Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

do you have to post your reddit arguments here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

do you have to post your reddit arguments here?

Do you have to pop up once every six months to complain?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
PFC is right

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

PFC is right

we already have ait representing the reddit view, we don't also need reddit quotes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cars are pretty cool

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

did you mean to say cats? cats are pretty cool

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Horace posted:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/if-lived-chester-york-street-26360295

(double yellow lines mean no parking)

"the council should not paint lines on the historic cobbles on my historic street! It ruins the historic character!!"
"you should, however, be allowed to park cars on both sides of my historic street"

1: there were already yellow lines on the street. the council have just repainted them.
2: Someone tell UNESCO about this shithole world heritage street

notice that in this 2016 street view picture the lines are already existent and there are cars parked on them (blocking the pavement, of course)

tl;dr: carbrain. terminal case
The tradition of parking on that cobbled street has lasted for hundreds of years! Sad!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone else heard about the kia and hyundais that are super easy to steal? lol

from local paper

quote:

Kia and Hyundai thefts skyrocket 836% in Minneapolis; attorney general and Twin Cities mayors urge recalls

But Ellison, Carter, Frey and law enforcement officials said that isn't happening fast enough, and the thefts continue to rise, with Kias and Hyundais making up nearly 2 of every 5 vehicles stolen in Minneapolis last year.

The problem of Kia and Hyundai thefts exploded across the U.S. last year after details about the vulnerability of vehicles that use a traditional metal ignition key were spread across social media, especially TikTok, where teens were baited to answer the call of the "Kia challenge."

The resulting wave of thefts — including by some too young to drive — are enabling other crimes and leaving death in their wake.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

from local paper

The city of Seattle filed a lawsuit over this.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I had a Nissan Sentra when I was a teen that I could start with my dad's Corolla key.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cat botherer posted:

I had a Nissan Sentra when I was a teen that I could start with my dad's Corolla key.

Back in the days when industry standardization was a thing :cloud:

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

actionjackson posted:

from local paper

i read that people were stealing Kias “with just a USB cable”. so I thought that someone had hacked together like an arduino that bypasses the ecu or something. No, turns out if you smash the ignition barrel out of the steering column it exposes a hole the shape of a USB plug, meaning you can start the car using the cable as a key.

this works in the US because immobilisers aren’t mandated so kia don’t fit them as standard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They're the only cars "affordable" to most normies so there's no hurry to fix poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

I had to drive my car today. What a load of bullshit

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

while I would prefer banning cars entirely, a mandatory participation no-cost ride share program would alleviate at least a few of the social ills caused by cars without having to overhaul our existing infrastructure so I applaud kia and hyundai

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Clark Nova posted:

while I would prefer banning cars entirely, a mandatory participation no-cost ride share program would alleviate at least a few of the social ills caused by cars without having to overhaul our existing infrastructure so I applaud kia and hyundai

You could probably incentivize it easily by giving money to people who carpool 4+ days a week. gently caress for 50 bucks a week just for riding I'd suck a hog, I don't care I'm not proud. You reduce enough traffic you'd probably come out ahead just by reducing wrecks and court costs alone.

The point I'm getting at is we could do so much to improve things slightly and we're not going to

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My coworker recently got basically grounded, unable to reasonably go anywhere, because she's a widow in a rural area where a car is necessary to go places. Her doctor suspected epilepsy, so her license got suspended until it was cleared up (actually a good thing). But because the infrastructure is so car focused, she just stayed home and got groceries delivered.

This also means that people with actual epilepsy can't really live in rural areas without someone willing to drive them everywhere.

What I'm saying is that cars are bad.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

BonHair posted:

I've been hearing this more and more.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I had to drive my car today. What a load of bullshit

nice brother, iddrive my car everyday

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cars are pretty cool

Yeah pretty cool.... FOR THE WRECKYARD

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

even a new civic is over 25k now

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

even a new civic is over 25k now

you can spend $42K on a new Outback if you want

and those are the only ones the local dealers are stocking

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

BonHair posted:

My coworker recently got basically grounded, unable to reasonably go anywhere, because she's a widow in a rural area where a car is necessary to go places. Her doctor suspected epilepsy, so her license got suspended until it was cleared up (actually a good thing). But because the infrastructure is so car focused, she just stayed home and got groceries delivered.

This also means that people with actual epilepsy can't really live in rural areas without someone willing to drive them everywhere.

A huge annoyance of mine is when drivers suggest that everyone over a certain age should have their driver license taken away. On the one hand, I completely agree that many older people should not be allowed to drive (and many younger people too). On the other hand, it is cruel and heartless in places that are built for cars.

Like, what is the actual plan? Are you going to drive Grandma to bridge club? Are you going to volunteer for Meals on Wheels? How are you going to solve the problem of millions of elderly people who are no longer able to go anywhere on their own?

Instead of asking, "Why should anyone have to drive well to participate in society?" they ask, "Why should old people be allowed to participate in society? They can't even drive well."

