Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Take her to a vet, they'll scan her to see if she's chipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

smilingfish posted:

I'm not sure what to do if no one claims her.

Sounds like someone already has!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

smilingfish posted:

A black kitten showed up at my door. Not the first stray I've seen in my neighborhood, but this one was extremely friendly. Ran right up to me and my wife to get pets and treats. When we opened our front door she ran right in, but our dog barked at her and she ran right out.

We put up on NextDoor that we found her, which is about the only thing NextDoor is good for besides racism. No one claimed her. We've been putting food and water and a soft place to sleep for her. She dived into the food like she hadn't eaten in days.

I'm not sure what to do if no one claims her.

You know what to do :getin:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Grats on your new cat

Content edit: It snowed here in Texas last week so I put out some bread on my porch for the birds since they looked cold and all spherical. It may not be the best for them, but they ate it up. Also, Bats got some extra entertainment out of it.

And so presenting a story in two pictures:

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 9, 2023

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Crazy Ferret posted:

Grats on your new cat

I already have 4.

And a dog.

And we may get a bunny soon.

:catstare:

Julio Cruz posted:

Take her to a vet, they'll scan her to see if she's chipped.

She hasn't come back near the house in the last day or two, but if she does that might be what I do. She seems super sweet and I wouldn't want to steal her from someone.

smilingfish fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 9, 2023

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
A few days ago I posted a photo of Cheeky enjoying his small cozy shoebox.

My brother just sent me an update photo:

To prospective cat owners: Note how the curtains and screen door are unclawed. This is because the cardboard box acts as a sacrificial anode, being destroyed by the cat preferentially to your more important things. Cats love them some cardboard, and so long as you provide it as a convenient thing, they will shred the poo poo out of that instead of your more expensive and presentable things.

This is the joint most important cat advice you can get, alongside "Get two cats, not one".

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 9, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/8LddnMW.mp4

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pickled Tink posted:

Cats love them some cardboard, and so long as you provide it as a convenient thing, they will shred the poo poo out of that as well as your more expensive and presentable things.
FTFY.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/lyPzkb6.mp4

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/zsrukyW.mp4

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boogie is my good kitty but when she is bad she is Booger

Boogie passed her about to be an old kitty 12 year blood and stool screening A++ all clear

#1 hobby: try to sit as close as possible to face

loves laser pointer, sit in sunny window, roll on wet feet

last one is complicated because #1 enemy: shower (waits for feet but attacks legs if head gets sprinkled)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I use a little office sized flip top trash bin thats lined with grocery store plastic bags to manage the litter. However, it doesn't do a the best job of containing the odor, especially as it gets closer to full.

Can I get some recommendations for a litter bin that will do a better job of keeping the litter smell contained? I'm not looking for litter genie as I don't necessarily want to get special liners, but surely there must be a budget friendly option that works better than my current set up?

What do you all use?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I use a litter genie and the liners are worth it

edit: to be more clear the continuous liner is a big part of how blocking the smell works

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 13, 2023

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

The Litter Genie is one of the best cat purchases I've made, and as long as you buy the classic model you can get cheaper third party refills from Target and whatnot. It's not a liner in the same sense as a trash bag, as hawowanlawow said. It's actually kind of clever (and imo cheap for what it is).

Other top buys have been an automated laser pointer so my cat can play while I'm busy during the workday, a water fountain that encourages her to actually drink enough, and this automated feeder. She has literally never seen me fill the compartments in the feeder, they were loaded when I brought her home and ever since I have only refilled them when she's using the litterbox (I shut the bathroom door, only refill the upcoming ones, and let her out after I'm finished). As far as she knows, the machine is the hand that feeds, and it does so every day at 1PM and 1AM regardless of what I am doing. As a result, she lets me sleep in as late as I need to and has never, ever bothered me for food. I am the play and snuggle companion and nothing more, and I feel like a loving genius.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 13, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bioshuffle posted:

I use a little office sized flip top trash bin thats lined with grocery store plastic bags to manage the litter. However, it doesn't do a the best job of containing the odor, especially as it gets closer to full.

Can I get some recommendations for a litter bin that will do a better job of keeping the litter smell contained? I'm not looking for litter genie as I don't necessarily want to get special liners, but surely there must be a budget friendly option that works better than my current set up?

What do you all use?
These special bags are Godlike. Throw the poop in, knot the top, and there's no smell. I can usually get in an entire day's worth of scoops from two cats into the medium bag. Then I use a normal trashcan, and there's absolutely no odor in a week, when the whole bag goes in the trash.
https://bos-bos-en.com/

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
We like our Cateco Litter box. Has a fine mesh layer that the litter sits on, and underneath you put a puppy training pad or their cut-to-shape dry pads underneath with some litter on it to catch any excess urine. The mesh gives the litter circulation beneath it, so it dries out much faster, and we use corn based Worlds Best Cat Litter in it. We have practically no litter odor issues at all with this combination, as long as you keep up with keeping the litter clear. We never have to swap out the litter, we just use a slotted litter scoop to pick out clumps and turds and change the bottom pad once a month.

A bonus feature of the mesh is the fine dust particles in the litter fall through which helps with the absorption even more, and helps our felines from breathing it in or having UTI issues from the dust.

Here's a pic of one of our turd fabricators, Niko fancied himself to be a Cultured Gentleman today with his choice of setting :wotwot:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

That's a lot of recommendations. Is it easy to transport when it's filled up? Could I bring the bin around from one litter box to the next?

I have a large litter box and a medium one, so I'm wondering if I should just pick up the plus or get 2 standard sizes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if you're talking about the litter genie, I wouldn't recommend picking it up when it's full. I tie the liner off and pull it out. I definitely don't trust the plastic detents to keep the box from opening when it's full. though theoretically nothing would spill out if it did pop open

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Two standards imo. Having it next to the litterbox and not having to bag or cart anything around until the whole thing is full is part of that sweet sweet convenience.

Also get thee a Litter Lifter. It sounds dumb but makes the scooping part so chill and easy and satisfying. Just turn it diagonally to make sure everything dumps into the Genie and not on the floor, because that fucker is wide

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

These special bags are Godlike. Throw the poop in, knot the top, and there's no smell. I can usually get in an entire day's worth of scoops from two cats into the medium bag. Then I use a normal trashcan, and there's absolutely no odor in a week, when the whole bag goes in the trash.
https://bos-bos-en.com/

Thanks for the review- I'd never heard of these so I'm stoked to try them out!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

They're only 20 a pop so I went ahead and took your advice to order one per litterbox.

Any recommendaions for a reputable and cheap refill option? There appears to be a whole bunch of them on Amazon and I'm not sure who to use.

quote:

Also get thee a Litter Lifter. It sounds dumb but makes the scooping part so chill and easy and satisfying. Just turn it diagonally to make sure everything dumps into the Genie and not on the floor, because that fucker is wide
I use a dura scoop and swear by it. Feels super solid in the hands and I can't see myself returning to using plastic.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 14, 2023

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Bioshuffle posted:

I use a dura scoop and swear by it. Feels super solid in the hands and I can't see myself returning to using plastic.

Pretty sure I had that exact model for my ex's cat (or if not, whatever similar thing Wirecutter recommended) and I'm the same in reverse. I can't imagine going back to that poo poo. The Litter Lifter's whole gimmick is that it being nothing but long slats with an angular shape means that litter runs straight through it. It doesn't need to be beefy metal because you're not picking up huge shovels at a time and then shaking the litter through while trying to keep the clumps whole (gently caress that minigame). It's more like running a rake through the box and lifting up the clumps and poo only. If you order direct from their hilariously basic website it's something like :10bux:, so don't knock it till you try it imo. They really need to advertise it more, I only found out about it from some lady on an Amazon video review grumbling that the scoop that comes with the Litter Genie is poo poo in comparison.

Bioshuffle posted:

Any recommendaions for a reputable and cheap refill option? There appears to be a whole bunch of them on Amazon and I'm not sure who to use.

I think we got ours from Target, but I can't comment on quality yet because the original refill is still going strong. If you find one you like more than the others, please post!

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 14, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

18 months after we got them, I give you Diana (black) and Byakko (grey tabby)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

black and gray is an A+ combo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Arsenic Lupin posted:

18 months after we got them, I give you Diana (black) and Byakko (grey tabby)

You should adopt a white cat to round out the monochrome :kimchi:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This guy has found a new spot he likes, good thing I had the shelf taken down and reinforced last year.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I took all your advice and got 2 things of litter genie and a litter lifter for each can. Both have been complete game changers. Scooping has gone from a moderately annoying chore to a complete breeze.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

All neckbeard, all the time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Get this cat an account

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I never thought I’d find a neckbeard “glorious” or “beautiful”, but here we are.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Toothless (all black) and Maggie (tuxedo). Toothless loves to holler all through the house when she wakes up and can't find us even though we're either in bed, the living room, or in our offices. Maggie decides when it's time for us to stop sleeping. They're sisters and they're the best ever.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

Toothless (all black) and Maggie (tuxedo). Toothless loves to holler all through the house when she wakes up and can't find us even though we're either in bed, the living room, or in our offices. Maggie decides when it's time for us to stop sleeping. They're sisters and they're the best ever.

These are my favorite kinds of cats. Goofnuggets.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I just got back from vacation today, and I think Sully missed me.

I'm not sure why the lighting makes her look like she doesn't have eyes, but :shrug:

ScrubLeague posted:

[absurdly adorable sweethearts]

How old are they? They are both extremely adorable. :3:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I guess they'll be 11 this year, we got them in 2012 as little babies (2 months) from the shelter. Good kitties.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Dramatic whiskers.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Jayne Doe posted:

Dramatic whiskers.

boop that snoot

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Morris is preparing for Easter time by eating the Easter grass on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can't remember if I posted this here but just came across it, from a couple months back.

https://i.imgur.com/zsrukyW.mp4