Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they went to hoth in the rian johnson movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Guy A. Person posted:

Are there any good games you get to pilot a B wing? That was always my favorite ship design

Like KurdtLives said, the X-Wing games let you fly it. They're probably the last legit good game that lets you pilot one. Squadrons has it as well, but that game is not as good as X-Wing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rogue Leader also had the B-Wing, and even had a mission where it was specifically used as a Capital Ship Killer, though that game was Gamecube exclusive. It's also in Rogue Squadron 3, but that one was pretty poorly received compared to the other games in the series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Someone should make a Star Wars shmup. Hell, that'd be a fun mobile game, if anyone actually made those.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Glottis posted:

I'm mostly just surprised that there are people who care a lot about continuity in The Mandalorian and didn't watch TBoBF, but I'm also having trouble figuring out if that's a thing that actually happened or people are just theorizing there will be confused viewers.

The Boba Show situation is such a clusterfuck that actually watching it ‘correctly’ doesn’t help at all.

Boba Show is two different stories grafted together: the first three episodes are a Return Of The Jedi sequel, while the last three episodes are the Manderlorian Season 2 Secret Finale.

The middle, fourth episode of Boba Show is both awful and completely redundant - ostensibly bridging the two Boba Show storylines with a disjointed Manderlorian Season 2 recap. Episode 4 plays out like a deleted scenes compilation and doesn’t stand on its own at all, yet contains no information you haven’t already inferred from simply watching Manderlorian S2. Although Obi Show is overall far worse, Boba Show Episode 4 is arguably the single worst episode of Star Wars live-action TV so far. It’s just that damaging to the narrative.

So why did they include it? Because Disney actually is trying to sell Boba Show as a standalone series, even though it’s narratively busted without Manderlorian as context. Although many folks do like it, the first story doesn’t really have an ending. Meanwhile, the second story is almost-entirely about Djinn Mando reuniting with Lil Yoda, and has little to do with Boba Fett at all. Episode 4 is a halfassed and clumsy ‘solution’ to the problem that neither story works.

But, even if you ‘fix’ Boba Show in the simplest possible way - by going into it with foreknowledge that it’s Manderlorian Season 2.5, and deleting Episode 4 entirely - it’s still tossing an iffy-quality 3-episode flashback to the backstory of a minor side-character into the middle of your Lil Yoda show. That’s under ideal conditions, and it only gets worse otherwise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I swear this is the third time they’ve cancelled the Patty Jenkins movie.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Production-wise, it sounds like Book of Boba Fett was referred to internally as The Mandalorian Season 3, and even some of the actors apparently didn't know it was a different show initially. Allegedly this was done to cut down on leaks about the show's existence during pre-production and to keep stuff like Din and Grogu's involvement a secret. The show's title is also a little telling. There's no physical book in the series like with Eli or Henry, so it seems like "The Book of Boba Fett" is supposed to draw comparisons to similarly titled books in the bible, where each "book" is just one author's contribution to a larger collection of works.

So if even the production crew was treating the show as a Mandalorian filler arc rather than its own thing, it's no wonder everything seemed so half-baked.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

You'd think Top Gun Maverick but Star Wars would be an easy thing to crack and get made too.

gently caress just make this movie beat for beat but have it be Rebels and a group of imperials who defected that have to work together to beat uh the imperial remnant if they want it to be late or like some imperial intelligence people if they want it during Andor Times or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTcFV4T2OZ8

(climb, climb!)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

Production-wise, it sounds like Book of Boba Fett was referred to internally as The Mandalorian Season 3, and even some of the actors apparently didn't know it was a different show initially.

This isn't too surprising, based on how Disney owned companies run all their stuff noow. People made a big deal out of Gwyneth Paltrow not knowing she was in Spider-Man: Homecoming a while back, but, like, is it that shocking? She filmed one short scene, and was apparently not told which movie it was for at the time. That scene could have easily been in another Iron Man movie, or an Avengers movie, or whatever. Paltrow may be crazy, but that poo poo was on Marvel, not her.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
https://twitter.com/StopTweetingMia/status/1633169490778402820

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh my gently caress.

Fat Jar Jar.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nikcacado

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Oh lawd heesa comin'!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Oh lawd heesa comin'!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

First frame looks like he’s steering a rascal scooter

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

"Jar Jar, did you just beef?"

"..."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

stealin' this

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

This would have been all it took for Mr. Plinkett to enjoy the prequels.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siCnBQb7NeM

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSe3GE-qAc

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm sure I said it before in here but I can't imagine Patty Jenkins making a Star Wars movie that I would find satisfying after WW84. I think someone could definitely make a Rogue Squadron movie, but who knows what weird rules Disney is putting on that. Are they going to let people make fully standalone movies?

Also, surprised they haven't canceled the Taika Watiti movie fully - his entry into the blockbuster franchise world via Thor feels exactly like the sort of take that got Lord and Miller fired, where it's over the top silly and outright mocking the existing universe. That said, if he made a movie with a bit more heart (a la Hunt for the Wilderpeople) it could be great, but I doubt he would.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lord & Miller were also deviating from a script co-written by Lawrence Kasdan, so the execs were probably more concerned with keeping him happy than keeping Lord & Miller on the project. I imagine "the writer if The Empire Strikes Back removes his name from the latest Star Wars movie" is worse headline to have out there than "comedy directors fired for turning the movie into a farce".

