and sound, so trust me. Trust Marco.

CANDY: Okay... Thank you so much!

Marco, you're still level 1! We have to hurry! :ohdear:

but first, here's some tomato juice

Down we go! Bush to the rescue!

The rope takes us down into Snow Ruins! If this place still kicks our tail, Marco is in real trouble.

We walk forward just a bit and...

MARCO: Hey!

MARCO: Hey, Bush!

We found him!

...That was easy. He seems to be trapped behind some of the usual ice crystals from down here.

MARCO: Help me! The ceiling suddenly collapsed on me, and now I can't get out!

MARCO: I would have been able to break through it if I had a hammer, but my mom said I'm too young and wouldn't let me take one...

Well, unless it was a fire hammer, it wouldn't have helped.

bam

MARCO: Thanks. I was getting kinda scared thinking maybe I'd never get out...

MARCO: Oh, yeah. You can't tell my mom about this, okay...? It's a secret, okay?

And so he runs off, but it did look like he dropped something...

Ah, it's Candy's doll.

Might as well chop this wood while I'm down here. Funny enough, the frontflip actually caught the fridge wires from behind.

But with a new entrance into the Ruins, where might it lead? Well, this door seems extremely promising!

We're on the other side of the room Mist was locked in! I don't know how you did it, kids, but you did!

Ready yourself, Gelwein! :black101:

BUSH: It's...gotten bigger than before...

This is also true. The giant shadow rune is massive now, which does not bode well.

Well, look who it is.

GELWEIN: I guess I should say, "Welcome."

GELWEIN: I don't particularly like you, but I must admit, it's a bit lonely welcoming the beginning of a new era without an audience.

BUSH: Stop what you're doing! The island will fall and cause a terrible disaster!

GELWEIN: And your point is?

BUSH: What...did you say?

GELWEIN: A town or two disappearing is none of my concern. In fact, it's like the cornerstone of my plan. You should be thanking me.

Wow, dude, you really haven't had anyone to talk to in forever have you. He really is just going to explain his evil plan even more.

GELWEIN: Behold! This giant and ominous cluster of Runes!

I know this is supposed to be a serious moment, but who would even say this?

BUSH: ...! That's...!!!

*We cut away to see a familiar head popping out from beneath the ominous rune.*

BUSH: Mist!

GELWEIN: I have never before seen someone so in touch with the Spirits.

GELWEIN: Even the powers of the vampire tribe pale in comparison to this one. Her inner voice is practically screaming for the help of the Spirits.

GELWEIN: They respond in droves, making this Rune swell with Spirits.

GELWEIN: Its power is enormous. It's enough to completely control the being that could end the world...

BUSH: What have you done to Mist?!

GELWEIN: Nothing, really. Just causing a little pain so she'll subconsciously call out for help.

GELWEIN: A little...unbearable pain...

:stare:

BUSH: Why you... I won't let you continue!

Kick his rear end, Bush!

*Bush rushes forward!*

*A flash of white light emits!*

BUSH: Ugh...!

GELWEIN: Too bad. You're a bit too late. My plan is progressing flawlessly.

GELWEIN: With this girl, this giant Rune and magical creatures, I can destroy the world!

GELWEIN: The world that rejected me!

BUSH: Wa-wait...

(This last part was actually voice acted. Gelwein is a bit higher pitched and nasal than I thought.)

Another cutscene!

*We see Mist...*

*Her eyes are dim and barely conscious as runes swell up around her...!*

*The Dark Rune grows larger...!*

*We see her sinking into the ground for a brief moment before she seemingly warps away!*

*Gelwein readies himself with a flourish-*

*He too is sucked into the spherical void, which lasts but for a moment until...!*

*It dissolves with an eerie crackle, Bush left standing helpless to the side.*

BUSH: Mist... I'm...sorry I...couldn't...do... anything...

Well, drat. This really isn't good. :ohdear:

Maybe we should've been looking for this entrance instead of ignoring this situation for a week.

Oh, but what's this on the ground?

BUSH: Is this... a book...? The letters... they're floating...!

~Grimoire of Time~

"Pray to heaven with a song as the winds caress me."
"Send a prayer up to the light so that it might help me see."
"Searching through my memories, memories, my memories for you."

BUSH: I wonder what this means...

BUSH: What's this on the back...? I can't read it. Maybe Kanno can.

Either Mist left this for us or Gelwein dropped it like a fool, but regardless, it's still something to work with.

The term "Grimoire" has always been important in the events Bush has been through, though it originally referred to a dragon. Maybe this is the real Grimoire?

The description at least informs us that it contains poems, though we can't read it. Wizard Grandpa is probably the best lead we have here.

Although we were able to read some of it? I suppose it just happened to be the only readable one.

There is one other door left in this chamber.

Off to the left, it seems to be a depressing little bedroom. Either this was Gelwein's or Noire's. Knowing him, it was probably Noire's. :smith:

Who'd have thought this was all just underneath the church? Or, um, maybe where the Whale Island being dragged down to the earth centers itself most days of the week?

You would not believe what just happened, Anette.

Music: Clock Tower

Magic Gramps! We need your aid!

BUSH: Kanno, I...

KANNO: You weren't able to stop Gelwein. I can tell. It's written on your face.

BUSH: Yeah... He disappeared right in front of me.

(Bush must really be in shock because he says this line twice.)

KANNO: Hm... This book is quite old...

BUSH: Can you read it?

KANNO: It's written in an ancient incantation language. This will take some time to decipher.

KANNO: Bush, will you lend me this book for a while?

BUSH: Sure. Of course. Take as much time as you need.

We are given an option not to, but we have no reason not to give it to him.

Anette, why are you hanging around here anyways?

ANETTE: Say... Do you, um...like m... *cough* I mean...

:aaa:

ANETTE: Do you like m-me-melons? Do you like melons?

This is voiced and it's :3:

I suppose life in town goes on as it always does.

danny

danny, we're not even at the store

this is my shipping bin

Music: Whale Island Outside

But Bush is still ready for a fight, so we revisit Whale Island and head back to the towers.

Pony gets KO'd on the trip as usual, but Bush is determined to make some sort of progress today.

A bit of woodcutting happens before we take the northern path from the Tower of Birth exit (that's the entrance tower, if you don't remember).

Music: Whale Island Tower

This one is the Tower of Life.

High Orcs and Gigantes (upgraded trolls) are plenty here.

On a staircase at the bottom is a furled rope.

We interact with it and that's the shortcut!

whoops

:doh:

Let's reverse that timeline a bit and jump down the rope before we get pummeled into the wall by trolls.

Surprise! We're back in the entrance cavern at the front of the isle! This is just a bit north of the first goblin spawner.

