Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

and the poo poo people post jfc

i barely follow anyone .. is it just asinine or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

dioxazine posted:

don't hold us in suspense, what kind of beer was it?

it was a pint of cheap lager at the bar we had at work in the summer. I am classy and cost conscious

echinopsis posted:

it's like half people circle jerking about some event or saying things like "cant believe I'm leaving here #greatteam #thebest #career", about 40% people talking about "#lifestruggle and #bepositive" and 10% someone that used to be a dev that is now a personal trainer and keeps posting pics of herself flexing all the time lol

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 4, 2023

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

but summers are for shandys :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

keeps posting pics of herself flexing all the time lol

this is the spice of life

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

echinopsis posted:

nonstop stdh.txt

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

long story but I worked part time as a line cook at a bar just before covid and the last night before the first lock down, all of us including the manager got stoned in the foh, but closing duties weren’t finished yet. can not recommend emptying fryer oil while high

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i know we were discussing this a page or three back, but i just came off of an interview where i waited in the Teams room for ten minutes after the meeting started (so about 15 minutes total) and no one showed. so i left. i wonder if i should send the meeting organiser a somewhat upset email

that sucked real bad

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You should definitely let them know that you were there so you don't get blamed if the interviewers showed up somewhere else. Be polite and let them infer that you're unhappy.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm quite upset! i've never been ghosted like this before so i wasn't sure what i should be doing. i just sent the mail asking if there was any further interest in me and if it was just a scheduling error

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

dioxazine posted:

i'm quite upset! i've never been ghosted like this before so i wasn't sure what i should be doing. i just sent the mail asking if there was any further interest in me and if it was just a scheduling error

for future reference I would not ever give voice to the idea that they might no longer be interested in you as a candidate.

Something like

"Hi, I was given $URL to meet you on zoom and I was there at 10am my time but no one showed up to the interview. Perhaps there was a scheduling error? Please let me know ASAP, as I would like to avoid a drawn-out interview process, and I'm sure you would as well."

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

for future reference I would not ever give voice to the idea that they might no longer be interested in you as a candidate.

Something like

"Hi, I was given $URL to meet you on zoom and I was there at 10am my time but no one showed up to the interview. Perhaps there was a scheduling error? Please let me know ASAP, as I would like to avoid a drawn-out interview process, and I'm sure you would as well."

This is good advice. Ideas can be contagious. Don't promote / introduce an idea unless you're OK with the idea becoming true.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

Don't promote / introduce an idea unless you're OK with the idea becoming true.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

Don't promote / introduce an idea unless you're OK with the idea becoming true.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

thanks, mates!

i'll bear this advice in mind for next time, though hopefully it never occurs again

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

Something like

Another thing l like about this: it gives the hiring manager a good way to save face, and leaves them room to maneuver in the conversation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You could also try the classic bit of when a grocer tries to scan your groceries and they don't scan and you go "guess it's free!" except since they didn't show for the interview, it's "guess I'm hired!"

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

CPColin posted:

You could also try the classic bit of when a grocer tries to scan your groceries and they don't scan and you go "guess it's free!" except since they didn't show for the interview, it's "guess I'm hired!"

Do this, op

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

this is why i value colin as a posting pal

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
:tipshat:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CPColin posted:

Lol do it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

interviewing a super junior frontend dev today
asked them to tell me about a time they worked on a project and requirements changed mid-way through -- they tell me that's never happened because they always collect all the requirements up front
asked them to tell me about a time a bug slipped through the release process and how they adjusted the release process to catch similar bugs in the future -- they tell me they never let bugs slip through to production

i guess i should hire this person immediately. they sound like such a badass.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

if they're super junior, do those questions even make sense to ask

like I got asked "tell me about the worst bug you introduced" when I was interviewing for my first job while still in uni, so I had to invent a story about accidentally dropping a side project's prod database on the spot because what else was I gonna talk about

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'm not talking about fresh out of school junior -- this person claimed two years of experience. i'd expect at some point in your two years in industry you'd manage to ship a bug.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe they never shipped anything.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ultrafilter posted:

this is probably it imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For super juniors I still ask those questions anyway - particularly for university grads, they'll have done project work for their degree that is likely relevant to it. If the answer is that it hasn't actually happened, it's easy to pivot into a hypothetical - "how would you respond if you were halfway through a project, and a stakeholder changed their mind about a key requirement?"

If they answer that the stakeholder is wrong and they're still going to build their original design, well, that probably tells you everything you need to know.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

here we go again. back on the apple interview rodeo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KidDynamite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KidDynamite posted:

good luck OP

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

fizzbuzz was taken from the elementary school exercise not the other way around

it's also a drinking game where you clap and change directions around the circle, hth

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

it's also a drinking game where you clap and change directions around the circle, hth

lol cs major parties suck

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
fizzbin is a card game

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drinking games and elementary schooler games have like a 50% overlap rate

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

are there any tech pm roles that are more entry-level than Project Manager? a lot of postings i'm passing up attach a lot of emphasis as having worked specifically in software pm (and specifically in scrum), which i don't really have. is most pming just "coder forced to schedule until they literally can't do both anymore"?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

theflyingexecutive posted:

are there any tech pm roles that are more entry-level than Project Manager? a lot of postings i'm passing up attach a lot of emphasis as having worked specifically in software pm (and specifically in scrum), which i don't really have. is most pming just "coder forced to schedule until they literally can't do both anymore"?

Assistant (to the) Project Manager?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Armitag3 posted:

Assistant (to the) Project Manager?

i've only really seen that in construction postings (fun search collisions there). this of course could just be the state of tech jobs rn, but I have yet to see apm anywhere

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

project manager is a role that's really different org to org ime, it's hard to give general advice. except I think you should apply to the jobs you don't feel qualified for anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Asleep Style posted:

project manager is a role that's really different org to org ime, it's hard to give general advice. except I think you should apply to the jobs you don't feel qualified for anyway

yeah, just wading through postings has given me a little more confidence to send out some reach apps, just being conscious of not wasting too much time on ones that will 100% hit the automated circular file