Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Never name a number first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

leper khan posted:

Head of HR wanted to know what range I would accept. She mentioned in the conversation that they had a target range. She didn't seem to want to share their target range. :thunk:

Do they think the hard sell is going to work? Do they not realize how bad this makes them look? :iiam:

Back to sitting in my BATNA watching dashboards and prepping for meetings.

Received confirmation that they're going to give me an offer, so it looks like they were able to figure out how to carry forward without me telling them how low I'd be willing to accept!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

SEKCobra posted:

And how hard/if you press them for a number is up to you. I guess I unintentionally pressed too hard on my last back-and-forth (I asked what the range was) - likely bullet dodged, but still, a factor to weigh.

I wasn’t planning on being back in the pool for a long time but made the mistake of speaking that aloud so now my work situation is much more uncertain - hopefully I can continue to learn and leverage from the thread.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SEKCobra posted:

There are situations where it makes sense to name a number first but if you are in that kind of situation you should already be very aware of that advantage/necessity.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Also, if you are in a position where you can say "I will torpedo any job opening where they want me to name a number first" great, more power to you. But I suspect more and more people are in a position where they can't do that. In that case it helps to have a strategy to deal with companies that will push for a number. I do think there are places that are perfectly fine to work for but they may have HR practices that may gate on naming that number.

It comes down to: Know you market value. Talk to people, get a sense for what to expect.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks to this thread I managed to deflect a salary question today, previously I’d have just given my ‘yes’ number (£90k), but after my stalling the hiring manager quoted the range as £90-110k. So I would have potentially left 10-20k on the table. I likely won’t take this job due to a whole range of reasons but it gives me great leverage for upcoming interviews for other places.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

spwrozek posted:

We may pay a little low but we have really good benefits.

Are your really good benefits detailed anywhere for the applicant to see?
I recently got rejected after a phone screener because they Needed A Number and I anchored high. They balked, it was above the range, but we continued the call. Later in the call they mentioned it was WFH/hybrid, that wasn't in the job description. Would have been a great to know before we even talked about salary.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Salami Surgeon posted:

Are your really good benefits detailed anywhere for the applicant to see?
I recently got rejected after a phone screener because they Needed A Number and I anchored high. They balked, it was above the range, but we continued the call. Later in the call they mentioned it was WFH/hybrid, that wasn't in the job description. Would have been a great to know before we even talked about salary.
You missed your opportunity to say that you'd be willing to come down on salary for WFH, and you'll come down further the more WFH there is. Next time you'll know!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

You missed your opportunity to say that you'd be willing to come down on salary for WFH, and you'll come down further the more WFH there is. Next time you'll know!

No, they were done with me after that. We only continued the call on my insistence (that I waste their time).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It could have been in the same sentence even :shrug:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

I've been transparent about the bonus timeline, no issues there. I want to wait to make a decision until I understand the merit increase and if the offer comes on Monday, that's three weeks before I'll have all of the information. Just feels like a long time to make them wait. Maybe that's not unusual.
I had the call with HR today and they pulled the good kind of bait and switch. I was originally contacted about a Sr Manager role but after the interviews the offer now comes with a Director title. Downside is I need to do yet another interview, this time with the CEO and the VP I would report up through. Good news, it's not until Thursday.

HR floated some potential salary numbers and I was aloof enough to keep him talking. I'm interested in seeing the written offer in its entirety. The base pay is a decent bump from my current base but my current bonus bridges that gap almost exactly assuming target payout. I am currently able to make more by working OT during defined periods of the year and my current employer has a pension scheme and good 401k match. Also a short commute. New company has none of those but it'll definitely come with a large equity component handful of lottery tickets.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone recently negotiate with Gov? I was just offered a GS11 position at the first step which would be a mild set back for me fiscally. Need to come in at a step 4 just to equal and 5 would be a very mild raise. Not exactly sure the proper way to deal with this I’ve always been in the private sector.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems like you just gotta tell 'em what step you want to come in at since you know what your BATNA is and it's "more money" as it stands.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

In many positions they have some flexibility within a step band even at the start - I was offered a fed job (I didn't end up taking) that would have started at 13-5 or 13-6, I forget. (I'm a lawyer, any job that requires a law degree is high on the GS scale, I'm not talking about an offer for deputy assistant secretary or whatever).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Has anyone else had to deal with provisional offers that are subject to internal approval? My thoughts, having just been through a process that went that way (we ended on a good number):

* it’s an invitation to negotiate against yourself. The company ain’t gonna raise that number unless you ask and keep asking.