We've got time to spare, so I go explore outside the bottom floor of the Tower of Life. It leads to a "Garden" area.

a monster garden evidently :mad:

There are two new types of Little Mage up here: Little Wizard and Little Emperor.

everything hurts

Music: Snowstyle Tavern

So, we bail.

What's up, Ganesha? We saved your kid.

GANESHA: You shouldn't be talking to an old lady like me. Get out and go hit on some younger girls!

GANESHA: You should take this opportunity since there are so many young girls in the village.

um, ok

Bush has only one person he wants to hit on, and that's Gelwein. With an axe.

Why would we do that to any of the bachelorettes? :confused:

Bartender, I require 4 grand in eggs

that is all

But if we stop by the forge, we can see a little event because we saved Marco.

Music: Business District Buildings

GANESHA: I told you not to play in the ruins, didn't I? Why won't you listen to your mother?!

MARCO: It's 'cause Candy...

GANESHA: I don't want to hear it! How could you blame a girl like that?

MARCO: I'm not trying to blame Candy...

GANESHA: Listen, Marco. You're still a child. Thank goodness Bush was around this time to help you...

GANESHA: ...but please, think about how your mother would feel if anything were to happen to you.

MARCO: ...I'm... I'm sorry, Mom...

GANESHA: Don't do it again, okay? And don't forget to thank Bush for his help.

MARCO: Okay.

Poor Marco, doesn't get to tell his side of the story. It was reckless, yes, but he had good intention. We at least have to recognize that.
(Although I won't deny things could've gone very bad given how close he was to Gelwein and the Dark Rune.)

You can't actually tell Ganesha about this, she just finds out anyways. Those long elf ears must hear a lot.

MARCO: Bro! Thanks for what you did earlier!

MARCO: I don't know what would have happened to me if you didn't come!

MARCO: I'll get stronger so I can get through this ruins without any problems.

No problem, bro. :respek:

(Ganesha has no comment on us saving Marco.)

I suppose while we're resolving the events of today, we should go ahead and give Candy's doll back to her.

CANDY: Thank you! This is a precious doll I got from Sis.

CANDY: Let me tell you a secret.

CANDY: I...love...you! ♪

whatever you say, kid

Following this, Bush goes to the town square and fishes for a long while.

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Oh, that's right! Our bath! We paid for it but never took it!

Bush walks extremely slowly and only manages to enter at 0:03 AM!

This is all to find out that Melody takes her bath this late in the day. She directly notes this is so she can have it all to herself- fair enough.

Bathhouse fact time, I suppose!

You may or may not have noticed the tradition of wearing your towel on your head (this game doesn't have it, but RF3 does). There's varying info I can find on this, but the most interesting one I can find is this.

Ancient baths used to have walls for closing in more of the steam around them, and you had to duck beneath one to enter. Since you needed to kinda crawl under with your hands, putting it on your head was the next best option. Even when the enclosing walls fell out of style, old folk kept doing it to keep their heads warm. Supposedly.

There is at least the more obvious factor in how you're just not supposed to put it in the water (more on that another time), but you don't want to lose it.

Anyways, that's all for this update. Only 1 day, I know, but it was a big plot day. I'll probably start posting faster again here soon.

Next time, we see how we'll need to move forward on this, as well as make major developments in the bachelorettes' storylines.

Catch ya then!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 20, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Still not sure what's going on with Kross, but he's an interesting fella all the same. A strong one too apparently.

We will get to learn his deal eventually, make no mistake. Perhaps we might even acquire the legendary hidden Carpentry skill :ssh:

Slaan posted:

Annette, if you're being blackmailed by Mist's Turnip Mafia give us a sign via the post. Two days with letters for us is yes, three days with letters for us is No :ohdear:

:ohdear:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I wish my culture had an 'eat tasty food while looking at the moon' festival. I just feel like a bum when I do it.

Also Gelwein, you fool, you don't know what you've done. Now you're gonna be sleepin' with the turnips.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 45: The Day of Bachelorettes

Music: Alliance Alive - Rainy Realm

That's right, it's a rainy Holiday!

I don't know exactly when we bought the seeds, but I decided to just go ahead and plant some stuff for this season even if there is an event later that may backfire on us.

It leaves us with just 5 3x3's unfilled on our farm.

Make some sashimi and other stuff to keep our energy up...

And out on the town we go! It's not like Bush has much else to do.

It also happens to be the perfect day for us to go and continue that bit of Selphy/Lara's book borrowing event.

MELODY: No one is here today so you can go in the women's bath.

MELODY: But if you pull anything funny, you'll be banned from here!

BUSH: What are you referring to?

MELODY: Tha... Just hurry it up!

Bush would never do such a thing, whatever that thing you may ber referring to is! The bath must be respected. :hai:

BUSH: (Excuse me...)

Bush, there's nobody in there.

The women's bath doesn't really look any different, although I think the pink tulips are unique to this side?

There happens to be a sparkle on the ground not too far in.

BUSH: Hey... There's a small crack here...

BUSH: ... ...

BUSH: There are so many books inside the crack! Let's see, where's the "Scriptures"...

BUSH: There it is! Let me go take it to Stella right away.

Selphy's been in here storing books under the floorboards like some sort of literary rodent :confused:

LARA: Though I am a servant of God, I am allowed to marry.

LARA: But that's only if I have someone...

-------------------------------------------------------
1. I'm sure you can find someone very nice!
2. Oh...
-------------------------------------------------------

Huh, so the nuns are allowed to marry? How about that. I guess that's something to remember for the next vote.

LARA: Um... I was just making chitchat. There's no need to look so serious.

She doesn't have to know she didn't make the 6, don't tell her, Bush.

(The first option gets a happy thanks :) )

Stella lets us into her room early, so here's a last look at the Scriptures before they're gone for good.

STELLA: This is the "Scriptures"! Thank you for finding it.

STELLA: Let me give you this to thank you for your troubles.

You got Fodder Seed

amazing reward, 10/10 quest

Anyways, Selphy, we gotta talk about this book thing. It's not-

...Cutscene?

Music: Brodik's Theme/ Tensions

*Selphy is at the front desk, deep in reading a book as Bush enters.*

*Suddenly a dark portal opens up, emitting a strange hiss!*

*She's sucked inside!*

RIP, too invested in a good romance to notice she was getting pulled into the Shadow Realm :cry:

BUSH: Selphy!

And so we're left only with an option to examine the desk.

As Bush touches it, the portal reappears and silently draws him in too, as all fades to black... :ohdear:

Music: Pinch

We awaken in a bizarre world, with psychedelic sky, warped bookshelves, and a massive book beneath our feet.

A brown bull with a blue mane stands before Bush!

BUSH: Where is Selphy?!

Bush is having none of this.

It's a boss fight! We're immediately surrounded by Buffamoo on all sides and this mystery bull- the latter is our real target.

