Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ReelBigLizard posted:

My Polish friend once half jokingly asked me if I'd come with her back home for her brother's wedding because her family kept harassing her about not having a boyfriend (she was asexual and we were just good dinner buddies).

I still regret not going and living a polish romcom for the weekend but I think polish wedding drinking would have killed me.

My sister in law did this for a close gay friend's dying grandma. The whole family was in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Mega Comrade posted:

My sister in law did this for a close gay friend's dying grandma. The whole family was in on it.

Amazing. I hope she dines out on that story.

I'd have done it if I had any paid leave left that year.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Oh she definitely brings it up when she needs a favour from said friend

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeh that's kinda one you can call in forever

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

As another trans person, apology accepted.

In all loving seriousness, like, i didn't say the initial thing in bad faith at all, i genuinely think that all people regardless of cis or trans deserve to be called the name they want to be called, i don't think that's unreasonable, and i hate when people think my genuine beliefs are some kind of bad faith gotcha bullshit

Edit: if this earns a probe that's fine, i hate being misrepresented or misnderstood enough to eat the probe for being such a awkward weirdo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Trust me friend, the problem was never with you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

teen witch posted:

Did some people grow up without learning what the word “no” means? Good god lady, get a loving clue

E:

Christ lady are you incapable of doing things for your kids? Or does it need to take away from someone else to make it worth doing?

I got that mixed up a bit with the beforementioned people who will do literally anything to avoid saying 'no' and drat the consequences but the people who don't recognise it are probably a big part of the problem there

InediblePenguin posted:

In all loving seriousness, like, i didn't say the initial thing in bad faith at all, i genuinely think that all people regardless of cis or trans deserve to be called the name they want to be called, i don't think that's unreasonable, and i hate when people think my genuine beliefs are some kind of bad faith gotcha bullshit

Edit: if this earns a probe that's fine, i hate being misrepresented or misnderstood enough to eat the probe for being such a awkward weirdo

I get the feeling it's like, as well as the very specific reasons it's incredibly lovely to do to trans people and should be punished, it's also just a generally lovely thing to do to anyone regardless of circumstance. And you very much notice the same kind of lovely people have the same kind of tone when they do it. They know what they're doing.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Jesus Joseph and Mary Poppins let it die. ascii was a jackass who was buttmad that they didn't get to call someone a nickname and the person wasn't sufficiently :decorum: in their response. The thread called them out on their assholery. This should not have escalated this far.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Please stop arguing about Michaels. As a canadian I have a lot of feelings about Michaels.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Some people still deserved to be heard. But now it’s finished. Any more talk of the whole name thing gets a Saturday Sixer, regardless of how right you are. And that includes me.

EDIT: Finally found a place in my neighborhood with French toast bagels. Just wanted to share my joy with you all.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 4, 2023

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Please stop arguing about Michaels. As a canadian I have a lot of feelings about Michaels.

AITA Accidentally cut in line at Michaels, couple freaked out at me

quote:

Today I went to Michaels to pick up a couple of gifts. When I was going to check out, I hopped in line as one does, just three people ahead of me. I was standing there for a couple of minutes texting my partner back, and I know it was a couple minutes since afterwards I double-checked the time between texts.

Anyway as the line gets closer, this older couple shoves right up to me, barreling past. It totally caught me off guard as well as the people that had been in front of me. When I got in line, this couple had been off to the side about 10ft away, looking at items on the wall. Had they been closer, I would normally double-check to make sure if they were in line.

They both are angry and say “Did you cut us??” “We were here, why would you do that??” and were super offended. I was totally shocked as I had been there for a while and am not someone who would intentionally do that.

I said politely “Oh, I’m sorry, I saw you over in the corner looking at things and had assumed you weren’t in line.” Thinking that was the end of it and oh well my mistake I guess, they were back in their spot.

But they carry on being angry at me, basically not letting it go and acting as if I had intentionally tried to sabotage their line presence. I couldn’t help myself asked the man, “Why are you making this so weird??” when he carried on. Oh this pissed him off. I then just ignored him and he kept turning around to say poo poo to me, and at this point another couple came up behind me in line. The older couple finally got to the next open register with the man turning around and saying more things to me about cutting, and the couple behind me and I exchanged looks, saying “what the gently caress?”

