Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The first of the USAF E-3s to be retired will be making its way to the boneyard in about a month. Followed over the next several months by a couple dozen stablemates, roughly half the fleet gone over the course of a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Huh, I thought the the E-7 won’t be in service for years.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

That E-7 order is desperation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/NTSB_Newsroom/status/1632016814011039744

Oof.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Crazy Raptor Man is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ya-W2M2lA

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Humphreys posted:

I got sent this with no reference except "Thats day 1 done. Big wall of fire"

Avalon airshow display...? That's on this weekend.

Edit: Yep... last event on the program.

quote:

21:06 ______ Wall of Fire and Fireworks ______ 'Better than New Year's Eve!'

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 5, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So his answer to severe design flaws in the powerplant of his prototype is to *checks notes* Turn it into a tilting-fan powered lift aircraft.

:stonklol:

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

MrYenko posted:

So his answer to severe design flaws in the powerplant of his prototype is to *checks notes* Turn it into a tilting-fan powered lift aircraft.

:stonklol:

It's so stupid it *has* to work!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Apparently it's going to cost the better part of $6m to get Elvis' jet flightworthy again.

Given that it uses 4x JT12, he could recoup a decent amount using it as a multi-engine trainer. But they don't make hush kits for the Jetstar so it might be impossible to get certified because it's too loud otherwise.

Even if you found four engines that'd work, the FAA would happily slap an "EXPERIMENTAL" on there and you might as well just burn your money at that point.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 5, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

is this guy a marine

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

MrYenko posted:

That E-7 order is desperation.

Googled one and boy those aren't nearly as fun looking/iconic. Weird as hell though. Hell of an rear end on that plane.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

That's a neat looking death trap he's designing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warbird posted:

Googled one and boy those aren't nearly as fun looking/iconic. Weird as hell though. Hell of an rear end on that plane.

Its weird that we’re back to :manning: for vehicles with giant AESA radars.

For example the scan far on the Long Beach…

This is the best Boeing can do on their marketing sites:

They do some… airbrushing on their marketing silhouettes

edit:
I bet Japan’s E-767 is way nicer to fly and work in but wedgetails are in production and “combat” 737NGs are a thing with the P-8 so here we are.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 5, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Its weird that we’re back to :manning: for vehicles with giant AESA radars.

This looks pretty good and has three fixed AESA arrays. Never mind the droopy nose sensor.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

For example the scan far on the Long Beach…

:swoon:

Long Beach is the last truly beautiful warship we built. The Burkes are good looking, but pale in comparison.

Tell me I’m wrong.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I hadn’t heard of the E-10A program before, it was supposed to be an AWACS+JSTARS+River Joint on the 767 platform. Except… they wanted all three at the same time. This sounded ill advised to the EE part of my brain and I stumbled on this nifty systems engineering case study on the program.

https://scholar.afit.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1028&context=docs#page34

quote:

In summary, the E-10A program was an ambitious program. Perhaps it was too ambitious. The concept of incorporating three missions on one platform may have led to its demise. The physics of generating high energy radar (MP-RTIP) from an airborne platform that was also performing a critical signal listening (SIGINT) mission had never been demonstrated. The program was terminated in 2006 for more pressing Service priorities. Although there was ample support and involvement from the direct customer, ACC, all stakeholders and decision makers (OSD) didn‟t necessarily agree on the scope of the E-10 program.
Those aircraft the E-10A was to replace continue to age and the mission and roles the E-10A was to fill remain. The E-10A had a major data integration and dissemination role of ingesting data from many sources including Global Hawks and fusing those data making a wide range of data products available to the enterprise. It will be interesting to see as the GMTI Initial Capabilities Document and GMTI analyses of alternatives evolve at ACC whether this concept of an airborne element performing this function is a requirement of the next generation system.

The project did not even make it to fancy render stage so all we have is stuff like:

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 5, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The physics of generating high energy radar (MP-RTIP) from an airborne platform that was also performing a critical signal listening (SIGINT) mission had never been demonstrated.

Lmfao.

I imagine this as the AWACS guys in the front half of the plane and the spooks in the back and they're constantly furious at each other on every mission, tripping each other in the aisle, unplugging each other's computers, stinking up each other's lavs

brains
May 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I hadn’t heard of the E-10A program before, it was supposed to be an AWACS+JSTARS+River Joint on the 767 platform. Except… they wanted all three at the same time. This sounded ill advised to the EE part of my brain and I stumbled on this nifty systems engineering case study on the program.
the E-10 was 100% the result of some big brain genius in a five-sided office realizing the mission description of three platforms that needed replacing all had the word "surveillance" in it and thinking he had struck gold

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Lmfao.

I imagine this as the AWACS guys in the front half of the plane and the spooks in the back and they're constantly furious at each other on every mission, tripping each other in the aisle, unplugging each other's computers, stinking up each other's lavs

Every mission is just constantly a 70s/80s school comedy where the radar guys wait for the rivet joint team to start listening and then blast Never gonna give you upSail.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

He wants to replace cabin pressurization with an nitrogen scrubber. :wtc:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Famously reactive gas, nitrogen.