Pony proves herself the true MVP as she somehow found a way to dive in after us.

The recommended level for this that I saw was 30, and we're about 50, but it doesn't stop this place from hurting! They're no ordinary cows and they all hit for nearly 200 damage.

But, so do we :black101:

Pony valiantly buys us enough time to get out, slam down two potions before the boss can catch us. Luckily, the Earth Wand is not only effective damage, but perfectly levels their charge and pushes it back easily.

Just a bit of earth magic spam + 1 incoming cow dodge later and the boss is down.

*We quickly fade to white...!*

Music: Sinister

(Haven't heard this in a long while.)

BUSH: Selphy! Snap out of it!

SELPHY: Ugh...

SELPHY: Where am I?!

BUSH: I don't know. Maybe we're inside the book that you were reading.

SELPHY: In the book? Awesome!

SELPHY: It was my childhood dream to go inside a book!

Yep, she's just the same as always :allears:

BUSH: Oh, really? So how do you feel about it now that it came true?

SELPHY: Hmm... There's nothing here and it's not a lot of fun. I guess I prefer to just read books.

SELPHY: Let's go home.

BUSH: Yeah, we should.

Apparently, it's just that easy to leave :shrug:

Music: Clock Tower

KANNO: Hmm, this was caused by the monster "Tapir."

BUSH: "Tapir"?

KANNO: A monster that feeds on memories.

KANNO: It transforms itself in order to capture prey, then consumes their memories when their guard is down.

I wonder why the designers chose a bull model for the Tapir. We have elephants with prehensile noses.

SELPHY: So that's how I completely forgot about a book I read!

SELPHY: What a waste of time! I could've read another book by then...

Are you kidding? This could let you read the best books like it's your first time again!

KANNO: The monster isn't that dangerous, but who knows what kind of damage it could cause.

KANNO: Let's burn it.

BUSH: I agree. It would be for the best.

SELPHY: W-wait!

I can't believe Bush would destroy literature, the source of KNOWLEDGE
(although I guess it is a book that could physically harm people)

SELPHY: You can't burn such a rare book! The god of books will be mad at you!

KANNO: But, we can't leave it as is.

KANNO: Let's see...

There's a god of books?! :monocle:

*We cut back to Selphy's place, to where she's straightening a large portrait now containing the Tapir book.*

*She adjusts it a few times and scratches her head.*

(We get a CG image!)

SELPHY: How about that?

SELPHY: Well? Is it crooked?

BUSH: It's fine.

BUSH: Your idea to put the monster to sleep by stopping time worked out really well.

SELPHY: Yeah, and we ended up not having to burn it.

SELPHY: Personally, I want to read that book a bit more.

SELPHY: Now, what I should read next...

And that's it for Selphy's storyline! I guess it explains why she was getting so forgetful about what books she had read.

Just like Melody, she's at max LP now and we'll probably only have some incidental dialogue and small events with her from now on.

If you thought the game was going to reveal as part of this that she's a runaway princess or something, nope. (She absolutely is though.)

BUSH: There's been some mystery novel that's very popular recently.

SELPHY: Oh, that... I'm actually surprised that something I did is so popular.

BUSH: So that means...

SELPHY: Yup. I'm the one that wrote it.

BUSH: That's amazing, Selphy!

SELPHY: I'm not that good!

Final results:
- Got a cool book
- Became an accomplished author
- still bad at taking care of herself

Lute, my dude!

...why are you still staring in the Coquille's window out in the rain

LUTE: Are you making any milk, Bush?

LUTE: Milk is so good! You can drink and process it, too. People who can make great milk are always very kind people.

i mean we have some cows, but he buys most of his supply tbh

Now that we have an expanded house, we can finally buy some of Lute's paintings.

We also buy a Large Refrigerator while we're here because why not? Bush's wallet is down to about 35,000G, but we can still live on that.

Let's see how the Coquilles are doing.

Another cutscene?!

BUSH: Bianca, what are you doing here?

BIANCA: Shh! Be quiet! She'll see us!

BUSH: S-sure... Sorry...

*Our view moves up the stairs to find the elf sisters arguing.*

MINERVA: Why?! Didn't you come to the human world so that you could...

MINERVA: ...bridge the gap between elves, humans, dwarves, and monsters?

TABATHA: I did, but...

MINERVA: Then why don't you come back to the nation of elves? Elves, monsters, and humans are all getting along just fine.

TABATHA: I can't. I can't go back yet. There's Miss Bianca and...

MINERVA: Him...? What about him? He's just a mere human...

MINERVA: It's the same with Bianca. They're nothing but humans. What makes them think they're so great?

*Bianca runs up the stairs!*

Music: Pinch

BIANCA: Well, SORRY for living!

TABATHA: Miss Bianca!

BIANCA: You be quiet, Tabatha. I'm your master. I don't just think I'm great. I AM great!

MINERVA: Do you even know what you're saying, human?

BIANCA: Stop calling me that!

During the growing confrontation, Bush calmly walks up the stairs.

TABATHA: Minerva! Apologize to Miss Bianca!

MINERVA: Never!

(Um, when did we start using little emotion bubbles? This hasnt happened anywhere else in the last 55 hours.)

MINERVA: My big sister is so far out of your class you shouldn't even be able to talk to her!

TABATHA: Minerva!

MINERVA: My sister... My sister is really the queen of the nation of elves!

*Bush and Bianca are both shocked to hear this. The music cuts out.*

BIANCA: What? Tabatha is a queen? Is that some kind of sick joke?

BIANCA: Don't you think so? Tabatha, you're my maid, right? There's no way you're a queen.

BIANCA: Well, say something, Tabatha! Tell me that it's a joke!

She's not going to take this well, is she?

TABATHA: It's as she said, Miss Bianca... I am the queen of elves.

TABATHA: But, I am your maid before I am queen.

So, she's not just in line for the crown, she's the actual ruling monarch? Even I didn't know that :aaaaa:

TABATHA: Bush, this may be sudden, but would you please come to the summer house...

TABATHA: ...at 9 in the morning tomorrow?

BUSH: Huh...? Why?

TABATHA: ...Please.

BUSH: ...Tomorrow at 9, right? Sure, I'll be there.

Tabatha's not even one of the chosen 6, but Oatmeal is so cheap and easy to make at this point that her hitting 9 LP just kinda happened. Whoops.

I suppose we shall see what she wants tomorrow.

We are then quietly forced out of the manor.

...We can head right back in though.

TABATHA: The rumored mystery novel was in Miss Bianca's room.

TABATHA: I am a bit interested in it so maybe I should borrow it later?

For now, life returns to normal. Selphy's book also continues to make the rounds.

We cannot find the book to read ourselves, despite how popular it's getting. :negative:

BIANCA: Some strange mystery novel has been very popular recently. How foolish.

