Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Iron Rose posted:

My family’s subsistence farming was in my mother’s time thank heavens, but I assure you the poverty and lack of opportunity transcends generations. My mother’s shared stories enough to know that it’s no life I would ever desire. I am profoundly grateful she got out thanks to the magic of scholarships, but even being in the proximity of home is something I like to do every few years at most. PEI might be lovely to visit, and the people can be great, but I’m glad to be a thousand and change kilometres away.

While I’m on the subject, poor small towns are horrors. Just seething dens of abuse, invest, violence, alcoholism, and useless or complicit police. while I’ve never suffered a truly rural existence, I can only imagine it’s ever the worse.

Give me an urban existence any day. Cities are by no means a paradise but at least there’s diversity and the opportunity to escape circumstance.

Pretty sure the last time someone stated the (objectively truthful and accurate) idea that small towns aren't actually that great it created a firestorm in the thread with all kinds of small town defenders coming out of the woodwork, so uh, good luck we're all counting on you*.

*tokin, this is a reference to an ancient film called Airplane! which was created a hundred years before you were born, it's pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

If I ever have to say "kubernetes" in front of real tech people I'm done for.

To this day I refuse to believe something with such a ridiculous name exists. Impossible.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress farming, I grew up having to work on my oma's farm. I want to become a hermit living in the woods in a remote spot on the BC coast. I really do like cybersecurity but if I could afford it I'd quit tomorrow and never work in IT ever again.

Like Ted kazinksi?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm from a small farm town and absolutely echo Iron Rose :smith: Living in a city has been so good for me, immersing me in diversity and culture and food and expanding my horizons and everything, as well as allowing me to escape my small town.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I live in/grew up in culturally dead suburban sprawl and they hate both rural and city types (and basically everything that’s not exactly the same as them, generally speaking).

At least the internet is good!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tehinternet posted:

At least the internet is good!

is it though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

give me a shack in the woods that's two hours away from a costo so I can stock up once a month

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this entire thread should go in on a commune

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CLAM DOWN posted:

is it though

I mean 1.2gbps is alright

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

CLAM DOWN posted:

:gooncamp: 2.0

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I grew up in extreme poverty in a very rural area. A place where road access and mail were not taken for granted as it would often both be unavailable. There is no amount of money bringing me back to that.

There is a part of me that wants to live lakeside of one of my favorite fisheries as my ultimate bucket list item. But I can’t have that and have luxury like fiber internet and convenient grocery shopping. So gently caress that too.

Instead I will settle for a quiet suburb where I can conventionally walk to a snobby grocery store and dining.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem I see with city folk wanting to get a rural escape is they gently caress up the taxes so locals can't afford it anymore or find a random hill and perch their garbage mansion in full view of anyone doing a nearby trail and trying to enjoy nature.

(and then get furious anytime the county doesn't plow their access road instantly)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

The problem I see with city folk wanting to get a rural escape is they gently caress up the taxes so locals can't afford it anymore or find a random hill and perch their garbage mansion in full view of anyone doing a nearby trail and trying to enjoy nature.

(and then get furious anytime the county doesn't plow their access road instantly)

gently caress yeah, I watch Yellowstone too.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I like where I am except the taxes, the traffic, and the people

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Also, buying up lands next to public lands, illegally erecting gates or fencing that closes off access, then drawing out any request to get rid of same for years and years in court. Then, at the end, bribing a politician to change the law.

Optionally, just bribe the sheriff from the start to arrest people for 'trespassing' on public land.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

You kill the head guy with a rattlesnake in a cooler too!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had this plan with some friends years ago.

Much like goon projects, it went nowhere.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

CLAM DOWN posted:

that's right. the only commune where the humans smell worse than the goats

jaegerx posted:

Like Ted kazinksi?

yeah, but also with growing weed and apples

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cross-posting this from yospos:

what is considered the standard for enterprise wifi these days? is it still certificate-based 802.1x managed by radius with adfs issuing the certs? do any companies have any interesting alternatives to that model? in particular, the adfs component of it? how is azure ad as an adfs replacement for x.509 certs?

its been a while since ive had to do any wireless networking poo poo and im curious what this landscape looks like these days

i found this, which looks very interesting. i was never a super strong windows admin, but especially never liked working with adfs. anyone have any experience with this in particular? https://redmondmag.com/articles/2022/02/14/azure-active-directory-certificate-based-authentication-preview.aspx

someone in the yospos thread mentioned aruba having a pretty nice cloud-managed system for enrollment, but it is also $$$

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Pretty sure the last time someone stated the (objectively truthful and accurate) idea that small towns aren't actually that great it created a firestorm in the thread with all kinds of small town defenders coming out of the woodwork, so uh, good luck we're all counting on you*.

