Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Martman posted:

I dunno if you're not getting far enough in phase 2, but that fight introduces the Divine Beast mechanic. when that gauge fills up and you get to use the divine beast attack the first time it just instantly ends the fight with a cutscene.
Wo Long:
I won't bother spoiling this because it's really poorly telegraphed/shown: halfway through phase 2 (ie 50% health) a tooltip on the right will tell you to hit Y+B. Most other tips bring a thing up on screen and pause the game but not this. This ends the fight. You don't need to fully kill the boss, I think if you can "super hit" the boss twice by breaking spirit then it should be right around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Zachack posted:

Wo Long:
I won't bother spoiling this because it's really poorly telegraphed/shown: halfway through phase 2 (ie 50% health) a tooltip on the right will tell you to hit Y+B. Most other tips bring a thing up on screen and pause the game but not this. This ends the fight. You don't need to fully kill the boss, I think if you can "super hit" the boss twice by breaking spirit then it should be right around there.

Yeah I’d seen this, though I can’t even get close to that point in phase two. Kinda funny that on the phase transition, your companion yells “THAT JADE WILL HELP YOU DEFEAT HIM”, but it doesn’t tell you what that jade is, where you can find it, or how it will help :v:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Martman posted:

I may need to learn more of the mechanics, but early in Wo Long I wasn't seeing a way to cancel out of really slow attacks. So fast attacking weapons immediately made enemies way easier, much less risk of overcommitment when spamming attacks between parries.

isn't "cannot cancel out of really slow attacks" literally the thing that makes a game a souls game

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

isn't "cannot cancel out of really slow attacks" literally the thing that makes a game a souls game
I guess, idk. but this is obviously taking cues from Sekiro as well, where you never have to worry about slower weapons when parrying. It just seems like the emphasis on that mechanic makes the big slow weapons feel a lot more dangerous to use

so far it feels like you can bully the hell out of just about every enemy like in Sekiro with unrelenting assault as long as you don't just facetank their critical hits

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 3, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I served with Sekiro. I knew Sekiro. Sekiro was a friend of mine. Wo Long, you're no Sekiro.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

webmeister posted:

Yeah I’d seen this, though I can’t even get close to that point in phase two. Kinda funny that on the phase transition, your companion yells “THAT JADE WILL HELP YOU DEFEAT HIM”, but it doesn’t tell you what that jade is, where you can find it, or how it will help :v:

Another thing the game doesn't really tell you is that Moral gives you big-time buffs. Go farm the 4 soldiers and tiger by the second flag until you get moral to 25. Makes the boss much easier.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just finished Paradise Killer after a few sittings. That was good poo poo.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycGWeBoJFnA

Big fan of the original Dead Island, this looks like it could be a lot of fun. Love the gory effects.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I liked Dead Island more than Dying Light. DL2 was kind of a let down for me. It ran well but it had wayyyyyyyu too much exposition for a Zombie Parkour game

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Dying Light 2’s character models were so bizarre to me. The bodies looked extremely normal/realistic and then the faces were cartoonishly over-expressive, like you put the head of a Borderlands character on a standard human NPC model. Rosario Dawson over-emoting a grimace every time the player character was talking was… hard to take as seriously as the game seemed to want me to.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The future is bright

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1632014696936087552?s=20

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Another epic Xbox win.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hmmm my xbox is telling me Guilty Gear Strive is coming out on Game Pass on 3/6? When did this get announced?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Hmmm my xbox is telling me Guilty Gear Strive is coming out on Game Pass on 3/6? When did this get announced?

???

!!!

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/guilty-gear-strive/9mzdl6l34kf2

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Yesterday I think.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Back in September, but without a specific release date beyond "Spring 2023". BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle is also coming at some point this spring.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Back in September, but without a specific release date beyond "Spring 2023". BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle is also coming at some point this spring.

Thank you. Phil is #1

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
K after more time with Wo Long I think I like it. The first boss fight was really hard but lots of fun and it felt good figuring it out. They throw a ton of systems at you right from the start though, once I went back and read the tutorial stuff about how spirit works it made the fight a lot easier to figure out.

The English VA is god awful though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tried to play Recore. It starts okay, gets super repetitive and goes downhill fast. I repeatedly lost progress to bugs and glitches (getting stuck in levels, doors not activating after I beat all the enemies), and the platforming bot seems fun but with the lovely FoV it's super janky and frustrating - and then after some extended platforming part which I absolutely hated, I reach the transition to the next area with it and immediately tried to check in at the save/fast travel bot - except at this point it's actually a single-direction "return to the other side of the map you just came from" teleport without so much as a confirmation prompt. gently caress off.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was having a lot of fun with it until I encountered a 37 switch logic puzzle that was impossible to brute force.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

American McGay posted:

I was having a lot of fun with it until I encountered a 37 switch logic puzzle that was impossible to brute force.
are you thinking of Recompile, or does Recore have those too

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh yeah lol

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

orcane posted:

Tried to play Recore. It starts okay, gets super repetitive and goes downhill fast. I repeatedly lost progress to bugs and glitches (getting stuck in levels, doors not activating after I beat all the enemies), and the platforming bot seems fun but with the lovely FoV it's super janky and frustrating - and then after some extended platforming part which I absolutely hated, I reach the transition to the next area with it and immediately tried to check in at the save/fast travel bot - except at this point it's actually a single-direction "return to the other side of the map you just came from" teleport without so much as a confirmation prompt. gently caress off.