BUSH: What kind of books do you read, Bianca?

BIANCA: All... All kinds of books!

Oh, Bianca. Forever hiding your true self. She'll open up someday.

TURNER: Bush!

BUSH: Yes, what is it?

TURNER: What do you think of my Eunice?

BUSH: Huh? Well, um...

TURNER: You have to be more decisive! You won't be able to...

TURNER: *mumble*...

BUSH: ?

Bush doesn't have to be decisive- that's what the voices in his head are for.

EUNICE: A certain mystery novel is popular among the girls in the village.

EUNICE: It's so good that I end up going to bed really late.

Selphy's novel proves to be really popular.

UZUKI: I am engrossed with this novel of crime right now...

UZUKI: I have never read about these sorts of stories so it seems most interesting...

I like the phrase "novel of crime".

UZUKI: There is a legend of a swordsman that caught a fly with his chopsticks. I tried to imitate him, but...

UZUKI: Tsubute lectured me for hours about it.

TSUBUTE: Of course I would!

Perhaps one day Uzuki will become the Chopstick Master, but it is not today :(

UZUKI: In my country, there were many people who had a marriage that was arranged even before they were born. How sad for them...

UZUKI: I-I do not have someone like that! You can rest assured.

You'll find 'em some day, Uzuki.

Anyways, we're off to the Magic Crystal mines, see you later.

MINERVA: Staying here is no fun at all.

MINERVA: Hey, Bush. Tell me something interesting.

BUSH: Huh? I can't come up with something so suddenly...

MINERVA: Jeez! Don't you even know how to entertain a girl with a story or two?

BUSH: Sorry...

He kinda forgets most of what happens anyways, so unless you want to hear about how he killed the 100th demon of the night, you'll have to give him a second.

We can in the meantime peek at the letter on her desk.

BUSH: Something's written on here. Let's see...

BUSH: ...I can't read it.

MINERVA: It's elvish. I'm so proud of myself!

I guess elvish must be hard to learn. Either that or she's happy she foiled our attempt to steal elven government secrets.

As it's rainy holiday, we'll have to find Rosetta in her room upstairs.

How's Jean doing?

BUSH: Rosetta, how was your father?

ROSETTA: He just caught a cold, but it's taking longer than normal for him to recover.

ROSETTA: He must have been overworked. That's why I decided to help out over there for a while.

ROSETTA: I can't leave my store without tending to it for too long so I'm back for today...

ROSETTA: But I the best I can do is to come back only once a week.

BUSH: I see... Please don't overwork yourself, too.

ROSETTA: Thanks... You're really kind.

This'll take a few weeks to resolve, so it'll probably be Winter before Rosetta returns for good.

ROSETTA: I got that popular mystery novel, but I'm too busy to read it.

ROSETTA: I want to read it soon!

Everyone gets to read it but us! :mad:

Since we're still going about town, let's drop by Lara again. See if anything has changed there.

BUSH: Do you still remember your dream from the other day?

LARA: Yes. You mean the one with Sister Stella falling?

BUSH: Yeah. After you told me, I spoke with Stella and she really tripped and broke a vase.

LARA: Looks like the dream came true.

Huh, what a coincidence.

LARA: Last night, I dreamt that Turner came to get some medicine for his hangover.

BUSH: Wouldn't that be interesting if that came true, too?

LARA: Haha. I guess so.

*And then they both stand here awkwardly in silence as Turner arrives offscreen.*

(This event was supposed to happen while she was sitting at her desk, not when she's cleaning the tables. Whoops!)

BUSH: Oh? Turner!

LARA: What's wrong, Turner?

TURNER: I drank way too much and now I have a headache.

TURNER: Can I have something for it?

LARA: Oh?! ...Sure, just a moment.

LARA: Here, take this. Please be careful not to drink so much in the future.

TURNER: Yeah. Thank you.

*And so he leaves, offscreen entirely.*

LARA: ... Looks like that dream came true, too.

BUSH: Strange things sure keep happening.

I'm sure this is just still all coincidence. This couldn't be leading up to anything.

...Still, wow, this update is just all bachelorette stuff isn't it? It isn't even 10:00 AM yet!

KANNO: That Selphy from the library keeps asking to borrow my books.

KANNO: I keep telling her that my books aren't for amateurs but she won't listen. She is exactly like me long ago.

The crucial difference is you never figured out literary based subsistence- otherwise you wouldn't have needed to bring Cinnamon and Candy here.

CINNAMON: Black Fish is good in autumn. You can make it into sashimi or just roast it with salt. I really like it.

Note: She doesn't like it any more than any other fish. It is good eating though.

Let's go see Anette. She's the last on the list for today, and she'll probably appreciate the visit on a rainy day like this.

MORE cutscenes?!

*We cut to a view of Marco and Candy standing near the little pond outside Mist's house.*

CANDY: Hey, Marco! Read it!

MARCO: ...is... ...at...

MARCO: I can't. It's too hard.

CANDY: Maybe I shouldn't have asked Selphy for recommendations on which books to read.

Knowing her, it's probably a 600 page romance novel, so probably not, no.

Also how old are these kids again?

...Also why are you reading out in the rain???

*Anette walks by.*

ANETTE: What are you two doing together?

CANDY: Anette!

MARCO: I borrowed a book from the library, but it's too hard!

ANETTE: Oh really? Let me take a look.

ANETTE: Let's see.

ANETTE: Eternity was in our lips and eyes, Bliss in our brows' bent; none our parts so poor; but was a race of heaven...

ANETTE: What is this? You borrowed this?

CANDY: Yeah...

CANDY: Selphy gave me this when I asked her to lend me an interesting book.

ANETTE: She only gave you what she liked...

Called it. Something tells me she forgot what an age rating was too.

ANETTE: Fine, I'll lend you one of mine.

MARCO: Really? I want to become a hero that casts magic spells!

CANDY: I want to be a magical scholar like my big sister!

ANETTE: That's great! All right. I'll help you out!

ANETTE: Come with me!

Yo, Marco's going battlemage too? Good taste, kid, good taste.

*And so they all march off back towards the house.*

Oh, hi there. Looks like the nameless girl was just standing out here watching this. We'll get back to her in a minute though. Inside the house we go!

(There's no music playing here- thanks, rain- so have this instead.)

*We cut to a CG of Anette in front of a chalkboard, hat off and books in front of her.*

ANETTE: Not like that. You have to do it just like I tell you.

MARCO: Oh, so you use that here! I never knew!

CANDY: Teach me this, too, Anette!

ANETTE: For that...

BUSH: What are you doing, Anette? Marco and Candy, too...

MARCO: Anette was teaching me stuff!

CANDY: She explains everything so nicely!

ANETTE: Haha, thanks.

