Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flytrap posted:

This has been my general read too. We're caught in the middle of a war between two titanic beings who don't much care what it's going to cost them to stay in control.

Also uh, something I noticed. Does anyone other than Rogier actually mention when the death of Godwyn happened? Because every time I start a new game it shows the shatter first, and THEN the Night of Black Knives after. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's always caught my eye.

Bit confusing because two “shatterings” occur. The ring was literally shattered, then everyone realized they couldn’t find Marika, then Godwyn & co. got killed. And this kicked off an open civil war which is also called “the Shattering” where the surviving demigods contested the great runes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

skasion posted:

Bit confusing because two “shatterings” occur. The ring was literally shattered, then everyone realized they couldn’t find Marika, then Godwyn & co. got killed. And this kicked off an open civil war which is also called “the Shattering” where the surviving demigods contested the great runes.

No Godwyn was killed first, Marika's grief is the in universe "explanation" for why she shattered the ring.

The timeline is Night of the Black Knives, Marika goes missing out of "grief", she shatters the ring and calls her children to action, the civil war called the shattering begins because she basically ordered her kids to fight over who gets to rule. I actually think the reason she plotted Godwyn's death, if she plotted it (and signs point to she kind of at least had enough of a hand that she helped Ranni make the required dagger), is that with Godwyn alive the civil war doesn't happen and her plot with the Tarnished/getting rid of the Elden Beast doesn't play out the way she wants.

He's beloved by all his siblings, he's Godwyn the Golden, the natural and ideal choice for the next ruler of Leyndell. The firstborn (maybe, the Omens twins might have been before him, but I feel like Godwyn is definitely presented as an equivalent to the Nameless King for a reason), of the Golden Lineage. If Marika shatters the Elden Ring and orders her kids to all fight whilst Godwyn is alive, they might have rallied around Godwyn instead (at least the Empyrean Twins might have supported him, at least until the Haligtree was finished, Radahn might not have Sieged the capitol if it was being commanded by Godwyn instead of Morgott, Rykard probably always was gonna be a problem but yeah).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 4, 2023

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Edit: It's not that she planned everything in the entire game, but the Shattering was something she thought up to unshackle herself from the Greater Will but remain the God Queen of the Lands Between. I think. The fact it went the way it did is because a bunch of other people also had plans going on.

She's literally crucified when the game begins, which isn't a super-unexpected punishment for shattering the Elden Ring. She might not have intended for that to happen or wanted the new Elden Lord (or maybe Godfrey) to free her, but as it stands if this was a power grab it really didn't go that well.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sum Gai posted:

She's literally crucified when the game begins, which isn't a super-unexpected punishment for shattering the Elden Ring. She might not have intended for that to happen or wanted the new Elden Lord (or maybe Godfrey) to free her, but as it stands if this was a power grab it really didn't go that well.

Well it works in every ending except Ranni and the Frenzied Flame, although obviously yeah, she got very hosed up until then.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I vibe out the lore almost entirely, along with taking what sounds cool from lore videos and discarding what doesn't. The Two Fingers are low-res copies of Placidusax. The coming of the Elden Beast destroyed the Greattree, and the the war for dominance among shoots trying to grow from its stump is the period of history referred to as "the crucible". The Outer Gods are pieces of the original Elden Ring which were torn out by the Elden Beast because it didn't like nasty things like blood, rot, madness and death, and didn't care that their removal would mess up the natural order. All these and more are not necessarily supported by the text, but I think they sound tight

:hmmyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

People who are having trouble seeing the Erdtree might want to check if they're playing in Offline Mode

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Rumours going around that Armored Core is set for late September with SotE sometime after that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Predictions: the DLC's gonna introduce alternative mounts that can be ridden instead of Torrent. Radahn's pony will be one of them. You will also be able to get the Mariner canoe as a (really slow and clumsy, yet perversely hugely popular) mount. It does not allow you to traverse water. You acquire it right next to fatally deep water; the shore is festooned with "don't you dare" and "betrayal ahead" and "death, O death" messages

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

As long as we get the mariner horn as a weapon

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
elden beast: rekt

guess i'll mess around in haligtree now

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I just spent like 3 hours farming snakemen for the Magma Blade.