* it slows the process by a week or two. You’ll want to spend the time working on other offers / projects to keep your mind off it and avoid the temptation to chase.

* it’s more likely to be driven by internal HR bullshit than an actual attempt at bait and switch, even if it feels like that.

* you will probably have to say “no” at least once to get the original offer. This feels like a bit of a waste of time but whatever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The second point is the major one. The purpose is to keep you in play while they take their time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And getting candidates to negotiate against themselves by saying "Listen I'm on your side but let's come up with something my boss will like to see" is a time-honored negotiation technique.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Lockback posted:

"Thank you for the opportunity! I am considering everything right now, but I would immediately take this offer if you were willing to increase the salary by $3k for Health care and $3k for 401k (total of $6k increase to xyz) until such time these are available, then we can reduce the salary to the offer of (xyz-6k). Please let me know if this is acceptable."

If they come back "Yeah, I can only do (xyz-6k)" then you can accept if you still want, no harm done and it didn't hurt to ask. If they withdraw their offer your brother was likely not going to actually get paid anyway.

My brother asked for the salary increases for health reimbursement and 401k until the plans were in place and they accepted those terms, so he is happy with how things turned out. Thanks again for the help!

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thank you to everyone in this thread. I used all the advice here during negotiation for a job to get brought in right above the stated salary band for a position. I had an advantage in that it was a California position so they told me the pay band up front, but I made sure to never say a number and just let them know that I would consider a competitive offer from them to be towards the top of their stated range. Lots of "well I'll have to understand the whole benefits package and the position better before I answer that" and in the first HR phone screen I just flat out told the person I thought it was too early for me to discuss what salary range I was looking for. Is it possible I could have gotten more? Maybe, but I was very happy with the overall package by the time they sent me the offer letter.

I also was in a position where I had another offer in hand, so I definitely felt more comfortable negotiating that I might have otherwise.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I don’t have much to offer to this thread but I really enjoy seeing people’s success stories.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
So I got a job offer yesterday for a job I’m unsure about. I’m currently employed and fairly confident that my position is safe, well …as confident as you can be in capitalist America I suppose. But this company is looking for someone and offering hybrid workplace as well as 2X the PTO I currently have, so I’ve been courting them recently. Turns out they only offered me like 2% above my current salary as they are a startup and have low initial capital. They have also offered stock options six months in, but obviously as a startup this is a risk both in terms of continued employment and also the compensation being worthless stocks.

Question is: how do I monetize this opportunity the best? Do I counter the offer with the minimum 10-15% more than my current salary and accept if they agree? Do I take this offer to my current job and try to squeeze more compensation (salary + PTO) from my present boss? A combination of both?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wonderllama posted:

they are a startup and have low initial capital.

:sever:

No really, even though you're Wonderllama I'll still always do my damnedest to help an SAS hockey bro. :hf:

I don't recommend trying to get a counteroffer from your current employer, for reasons I won't elaborate for the 483rd time but they're all over the post history of any regular in this thread.

If you take an offer from a startup you should do so in the awareness that most startups run out of money and fold (after trying to get you to work for free for a while, "we're just having a minor cash flow issue, don't worry it'll turn around and we'll give you a bonus...") within two years. And unless you're a founder you will have little to no warning when this is about to happen (definitely zero warning if you've never worked at startups before and don't know what the warning flags are.)

The value of any and all stock options offered is $0.

In your position I would not accept a position at a startup unless it were an increase of at least 40% in salary. Probably more. That's salary, mind, not stock options. I would name a very high number and let them walk away.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 4, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Eric is absolutely right

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Eric is absolutely right

Thanks for confirming, this is not a concept he is accustomed to from my hockey shitposting

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Wonderllama posted:

So I got a job offer yesterday for a job I’m unsure about. I’m currently employed and fairly confident that my position is safe, well …as confident as you can be in capitalist America I suppose. But this company is looking for someone and offering hybrid workplace as well as 2X the PTO I currently have, so I’ve been courting them recently. Turns out they only offered me like 2% above my current salary as they are a startup and have low initial capital. They have also offered stock options six months in, but obviously as a startup this is a risk both in terms of continued employment and also the compensation being worthless stocks.

Question is: how do I monetize this opportunity the best? Do I counter the offer with the minimum 10-15% more than my current salary and accept if they agree? Do I take this offer to my current job and try to squeeze more compensation (salary + PTO) from my present boss? A combination of both?