Very easy to remove from the air, which is why the 1918 Nobel Prize for Chemistry was awarded to history’s most evil chemist for doing so.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

quote:

Peter, as someone currently working at a company of hundreds of engineers towards certification of a Part 23 eVTOL aircraft, calling this project wildly ambitious is an understatement. I admire your ambition and courage to put this out there, but there is quite a lot to design what you are proposing. Control and stability from hover through transition, with the ability to continue safe flight with an engine, thruster, hydraulic system, or tilt/pitch control actuator is not a trivial add on, it is intrinsic to the design and architecture of the vehicle. There is a reason the number of vertical thrusters are not less than six, and many in the industry question if 6 is enough or optimal. The electric motors, controllers and batteries are significant certification programs. The vehicle architecture needs to consider avionics and power lane failures and continued safe flight. Software certification is a significant fraction of the program, and it starts from square one. Using a series hybrid approach for cruise power gives up a significant amount of power to conversation losses. The propulsive efficiency of a propeller is not so bad to explain your hypothesized performance gains. If it's possible to get 1500 lb static thrust from your electric thrusters, the power to do so must be obscenely high. There is a significant benefit to using longer wings.. get out of the mindset that there is an advantage to pulling this into a "standard" 2 car garage, of which a 20' door is getting pretty big. I have serious doubts that any automotive manufacturer would have interest in manufacturing an aircraft, aerospace quality systems are not at all in alignment with automotive.

I'd strongly consider building an experimental prototype first before starting certification efforts and to design and build for conventional takeoff and landing at least at first. Build an experimental prototype that validates the climb and cruise performance using the ducted fans after completing a ground test series of powerplant prototypes. In addition, the stability and control of Raptor 1 was somewhat questionable and needs work with a test pilot to get acceptable handling qualities before it could reasonably be handed off to an average pilot.

I wish you the best of luck, and truly enjoy seeing your videos developing the raptor.

Pretty sure he's just like Galileo or de Vinci and he's just being oppressed and held down from making a breakthrough. What do these guys know, with all their degrees and stuff. :colbert:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Everyone seems to be ignoring that THIS COULD BE GREAT

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

Pretty sure he's just like Galileo or de Vinci and he's just being oppressed and held down from making a breakthrough. What do these guys know, with all their degrees and stuff. :colbert:

Somebody keeps throwing money at him. Guess I should just start building crazy crap. Flying electric bicycle boat anyone?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Salami Surgeon posted:

Everyone seems to be ignoring that THIS COULD BE A GREAT BIG SMOKING CRATER

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

slidebite posted:

From the comments:

"This is a ground breaking design for a general aviation airplane."

If it flies and he can get enough altitude, I'm sure it will be "ground breaking."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Salami Surgeon posted:

Everyone seems to be ignoring that THIS COULD BE GREAT

uh-huh

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Final glide can be quite long if you have the speed.

Long glider lowpass - Barely making it to the airfield

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Apparently it's going to cost the better part of $6m to get Elvis' jet flightworthy again.

Given that it uses 4x JT12, he could recoup a decent amount using it as a multi-engine trainer. But they don't make hush kits for the Jetstar so it might be impossible to get certified because it's too loud otherwise.

Even if you found four engines that'd work, the FAA would happily slap an "EXPERIMENTAL" on there and you might as well just burn your money at that point.

You can re-engine a Jetstar with 4 TFE731s which would make it way quieter and maybe slightly less thirsty. Might be worth it if you're gonna put that much cash into getting that airplane airworthy again

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

It won't.

hobbesmaster posted:

edit:
I bet Japan’s E-767 is way nicer to fly and work in but wedgetails are in production and “combat” 737NGs are a thing with the P-8 so here we are.

The E-767 uses the E-3's mission systems, so JASDF is probably looking at replacement options. These jets just went through a major systems upgrade, which I assume is similar to the Block 40/45 upgrade the US E-3s went through, starting about 15 years ago. I haven't seen any useful details, but that would make sense.

brains posted:

the E-10 was 100% the result of some big brain genius in a five-sided office realizing the mission description of three platforms that needed replacing all had the word "surveillance" in it and thinking he had struck gold

That's exactly what it was. The E-10's early death was a good one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

From the comments:

"This is a ground breaking design for a general aviation airplane."

If it flies and he can get enough altitude, I'm sure it will be "ground breaking."

I dunno, the ground is pretty resilient.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The Raptor guy sorta reminds me of someone I know who leaned into conspiracy theory stuff including flat Earth a few years back. His idea to find out if flat Earth was true was to go from somewhere like Boston to the North Pole by himself with whatever supplies, mainly camera equipment, he could fit into a backpack so he could see for sure what's really there. He had no experience for that type of thing other than enjoying hikes and outdoor activities occasionally.

Like, that's great you want to try to see something yourself, but it's highly likely going to kill you and it's OK to lean on experts in that field instead.

(I told the guy just to charter a jet and have it fly whatever route he deemed to favorable to his ideas or go do that MIG-29 ride that takes you to the edge of space.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

Lmfao.

Unfortunately there is only one lav, and it is in the back of the plane, and because of security regs the front part of the plane must access it via this nifty access duct we installed

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Unfortunately there is only one lav, and it is in the back of the plane, and because of security regs the front part of the plane must access it via this nifty access duct we installed

The B-29 crew tunnel, but pneumatic like a bank drive-through.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

If you clog up the only lavatory, is that an urgency or a distress?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tune 121.5 and broadcast poo-poo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrYenko posted:

Tell me I’m wrong.

The hull is nice but that superstructure is a shoebox made from a cinderblock.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Plane watcher does a trip on a 732 solely for gravel operations at obscure airports in Northern Quebec

https://youtu.be/CDG5dscf1Lg

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Saw that goddamn thing in PopMech forty drat years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

slidebite posted:

Plane watcher does a trip on a 732 solely for gravel operations at obscure airports in Northern Quebec

https://youtu.be/CDG5dscf1Lg

FWIW, that is not a cheap flight. Like 3-4k.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 7, 2023