Basically, I have anxiety and this exchange is still really bothering me. I was raised pretty strictly to be very polite, and I didn’t mean to be an rear end in a top hat. Their reaction makes me feel like I really wronged them somehow? It’s bothering me.

TLDR; older couple that had been ~10ft away when I joined 3-people line and had been there for a couple of minutes came up very angry and accusing me of cutting. I apologized and said I had thought they had been looking at stuff, sorry. They would not let it go, I then asked them why they were making it so weird, ignored them.

E: if you’re going to ding me for this you should queue it up to start in, eh, twelve hours or so, I’m about to play a game for a few hours and then it’s bedtime so I wouldn’t notice a sixer

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 4, 2023

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for ruining my stepdaughter's surprise because my kids weren't included

I am mostly against this woman, but if they rented an entire theater surely two kids wouldn't matter that much.

Unless they have seriously bad vibes, or are unpleasant to be around.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I am mostly against this woman, but if they rented an entire theater surely two kids wouldn't matter that much.

Unless they have seriously bad vibes, or are unpleasant to be around.

You're not wrong but it's one of those things where the energy is going to pick up because there's also Escape Rooms, Go Karts, like a whole laundry list of things. At some point the kids are going to have to get cut out and it's going to hurt their feelings. Better to just lay down the line nice and early and say "We'll do something special with just us some other time. This night is just for her and her friends."

It's not ideal but it never is in these situations. On-balance, it actually is a situation where the family has to take a step back and go "well thank god this is the problem we have instead of figuring out how to add 24/7 caregiving to their older stepsibling's life, or what outfits the kids have to wear to her funeral."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my son he is spoiling his daughter?

quote:

English is not my first language

My son has a 10 years old daughter. A while ago they were doing some repairs at home and had to stay with us for a few weeks.

I noticed that every day he will pack lunch for her and not just that, he will also make different shapes and faces with the food. It takes up a lot of his time.

If she was 5 this would be understandable but she is 10, she should be packing her own lunch.

After a few days I decided to talk to him and told him I think he is spoiling her and should let her pack her own lunch. He got angry and called me an rear end in a top hat and basically implied that it's none of my business

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

You're not wrong but it's one of those things where the energy is going to pick up because there's also Escape Rooms, Go Karts, like a whole laundry list of things. At some point the kids are going to have to get cut out and it's going to hurt their feelings. Better to just lay down the line nice and early and say "We'll do something special with just us some other time. This night is just for her and her friends."

It's not ideal but it never is in these situations. On-balance, it actually is a situation where the family has to take a step back and go "well thank god this is the problem we have instead of figuring out how to add 24/7 caregiving to their older stepsibling's life, or what outfits the kids have to wear to her funeral."

Sure, but why does Logan get to go to the theater and a couple activities then? Lola is the same age. OP has a point; the only justification offered is that 'they're closer'. The invites are unfair to her kids. There is a vibe that her kids are the step family and not the real family, and if there was any counterbalance offered she doesn't mention it.

OP handled it poorly, which is why she's getting dumped on, but idk what I would do in the same situation. It's not great.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Take the kids for their own special thing, girl is allowed to just hang with their bio sis should she want to do so.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah like, this isn't that hard. Stepfamilies have those weird moments like that, but it's pretty easy to work through unless you're an absolute pissbaby like OP.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the only justification offered is that 'they're closer'.

Is that not enough?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my son he is spoiling his daughter?

Acts of kindness that show love towards your offspring?! Not in my household!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Elise is not the one planning the party or invites list, mind.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AITA for trying to get my friend to see how his girlfriends job is more important than him

quote:

I (23F) have been friends with kai(26m) since we started working together a year ago. He has a girlfriend (27f) and they’ve been together since they were teenagers. we both work as hairdressers so we’ve gotten really close.