Ask for 40% more base.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Eric the Mauve posted:

:sever:

No really, even though you're Wonderllama I'll still always do my damnedest to help an SAS hockey bro. :hf:

I don't recommend trying to get a counteroffer from your current employer, for reasons I won't elaborate for the 483rd time but they're all over the post history of any regular in this thread.

If you take an offer from a startup you should do so in the awareness that most startups run out of money and fold (after trying to get you to work for free for a while, "we're just having a minor cash flow issue, don't worry it'll turn around and we'll give you a bonus...") within two years. And unless you're a founder you will have little to no warning when this is about to happen (definitely zero warning if you've never worked at startups before and don't know what the warning flags are.)

The value of any and all stock options offered is $0.

In your position I would not accept a position at a startup unless it were an increase of at least 40% in salary. Probably more. That's salary, mind, not stock options. I would name a very high number and let them walk away.

Yeah, I shitpost in hockey a lot but at least Im also really bad at careers too.

Appreciate it, I’ll probably just counter with something wild that they will never be able to afford and either keep on searching on be pleasantly surprised.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wonderllama posted:

Yeah, I shitpost in hockey a lot but at least Im also really bad at careers too.

Appreciate it, I’ll probably just counter with something wild that they will never be able to afford and either keep on searching on be pleasantly surprised.

This is the correct course of action for more than half the help requests in this thread

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm not as against getting a counter offer from your current place as Eric is but this is probably not the kind of offer you want to do that with. If your not willing to take the offer, and your current place doesn't counter, then you're signalling to your current place that you are overpaid.

There is tremendous risk with this new place and I don't see the reward unless you majorly value the PTO, and even then a cash strapped startup probably will offer lots of PTO that you'll never be able to use. I'd want a significant pay increase and probably actual equity in this case, no just options. And that doesn't lessen the risk, but at least gives you a chance at a real reward.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I hosed up by staying with a VC funded deadend start up.
I was so dumb.

Never work for an early stage start up without a 50% risk modifier applied to your income.
Better yet, just don't work for an early stage start up.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Methanar posted:

I hosed up by staying with a VC funded deadend start up.
I was so dumb.

Never work for an early stage start up without a 50% risk modifier applied to your income.
Better yet, just don't work for an early stage start up.

Only way I'll work early stage at this point is if I have 50+% equity.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I know a lot of people who think that way but the only fun/good jobs I've ever had have been at startups.

They suck if you have bad work life boundaries or are unable to save a few months of expenses to de-risk the possibility of unemployment but I'd endure a hundred startup liquidations before I'd go back to work at 50k employee enterprise corp, unless my job was specifically to fire useless boomers 8 hours a day.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

From what I’ve seen of a good buddy who churns start up jobs, I don’t have the personality for that life. Let me ooze along in the megacorp world. Maybe it’s more boring, but I’ll pass on participating in the founder’s 9pm board game power rankings that he’s totally not using to gauge who is on slack at that time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Working startups can be fine. Just make sure your balancing the risk with reward. A startup with anemic funding and offering PTO as the biggest perk strikes me as a risk, especially as work life balance is usually not a startups strength.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I know it’s been posted a few times but I hate that online application forms ask for desired salary as a mandatory numerical field. I had a HR screen today and despite some pushing I avoiding giving my current and desired salary, but the form is a pain. It doesn’t seem to let me put ‘0’ or ‘000’ in, but it accepted ‘999’. Feels a bit weird putting that in.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 6, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

I know it’s been posted a few times but I hate that online application forms ask for desired salary as a mandatory numerical field. I had a HR screen today and despite some pushing I avoiding giving my current and desired salary, but the form is a pain. It doesn’t seem to let me put ‘0’ or ‘000’ in, but it accepted ‘999’. Feels a bit weird putting that in.

They usually accept '1'

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

or 999999

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

‘1’ worked! Feel like 999,999 would be viewed as taking the piss. How have HR reacted for anyone else who put in 0, 1, or similar?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like to try the old apostrophe OR 1=1; -- to see if it works. I figure if it gets through then someone might get a giggle out of it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lady Gaza posted:

‘1’ worked! Feel like 999,999 would be viewed as taking the piss. How have HR reacted for anyone else who put in 0, 1, or similar?

It's not uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Arquinsiel posted:

I like to try the old apostrophe OR 1=1; -- to see if it works. I figure if it gets through then someone might get a giggle out of it.
If you’re going to do that, why not just wipe the whole database. The only good ATS is a dead ATS.