Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ah you know, that's another good lesson to take away
everything can be made to fit if you want it to

I feel like sometimes I like tinkering more than playing
the playing is fun too but I like customizing and tweaking stuff and wiring

I’m a little nervous about the soldering so I’m glad the pickups on order were 24 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Southern Cassowary posted:

I am legitimately so scatterbrained i was thinking "huh, it's been a bit since i had a guitar with a maple board" while totally forgetting my ESP, which I play the most, has a maple board. I've had it for long enough I barely think about it when I play it at this point. The white inlays on the maple board are easily the dumbest thing about this otherwise basically perfect guitar and I wish it had an ebony board for purely aesthetic reasons instead.

as someone who prefers no inlays on the fretboard, I think the white on maple look sick as gently caress and I love that guitar

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’m a little nervous about the soldering so I’m glad the pickups on order were 24 bucks.

Pretty hard to gently caress up a pickup soldering. All the action should be wayyyy at the other end of the wiring away from the sensitive bits. Even then its quite hard to gently caress up a pot unless you hold the iron on there for a couple of minutes without stopping.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Most amateur soldering mistakes (in my experience) are being too afraid to go to a high enough heat and can't do anything to harm the components

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

muike posted:

Most amateur soldering mistakes (in my experience) are being too afraid to go to a high enough heat and can't do anything to harm the components

cheap irons dont get hot enough and it makes it 10x harder too because you have to hold the contact longer while you try to get it to heat up instead of it just being a quick second

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That makes sense since my first iron just plugged into the wall and felt very cheap

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

muike posted:

as someone who prefers no inlays on the fretboard, I think the white on maple look sick as gently caress and I love that guitar

It's sentimental because ESP released this particular model when I was in a coding bootcamp and I told myself, "When I get a good coding job I'm going to get one of these." Years later, I did exactly that and I love everything about it except the white on maple, but that's absolutely a taste thing. The Bareknuckles are great, the hardware is fantastic, top is great, neck is great, and the fretwork and fit and finish is top notch. It's one of the two of my guitars that I'd rescue from a fire.

I sometimes eyeball other hardtail superstrats (the Ibanez RGR5221 is similarly specced and I love the bright orange ash top, and PRS just put out a Dustie Waring signature hardtail that looks awesome) but this ESP will always have a place in my heart.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 4, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

My iron is fine, but when I started I accidentally ordered solder meant for industrial uses and my iron could not get hot enough to melt it at all.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 4, 2023

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

It's sentimental because ESP released this particular model when I was in a coding bootcamp and I told myself, "When I get a good coding job I'm going to get one of these." Years later, I did exactly that and I love everything about it except the white on maple, but that's absolutely a taste thing. The Bareknuckles are great, the hardware is fantastic, top is great, neck is great, and the fretwork and fit and finish is top notch. It's one of the two of my guitars that I'd rescue from a fire.

one day you will love the white on white inshallah

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I did a thing.

I took acoustic lessons for a little while as a late tween~early teenager, but found it difficult and confusing and never really caught on. I’m finding an electric far less tough on my fingers to play, but I’m definitely still a newbie. :v:

I’ll need lessons in order to actually play and make music with it. But for now, whee!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Pollyanna posted:

I did a thing.

Lake Placid Blue telecasters are fantastic, love it.

In-person lessons are worth it if you can afford it but if you want to start working on stuff now https://www.justinguitar.com/ is very good

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

having a brain fade and hoping this thread can help:

there's an online guitar shop that sells all sorts of parts and part guitar kits and the website looks like its straight out of web 1.0 but for the life of me I can't remember what its called and google isn't revealing it. They also sell relic'd partscasters as a boutique thing.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bernth, the Austrian shredder / teacher, has a new track out. It's pretty sweet. The solo and lead guitars are played and arranged very modern, i.e. in that playful post-math-rock style many younger players have now. I really dig it.

The track also caught me off guard because he's basically singing about what I've been feeling since my dad got sick and later died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hgRirnPejA

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ethanol posted:

cheap irons dont get hot enough and it makes it 10x harder too because you have to hold the contact longer while you try to get it to heat up instead of it just being a quick second
It’s probably overkill for my needs, but I splurged on a Hakko FX888D and soldering is waaaay easier than when I was using an old crappy iron borrowed from my dad. And guitar soldering is easier too because most of the things you’re working with are reasonably big.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Guitar fetish? Their website is extremely corny.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Carth Dookie posted:

there's an online guitar shop that sells all sorts of parts and part guitar kits and the website looks like its straight out of web 1.0 but for the life of me I can't remember what its called and google isn't revealing it. They also sell relic'd partscasters as a boutique thing.

