Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FISHMANPET posted:

I think you can "get away with" a little less ventilation if it's an electric stove, because then you've only got cooking odors and particles, but that looks gas to me, and you 100% need ventilation for a gas appliance because of the byproducts of combustion.

Whoever built my entire subdivision put in gas ranges but cheaped out on the hoods -- the fan doesn't exhaust to the outside, it just blows out through slats in the front, right back into the kitchen. I suppose it's very slightly effective at dispersing smoke in case something burns, but that's about it.

Fixing that has been on the to-do list of upgrades basically since I moved in, but it isn't on an outside wall and it would be an annoyingly big job, so there it sits. Hey, I figure it hasn't killed me yet, right? *coughs weakly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Powered Descent posted:

Whoever built my entire subdivision put in gas ranges but cheaped out on the hoods -- the fan doesn't exhaust to the outside, it just blows out through slats in the front, right back into the kitchen. I suppose it's very slightly effective at dispersing smoke in case something burns, but that's about it.

Fixing that has been on the to-do list of upgrades basically since I moved in, but it isn't on an outside wall and it would be an annoyingly big job, so there it sits. Hey, I figure it hasn't killed me yet, right? *coughs weakly*
Is there a charcoal filter in there at least or is it entirely for efficient carbon monoxide dispersion?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Leperflesh posted:

The scale of this place is hard to get till you look at this overhead shot and compare it to the houses on the right

it's like... what the gently caress was this huge warehouse doing smack in the middle of a residential block

Looks like an old stable to me. For horses. And then the residential area slowly crept in until the HOA forced the horse people to get rid of the animals. Then it was turned into a dry cleaner by day, brothel by night.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Epitope posted:

Free Solo is an ok documentary about a somewhat interesting individual/accomplishment, but the house/fridge scene is beautiful. The biggering and biggering of refrigerators such that you can just throw a 20 inch pizza box in there is absurd, but domestic americans have been frog in a pot gradual enough we hardly notice, or even think "counter depth" is puny or for poors. Now comes Honnold, bumbling his way into money and a relationship, and with it buying a house. So when they shop for a fridge, the little one seems "totally adequate" resulting in a comically undersized fridge in a carve out made for one twice it's size. The polar opposite of Uthors prospective kitchen

Fridge sizes haven't really changed much though?

Got a hell of a lot more efficient

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I wonder if the interior space hasn't grown as much (what I think that chart is showing) but the overall volume of the unit has, due to better insulation, more complex (and efficient) compressors, stuff that moves the cold air up when the freezer is on the bottom, ice and water dispensers, etc etc. My new french door fridge was definitely bigger than the old standard "freezer on top, fridge on bottom" unit that it replaced. And I had to be careful to buy a "smaller" french door, because the "standard" french door wouldn't have fit at all into our space.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what is that chart, it has two y axes and the one on the left has two labels?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

what is that chart, it has two y axes and the one on the left has two labels?

Left has one label, $. Annual energy consumption (in $) and purchase cost are close enough together they can use the same scale.

For volume, use the axis on the right side.

Having alternate y-axes on the left and right side is a common technique when you want to show related data with different values. In this case, they have "year" in common and you can see how they all vary together over time.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't understand this whole conversation. US refrigerators come in like 3 different standard exterior dimension sizes with some minor variances. This is a thing because of standard cabinet openings.

Sure, some of those standard sized ones can come in counter depth or counter depth+, the latter mostly seems to be able to accommodate for fancy reach-through drink doors or double doors. And of course there are all kinds of sizes including monstrous for fancy built ins.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Motronic posted:

I don't understand this whole conversation. US refrigerators come in like 3 different standard exterior dimension sizes with some minor variances. This is a thing because of standard cabinet openings.

Sure, some of those standard sized ones can come in counter depth or counter depth+, the latter mostly seems to be able to accommodate for fancy reach-through drink doors or double doors. And of course there are all kinds of sizes including monstrous for fancy built ins.

In that case, you would have to go to the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers to find the source of their data and see how they are measuring it.

I assume it's based on the average volume of purchased units, but I don't care enough to go look it up.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Having just gone refrigerator shopping, I disagree. I had to shop hard to find one that would fit through our doors.
GE fridge sizes

GE fridge heights alone go from 60" to 84", with a lot of stops in between.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It was a joke y'all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn-wGaM7x5c

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Having just gone refrigerator shopping, I disagree. I had to shop hard to find one that would fit through our doors.
GE fridge sizes

GE fridge heights alone go from 60" to 84", with a lot of stops in between.

My LG just died. Was under warranty for the compressor but all the repair places I called said it costs $800 in labor. And told me to never buy an LG or Samsung. It was 30 cu ft, so I ended up getting an 27 cu ft GE and a chest freezer.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Scenes from the movie as I was curious and there wasn't anyone screencapping it based on what I was searching.

It's like an apartment fridge lol.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

It's like an apartment fridge lol.

It is indeed an apartment fridge (24" x 60"-ish) in what looks to be the space for a full size 36"x70" fridge (the one to their left in the first picture) or perhaps an even larger built in or one of the extra tall boys that Arsenic is talking about.

But in general for standalones you're looking about 3 standard sizes handily illustrated here, with some variation in the fancy ones.

Like many things about building and appliances, these sizes are baked into many other aspects of layout, sheet goods, finished, goods, etc that are used in and around these appliances.