ANETTE: I actually wanted to become a teacher.

ANETTE: That's why I'm not bad at teaching things.

BUSH: Oh, really?

ANETTE: Hey! You probably just thought that I don't look the part!

BUSH: Of course not!

ANETTE: Really? Whatever. I'll believe you this time.

...And that's her CG. Her storyline isn't completely over yet though. It isn't voiced like Selphy's, probably due to all the actors involved but it won't stop me from being mad Ann got cheated here.

She's getting past her depression by following her original dream, teaching kids. :3:

We'll now find her teaching Marco and Candy regularly in here. My only question is where did the whiteboard come from? Mist's house doesn't have one.

ANETTE: I read that mystery novel, too. But I'm only reading it bit by bit so I can't make good progress.

ANETTE: I can't wait to see what happens!

everyone but us :negative:

Speaking of mysteries, let's go talk to Mystery Girl.

MYSTERY GIRL: It sure is pouring. I was doing some weeding earlier but now I'm drenched.

MYSTERY GIRL: Bush, you have to be careful not to catch a cold.

MYSTERY GIRL: You'll catch a cold if you wander out in the rain.

I'd think the hood and cloak is meant to stop that, but I suppose it'll only resist water for so long.

Anyways, goodbye?

We finally take a break from all the dialogue to go do some various material collection. First up is the easy silver from Green Ruins.

Restocking the Grass Runey farm at Mist's...

BRODIK: Listen. I will definitely chase you out of here before the snow starts falling!

BRODIK: Be prepared for that!

BRODIK: Ha ha ha!

um ok

Gonna have to step on it, there's a tiny chance I finish the LP before then if the combat's not too hard.

We take a bath, so it's time for more ♨ BATH TRIVIA TIME ♨

The unique qualities of hot springs are more from their mineral content than their heat, but it's still important. Each spring is different of course, and Japanese law requires that it is at least 75 degrees Fahrenheit (or about 25 degrees Celsius).

The most notable minerals seem to be sulfur, salt, hydrogen carbonate, iron, and magnesium. It has to have a certain amount of at least one of those to be considered a natural onsen.

That is your bath fact for the day!

Workin' in the mage mines

woo, almost crit now

(nothing :geno: )

IRIS NOIRE: Me and my other self were both born on the 23th of winter.

Don't worry, you'll be maxed before then!

And so I follow up by spending time attempting to hunt Gigantes.

It's a struggle- no other way to word it.

We end up picking up 2 levels in the end, only needing 5 hours of constant, efficient grinding. It got better when I figured out the Earth Wand has a good chance of ruining these guys' days as well.

We spend that RP gained from leveling on butter.

And ruining the floorboards in our new bedroom. Of course.

We're level 52 now, and our Weapon skill is still half our Magic skill (42). Lumber is all the way up to 60 now, becoming our second highest skill.

We can also now look at that painting we bought from Lute. I don't know how he got this angle of Trampoli's beach, but he did.

Alas, it is time for Bush to sleep. Another 1 day update, but this one was right jam packed, so can you really complain?

(Note: You are allowed to complain but all complaints will not be processed. Each complaint put in the complaint box will be personally consumed with a randomly selected condiment.)

Catch ya next time!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 20, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Black Robe posted:

I wish my culture had an 'eat tasty food while looking at the moon' festival. I just feel like a bum when I do it.

Also Gelwein, you fool, you don't know what you've done. Now you're gonna be sleepin' with the turnips.

The Turnip Mafia's roots extend far- just because you' takin' it to us by pluckin' the head rutabaga it doesn't mean gardenin' business is gonna stop. We got eyes in the greens with heavy leaves- he'll be out to market soon, he jus' don't know it.

More "eat food and be chill" holidays would be nice, agreed.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The end to Selphy's storyline is oddly fitting. No mention of her past. She gets sucked into a book, time-freezes a monster book for her collection, and writes a bestselling mystery novel. A complete bibliophile.

Things are exciting in Bachelorette town. I wonder if Anette will have a change of profession in this game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Clearly our only option is to marry Selphy, otherwise we'll never get to read her novel.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

This is why it's a mystery novel people. The contents of the novel remain a mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 46: It's Yours, My Friend

Slaan posted:

This is why it's a mystery novel people. The contents of the novel remain a mystery

by the book gods, you're absolutely right

how could we have missed this

We return!

If it looks like the game's a bit... blurry, that's because it is. I had some settings wrong when recording this, but I fixed them a few in-game days later. (A mix of internal resolution not being doubled and a small innaccuracy in the OBS setup.)

I haven't recorded this game in 8 months, this was bound to happen.

Also yes, this is recent recording!

Which is why I spend 15 minutes taking stock of the situation before hitting the kitchen as usual.

Music: Rune Factory 3 - Fall

We're in for another rainy day, so here's another rainy RF3 track.

Mail!

~"Becoming Stronger" - Marco~

I think practicing diligently finally paid off.
I feel a little stronger.
I'm nothing compared to you, though, so
I better work even harder!

Bush is stronk in arm and brain, but you can be the same one day too Marco. You got this :hai:

A reminder that Bush does brush his animals every day even though he'll never see mechanical benefit from it. He cares for all of them, even Gobbie, who's never done any work at all.

Pony is forever MVP ofc

Iris Noire hasn't had a lot of new dialogue recently, in part because she shares a large number of lines with Blanche. She'll have a few lines of her own, but we won't see most of them until the postgame.

Whoa, Anette's out delivering letters again today!

BUSH: Anette, are you still doing those group studies?

ANETTE: Of course! I love kids and I love teaching them stuff, too!

BUSH: You really do look happy when you're teaching them.

ANETTE: Oh, stop. You're embarrassing me.

ANETTE: They always give back such sweet smiles when I smile at them.

ANETTE: That itself makes me so happy.

:3:

ANETTE: But, I did notice one thing.

ANETTE: Those smiles are really similar to the kind I see when people receive their mail from me.

ANETTE: I love to see children smile so I wanted to become a teacher.

ANETTE: But maybe I already attained my dream when I became a mailman.

ANETTE: Say Bush, I think I can get out there and do the job again.

1. Of course you can!
2. I don't know about that.

We know the only answer here. This is Anette's calling.

BUSH: Of course you can, Anette!

BUSH: As long as you have your passion, you can always go back, and be better than before! I'm sure of it!

ANETTE: Haha... Just because you're sure of it doesn't mean anything though...

ANETTE: But, thanks.

Anette's not actually supposed to be delivering letters today, this conversation is what would trigger it. Still, Ann's very cool, she just likes seeing people smile.

Here's the other way the conversation could go:

Alternate Universe Bush has doubts posted:

BUSH: I don't know about that.

BUSH: But, you won't know unless you actually try.

BUSH: It's better to give it your all and regret it, rather than regret it without even doing anything.