Guitar Fetish?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Leck posted:

It’s probably overkill for my needs, but I splurged on a Hakko FX888D and soldering is waaaay easier than when I was using an old crappy iron borrowed from my dad. And guitar soldering is easier too because most of the things you’re working with are reasonably big.

the hakko is what i use as well

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
efb

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Carth Dookie posted:

Guitar Fetish? Stewmac maybe?
https://www.chrisguitars.com/ ?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It was guitar fetish.

thanks guys.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This one is pretty bad too.
http://www.guitarheads.net/products/pickups/pickups.html

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lake Placid Blue telecasters are fantastic, love it.

In-person lessons are worth it if you can afford it but if you want to start working on stuff now https://www.justinguitar.com/ is very good

I’m honestly bouncing off of YouTube/website lessons, I think in-person has the right structure for me. I’ve got a couple names in the Boston area, I’ll look around!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lmao

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I did a thing.

I took acoustic lessons for a little while as a late tween~early teenager, but found it difficult and confusing and never really caught on. I’m finding an electric far less tough on my fingers to play, but I’m definitely still a newbie. :v:

I’ll need lessons in order to actually play and make music with it. But for now, whee!

thats exactly the kind of guitar that i would choose too, that bridge is going to keep it in tune and easy to intonate. nice color too. how much does it weigh??

Pollyanna posted:

I’m honestly bouncing off of YouTube/website lessons, I think in-person has the right structure for me. I’ve got a couple names in the Boston area, I’ll look around!

smart IMO

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I've got a quick question for anyone who plays nylon guitars here. I've been learning a few Sun Kil Moon songs and I've noticed he usually has his nylon acoustic tuned down really low in a lot of his songs, sometimes down to A. I've never messed with a nylon string guitar and was just wondering how they handle different tunings, specifically major down-tunings compared to steel strings. I usually have my steel string tuned down to C#, and this feels like the limit before everything turns to complete slop without switching the heavier gauge strings. I really want to get a nylon someday, but I am becoming dangerously close to room full of guitars and my apartment is way too small for that.

i looked online for long scale classical guitars, and there are makers who will do this for you, but it's expensive.

i used web search to find an audio example of one, and this is what i found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2BjcLaH2M4

sounds cool! but if this is gonna be your first nylon string guitar, better to get something cheap to make sure you can get used to the larger neck width.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Put a couple guitars on Reverb, took two hours before my first scam offer. I put three up last weekend, and had three in three hours. Must be taking it easy this week.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thats exactly the kind of guitar that i would choose too, that bridge is going to keep it in tune and easy to intonate. nice color too. how much does it weigh??

Not too much, it’s got a reasonable amount of heft. A little less heavy than my cat, who’s about 12.5 lb.

quote:

smart IMO

Yeah, I tried following some videos but I was pretty lost and the pacing was weird. I’m down to watch videos in what not to do, but I’d rather start right at square one.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Pollyanna posted:

Not too much, it’s got a reasonable amount of heft. A little less heavy than my cat, who’s about 12.5 lb.

Yeah, I tried following some videos but I was pretty lost and the pacing was weird. I’m down to watch videos in what not to do, but I’d rather start right at square one.

if you're in a major metro area like boston a good teacher is 100% the move. i had to self-teach because i grew up in the sticks lol.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nice.

The endorsed artists page is pretty special. The only dude I recognised just did a track with GuitarMAX.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Nice.

The endorsed artists page is pretty special. The only dude I recognised just did a track with GuitarMAX.

Yeah. I just looked and that page is amazing; everyone should go look, some of the names with the bad graphics are the best:
http://www.guitarheads.net/features/artists/artists.html

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I like Mike Stone looking way out of place in a burgundy T-shirt. Kinda looks like the guy from the "worst person you know" meme.

(Apparently he's in Queensryche, so just got caught in his casuals.)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I clicked the link to "Bridges" under the Products section and some lorem ipsum-style text about dick pills comes up, lol

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Wow, the Guitar Heads eBay store has some of the worst looking (presumably) bootleg guitar stuff I've seen in a while.

Question: how much do you like Mick Mars?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193699816491?hash=item2d1968a42b:g:FAsAAOSwra9ffRHI

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh my god I want a chrome pickguard with a giant version of that engraved on it.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

This is some of that good guitar poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG5X_y_bGU0

Medium Build - Rage - Live in a back yard.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Good grief.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

former glory posted:

This is some of that good guitar poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG5X_y_bGU0

Medium Build - Rage - Live in a back yard.

The stank face is real with this guy, not bad though!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I like it.

edit: the commitment to the Jazz Chorus life is commendable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGqzaGKzZmk

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh also I just got a Eventide Rose for $220. They are super cool imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRyKmSZpB2U