It wasn't worth it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it me or does the game have a amputation motif?

I mean Millicent, Commander Niall, the Fire Giant in phase 2, same for Godrick, Melenia (or so I'm told).

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is it me or does the game have a amputation motif?

I mean Millicent, Commander Niall, the Fire Giant in phase 2, same for Godrick, Melenia (or so I'm told).

This doesn't even touch on all albinaurics losing their legs eventually.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
All you need to wear a ring is a Finger.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Radagon Wolf wasn't too hard, so I'm probably overlevelled.Did some exploring around the rooftops after that and now I'm over by the Church getting face-owned by some flame-spitting machine(?) with a nasty cattle catcher on the front.

Love this game so much.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

War Wizard posted:

This doesn't even touch on all albinaurics losing their legs eventually.

I haven't played any other Souls games aside from this and Bloodborne.

Is amputation a thing in the others like poison swamps, post-apocalyptic fantasy worlds, and trying to cheat death being bad?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I’m anxiously anticipating Tarnished Archeologist’s video on the fingers because what the hell are they (besides the only and most banal metaphor that comes to mind, “the hand of God”)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is amputation a thing in the others like poison swamps, post-apocalyptic fantasy worlds, and trying to cheat death being bad?

Sekiro has plot relevant amputation

In DS1/2 you can sometimes cut bits off the bosses. Mostly just for fun

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Fingers are actually an evil dead reference, remember when his hand got possessed? Its like that.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I like to think that the fingers are never actually saying anything and the finger maidens are just insane/full of poo poo.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
My favorite thing is how Enia does a goofy voice when speaking for the fingers.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the devs are cowards for not modeling their goofy rear end legs

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

skasion posted:

Sekiro has plot relevant amputation

In DS1/2 you can sometimes cut bits off the bosses. Mostly just for fun

I'm an amputee IRL and I played this game for like 80 hours before realising amputation was a reoccurring thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's a bit of a history with characters having some kind of disability or similar situation, but not amputation specifically. The level up waifus in DeS and DS3 are blind and the closest equivalents in DS1 all have their own issues. The Emerald Maiden from DS2 only has heterochromia, but there is also straight up a Giant that rips off a limb when the fight starts to go south.

Tbh, I was disappointed to find out that grafting is solely Godrick's gimmick. Given the repeated amputation stuff I thought it would've had more importance to the game and not just turn out to be one minor tree motif amongst half a dozen other tree motifs.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It kinda makes sense that it's just him and the Scions, though, as it is hammered pretty heavily that most of the rest of the world finds the act reprehensible, pathetic, and shameful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Well yeah, but the game didn't have to take that route. Back when all I had to go on was 1.5 trailers, I thought Godrick was a religious fanatic trying to make himself more like the Erdtree by giving himself more and more branches.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The part I don't get about grafting is Godrick is universally regarded as a weak rear end bitch and yet apparently a whole bunch of tarnished were like "welp time to go get grafted"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Benagain posted:

The part I don't get about grafting is Godrick is universally regarded as a weak rear end bitch and yet apparently a whole bunch of tarnished were like "welp time to go get grafted"

I bet that's why magrit shows up there to begin with: he was tired of seeing Godrick grafting all the dumb tarnished.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I bet that's why magrit shows up there to begin with: he was tired of seeing Godrick grafting all the dumb tarnished.

"Lowly Tarnished, go feed Rennala some kills instead. This is getting ridiculous"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hah, Margit filtering tarnished away from Godrick so he'll stop getting more body parts is an angle I hadn't considered. Morgott doesn't want any new contenders arising when it was such a hassle to defend Lyndell the first time.

