Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hmm. Anyone in here ever tried an Onyx Boox Leaf 2? Looks like it has:

USB-C
Page turn buttons
Micro SD card expansion
300ppi 7” E Ink Carta Plus screen

And it runs Android 11 so I could read Kindle books using the Kindle app if I wanted to, or just hook up Libby or any other reading app if I didn’t want to use the native functionality.

This thing looks like it might be exactly what I’m looking for. Not sure how well battery life would be but everything else sounds great. It’s 199.99 so it’s cheaper than an Oasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
Kindle app page wireless page turning ring priced at $25
https://goodereader.com/blog/technology/kindle-app-page-wireless-page-turning-ring-priced-at-25

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

USB-C
Page turn buttons
Micro SD card expansion

And it runs Android 11 so I could read Kindle books using the Kindle app if I wanted to, or just hook up Libby or any other reading app if I didn’t want to use the native functionality.

This thing looks like it might be exactly what I’m looking for. Not sure how well battery life would be but everything else sounds great. It’s 199.99 so it’s cheaper than an Oasis.

This was a close runner up to my Kobo Libra 2 when I was fleeing the Kindleverse last year. I don't have any firsthand experience but I've heard pretty much nothing but praise from internet acquaintances who have Onyx devices. Battery life is supposedly a few weeks, which is oodles more than my Oasis had :V

I'm very curious about how well the Hoopla app works on these. My library system has, maybe, 100 titles available in ebook form, but Hoopla has everything, including stuff that I can't find in a digital format anywhere else.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
How do you do fellow kids, I’m looking for a cheap and cheerful e-reader to get started with. Never used one before that I can recall so would be nice to find one that’s got enough good features to whet my appetite but still cheap enough that my broke rear end can afford it. Any suggestions? Danke!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Minotaurus Rex posted:

How do you do fellow kids, I’m looking for a cheap and cheerful e-reader to get started with. Never used one before that I can recall so would be nice to find one that’s got enough good features to whet my appetite but still cheap enough that my broke rear end can afford it. Any suggestions? Danke!

If you want to buy ebooks from Amazon, a Kindle Paperwhite (non-signature edition) will give you a good balance of features for a semi-modest price of 140 bucks. Not a fan of the basic Kindle, but still an option for $100.

If you want to avoid Amazon, then Kobo is your next bet. They offer the Kobo Nia ($110) and the Kobo Clara 2E ($140)

Lastly of the big three, there's Barnes & Noble which currently has the Nook GlowLight 4e on sale currently for a $100. Their standard GlowLight 4 is a bit more at a $150

Out of the main three, if you intend to sideload books more than purchase, I find the Kobo to be pretty well open and will take a number of formats easily and since most ebooks come in epub you can drag and drop for the most part. Kindle is finally allowing epubs in some form but I haven't messed with it. Most of this can be sidestepped by using Calibre which will do conversions for you. If purchasing, there's not too much reason to choose one over the other, prices are set by the publisher so they should be for the most part the same (though Kobo seems to be forgotten a lot in sales, but they do offer a pretty good price match guarantee). Probably would be worth your time to check between them to see if they carry the books you want to read, most cases they do.

Then there's a slew of Android based ereaders which I have no experience with but they're usually more expensive than the dedicated ereaders listed above for the most part.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I considered a tablet but since this is yet another screen I think the priority would be how easy it was on the eyes. So.. it’s looking like Amazon (drat it) really I guess as they got that e-ink and also as I already have quite an Audible collection

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If you're okay with Amazon and want to save money on a Kindle, look for refurbs or holiday sales (Mother's Day!). Ereaders in general reliably go on sale for holidays, but Kindles are practically given away sometimes.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Woot pretty much always has refurbs on sale too. I got a Voyage from Woot years ago (2017 maybe?) and aside from coming in a generic box it looked brand new.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I’ll keep an eye out then I suppose around Mother’s Day. I’m in the UK so we have a slightly different date for Mother’s Day but it’s usually in the vicinity of Mother’s Day USA (and sometimes I wish my mum a happy Mother’s Day USA lol)

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Thanks for the in-depth response by the way!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I considered a tablet but since this is yet another screen I think the priority would be how easy it was on the eyes. So.. it’s looking like Amazon (drat it) really I guess as they got that e-ink and also as I already have quite an Audible collection

All of the ones listed have e-ink displays, fyi. I don't think anyone itt is going to recommend an LCD device by default.

If you want to use it to listen to Audible books as well as actually reading things that probably does limit you to the Kindles, though.

krissgjeng
May 2, 2012
Onyx Boox also have several models that uses eink, it's based on android, so you can use the play store and get the normal kindle app, or use any other book store that is on android.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just found out these exist, and ones in color, so that's neat.

https://mobiscribe.com

7.8 inch screen, so smaller than a scribe but still able to be written on.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Silly Burrito posted:

USB-C
Page turn buttons
Micro SD card expansion

So I went ahead and bought this (the white one that’s missing the extra glass), and it came in today. First impressions: the screen is nice. I like having the page turn buttons but I do miss the uneven weight of the Oasis. It’s Android, so after you activate the Play Store, you can download your favorite reader if you don’t like the default one.