BUSH: I know it sounds like I'm lecturing you, but...

ANETTE: I understand... I'll do my best!

ANETTE: Thanks, Bush!

It works out in the end either way.

ANETTE: Kanno! You've got mail!

ANETTE: That's a really old book. Is it a magical book that Kanno is researching? Now I'm getting kind of interested.

ANETTE: No no no! It's one thing to see the back of a postcard, but it's totally another to open up the envelope!

We haven't listened to the mail dialogue in a while.

Following this, we immediately head back into the magic mines again. Gotta get those crystals. All the powder just goes to Magic Grandpa who I think nearly already has max friendship with Bush.

:aaa:

Two crystal drops in the same spawn! I didn't even cheat with savestates!

This is it, this is the day. Our luck's gotta be off the charts.

That's enough for me to leave for now, covering today and tomorrow.

Come to think of it, Tabatha had something to tell us at 9:00 AM. We're an hour late, but we should see what she wants.

*Tabatha stands in the center of the main hall. Bianca descends the stairs as Bush and Minerva walk in.*

BIANCA: Bush... What do you want? Why did you call Minerva, too?

BIANCA: If it's something silly, I'm going back to my room.

TABATHA: I had everyone come together today for this.

TABATHA: You all will bear witness to the ceremony of the crowning of the queen.

MINERVA: W-what's going on?

TABATHA: This tiara is the proof of the one who sits on the throne of the elves.

MINERVA: I didn't come here for the tiara! I want you to come back home with me!

TABATHA: I know... But, I want to stay as the maid of Miss Bianca rather than be queen.

TABATHA: The queen of elves cannot stay absent forever.

The game never goes into why Tabatha is so attached to Bianca specifically, but it's evident that they're important to each other. You can draw your own conclusions there.

That and being the ruler of Elf-Land sounds like a hassle anyways, this job probably even pays better.

Minerva just wants her sister back. :(

(There is a model for the tiara, but the game waits to use it for some reason..)

TABATHA: That is why I am entrusting the tiara to you, Minerva.

TABATHA: Take this back to the nation of elves and hand it to the elder.

TABATHA: Grandma will choose someone much more fit to be queen than me.

MINERVA: But...

TABATHA: This is the path that I have chosen, Minerva.

MINERVA: ...

Music: Festival- Hotpot

(Well, I suppose we know where we'll hear this track again.)

TABATHA: We will now conduct the ceremony...

TABATHA: The ceremony will follow the legend where the elven hero gathered all of the goddess' lost jewels.

TABATHA: Bush ...

BUSH: Y-yes!

He's been waiting here awkwardly to see exactly what he was needed for.

TABATHA: Bush,, you'll play the role of the hero and find the 5 jewels of "Friendship, Harmony, Love, Nature and Life."

TABATHA: I've hidden them in the village. Find them and bring them to me.

BUSH: Right. So I just have to find those 5 stones that you've hidden somewhere...

TABATHA: Thank you.

*And so off she goes to hide those jewels.*

MINERVA: Well aren't you happy? My sister is going to stay as your maid.

BIANCA: Tabatha...

I'm sure happiness is in there somewhere, but Bianca seems like she's dealing with a big mix of emotions right now.

*After a fade-out, Tabatha comes back.*

TABATHA: Thank you. We will now begin the ceremony for the ascension to the elven throne.

TABATHA: Bush, if you will please...

And so ends the cutscene.

TABATHA: These are the 5 jewels which the goddess had lost and were rediscovered by the hero.

TABATHA: When these jewels come together, they are presented to the new owner that will become the new queen.

TABATHA: This is the ceremony of the ascension to the elven throne.

Tabatha explains what we need to do again. It seems like this ceremony is really prone to interference, I guess it's a good thing Elf-Land is chill.

MINERVA: She chose this herself, so I'll support you.

MINERVA: If this is what makes her happy, Bush, please find those jewels.

Minerva's calmed down a bit, it seems.

BIANCA: Tabatha... You did this...for me...?

Bianca is still understandably in shock. The person she's always regarded as her personal servant but also her closest thing to a friend was in fact a queen. And she'd give up that position just to stay here.

EUNICE: I like my work at the inn, but it's bad how we never have a day off.

EUNICE: It's the same with the fields, isn't it? Let's both work hard.

Nobody tell Eunice that we just have monsters trained to do all the work for us now.

At least you get holidays off? :smith:

LARA: Bush, I had another dream.

BUSH: What kind of dream?

LARA: There was something shining that falls down in front of the mail box at the church.

LARA: Just thinking about how that will come true scares me...

BUSH: It's just a coincidence. It's not possible for so many dreams to come true consecutively.

LARA: I hope so...

Meanwhile, Lara is terrified of becoming a prophet/oracle. Does this have some precedent in the indistinct Noradian religion?

Being able to see the future is kind of a double-edged sword to begin with- you see all the good and the bad.

I'm sure it's all just coincidence though.

Here, I'll prove it. Nothing at the mailb-

BUSH: Hey... Something's on the ground... It's a wallet.

*cha-ching*

BUSH: It's just like the dream.

BUSH: I better keep this a secret from Lara...

...Okay, we are edging out of coincidence territory. Still, I don't know how much hiding it from Lara helps. Doesn't she deserve to know?

I guess she is a bit stressed out by it right now, but still.

Also:

Flashback to Update 7 posted:

ANETTE: Whoops. I almost dropped my wallet.

She never actually loses it as far as I know, so no returning it for those LP gains.

...Huh, how about that?

LARA: Selphy is hopeless...

LARA: She really needs to fix that irresponsible personality of hers.

It's fine, she's just moved beyond the material realm through literary asceticism.

....But I won't deny the book hoarding is a bit concerning.

BUSH: What are you doing in a place like this, Selphy?

SELPHY: You sound like this is a terrible place.

SELPHY: But I guess I don't really fit here.

SELPHY: Well, I couldn't pay back the money I borrowed from Lara...

SELPHY: So, I ended up having to work here for it. I'm pathetic, aren't I?

BUSH: I don't think so at all. Working to repay your debts is a wonderful thing.

SELPHY: Really? Haha... Thanks.

As it turns out, she's not that far away. I'd say this is already a pretty responsible thing to be doing.

I forget exactly what it was she did. Lara just lent her a bit of cash, right?

As I drop by Cinnamon to gift magic crystals, there's an odd sparkle on the ground next to her.

Hey, Cinnamon, did you drop some magic glitter or something?

Oh, wow, it's a blue rupee!

Or rather, it's the Harmony Gem for the tiara, but it looks a lot like a rupee.

If we head to the back corner of the bar, we get the Charity Gem, which looks a lot like a red rupee.

I can't believe Elf-Land is just Hyrule.