I tried it too for some punch card achievements. It was pretty fun and I might go back to it but I need to get back to Atomic Heart. I am enjoying it because it's pushing all the right Bioshock buttons but drat, that's a horny fridge.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

That kicks rear end. I want a series X espresso machine next.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
Atomic Heart looks great but drat it's tedious. Almost uninstalled that poo poo after the part where you have to get a train ticket. I hate when games are purposefully annoying.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

DR AIDS posted:

Atomic Heart looks great but drat it's tedious. Almost uninstalled that poo poo after the part where you have to get a train ticket. I hate when games are purposefully annoying.

So many multi stage annoyance quests like that. I think I'm about halfway through the game, but I think I'm done. After my last mission (and second boss fight, so maybe not even halfway through the game), I'm now getting sent across the map again with the respawning enemies and I just don't have the energy for that. The shooting isn't the worst. The story could be sorta fun to play through, if I could follow it, but there is so much loving talking that my brain shuts off. I'm not one to rage about bad writing, but crispy loving critters, I just want everyone to edit themselves down.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I still have no clue what they were thinking with those puzzles. the rest of the game was fine, maybe not great, but those were a complete turd. I did brute force them, they seemed like nonsense to actually think through

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

tensai posted:

So many multi stage annoyance quests like that. I think I'm about halfway through the game, but I think I'm done. After my last mission (and second boss fight, so maybe not even halfway through the game), I'm now getting sent across the map again with the respawning enemies and I just don't have the energy for that. The shooting isn't the worst. The story could be sorta fun to play through, if I could follow it, but there is so much loving talking that my brain shuts off. I'm not one to rage about bad writing, but crispy loving critters, I just want everyone to edit themselves down.

Yeah these multi stage tasks really are starting wear. I also die a lot. Maybe I’ll bump it down to easy.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My housemate has been playing Atomic Heart and my takeaway is that they wanted to make mini games but needed a way to connect them, hence the rest of the game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycGWeBoJFnA

Big fan of the original Dead Island, this looks like it could be a lot of fun. Love the gory effects.

Dead Island but its no longer an island.

Not sure how I feel about zombies with health bars though

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I clicked randomly at the video timeline and landed on "...and thanks to our flesh system"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
finished signalis...... epic. time for Asuras Wrath only on Xbox bc.... my god what a console

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Wo Long lookin’ real rough on a Series S.

Does it kinda look like poo poo on a X?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Fartington Butts posted:

kinda looks not great on pc gamepass imo, not my kind of game anyway but I was curious.

I haven't messed with the settings though

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Fartington Butts posted:

My cousin was complaining that he thought the graphics sucked on his PS5. It looks fine to me but I dunno I'm not picky as long as stuff is 60fps.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm stuck in Atomic Heart on some bio enemy ripped right out of Prey Plyusch I think it's because I can't figure out how to use canisters. I've unlocked them for a handgun and a melee weapon, i buy fire/ice/electric cartriges and put them in my inventory, but when I use the radial menu there's no way to apply it or enable it. Walkthroughs show you can hit RT to show a submenu when selecting a weapon, but my submenu just shows the same weapons as the first menu. wtf am I doing wrong?

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 5, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fartington Butts posted:

It's not a visually impressive game, no.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like half an hour in and Asuras Wrath already Pwns. how did I miss this when it came out

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm stuck in Atomic Heart on some bio enemy ripped right out of Prey Plyusch I think it's because I can't figure out how to use canisters. I've unlocked them for a handgun and a melee weapon, i buy fire/ice/electric cartriges and put them in my inventory, but when I use the radial menu there's no way to apply it or enable it. Walkthroughs show you can hit RT to show a submenu when selecting a weapon, but my submenu just shows the same weapons as the first menu. wtf am I doing wrong?

You have to click the hexagon shape. It should be the bottom one. I used fire melee on the guy and it wasn't too bad.

e: on the radial menu i mean

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Wiltsghost posted:

You have to click the hexagon shape. It should be the bottom one. I used fire melee on the guy and it wasn't too bad.

oh my god thank you. Not even chatGPT was explaining it fully. I thought that icon meant you put your weapons away or something, what the christ.