His girlfriend spends most of the year at sea working, she works for six months straight and then comes back for a few months. I’ve always been worried for him as soon as he mentioned her job since she can’t be there for him if he needs support.

I was interested in her work life since her career is unique so I asked kai what she does, she works as a deckhand but all of her coworkers are mainly men. I thought this was weird and told him that, he just laughed it off saying how those men are family to her.

It just seemed so weird to me to live with other men while her own boyfriend was stuck at home without her. I’ve expressed concern to him but he always just brushes it off saying how they’ve even had dinners with those men and their families.

I tried to tell him how she prefers working then being with him, he just won’t listen to me saying things like that’s what they agreed on since day one.

She recently came home so I went over to visit them, Kai had gone to the bathroom , I brought it up telling her that her career was above her own boyfriend, she laughed at me saying how she will always prioritise her career and that he knows it. I tried to just tell her she should be there for him more often instead of leaving with other men for six months and how Kai wouldn’t put up with her career forever. She just had this look on her face and told me that he won’t be leaving anytime soon since she bought their house in cash after “only” 4 years of working. Kai then came back and she told him everything I said, he told me to leave, I tried to explain myself but he shut the door on me.

I’ve tried contacting him since then, he hasn’t even showed up for work so I was worried. He just texted me back saying he left work and how his girlfriend is now converting their spare room into his own salon. I tried to explain myself but I was blocked. I just want my friend back.

Why doesn't he understand I'd be so much better for him!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lmao at OP quoting "only" as though lots of people are able to buy a whole fuckin' house in full after 4 years of working

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for trying to get my friend to see how his girlfriends job is more important than him

Why doesn't he understand I'd be so much better for him!

I almost missed it but this is a 1 year on coworker OP stepping into what is a decade plus relationship situation wtf did she expect would happen?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

I almost missed it but this is a 1 year on coworker OP stepping into what is a decade plus relationship situation wtf did she expect would happen?

according to every music vid and romcom ever, he'd see she was the right one for him and leave the career-driven totally cheating on him sea witch.

AITA for kicking my sister out after she refused to babysit my son?

quote:

I (f30) live with my husband (m31) ans our son (m5), my sister (f22) is still in college and has to move out with us three months ago because she had some issues with her roommates. Things were going fine until this argument, also she doesn't work but my parents send her some money for textbooks and groceries although she barely ever has contributed to the household since she moved in with us. We also live in a different state from our parents and family so I'm basically throwing her in the streets by kicking her out which would make me a big rear end in a top hat.

So, my son comes back from school at around 3pm/3:30. My husband works until 6 and I work until 5 although sometimes I have to stay an hour or two extra (this is not normal, maybe three or four times per month when we're behind in a project). We had a babysitter that would wait until he's back (he comes back home via the school bus) and would stay with him until me or my husband come back from work. However she recently discovered she's sick and told us that she can't continue working as she has to go though treatment, we thanked her for telling us and wished she would get better soon.

I asked my sister to babysit our son until we can get a new babysitter giving that she doesn't have classes at that time. She told me she never agreed to babysit when she moved in here and that I should've told her beforehand so she could find somewhere else to live. I told her that I knew this wasn't out agreement but this was something exceptional since our babysitter has medical issues, it's not neither of our fault and she would prefer a 100 times to not be in this situation. She still told me she can't babysit because sometimes she has to go to the library or to study with friends and babysitting would limit her hours of studying. I got angry, maybe too angry, so I told her that we never ask anything from her, we helped her because we wanted to be kind with her, and yet she can't even compromise to stay a few hours home just until we find a new babysitter. I ended up telling her she has a week to leave because we will not be providing food or a roof to a bitch like her. One of my son's friend's mom is taking care of my son now, they go back to her home together and I pick him up later.

My sister tried to apologize but I told her I don't want to live with her because she showed me her true colors. She also have told our family and a lot of them are giving me poo poo for leaving my sister homeless. My husband, my in laws and friends support me but it feels hash if my family isn't on my side, makes me think I'm an rear end in a top hat to be honest.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

AITA for refusing to change the name of my character on a role-playing game to make my friend more comfortable?

quote:

I love playing role-playing games, I think it's a really fun thing to do. I often only play one game and I love my character on it.