The Nature Gem is down in Erik's kitchen. For some reason.

The Life Gem is in Mist's room. That makes 4, but the other... doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Hey, Anette, got any ideas?

BUSH: What's wrong, Anette? You look down.

ANETTE: Well, I lost my wallet...

ANETTE: I've been looking, but no luck. I wonder if someone picked it up.

1. Is this what you lost?
2. That's too bad.

Ah, it would figure that Anette's wallet would be the one by the mailbox. Bush would never steal, of course.

BUSH: Is this what you lost, Anette?

ANETTE: That's it! Thanks, Bush!

ANETTE: Hey, that's my wallet! I love you!

More localization oddities. Maybe she really just loves her wallet?

Still, life has really been mean to Anette recently. :smith:

Here's the other option, for those who want it:

Bush the filthy THIEF posted:

BUSH: That's too bad.

I
ANETTE: know! I'm low on money this month already and now I lost my wallet.

ANETTE: When it rains, it pours.

It has been raining a lot recently, can't deny.

As we search for the other gem, it's time to get on with the rest of our day. Hitting the silver vein in Green Ruins is going to become a staple of our routine for a few days, although we don't really need silver all that much.

I just thought we might need it at the time :shrug:

And while those Magic Crystals earlier weren't manipulated, these sure are. Might as well take out the rest of the day to never have to do this again.

(...yes i know this is the third time i've made this joke, whoops :shobon: )

Music: Lava Ruins Gift Mine

Well, I been working in a gift mine
Going down, down
Working in a gift mine
Whew, about to pass out

Nine o'clock in the evenin'
I'm just getting powder
When my work day is over
I'm too tired for farmin' crops

Well, I been tired but I been
Working in a gift mine
Going down, down
Working in a gift mine
Whew, about to pass out

Axe, I am so tired-
How long can this go on?

Well, I been working in a gift mine
Swingin' down, down
Working in a gift mine
Whew, I'm off to a bath now

(*Brief psychedelic intermission of purchasing mass amounts of flour eggs and milk*)

Working

Going

Working

Whew, one's gotta drop now!

(As it so turns out, the higher tier anime super flying frontflip axe special attack can grind these Blazes really easily. Bush can stand in between them where they spawn and trigger it at the right moment to catch them both when they start casting- they seem to take more damage when that happens. This reliably one-shots both of them.)

Working, going, working
Whew, about to drop down

A- working,

Going,

A- working...

Whew, that's the last now!

That puts us at 10 Magic Crystals. We won't even need all of them, but it's also an agitatingly common crafting material at our skill level, so they won't go to waste.

Never did find Tabatha's other rupee. I hope she won't be too cross with us :ohdear:

With a long day of work done, Bush is bushed and bushes down for the night.

*KNOCK KNOCK*

We wake up in the morning to someone knocking on our door! It better not be that miscreant, Brodink!

Music: Rune Factory 2 - Fall

(It's also still raining :sweatdrop: )

BUSH: Who is it?

*So he asks, before just walking outside and opening the door himself.*

ANETTE: Morning!

BUSH: Oh, Anette... What are you doing up so early?

ANETTE: Early? What are you talking about? I always deliver mail at this time!

BUSH: Mail...? Hey!

BUSH: Anette, you went back to being a mailman again?

(ignore yesterday)

ANETTE: Yup. My vacation ended yesterday. Starting today, I do mail in the morning and teach during the day.

ANETTE: I want to do everything I want to do.

That's all we can ask for in life, really. Good for you, Anette!

ANETTE: Oh, I almost forgot.

*She reaches in her bag and hands Bush a letter.*

ANETTE: You have a letter. See you later.

And off she goes.

BUSH: Anette seems like she's back to her cheerful self.

BUSH: Oh right. I got some mail. Let's see...

"Thanks for cheering me up."

"I'll be staying at Mist's place from now on."

"I hope we'll get along, neighbor."

BUSH: ...

BUSH: Time to get back to work.

And so it ends and begins again, just how it first began. A knock on our door early in the morning and a letter from Anette. :3:

And so truly ends Anette's storyline. She'll now be chilling around town or teaching the kids every day from now on, living her best life.

~"Thing's I'm into lately." - Anette~

Recently, I've begun singing
while on my delivery route.
It just feels nice, you know?
I think it helps me deliver faster, too.

A WORKIN' IN THE GIFT MINE, GOIN' DOWN-

*cough*

Seriously, it does help a lot for any kind of work- at least for me. Heck, a large portion of sea shanties and even folk songs exist for that reason.

We also get a full letter form of the letter Anette gave us just before she left. :)

That is Anette, maxed out completely. We never did learn why monsters like chasing her.

chores

KANNO: It's cool and comfortable. Yam mont blanc should be really good in this season.

I had to look up mont blanc because I assumed it was a cake. Outside expert Raitzeno tells us that it's actually a vermicelli pasta made of chestnut puree with cream on top, named thus after the white capped mountain Mont Blanc.

The name's pretty guessable at least.

Still, the thing Eunice likes looks far more like a cake, so I don't know anymore when it comes to this world.

KANNO: The magic that sealed the Tapir works in increments of centuries.

KANNO: You should be fine for now. After about 100 years, I'll come back to seal it again! Hahaha.

Magic Grandpa casually reveals he is immortal :aaaaa:

RUNEYS

Pretty sure nobody cares, but I am still keeping this failing environment alive. I won't fuss you with the details, as I've been basically half ignoring it for now anyways. I've got enough to keep it alive until Winter starts.

At least until I never need to grow anything ever again.

LARA: Bush ...

BUSH: What is it? Is something bothering you?

LARA: Yes. I dream a lot about sunny days recently.

LARA: And all those dreams always come true so it is starting to get a little creepy...

BUSH: Is that so...? I wish I could do something for you...

LARA: It's all right. I feel much better just getting that off my chest.

LARA: Sorry for getting you all worked up.

BUSH: It's all right. Please tell me if there's anything I can do.

Don't worry, Lara, I think Candy overdid it with that Rainy Week request. We won't be seeing the sun for a long while it seems...

LARA: Selphy ended up working at the church.

LARA: I just hope this will straighten out her crooked personality a bit...

"Crooked" might be a bit far for Selphy.

...Then again, she does just kinda sell books she doesn't actually own, so er...

It's for the good of a healthy library?

See, she even cleaned it today! It'll be in shambles tomorrow, but still!

GANESHA: I never have enough ore. If...just IF you have any extra, do you mind giving some to me?

GANESHA: If you also have any extra "Demon Blood," I'd appreciate it if you shared it with me.

Wait wait wait wait, you take Demon Blood?

Lady, do I have a worryingly large amount of that in my box at home for you, free of charge!

(it's only like 3 vials, but we're about to have more)

TURNER: I heard Uzuki and Tsubute arguing for the first time in a while.