*tokin, this is a reference to an ancient film called Airplane! which was created a hundred years before you were born, it's pretty good

what's a film, is it like a TikTok?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Crucio

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

:golfclap:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tokin opposition posted:

You know when someone does a compilation of all their TikToks? It's kinda like that with the exception of being completely different.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

clammy I lied, I don't want the plushy anymore, I want this https://musksmind.com/products/elon-musk-best-tweets-book

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Oh, I studied Latin too. Mama Mia, pizza pie! Digorno spaghetti

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Oh, I studied Latin too. Mama Mia, pizza pie! Digorno spaghetti

I figured as young as you are you'd recognize the spell from Harry Potter.

yes she's an awful terf but the video game is really fun.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 5, 2023

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

jaegerx posted:

the funniest thing about that whole saga is that there’s a proper crack for it, and the cracker is an insane Russian fascist nationalist who wants to kill all the gays, and decided to crack the game as a “tribute” to She Who Must Not Be Named, and genuinely seems to think that Queen Terf will honour and respect her as a fellow bathroom warrior for this feat.

I for one highly encourage pirating what is a depressingly excellent game, and encourage Empress to continue cracking TERF associated products. As tribute, of course.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

It does truly suck cause the game is so loving good.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

i was 12 when the last book came out, and while i did read the series as a kid I don't have the strong nostalgia millennials* have

*nobody seems to agree if i'm a zoomer or a millennial so I decided i was a zoomer because one of my earliest memories is computer

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Iron Rose posted:

the funniest thing about that whole saga is that there’s a proper crack for it, and the cracker is an insane Russian fascist nationalist who wants to kill all the gays, and decided to crack the game as a “tribute” to She Who Must Not Be Named, and genuinely seems to think that Queen Terf will honour and respect her as a fellow bathroom warrior for this feat.

I for one highly encourage pirating what is a depressingly excellent game, and encourage Empress to continue cracking TERF associated products. As tribute, of course.

lol I didn't realize she was a terf

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

i was 12 when the last book came out, and while i did read the series as a kid I don't have the strong nostalgia millennials* have

*nobody seems to agree if i'm a zoomer or a millennial so I decided i was a zoomer because one of my earliest memories is computer

Ay yo I’m an elder millennial (mid 80s) and my earliest memory is of a computer too

Playing monkey island 2

Game still owns

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I remember my pops letting me sit on his lap and play Doom 2 not long after it came out and we bought our first PC.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tehinternet posted:

Ay yo I’m an elder millennial (mid 80s) and my earliest memory is of a computer too

Playing monkey island 2

Game still owns

its spelled "eldar"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Blurb3947 posted:

I remember my pops letting me sit on his lap and play Doom 2 not long after it came out and we bought our first PC.

*Doom eternal

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

lol I didn't realize she was a terf

and she has explicitly said that proceeds from the harry potter ip get funneled into her political causes

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The game sucked. You want to be a fun slinging wizard? Play Elden Ring.

Lame story, 1 dimensional characters just waiting for their quarter to spit out their lines. Tons of collection mini games that are pretty boring and padding it all out, and combat that ended up being very underwhelming considering the magic and combo’s potential.

gently caress a Harry Potter game.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Fool posted:

and she has explicitly said that proceeds from the harry potter ip get funneled into her political causes

i was talking about the crack maker, empress lol

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

post hole digger posted:

cross-posting this from yospos:

what is considered the standard for enterprise wifi these days? is it still certificate-based 802.1x managed by radius with adfs issuing the certs? do any companies have any interesting alternatives to that model? in particular, the adfs component of it? how is azure ad as an adfs replacement for x.509 certs?

its been a while since ive had to do any wireless networking poo poo and im curious what this landscape looks like these days

i found this, which looks very interesting. i was never a super strong windows admin, but especially never liked working with adfs. anyone have any experience with this in particular? https://redmondmag.com/articles/2022/02/14/azure-active-directory-certificate-based-authentication-preview.aspx

someone in the yospos thread mentioned aruba having a pretty nice cloud-managed system for enrollment, but it is also $$$

Beside the aruba clearpass/central option i mentioned, you could either set up a azure active directory services (adds) instance and point them at your controllers, pay a service like secure-w2 to offer radius/ldaps or do a makeshift solution like https://tech.nicolonsky.ch/radius-aad-joined-devices/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Omg I saw that, what the hell, that cracker is absolutely insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tokin opposition posted:

this is funny because we are the same age and yet I am 100% a not a zoomer lmao. I actually used dial up, I’ve seen Airplane!, and I have no social media accounts. Dead gay comedy forums don’t count.

tokin opposition posted:

i was talking about the crack maker, empress lol

to be fair, trans exclusive empress may be, but a radical feminist she is not! Either way, my “no financial support for transphobes” policy remains unbroken.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 5, 2023