Calibre recognizes it when you plug it in, and it transfers books over easily. I did go ahead and download Bookerly as I’ve gotten used to that font (using the Airdroid app, still working out the Mac kinks of using the USB-C cable for non-Calibre file transfer).

Haven’t added an SD card yet, but it comes with roughly 22GB free out of 32GB, so that should work for a long while.

The Kindle app works, and you can use the page buttons once you change the settings in the app to use “volume controls”. I also tried Libby but it’s having some network issues that may be on my side.

The downsides, it’s not as ergonomic as the Oasis. You can flip it, but I only like holding it so far with the buttons on the left. The system itself is fairly slow when opening apps. It seems to leave ghost marks in some apps, but that may be a transparency selection. Since it is Android you can install almost any app, but I probably would just stick to reading ones.

Still, for the price ($169 barely used from BHPhotoVideo), it’s not bad. I’ll give it a few more days to decide if I want to keep it or send it back.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
My 2016 kindle oasis has developed a big crack on the screen and repairs would apparently cost $200+ ($140 for the replacement part alone, plus labor costs).
What's the market like nowadays if I mostly only care about page turn buttons and the ability to sideload stuff from Calibre?

Looks like besides another Oasis my main option is a Kobo Libra/Forma or the latest Barnes & Noble nook thing. Anything else I'm missing? There's the Onyx Boox stuff but software jank sounds like a big turnoff.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I bought my Oasis whatever the newest one was in 2020.

From what I gather, there’s still no refresh ? No new version I mean, faster page turns or something.

Just looking, I don’t actually need a new one but it might be nice to upgrade

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My 2016 kindle oasis has developed a big crack on the screen and repairs would apparently cost $200+ ($140 for the replacement part alone, plus labor costs).
What's the market like nowadays if I mostly only care about page turn buttons and the ability to sideload stuff from Calibre?

Looks like besides another Oasis my main option is a Kobo Libra/Forma or the latest Barnes & Noble nook thing. Anything else I'm missing? There's the Onyx Boox stuff but software jank sounds like a big turnoff.

That's pretty much it, the Libra 2, the Onyx Book Leaf 2, or another Oasis. I ended up sending my Leaf 2 back as I couldn't get used to the ergonomics. I'm holding out until Mother's Day just in case, but if nothing new is released, I'm just going with a Libra 2.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Silly Burrito posted:

That's pretty much it, the Libra 2, the Onyx Book Leaf 2, or another Oasis. I ended up sending my Leaf 2 back as I couldn't get used to the ergonomics. I'm holding out until Mother's Day just in case, but if nothing new is released, I'm just going with a Libra 2.

Thanks. That's unfortunate about the leaf... we more good ereader manufacturers!
Ill keep an eye out for sales on Kobo stuff.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I bought my Oasis whatever the newest one was in 2020.

From what I gather, there’s still no refresh ? No new version I mean, faster page turns or something.

Just looking, I don’t actually need a new one but it might be nice to upgrade

Nope! Last kindle oasis was in 2019 and seemingly all it added over the 2017 version was the ability to change the backlight to be more 'warm' (orange instead of blue light, better for reading at night).
Page turns being slow is kinda a limitation of the e-ink technology -- unlike an LCD it has to physically move pigments back and forth across the cells to change back and forth from black to white, so I wouldn't expect new editions to improve there unless there are some tech breakthroughs. These are still using the same "e-ink carta" displays from 2013.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 28, 2023

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The new Kobo device spotted in the FCC database recently turns out to be the as of yet unannounced Kobo Elipsa 2E, similar to the Clara 2E it's an ereader with recycled plastics. Adds warmlight and a 2nd generation Kobo stylus with rechargeable battery and eraser mode. No 300ppi to match the Kindle Scribe.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2023/03/26/new-10-3-kobo-elipsa-2e-details-revealed/

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=895255204927587

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 28, 2023

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

i'm deeply ignorant on ereaders so looking for a recommendation for something portable for use on the train/tube.

what i want to avoid is anything thats going to lock me into a particular shopfront eco system, and that will let me load from my exisiting calibre based library. apart from that not super picky. smallish, lightish, physical buttons i guess would be nice?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

RUM hack posted:

i'm deeply ignorant on ereaders so looking for a recommendation for something portable for use on the train/tube.

what i want to avoid is anything thats going to lock me into a particular shopfront eco system, and that will let me load from my exisiting calibre based library. apart from that not super picky. smallish, lightish, physical buttons i guess would be nice?

I like Boox quite a bit (owned a Nova3 and still use a Note3), and aside from whatever hesitation you'd get from their use of Android OS and its update track record, they definitely make at least a couple of devices you could enjoy.