TURNER: It feels like something is missing unless I hear that.

TURNER: Wait, make sure you don't tell that to Uzuki!

Any two people will have a disagreement every once in a while, but I don't think it's a good thing their arguments are what you know them for...

UZUKI: It seems that you have started smithery, Bush. I have high hopes for you.

We won't really need to improve it much further. Just the next tier of axes should be good enough for us.

EUNICE: Bush, we're always enjoying the vegetables you grow.

If this is your subtle hint to get me to start farming again, don't worry, I have.

My job's just planting the seeds, mostly. I let the rain do the rest.

With enough of the morning spent, it's off to go give those rupees to Tabatha.

She always says there's only 1 left after every one. Ah, this translation...

Nothing will happen today with this, as we still have to find that last one. Where could it be?

Off to go ask more people, I suppose.

KROSS: Working for myself or a loved one all day, then sleep like a log...

KROSS: Don't you think that is wonderful?

Yeah, man.

I wish I could sleep like a log

STELLA: Are you expressing thanks for your life and the people around you?

STELLA: Act with humility and it will all come back to you.

Stella has good life advice, but no hint on where this darn last rupee is.

It's around this point I start looking into some armor upgrades for Bush. The red hat and cap ensemble rocks already, yeah, but stat-wise it's falling behind a bit already.

If we're gonna punch Gelwein in the teeth, we're gonna need to be strapped to the nines, probably.

There's 3 upgrades I'm looking to get before we finally face him: a Fluffy Hat, the Critical 7, and a Wristwatch.

The first is the only one we can get right now.

One trip to Lara later, and I've got 2 Toy Herbs. I use the first to make a Poison Ring. This is purely for skill- we'll never really need this. Seal Ring is so much better.

Next is the Fluffy Hat. It's a 15 MAG increase, but also +50 DEF at the cost of some fire resistance negated by our cape.

It's a hat that looks like a wooly head, ears and face too. It looks kinda goofy, but also really suits Bush for some reason.

It should also be quite warm, which is good as...

Into Snow Ruins we go! The things we need for the other two desired accessories will have to come from here. There is over half this dungeon we haven't seen yet, mostly due to how it's locked off until we hit this point the Gelwein plot.

Breaking the cable in the room we enter by the ladder de-ices a ramp that we need to progress forward with.

Then take the warp back to the start as the minotaur is still annoyingly frozen in front of our way out...

Then take the shortcut back down to floor 3. To the north in this hallway is right back to the Gelwein room. If we keep going right...

There's a room with a ramp we can now access!

Also a treasure chest. It's always carrying gems or Para-cures.

A long north-south hallway follows. To the north leads further down, but we should check the south first.

There's also the upgraded Elefun here, Mamoo.

More Mamoo and Demons...

And as we get into the southern room, a LOT more Mamoo!

Smash the cable to open up the path past the frozen Minotaur King and off we go!

(There's a Unico dog spawn in the lower left too.)

This takes us to a hidden farming room with two treasure chests. These have a very high chance of dropping Gold, a material we'll want a good amount of soon. We can even get Platinum here, if lucky.

These also respawn after each entry and exit of the dungeon, so you can grind these boxes and all the other ones in the lower floors instead of actually mining for ore.

We finish grabbing the wood out of here and bail to get our bath.

♨ BATH TRIVIA TIME ♨

(reminder: i am no expert on this)

Traditionally, the eastern hot spring has something you'd bathe entirely nude in. Publicly. That'd be a bit much for most games' ratings (and this LP), and in the modern age, it's something being shifted away from. Most cultures already left their public bathing practices in the past as is.

From what I can find, it mostly just stems from cleanliness. Your clothes are going to carry some amount of funk with them, and there's frequent statements that it makes it harder to clean the bath overall although I can find little information on how exactly. Lint buildup? Heck, I can find little info on the concept of bath additives- what I do find claims they're rare because they're also hard to clean up after.

Anyways, there's arguments of community building and self-confidence involved too as reasons for it sticking around traditionally. No idea if that's actually true or not, mostly up to you, I suppose.

Anyways, I suppose next time we talk more cleanliness stuff.

We return to those ever cold ruins and enter the 4th floor. The dungeon was already confusing before, but now it just gets worse. So, so much worse.

I'll try to explain it, but I won't lie, I'm looking at a map.

There's a path left that inevitably curves around to the north. It'd be a shortcut if I had a higher level hammer. I don't end up getting that hammer until after finishing this so it's meaningless. We go south and down a ramp to the west.

There's a path west and south. We go south.

Pony is immediately comboed and defeated by Hunter Wolves, her recolor. :stare:

The ramp right runs up to a t-section- we destroy the two cables and progress south.

ow

ok then I warp time to be back in the same position with Pony still here.

o7

she got us this far again at least

To the right is just the spawners for these evil cows, to the left is where we want to go.

Those cables unfroze this Mini-Dragon from it's place blocking the door. It's the first time we see these guys, and they're pretty signature endgame enemies for early Rune Factory entries. Given how all the other plots revolve around true dragons, it's not surprising.

That door leads us to a hallway with a cannon. There's some farmland off to the left, but we don't need to go there.

Notably, Pony can't slide past the cannon like we can, so she wasn't getting much farther anyways without finding the right cable to break. No idea where it is.

Another t-section. Break a cable to the left...

Break this one too and continue up this unnecessarily looping around walkway.

Avoid bad ponies and go in door.

Be presented with a long path for panthers to snipe you on.

Here are Blood Panthers. I hate the normal ones enough, thank you!

Do this long up and down zig zag, ending with running up past the evil cow spawn gate.

Take the hallway to find more farmland, and...

The staircase, eventually. If we had the Golden Hammer, we could've skipped all that. :sigh:

I'm just trying to get a shortcut so I don't have to do it again.

Floor 5!

It's also a nightmare.

You can go left or up and north. Left just leads to a single chest, some mining rocks and a lot of enemies.

At least I got more quality fur for my trouble. As it turns out, the Fire Rod also super destroys the Hunter Wolves just like it does the normal ones.

The chest just gave me a crummy second tier Energy Drink :mad:

The correct path meanders a bunch and is plastered in more bad ponies, until you run past an iced door.

We don't care about it (a single ore/gem chest is all that's there), go south and up and around a really long pathway. (There's another Para-cure/gem box here too.)

This leads to a room with ice blocking the way, destroyed with fire, plus a Hunter Wolf + Minotaur King spawn.

And that's as far as we get before I have to bail on time. 1 more hour and I could've made it to a shortcut.

That's just how the ice crumbles, I suppose.

Bush is off to sleep. Now that our route is scouted, Snow Ruins stands no chance.

We will reach it's bottom floor.

Look forward to that... next time!

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 20, 2023