Everyone on the server knows me by that name so it's special to me.

I have a friend that I made at University since the start of the year. He is a nice person who I really enjoy hanging out with . He has the same name as my character.

Yesterday, I talked to him about the game and my character, he told me he also likes this type of game so I thought it might interest him.

After I told him my character's name and he immediately looked uncomfortable. He told me that the thought of me "playing with him" and making what I wanted with his name made him uncomfortable.

I told him that I understand but my character is special to me and a lot of people know me on the server by that name and that I don't have an in-game reason to have my character change his name. So I told him no.

He insisted, telling me that it was disgusting that I use his name when I have a friend that has the exact same name. (I played this game long before I met him.)

We changed the topic but he seems really cold to me now. He sent me a message saying " I hope playing a game was worth our friendship. I can't believe you're so selfish. "

I know it's petty, and that I'm fairly sure I'm the rear end in a top hat here. I could've just changed it, it's just a game.

AITA?

EDIT : The name is Pnurtis since you all want to know

ok I lied it's Simon

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
To be fair Pnurtis would be a rad name for a little gremlin rear end dude of some sort in a fantasy game.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

That is not an accident - that are people being dicks. If you want to get something else you get out of line and go to the back when you return. If you are with a spouse they can run and go get something while you are waiting in line and it takes no extra time. Standing 10ft away does not give you a right to your spot in line because you are NOT in line.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Cowslips Warren posted:

according to every music vid and romcom ever, he'd see she was the right one for him and leave the career-driven totally cheating on him sea witch.

AITA for kicking my sister out after she refused to babysit my son?

I don't know if I would have immediately kicked her to the curb, depending on how she is otherwise, but the sister really hosed up her free ride on this one.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I don't know if I would have immediately kicked her to the curb, depending on how she is otherwise, but the sister really hosed up her free ride on this one.

The “cleaner” way to do it would have to start charging her market rent. Same result probably, but since she seems to be worried about perception that puts it back on the sister. Don’t babysit and pay rent, or babysit and don’t pay rent. There isn’t a third option.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
If OP expected her to babysit for weeks/months, I might side with the sister, but OP says they've already set up interviews for a new sitter and it would have only been for 2 or 3 days. I do think they should give her more than a week to get out though.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pirate Radar posted:

E: if you’re going to ding me for this you should queue it up to start in, eh, twelve hours or so, I’m about to play a game for a few hours and then it’s bedtime so I wouldn’t notice a sixer

A couple of months ago some dude behind me in the checkout line at the grocery store completely lost his poo poo because the customers behind him moved into a newly opened lane and he felt like they stole it from him. He was next in line after me but he just would not stop ranting to himself about it and hollering poo poo at the people. It was so loving weird. People are insane about this crap.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for exposing my sister’s sexual history to her newlywed husband and his conservative family?

quote:

Yeah I’m aware this title sounds extremely weird and gross but please bear with me. Also throwaway account because I don’t want my family to find this post.

My (M22) oldest sister Emma (F28 & not real name) got married last week to Mike (M31 & also not real name). Mike and I have a great relationship, as he has helped me with my studies since I met him back when I was 18. He is an engineer and I study the same program as he has in the same university. Despite having known him for 3 years I’ve grown to basically consider him as a brother I never had.

Given my love for Mike I hope this clears out any type of speculation that I did this out of spite of him.

Emma and I have not had a good relationship at any point in our lives. She has tormented me heavily during my early childhood, but the real issue was all her past boyfriends and any type of relationship adjacent to that. She would always sneak boys into the house and would force my other sister Jenna (25F & once again not real name) and I to cover for her.

I should also mention Mike and Emma only entered a relationship a year ago; when I first met Mike he was just a dude who was friendzoned.

Fast forward to the actual event being Mike and Emma’s wedding. Jenna and I sit beside a cousin we were both close with in our teenage years and haven’t seen in years. Our cousin kept asking us about some of her ex-boyfriends in a mocking way. This sparked up a huge conversation full of stories Jenna and I had on Emma’s many hookups.