If you don't like the stock reader, or have any reader apps you already like, you can run anything that works on Android via Play or F-Droid etc.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Kobo readers also work well with Calibre, from my experience. I don’t think you can remove the store app from the reader, but you can definitely ignore it all together

edit: Some models also have built-in Dropbox functionality, though I’ve never used the one on mine

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 28, 2023

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

sweart gliwere posted:

I like Boox quite a bit (owned a Nova3 and still use a Note3), and aside from whatever hesitation you'd get from their use of Android OS and its update track record, they definitely make at least a couple of devices you could enjoy.

If you don't like the stock reader, or have any reader apps you already like, you can run anything that works on Android via Play or F-Droid etc.

the boox leaf2 certainly seems like it ticks the boxes, but £210 seem like a lot when compared to a kindle or kobo device that on the face of it has a similar set of specs. I guess thats the price of having a device that isn't tied into the specific stores they are trying to lock you into?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The only Kindle with the same design as the leaf2 with the nice physical buttons and all is the oasis which is much pricier here in the US ($270 ad-free, or $300 for the 32gb model, vs $200 usd for the 32gb leaf2)

Also what is with manufacturers way overcharging for internal storage? I can buy a 128gb microsd card for $15 in TYOOL 2023 but Amazon (and apple/google/samsung) will gladly charge 2-3x as much to upgrade by far less space.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

RUM hack posted:

the boox leaf2 certainly seems like it ticks the boxes, but £210 seem like a lot when compared to a kindle or kobo device that on the face of it has a similar set of specs. I guess thats the price of having a device that isn't tied into the specific stores they are trying to lock you into?

Physical buttons seem to be what causes premium ereader pricing bumps for some reason, it's kind of silly.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I got my first e-reader a few months ago, a Clara 2e, and lurking this thread the whole time I've been curious -- what is the big appeal of buttons? People are always listing it as a requirement, never used them so I don't get it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I got my first e-reader a few months ago, a Clara 2e, and lurking this thread the whole time I've been curious -- what is the big appeal of buttons? People are always listing it as a requirement, never used them so I don't get it.

With buttons, I don't have to take my hands out from my mittens to turn the page. (Or think being huddled under a blanket on a cold day.)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

My ancient basic-rear end kindle will respond to gloved touch no problem. I think it uses an IR touch screen?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

One handed operation. Swiping is a pain in the butt if you’re holding the ereader with one hand. Tap zones can work, but buttons are just better IMO.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When’s the last normal Kindle that even came with buttons?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Voyage, I think? It's normal shaped and was the premium option for a bit.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

smackfu posted:

The Oasis.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I like to read while lying in bed at night and I switch lying positions a lot, I like the ability to disable the touchscreen and have just the buttons so I can use whatever 1 handed grip I want to read in bed while lying on my back/side without worrying about incidental random page turns just from holding the thing wrong.
Plus my first ever ereader was one of the old pre-touchscreen kindles with pageturn buttons and a full keyboard so I'm just used to it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

smackfu posted:

wikipedia actually has pictures of all of the kindle models.

It looks like the last basic-rear end entry-level kindle with page turn buttons was the kindle 5 in 2012

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Something else really cool and good with page turn buttons is that on the Oasis at least you can turn off the touch part of the screen. That was a lifesaver when my kids were tiny enough for me to bottle feed while reading and I didn't have to worry about a flailing arm or leg hitting the screen and turning a page.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Touch really sucked with older devices because the page turns were so slow that you couldn't be sure if the gesture registered or not, which led to an annoying moment of doubt every time.

A nice clicky button gives you that positive feedback. I don't find it to be an issue now that things have generally sped up.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

On vacation I would read in the pool with my kindle in a ziplock bag and any splashes of water on the plastic would be enough capacitance to make random page turns and other nonsense. Not an issue with buttons.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Does anyone have a way to manage collections on a Kindle without being on the drat e-ink UI? It's slow and laggy and takes forever. I just want to put all my series into collections. :(

If I want a non-Amazon device that can still read from the Kindle store, I'm stuck with the Boox or some other Android device, right? The Kobo and ReMarkable can't read them without conversion?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jedi425 posted:

Does anyone have a way to manage collections on a Kindle without being on the drat e-ink UI? It's slow and laggy and takes forever. I just want to put all my series into collections. :(

If I want a non-Amazon device that can still read from the Kindle store, I'm stuck with the Boox or some other Android device, right? The Kobo and ReMarkable can't read them without conversion?

You can add/remove stuff from collections on the website, assuming everything you own is either purchased from amazon or uploaded using the send-to-kindle email address:
https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/digital-console/contentlist/allcontent/dateDsc

If you have local .epub files you've put onto your kindle it won't help for those though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can add/remove stuff from collections on the website, assuming everything you own is either purchased from amazon or uploaded using the send-to-kindle email address:
https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/digital-console/contentlist/allcontent/dateDsc

If you have local .epub files you've put onto your kindle it won't help for those though.

Yeah, that's the problem is I have a sizable collection of epubs I've loaded on with Calibre. There's supposedly plug-ins that will let you edit the collections in Calibre but they require a jailbreak.