Waititi's movie probably wouldn't involve any legacy creatives, and by the sounds of it wouldn't even have any important mainline characters, so he'd have more freedom.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Glottis posted:

I'm sure I said it before in here but I can't imagine Patty Jenkins making a Star Wars movie that I would find satisfying after WW84. I think someone could definitely make a Rogue Squadron movie, but who knows what weird rules Disney is putting on that. Are they going to let people make fully standalone movies?

Also, surprised they haven't canceled the Taika Watiti movie fully - his entry into the blockbuster franchise world via Thor feels exactly like the sort of take that got Lord and Miller fired, where it's over the top silly and outright mocking the existing universe. That said, if he made a movie with a bit more heart (a la Hunt for the Wilderpeople) it could be great, but I doubt he would.

I have a feeling the Waititi movie will be like the Rian Johnson Star Wars Trilogy where it will kind of officially linger on for awhile without actually getting made.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Some Celebration Panels
•Lucasfilm’s Studio Showcase (April 7)
•Ahsoka (April 8)
•Villains of the Sequel Trilogy (April 9)
•The Bad Batch (April 10)

Full schedule: https://www.starwars.com/news/swce-2023-panel-schedule

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 8, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

WW84 was extremely bad but I don't think it should've killed her career. This got cancelled since then, Wonder Woman 3 got cancelled since then, she's not directing Cleopatra anymore and she's only even attached to produce one thing anymore currently

Also yeah I love Rian but his trilogy, if it's ever happening, won't be anytime soon. Poker Face is a big success, and Knives Out is a massive success; he'll be working on both as long as he wants to be and he'll be given blank checks to do so

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Neo Rasa posted:

You'd think Top Gun Maverick but Star Wars would be an easy thing to crack and get made too.

gently caress just make this movie beat for beat but have it be Rebels and a group of imperials who defected that have to work together to beat uh the imperial remnant if they want it to be late or like some imperial intelligence people if they want it during Andor Times or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTcFV4T2OZ8

(climb, climb!)
Retroactively happy for Clark Johnson from Homicide: Life On The Street to have gotten a gig for Iron Eagle II

Kart Barfunkel posted:

OMFG I died

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lol at the new thread title

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Robot Style posted:

Lord & Miller were also deviating from a script co-written by Lawrence Kasdan, so the execs were probably more concerned with keeping him happy than keeping Lord & Miller on the project. I imagine "the writer if The Empire Strikes Back removes his name from the latest Star Wars movie" is worse headline to have out there than "comedy directors fired for turning the movie into a farce".

Going Solo makes a solid case that they didn't turn in a farce or even really a comedy, though it was their differences with the Kasdans that lead to their removal.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Definitely - Lord & Miller have a good enough track record to know how to balance the tone of a movie, but pissing off Kasdan would be harder to spin in a positive way, while it's super easy for the studio to say that firing the comedy directors for going off script or whatever saved the movie from being bad (it didn't).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chris James 2 posted:

WW84 was extremely bad but I don't think it should've killed her career. This got cancelled since then, Wonder Woman 3 got cancelled since then, she's not directing Cleopatra anymore and she's only even attached to produce one thing anymore currently

Also yeah I love Rian but his trilogy, if it's ever happening, won't be anytime soon. Poker Face is a big success, and Knives Out is a massive success; he'll be working on both as long as he wants to be and he'll be given blank checks to do so

I mean fair but honestly if you're given an absolute layup of a sequel to a widely praised franchise movie that did well with a character previously lacking any good major adaptations, and manage to gently caress that up to the point of disappointing and downright baffling, can't blame Hollywood for not wanting to trust you with anything big anymore.

Though Cleopatra was probably a dodged bullet, that's Titanic 2 levels of tempting fate.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Shedding a tear for all the fat jokes we were deprived of.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We were robbed of Big Gungus

...well, actually no, since we had BRIAN BLESSED as a Gungan

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

this is what we need now

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Firing the "comedy writers" who then went on to make a much beloved and award winning Spider-Man movie. They have the last laugh. And Kasdan writes a poo poo movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot Style posted:

Production-wise, it sounds like Book of Boba Fett was referred to internally as The Mandalorian Season 3, and even some of the actors apparently didn't know it was a different show initially. Allegedly this was done to cut down on leaks about the show's existence during pre-production and to keep stuff like Din and Grogu's involvement a secret. The show's title is also a little telling. There's no physical book in the series like with Eli or Henry, so it seems like "The Book of Boba Fett" is supposed to draw comparisons to similarly titled books in the bible, where each "book" is just one author's contribution to a larger collection of works.

So if even the production crew was treating the show as a Mandalorian filler arc rather than its own thing, it's no wonder everything seemed so half-baked.

"Cutting down on leaks about the show's existence" sounds like bullshit, given that the resulting product actually is Manderlorian S3 in all but name.

More plausibly, they were working on Manderlorian S3 and decided to include a backdoor pilot to a yet-unfilmed Boba Show. Like, a 'Dwight's Farm' situation. You would have maybe one episode introducing the setting and all the 'fun' new characters (scooter gang, etc), before returning to the actual Manderlorian storyline. They then decided to cut to the chase and expand the backdoor pilot into a full 3-4 episodes, tossing in a few additional episodes of Lil Yoda Adventures, and packaging the whole thing as "The Book Of Boba Fett" - claiming that this was the new series all along.

That's only my assumption, but I think it's currently the best explanation for what happened.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Hewwo."

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_o1pi0c5zSC1qfb777.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU