Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I was of the same belief until last year, when we had a guy from Kawasaki robotics at work and he was all like "nah, motorcycles are like a really important business for us" (he was a little jealous because of the P&E division getting in his mind "way more resources").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here's something you don't see every day

1995 Yamaha zeal 250. Very strange bike even by JDM standards.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Here's something you don't see every day

1995 Yamaha zeal 250. Very strange bike even by JDM standards.

that almost looks like a cross between a BMW F650 and a VMAX - you're right, very strange. 250cc inline 4?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The side styling is frankly ahead of its time but that gauge cluster could have come out of the 70s, what is going on

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah it is, it amounts to a pseudo cafe, naked fzr250.

All the competing models like bandit 250, hornet 250 etc have monoshocks and a much more conventional appearance. Very strange bike, weird in that particularly Yamaha way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:hmmyes:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

that gauge cluster could have come out of the 70s
That gauge cluster looks almost identical to my 1997 Honda’s.

… ok, yeah, you’re not wrong. :sweatdrop:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

I bet there's more than zero people that use "KTM" to generically refer to a dirt bike like calling any soda a Coke

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Some slides i made of bikes at the Assen TT around 2020. This was the parking lot. Hundreds of bikes. I didn't go see the races myself, because A. i was walking around in leathers in the blazing sun and B. it was pretty drat expensive. But it was nice to check out all the cool bikes you don't always see on the streets.
The slide film i used couldn't quite cope with the extremely bright sunlight - AgfaPhoto CT Precisa. Old fuji stock, or so i've heard. I've had better pictures with actual Fuji Sensia.

https://i.imgur.com/iwwsvsr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i3EbUmA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rxpdVe2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7gD4hgl.jpg
I love those early YZF-R1s and R6s.

If you want them in poster-size resolution, use the URLs. They're huge, about 5000px wide.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 1, 2023

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
loving dope. This might sound odd, but I'm really into how it captured the color and texture of the dry grass. It creates a great contrast with the bikes themselves.

My partner does film photography and at least 1/3 of the reason I'm excited about her getting into motorcycling is how much she's going to enjoy taking pictures like this in a couple years when the hooks are in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rquriuSAcW1r0uzl6.mp4

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
If we're posting videos, I thought this was neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuQxctEQhLA

Also, watching motorcycle crash compilations on youtube might not be great for my sanity.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

T Zero posted:

If we're posting videos, I thought this was neat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuQxctEQhLA

Also, watching motorcycle crash compilations on youtube might not be great for my sanity.

Watching motorcycle crash videos, makes you realize just how many of those crashes are the fault of the motorcyclists themselves. It's way too many.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's the vast majority even when a car is 'at fault' legally

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There are very few instances in those videos where a rider genuinely gets their poo poo pushed in out of nowhere with no fault of their own.
Usually an American or Russian intersection, a Chinese garbage truck, or some random environmental poo poo

The other 99%? Horrible morons that have me cringing way before they inevitably crash. I do not understand how people can get on a motorcycle and not treat it with the respect its operation probably demands. Why?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is there a new No prisoners!!! Yet? Seems he stopped in mid 2022

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
You get told over and over that motorcycling is so dangerous, all this rage against cagers, and then you see these videos and realize so many riders have more horsepower than brains, making big, dumb, obvious mistakes. Even when a car driver is at fault, it's not even worth getting mad about -- no one changes their mind when you yell at them or rev bomb. The best way to get back at a driver almost ruining your day is to continue to have a relaxed and fun ride.

At the same time, I remember that I can be dumb sometimes too, and poo poo can go sideways pretty fast. Keeps me humble.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This was peak R1/R6, it was all downhill from here

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

T Zero posted:

You get told over and over that motorcycling is so dangerous, all this rage against cagers, and then you see these videos and realize so many riders have more horsepower than brains, making big, dumb, obvious mistakes. Even when a car driver is at fault, it's not even worth getting mad about -- no one changes their mind when you yell at them or rev bomb. The best way to get back at a driver almost ruining your day is to continue to have a relaxed and fun ride.

At the same time, I remember that I can be dumb sometimes too, and poo poo can go sideways pretty fast. Keeps me humble.

There are stats about it in my country. 90% of accidents with bikes are with just one bike involved, usually related to overconfidence and too high a speed.
The remaining 10% involves a car and a bike - 9% is caused by the car driver, 1% by the motorcyclist.

Thanks to this, i only pay €7,50 a month in liability because it's so rare that the insurance company has to pay out damages to a car. A rider wiping out by himself pays everything himself, a biker getting hit by a car - car drivers' insurance pays.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Geekboy posted:

loving dope. This might sound odd, but I'm really into how it captured the color and texture of the dry grass. It creates a great contrast with the bikes themselves.

My partner does film photography and at least 1/3 of the reason I'm excited about her getting into motorcycling is how much she's going to enjoy taking pictures like this in a couple years when the hooks are in.

They're even better when you actually project them on a screen. Slide film is absolutely ruthless exposure wise, but beautiful when projected.
I have one roll of Velvia 50 in 120 format sitting in the freezer. I should defrost it soon. It's the exact film the Windows XP default background was shot on.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LimaBiker posted:

Some slides i made of bikes at the Assen TT around 2020. This was the parking lot. Hundreds of bikes. I didn't go see the races myself, because A. i was walking around in leathers in the blazing sun and B. it was pretty drat expensive. But it was nice to check out all the cool bikes you don't always see on the streets.
The slide film i used couldn't quite cope with the extremely bright sunlight - AgfaPhoto CT Precisa. Old fuji stock, or so i've heard. I've had better pictures with actual Fuji Sensia.

https://i.imgur.com/iwwsvsr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i3EbUmA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rxpdVe2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7gD4hgl.jpg
I love those early YZF-R1s and R6s.

If you want them in poster-size resolution, use the URLs. They're huge, about 5000px wide.

pictures like these make it seem like all that's really changed since the 70s is cameras (and that's pretty neat to think about)

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The guys in the service department appreciated my Psychomania t-shirt, which seemed appropriate for the occasion.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Thaaaat's what it looks like before it's outdoors for more than a week.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Remy Marathe posted:

Thaaaat's what it looks like before it's outdoors for more than a week.

My other tab was already me looking at cleaning/protection for aaaaall that chrome.

I plan on riding the tires off it, but it will definitely sleep in the garage at night.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

My other tab was already me looking at cleaning/protection for aaaaall that chrome.

I plan on riding the tires off it, but it will definitely sleep in the garage at night.
https://www.s100.com/portfolio/s100-care-set/

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Awesome bike!

S100 is really good stuff. Best way to keep things clean (for the psychos like me who care) is little bits at a time vs the once-every-two-years full detailing when you're scraping 2 years of brake dust off the spokes. Brand new clean towels only when touching chrome.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I clean my chrome with a strong degreaser and garden hose once a year.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Car drivers always trying to kill motorcyclists, smh

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

That car stopped out of nowhere. There was nothing I could do. You’ve gotta ride like you’re invisible. Loud pipes save lives. You don’t need gear if you never crash. Next time I’ll be ready and I’ll lay her down.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That post is just blank for me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I suspect the motorcyclist was also looking at the doggo and got distracted.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Slavvy posted:

That post is just blank for me

Same, quote it for link to a good dog, using the crosswalk even

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Watched it on my phone first and was going to say it looked like the rider had footwear that stayed on but no, on second watch, a shoe goes flying off towards that parked car. Every drat time with these videos

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Only a 7 from the Russian judge...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Watched it on my phone first and was going to say it looked like the rider had footwear that stayed on but no, on second watch, a shoe goes flying off towards that parked car. Every drat time with these videos

Lol fucken this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A 3 legged doggo at that. Definitely a traffic stopper

E:both shoes come off. One right behind the car, one to the left by the parked car

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 6, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That was Austin Powers level bad

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E:both shoes come off. One right behind the car, one to the left by the parked car
Achievement unlocked!

Snow still on the mountaintops but highs in the low 70s, wildflowers are just about to come in, perfect riding weather lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
extremely blessed ^^^^

I got a few cold dusty rides in last week and I'm grateful for it but winter's coming back hard. More than a foot of snow and temps down to -15C expected in the next few days here :smith: