Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nystral posted:

WTF am I looking at here?

Aren’t they putting a ton of faith in the pin’s ability to withstand sheer forces?

It's a pretty big pin bro.

Bigger than the (probably) 5/8" pins holding the hitch inserts in their respective hitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lemme guess....Ferrari techs racing customer cars?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lemme guess....Ferrari techs racing customer cars?

I'd expect joyriders to know their area well enough not to make a mistake like this. They seem like they both steer to hit the hill on purpose.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh my loving God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-GbhaeaDw

This is by far the worst engine explosion I have ever seen.

the contents of the oil pan is AMAZING. Straight up rotating assembly mulch. The ends of like 6 of the rods are completely, utterly annihilated, melted, flattened, mangled. He has to shovel a solid two quarts of oil-coolant-metal mud/gravel out of the pan by hand and run it through the parts washer like a gold prospector panning in a stream to even have a chance of identifying any of it.

Oh, the crank is completely broken in half and like 3 main bearing caps are no longer connected to the block.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kastein posted:

Oh my loving God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot-GbhaeaDw

the contents of the oil pan is AMAZING. Straight up rotating assembly mulch. The ends of like 6 of the rods are completely, utterly annihilated, melted, flattened, mangled. He has to shovel a solid two quarts of oil-coolant-metal mud/gravel out of the pan by hand and run it through the parts washer like a gold prospector panning in a stream to even have a chance of identifying any of it.

Oh, the crank is completely broken in half and like 3 main bearing caps are no longer connected to the block.

There's an aerospace term that applies here: catastrophic self-disassembly.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Lol, FUBAR

big time

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nystral posted:

Aren’t they putting a ton of faith in the pin’s ability to withstand sheer forces?

Nah

I think a Silverado's like 5000lb

E: forgot to refresh, holy loving poo poo that engine, it's amazing no single failure stopped that cascade from happening.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 5, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elviscat posted:

Nah

I think a Silverado's like 5000lb

E: forgot to refresh, holy loving poo poo that engine, it's amazing no single failure stopped that cascade from happening.

Taylor (other dude you met at my place years ago) and I were just discussing this and we're pretty sure it was in a manual transmission truck since there's no way it would keep running with even a momentary reduction in throttle after losing a few of those cylinders if it was auto. He thinks 9 and 10 let loose first (farthest from the oil pump) and it puked a bunch of poo poo into the bearings at the front after that, I was guessing front cylinders but he's got a lot more experience on this stuff. Guessing it was either coasting downhill for a while still in gear, or the owner just had that motor put in (thus the warranty tags on it) recently and was like gently caress it, I hear bad noises, I'm signing the death warrant on this pile of poo poo engine so they definitely have to replace it again, and just drove it till it stopped moving.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Nystral posted:

WTF am I looking at here?

Those pins put up with some truly enormous forces in their intended application in agriculture. 600+ Hp tractors pulling 100 foot wide air seeders all held together with those pins, tho normally they’re in double shear!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have waaaaay more faith in that pin than I do on that drop platform on the top truck being towed.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

Oh my loving God

The comments in the first half of the video about still being able to sell parts of the engine were… what I’ll always be thinking about when buying used parts. :gonk:

At about the 42 min mark he says he’ll never think about using anything from this engine but he might have just meant the bottom end. I’m still worried he’s going to machine and resell those heads. I did some fast forwarding so maybe he walked that back.

Overall 10/10 would watch again. :gonk:

Edit: vvv Nice! Feeling a little less agita now.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 5, 2023

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ulf posted:

The comments in the first half of the video about still being able to sell parts of the engine were… what I’ll always be thinking about when buying used parts. :gonk:

At about the 42 min mark he says he’ll never think about using anything from this engine but he might have just meant the bottom end. I’m still worried he’s going to machine and resell those heads. I did some fast forwarding so maybe he walked that back.

Overall 10/10 would watch again. :gonk:

He seems pretty conservative about reselling parts

quote:

Well!
After an hour in the parts washer, some more problems with last weeks 4.0L explorer engine have shown themselves.
Nobody will be surprised, but the heads are both cracked. Right between the seats. Not sure if this is the only place they crack but it surely renders them scrap as the cost to repair vastly outweighs the cost of a reman head.
We find this happens pretty often, the parts washer uncovers damage previously obscured by carbon, oil, gunk and junk. I would estimate that we probably discover 80-100 issues from having clean parts, which means a ton fewer returns, no waste of labor listing, shipping or dealing with a return. More importantly, it means I know what I sell is good, and I don’t waste any customers time.

In the used auto parts business, there’s always a risk of a defective part. They’re used, and sometimes you just cannot know things like oil consumption, or how a trans shifts under load after an hour on the highway. Nobody wants to sell bad parts, but returns as defective nails on a chalkboard for me. That’s why we do everything we can, and constantly find more we can do, to make sure what we sell is accurately described.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Jonny Nox posted:

He seems pretty conservative about reselling parts

he often talks in his videos about never wanting to sell bad parts, he seems like a good guy

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Oh my loving God

:kstare:

Came to post this, should have figured It'd already be here. That one rod where the big end is just a straight line with the two bolts practically pointing at each other is loving WILD.

e: my god, there's two of them :stare:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 6, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What the gently caress has to happen to an engine to make it violently poo poo itself to death like that?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
It takes for something to let go, but not something so important that it stops the engine dead right then and there. Lose 2/4 cylinders and the fun stops immediately; lose 2/10, and you've still got 80% of the motor powering through, spinning and chewing and digesting the bits it's lost.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

All you can say for certain is that the broken crank would've been one of the last things, since at that point the cam would stop spinning and there'd be no way for the engine to actually run anymore... aside from possibly "coasting" downhill in gear.

On the heads, I get the feeling he sells those sorts of things as cores only - wash it, make sure there's no cracks or other damage that's not economically viable to repair, sell it to someone with the expectation that the buyer is going to rebuild the heads.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I didn't watch the whole thing (just skimmed to the good bits) so I'm sure I was missing context about what exactly he hopes to accomplish by a whole teardown at this point. Once you see there's that amount of damage you'd just be telling your customer "ok so a new crate V10 lists for X amount in the catalog"

There can't be a single component in that engine worth salvaging for any amount of money exceeding the time put into tearing it down. Unless the youtube views are that valuable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I didn't watch the whole thing (just skimmed to the good bits) so I'm sure I was missing context about what exactly he hopes to accomplish by a whole teardown at this point. Once you see there's that amount of damage you'd just be telling your customer "ok so a new crate V10 lists for X amount in the catalog"

There can't be a single component in that engine worth salvaging for any amount of money exceeding the time put into tearing it down. Unless the youtube views are that valuable.

The youtube channel is advertisement for his shop, he usually states clearly when he finds useful parts, otherwise it's all in the scrap bin.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
He also seems like the type of guy who does stuff for fun that serves absolutely no purpose at all. Remember this is a guy who got a car engine that was set running and his exact words were," I like a challenge. Even if it is a waste of time." Though at least in this video it served a purpose as the engine wasn't wrecked like in that video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-DW7YzzyYs

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That Miata video was something else. I would have never had the balls to just straight up hook up a battery to something that had been on fire, and was actively trying to become on fire again once it got power.

I don't think I could personally trust the engine out of it without a rebuild (every gasket on that thing is probably trash, no idea if the head is warped from the heat of the fire, etc), but that was seriously impressive that he managed to get it to run.

You know the video traffic sends his yard tons of traffic too - both sales and cores. Yeah, he's funny, a bit informative, it's impressive seeing the level of carnage he finds at times - but ultimately the videos are essentially free* advertisements for his business.

*aside from his time, and the money he drops on cores - and you know he makes it back and then some 99% of the time

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 6, 2023

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, he strips engines down for parts both to sell as good used and to sell as cores. From what I can tell most of his business is well known engines but he does videos on random stuff that gets requested in the comments on the videos he posts, and some of those that are really blown up he gets for basically scrap price specifically for a video if enough people request it.