The size creeping up is either that more people are buying larger sized fridges (I'll believe it, most remodels accommodate for big boys) and/or interior volume. My much older side by side was like 24 cq ft while the new one that is exactly the same outside dimensions was more like 29 iirc. Numbers may be wrong but similar in differenece.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 3, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We wound up buying a counter-depth model because of dimensions, and I absolutely love it: nothing gets lost in the back third of the fridge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/11h4m27/new_house_has_a_pool_in_the_basement/
New house has a pool in the basement

I'm assuming a link to an imgur somebody else created doesn't count as image leeching?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm assuming a link to an imgur somebody else created doesn't count as image leeching?

Nah, imgur is fine. The only real issue these days is direct linking zillow and such.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SpartanIvy posted:

I'd definitely check for a secret meth lab built under it.

Not me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQNI7q6ABnc&t=72s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Splicer posted:

Is there a charcoal filter in there at least or is it entirely for efficient carbon monoxide dispersion?

Huh, never even knew that was a thing. Went and looked and there are little clips around the fan intake where presumably a filter is supposed to go. Took some measurements and just ordered one that should fit for like ten bucks. Thanks bud, you've made my construction a little less crappy! :hfive:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Huh, never even knew that was a thing. Went and looked and there are little clips around the fan intake where presumably a filter is supposed to go. Took some measurements and just ordered one that should fit for like ten bucks. Thanks bud, you've made my construction a little less crappy! :hfive:

Yeah, that filter is also designed to trap vaporized oil, so it needs to be cleaned now and then.

Its main function is just to clear the area above the stove of vapor/smoke so you can see what you're doing.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We wound up buying a counter-depth model because of dimensions, and I absolutely love it: nothing gets lost in the back third of the fridge.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovement/comments/11h4m27/new_house_has_a_pool_in_the_basement/
New house has a pool in the basement

They put the pool in to distract from the joist that is splintering right in the middle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress yeah death stairs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

This is the silliest trend. If you don't put in a handrail then people feel the need to brace themselves are just going to leave hand smudges all over your wall.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OP says that they’re going to put in railings.

The anklebreaker risers stay. They got those specifically approved.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How are those risers ankle-breakers?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FISHMANPET posted:

I think you can "get away with" a little less ventilation if it's an electric stove, because then you've only got cooking odors and particles, but that looks gas to me, and you 100% need ventilation for a gas appliance because of the byproducts of combustion.

I kick myself whenever I cook and stink the place up because we didn't check that the extractor worked and it's one of those ones that rises out of the surface so it's a complete pain to fix or replace and I haven't got around to taking the drawers out to try and see if it's actually broken or just that the clownshow builders they used to replace the surface just didn't plug it back in to the power properly.

Also it's made by AEG and based on the other appliances made by them we have, they are complete poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

They permit passage of a sphere with a diameter of four inches.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

You slip, foot goes through hole, gravity is now vigorously altering the position of every part of your body except for the foot that's stuck in a hole and potentially even hooked behind the non-hole upper half of the riser.

e: you don't have to even get your foot all the way through the hole if you pivot the right way for your toes to get caught behind the arch.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 4, 2023

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Just don't have mid-to-large feet, simple :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Detheros posted:

Just don't have mid-to-large feet, simple :v:
All the better to fire right through the hole and snap your lower leg instead!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I'm having a hard time imagining this happening (assuming a guardrail is installed).

As someone with larger feet that actually looks like I could walk up those stairs without having to walk on my forefoot.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If the hole is 4 inches or taller, it's not an issue.

The arch opening is clashing with the rest of the style choices in the house. Square it up

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

The arch opening is clashing with the rest of the style choices in the house. Square it up

Nah the anklebreaker risers specifically take cues from the archway in the room.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Harry Potter's never gonna have any freaking privacy.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm the rando pipe sticking out of the wall.

The lovely baseboard miter in the foreground is giving me agita.You better loving come correct when that door trim goes up.

That looks like a typical Jersey bungalow with the archway opening up the wall between the kitchen & the dining room with (yes) the staircase opened into the kitchen. Mine's similar except I left the wall for the staircase, which is reversed - mine goes down into the basement.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 5, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm the rando pipe sticking out of the wall.

The accent pipe is very chic this season.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Platystemon posted:

These look like they're made of a bunch of coffee tables sawn in half.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I kick myself whenever I cook and stink the place up because we didn't check that the extractor worked and it's one of those ones that rises out of the surface so it's a complete pain to fix or replace and I haven't got around to taking the drawers out to try and see if it's actually broken or just that the clownshow builders they used to replace the surface just didn't plug it back in to the power properly.

Also it's made by AEG and based on the other appliances made by them we have, they are complete poo poo.

The extractors that are part of the kitchen furniture below the stove always seemed a pain in the rear end to me. They're pretty much only gonna work if your stove backs up to an exterior wall, and all the ones I've seen use very small diameter pipes(usually flat rectangular ones), so unless they're powered by a jet engine, they're gonna fight to hoover out as much grease and stuff as a normal stove hood. Even if I do love the concept from a space-saving point of view.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I looked into one of those because my gas range sits under two windows (a feature we love, actually) and we have a Broan installed in the wall about 2' to the right, which does pull air but never functioned as a proper vent.

(during kitchen remodel)

The main issue was having to vent down under the floor & (somewhere) at basement level because the entry stairs are right outside that window and putting a vent ejecting greasy poo poo directly onto a flight of stairs seemed unwise. The surface-level vents were very poorly rated & unless they're creating a very powerful suction will not help with a tall pot of something.

I just wind up cleaning the kitchen frequently.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 5, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Even more crapper construction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I love this, it looks like it should be arguing constantly with Lumiere and singing you lovely songs about how it enjoys helping you by eating up your poos and pees