Benagain posted:

Godrick is universally regarded as a weak rear end bitch by the rest of a powerful pantheon of demigods. To pitiful Tarnished that have lost the ability to see the grace I think they're so hopeless that they offer to serve him thinking they'll get a better deal than what grafting actually leads to, or that even being a Scion is better than being a useless hollowed being. Roderika seems to present it as a necessary evil that she has to build up the courage to do rather than the pitiless butchering we discover. Godrick also sponsors the exile knights, so it seems he's a viable contender for power in the Lands Between, just the lowest on the totem pole at the moment, assuming he could somehow make himself a Radahn sized hulk given enough time and bodies.

Presumably Godrick was also a weak rear end bitch before he got into grafting. His current form might rate a bit better if we ignore the logic of "he's the second big boss so he can't be too hard." Kinda like how Morgott rules but gets vit checked a lot.

Also I know the sword marker is letting us know how bad Godrick got owned but I think dude deserves some vague respect for challenging Malenia and surviving at all. His begging was pitiful though. Still one of my favorite lore characters to think about in this game. That infectious drat laugh when you fight him..

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
God i dont ask for much please let this be the last run to Maliketh

e: god u bitch

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

GloomMouse posted:

As long as we get the mariner horn as a weapon

Strongly agreed. We need a fourth doot - a dark doot - so that we can be Those Who Doot in Death.

I would also like the alarm horn used by sentries and the fancy horn carried by those banner nobles to be rare drops, so that I can collect, upgrade, and wield all six doots. I wish to be Lord of the Doots

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i would also like the infantry horns thatd be very cool

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

My personal take on Marika is that she wants to rule, but she doesn't want to rule in someone else's name. That's why she ultimately turns against the Golden Order/Greater Will/Elden Beast.

Marika made herself eternal by removing Destined Death, she wants to be god queen for eternity, but the Greater Will has made backup Empyreans, potentially forced them into existence via the marriage between Radagon and Marika (yes, yes they're the same person, they're also both Empyreans so all their children are Empyreans too).

She performed the shattering because well, she's realising she's not going to be queen forever and she wants to be. This is also why the ending that she "devised" is a Tarnished becoming Lord and repairing the ring as it was, since the Ring is her repairing it should repair her (and indeed you put her body back together to symbolically rebuild the ring). She likely wanted it to be Godfrey, or was planning it to be him, hence why she directly talked/explained it to him.

Edit: It's not that she planned everything in the entire game, but the Shattering was something she thought up to unshackle herself from the Greater Will but remain the God Queen of the Lands Between. I think. The fact it went the way it did is because a bunch of other people also had plans going on.
If the plan was always to rule alongside Godfrey why did she send him away and marry Radagon?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

verbal enema posted:

i would also like the infantry horns thatd be very cool

It doesn't have a special holy doot attack or split damage or anything. The default ash of war doesn't even do anything, it just goes doooot. Beating people to a pulp with a completely ordinary trumpet

However, if you put a shout/roar ash of war on the horn, it uses the horn's doot animation, sped up or slowed down to match the length of the skill's original animation. Annihilate your enemies with smooth jazz

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If the plan was always to rule alongside Godfrey why did she send him away and marry Radagon?

I think that was the end goal of her Tarnished plan: get Godfrey good and stronger out waging war elsewhere, come back to slay the Elden Beast, and get back with her newly crowned main squeeze.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Godfrey and Rennala should get together.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Perhaps Godfrey still held faith with his Crucible Knights, who loyally served him for many years and through many wars, but Marika had decided it was time to go Golden Order Mode and erase all vestiges of respect and sacred aura from anything of the Crucible age. Irreconcilable differences.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think people are willingly offering themselves to be grafted; Roderika is just speaking figuratively while somewhat delirious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Do we think that Radagon's appearance was willful by Marika? Like did she will her male alter ego into being? Or did the Greater Will clone her into a subservient version?