He seems very selective about what he'll sell and what gets scrapped. I'd feel pretty comfortable buying from him. I'd probably toss a few valves and maybe guides in those 8.0 heads, clean up any burrs and dings from the pistons hitting to avoid hot spots, and run them as long as they're flat. They're 80lb of cast iron and the gaskets were still sealed fine, 99% chance that's all they'd need.

But everything in that bottom end is trash.

E: oh, who else noticed the cam being way way longer than it actually is? He looped a section of the video there so it's like a V16 or V20 cam :lol:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

What on earth are you talking about, V10 cams are totally that long. :v: Yeah, noticed that too.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

kastein posted:

E: oh, who else noticed the cam being way way longer than it actually is? He looped a section of the video there so it's like a V16 or V20 cam :lol:

His humor fits quite well with the AI hive mind. Seems like a genuine gearhead. Hopefully he doesn't get milkshake ducked, seems like he'd have reasonable opinions on things.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

Yeah, he strips engines down for parts both to sell as good used and to sell as cores. From what I can tell most of his business is well known engines but he does videos on random stuff that gets requested in the comments on the videos he posts, and some of those that are really blown up he gets for basically scrap price specifically for a video if enough people request it.

He seems very selective about what he'll sell and what gets scrapped. I'd feel pretty comfortable buying from him. I'd probably toss a few valves and maybe guides in those 8.0 heads, clean up any burrs and dings from the pistons hitting to avoid hot spots, and run them as long as they're flat. They're 80lb of cast iron and the gaskets were still sealed fine, 99% chance that's all they'd need.

But everything in that bottom end is trash.

yeah i also laughed at spaceballs: the camshaft

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

The driver of that Ram definitely didn't brake for anybody (or anything).

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Raluek posted:

same

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

STR posted:

If you ever run into a Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Lincoln Town Car where every exterior light lights up with the brakes and turn signals (including headlights), someone has done exactly this with a brake light. Or managed to get the bulb in backwards (surprisingly easy).

How it manages to backfeed the headlights is beyond me, they're on a separate circuit.

If you flip the blinker stalk up or down, the hvac system turns on in my Golf, without the key in the ignition.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cached Money posted:

If you flip the blinker stalk up or down, the hvac system turns on in my Golf, without the key in the ignition.

Check your tail lights for coolant

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

drat who replaced all my twist drills with twisting drills

:dadjoke:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

With all the runout, it's now good for driving 5 inch holes.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

For drilling around corners.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"I need a hole but I need it beveled out on the inside."

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Boogalo posted:

Check your tail lights for coolant

lol it's not that generation of golf, it's a mk3 wagon

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Cached Money posted:

lol it's not that generation of golf, it's a mk3 wagon

that's weird because the wiring for the hvac is (supposed to be) completely separate. I got into a big fight with mk3 hvac a while ago and spent a lot of time looking at the wiring manual.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Couldn't happen to a better pair of douche-waffles. Not only street racing, but on apparently unfamiliar roads.

Midjack posted:

I'd expect joyriders to know their area well enough not to make a mistake like this. They seem like they both steer to hit the hill on purpose.

Target fixation. Also locked brakes = almost no friction.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

For drilling around corners.

Beat me too it.

chrisgt posted:

that's weird because the wiring for the hvac is (supposed to be) completely separate. I got into a big fight with mk3 hvac a while ago and spent a lot of time looking at the wiring manual.

Yeah, but if the motion of the stalk is shorting the ignition switch...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, but if the motion of the stalk is shorting the ignition switch...

mk3 ignition switches also are not known for their reliability. Currently my jetta has lost its accessory mode, i need to change that out before it fails more. It's possible it's not breaking the circuit completely or correctly when it's off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Someone forgot a tool offset or just straight up did a G0 through the part by accident :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fun fact, it was Ferraris in Italy (Osimo, within the Ancona province) but the drivers were not locals (Netherlands and Belgium), just retirees (50 and 54 years old).

https://www.auto.it/news/attualita/2023/03/06-6165930/il_folle_incidente_di_due_ferrari_supercar_distrutte_contro_una_villa