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
We bought a Crosstrek back in October for 28k and didn't have to wait. Too much for a car but it could be a whole shitload worse

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I can't even imagine how bad it must suck being a teenager in rural areas. From 13 to 18, you're gonna want your independence, but you have to have a loving adult with you if you wanna go anywhere? That's just horrible, and part of why I never really considered leaving the city

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

from local paper
yeah our city put out a thing that kias/hyundais are like 38% of all car thefts https://www.berkeleyside.org/2023/03/02/berkeley-police-beware-hyundai-kia-car-thefts

serves them right for buying a kia or hyundia instead of a good ol' fashioned american BUILT FORD TOUGH8

mystes
May 31, 2006

BonHair posted:

I can't even imagine how bad it must suck being a teenager in rural areas. From 13 to 18, you're gonna want your independence, but you have to have a loving adult with you if you wanna go anywhere? That's just horrible, and part of why I never really considered leaving the city
This is why kids can get licenses at like 16 in a lot of places and some states want to lower it to 15. Well either that or because parents don't want to have to drive their kids around

It's a great system

Apr 7, 2003

BonHair posted:

Rural living as it exists today is purely an invention of the automobile age, prior to the automobile all those rural people lived in closely-clustered towns with rail lines between them

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BonHair posted:

My first home was in the inner city - everything was walkable and my siblings and I would walk to a massive park and go to the zoo and poo poo by ourselves constantly and I loved it and then our house burned down and my parents used the insurance money to buy out in the burbs and oh my loving god I hated it and that was also the first place I was ever hit by a car. At 14 I got a volunteer job at the closest place I could find which was a mile and a half walk away that I did and then at 16 I got a job job at a movie theater and by then crime was kind of insane so I was walking a mile and a half with a cut through some woods but half my coworkers would take pity on me and drive me because no one wanted me walking home at night alone.

for the crime thing - lol i lived stones throw distance of a spot where an ex fire fighter started a meth house, blew up his meth house on purpose then shot everyone who came to help it because he hated his ex coworkers so like a few shot cops, firemen, and bystanders. I also saw more drug deals than i ever saw as a little kid in the area that was supposedly worse. There's this stupid myth that suburbs are safer for kids or that used to exist and my parents fell right into that trap.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Horace posted:

i read that people were stealing Kias “with just a USB cable”. so I thought that someone had hacked together like an arduino that bypasses the ecu or something. No, turns out if you smash the ignition barrel out of the steering column it exposes a hole the shape of a USB plug, meaning you can start the car using the cable as a key.

this works in the US because immobilisers aren’t mandated so kia don’t fit them as standard.

Lol wow. It's like the kryptonite bike locks being opened with bic pens in 05

Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

my siblings and I would walk to a massive park and go to the zoo and poo poo by ourselves constantly

IBS is hard on kids

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

for the crime thing - lol i lived stones throw distance of a spot where an ex fire fighter started a meth house, blew up his meth house on purpose then shot everyone who came to help it because he hated his ex coworkers so like a few shot cops, firemen, and bystanders. I also saw more drug deals than i ever saw as a little kid in the area that was supposedly worse. There's this stupid myth that suburbs are safer for kids or that used to exist and my parents fell right into that trap.

Small town america is basically the wild west at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if it's murder rate exceeds most of the more dangerous "inner cities"

Apr 7, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Small town america is basically the wild west at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if it's murder rate exceeds most of the more dangerous "inner cities"

The state of Oklahoma has a higher murder rate than New York City lol

Small towns are full of crime, everyone just knows / is related to everyone else so everyone keeps their mouths shut (or else)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
American perception of reality is mostly formed by TV, and all long running crime shows are set in cities. The Law & Order series is basically reality according to most people.

Plus no reporter wants to go out to the middle of nowhere to report on the crime there.

Milo and POTUS posted:

You could probably incentivize it easily by giving money to people who carpool 4+ days a week. gently caress for 50 bucks a week just for riding I'd suck a hog, I don't care I'm not proud. You reduce enough traffic you'd probably come out ahead just by reducing wrecks and court costs alone.

The point I'm getting at is we could do so much to improve things slightly and we're not going to
Now imagine instead of carpooling 5 people we had a vehicle that could carpool over 30 people from residential areas to job centers.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

You may remember I had posted about Summit Avenue, the wealthiest street in St Paul MN. I was over there doing white people things and found this

https://www.savesummitavenue.org/

they do at least link to the city's plan, which is i'm interested in checking out. but they want to keep the existing bike lanes, which have no protection from cars (there's a lot of bicyclists getting hit by cars on this street)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Mar 5, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Cars are pretty cool, but also bad. Like guns, alcohol, and video games.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

video games ftw

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was playing Far Cry 4 the other day and set a waypoint on the map. I looked at it and went "aw, 650 meters away, I'll take the car" and that made me really sad.

Apr 7, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I was playing Far Cry 4 the other day and set a waypoint on the map. I looked at it and went "aw, 650 meters away, I'll take the car" and that made me really sad.

a few weeks ago one of my neighbors got her dad to drive her to where she parked her car so she wouldn't have to walk

she parked her car less than 200 feet from their house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

might play euro truck simulator 2