Our cousin tells us to go outside with her as she needs a cigarette, so we continue our conversation there. Unfortunately, Mike also likes to smoke and overheard some of the stories, and we wouldn’t find out until later but Mike’s mother had also overheard Jenna telling the story of Emma’s pregnancy scare when she was 19 and how she told our father that it was Jenna’s pregnancy test in the bathroom bin.

Word spread quickly around Mike’s family, and a lot of his family including some of his siblings and his father have warned Mike to get an annulment. Emma is extremely furious at Jenna and I for slut-shaming, and is telling us that we knew Mike’s family was conservative so we screwed up everything by speaking of it aloud with the family present.

Mike is angry at me for not telling him about Emma’s history before. Jenna does not take any of this seriously which is understandable, but I have a close relationship with Mike and I would hate to lose it because of this. I have asked Mike if he wants to annul his marriage and he did not give me an answer. AITA?

EDIT: people have an issue with me using the term friendzone. English is not my native tongue so I misused the term. Sorry for the confusion. Mike and Emma were just friends for a couple of years.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Midnight Voyager posted:

My cat kinda seems to know I'm talking to her no matter what I call her. If she decides to come over to me, that's up to her, but she does it with full eye contact.

I have a cat whose mouth I sometimes have to cover if he is near my echo dot, cause he talks over me when I’m trying to set the alarm. “Alexa, set alMEOW a.m.”. He believes we are having a conversation, you see. Petting him doesn’t work, because petting is all well and good, but we still have not finished our conversation.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 5, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

A couple of months ago some dude behind me in the checkout line at the grocery store completely lost his poo poo because the customers behind him moved into a newly opened lane and he felt like they stole it from him. He was next in line after me but he just would not stop ranting to himself about it and hollering poo poo at the people. It was so loving weird. People are insane about this crap.

I've seen the same thing happen a lot in grocery stores and such: new line opens, people shuffle over... except they then wave people who where ahead of them in line to go first, with a bit of a polite argument about "It's ok, I'm fine waiting here". Since we're not savages.

edit: The people in that story are crazy however. You don't mystically have an astral presence in a line if you never actually queue in it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 4, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Bored posted:

I have a cat I whose mouth I sometimes have to cover if he is near my echo dot, cause he talks over me when I’m trying to set the alarm. “Alexa, set alMEOW a.m.”. He believes we are having a conversation, you see. Petting him doesn’t work, because petting is all well and good, but we still have not finished our conversation.

Is the cat named Alex, perhaps?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Bored posted:

I have a cat I whose mouth I sometimes have to cover if he is near my echo dot, cause he talks over me when I’m trying to set the alarm. “Alexa, set alMEOW a.m.”. He believes we are having a conversation, you see. Petting him doesn’t work, because petting is all well and good, but we still have not finished our conversation.

My cat discovered the pulsing light pattern that plays with music on top of my HomePod the other day. So she bats it and pauses the music. I resume it, she stops it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My cat learned how to turn off my CPAP machine. That was really annoying to untrain.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

I have done this and posted in AITA on the subject because I got caught out; called a horrible person by an aunt, didn't give a gently caress and just wanted some drat validation after the fact but I basically knew that my aunt was a horrific, terrible, no good person who would literally let a person die before she would allow her world view to be spoiled.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bruceski posted:

My cat learned how to turn off my CPAP machine. That was really annoying to untrain.

Lol, goddamn. I mostly give cats a pass on assholish behavior because, well, they're cats. But I think yours might actually be homicidal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, goddamn. I mostly give cats a pass on assholish behavior because, well, they're cats. But I think yours might actually be homicidal

He was very playful and pinged on stuff that got a reaction. Pretty much everything had the same answer: disengage when he did that, and make sure to give him extra attention when he was doing things he was supposed to. For the CPAP machine I started putting a book on top of the buttons so he couldn't step on them, after a couple of months I could take it off fine and he never tried that again.