Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

slurm posted:

Professional class white millennials are getting a massive childcare subsidy in the form of being WFH now and able to take care of their kids in between sending two emails a day.

billy_madison_i_award_you_no_points.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wait I am a WFH millenial with NO KIDS and I'm sending WAY MORE than two emails a day, wtf???

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

Wait I am a WFH millenial with NO KIDS and I'm sending NO emails a day, wtf???

although I do have to do actual work a few times a week :shrug:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

slurm posted:

Professional class white millennials are getting a massive childcare subsidy in the form of being WFH now and able to take care of their kids in between sending two emails a day.

Are you eating your Wheaties my future genocidaire? Stay strong and healthy. Gonna need you in a decade or so.

E: make sure to keep that winning attitude strong and remain in top posting form. None of the posters in this subforum can hold a candle to you. They ain't poo poo champ. Keep on posting on!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 4, 2023

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
That's a really weird post. Anyway I guess the WFH people I know have really cherry jobs and I was hoping against hope that someone was finally getting a good deal in the US. I guess not.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

slurm posted:

That's a really weird post. Anyway I guess the WFH people I know have really cherry jobs and I was hoping against hope that someone was finally getting a good deal in the US. I guess not.

Technically as merchant marine you work from home too.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

slurm posted:

Why do you feel that it's a weird post? It suits you to a T. If you can lust for Russian civilian death, you can be convinced to support the death of an entire people, full stop. If this bothers you, consider grabbing onto and cultivating what little empathy and humanity you still retain. Thank you.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The WFH people here are definitely on the better end of the job spectrum but I'm bay area.

Having a lot of kids used to be the way since more hands could do more work and several would die anyways. Now the best way to give your offspring the best chances in life is to dedicate everything into one. This speaks to the high cost of medical and schooling and everything else.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

The WFH people here are definitely on the better end of the job spectrum but I'm bay area.

Having a lot of kids used to be the way since more hands could do more work and several would die anyways. Now the best way to give your offspring the best chances in life is to dedicate everything into one. This speaks to the high cost of medical and schooling and everything else.

You can really easily break your one kid doing that too, so it seems like kind of a nasty double bind.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

TheWeedNumber posted:

Why do you feel that it's a weird post? It suits you to a T. If you can lust for Russian civilian death, you can be convinced to support the death of an entire people, full stop. If this bothers you, consider grabbing onto and cultivating what little empathy and humanity you still retain. Thank you.

What the

Chill ad hominem attacks don't advance an argument in either direction and he isn't the only one that thinks WFH is easy mode as evidenced by companies trying to bring people back in.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

lightpole posted:

What the

Chill ad hominem attacks don't advance an argument in either direction and he isn't the only one that thinks WFH is easy mode as evidenced by companies trying to bring people back in.

Those companies deserve to be attacked btw

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

What the

Not talking about WFM but a prior issue. Hope that helps.

E: I didn't wanna leave it without recognizing your suggestion. I'll keep it in mind whenever I actually want to try to convince someone, not dunk on a horrible person. Thank you for suggesting it.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 4, 2023

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Obviously. Even more reason to respond logically with good info though.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Not talking about WFM but a prior issue. Hope that helps.

E: I didn't wanna leave it without recognizing your suggestion. I'll keep it in mind whenever I actually want to try to convince someone, not dunk on a horrible person. Thank you for suggesting it.

That issue is over and irrelevant. Just ?????? It like everyone else.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

slurm posted:

Are you a non-native English speaker?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

Obviously. Even more reason to respond logically with good info though.

That issue is over and irrelevant. Just ?????? It like everyone else.

Tracking.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Crab Dad posted:

Technically as merchant marine you work from home too.

Says a lot that in a thread that just took a curve into what the gently caress, this is the most egregious post. What the gently caress dude? What the gently caress? No. Don’t say poo poo like that.

The rest of y’all, this is the current event thread, where we post about current events. There is no current posters thread so… idk report and move on.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

FrozenVent posted:

Says a lot that in a thread that just took a curve into what the gently caress, this is the most egregious post. What the gently caress dude? What the gently caress? No. Don’t say poo poo like that.

There's a grain of truth in it in that I really don't understand at all what it's like to wake up every day (all year!) and grind through hours of traffic to work exclusively on a PC worse than my home PC, which I think is the traditional white collar experience honestly. I'm sorry I took a dig at WFH parents, I didn't realize the experience had been that bad for so many people because I probably only know really coddled WFHers (tech).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

slurm posted:

There's a grain of truth in it in that I really don't understand at all what it's like to wake up every day (all year!) and grind through hours of traffic to work exclusively on a PC worse than my home PC, which I think is the traditional white collar experience honestly. I'm sorry I took a dig at WFH parents, I didn't realize the experience had been that bad for so many people because I probably only know really coddled WFHers (tech).

My dude have you ever taken care of kids?

Imagine you had to do eight hours of PMS / SMS paperwork and parts order in a day. Also you have two safety meetings.

K now imagine doing that with a five year old running around the ECR.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm particularly bitter because a few months after I started my current job, the person who recommended I be hired was terminated because my employers tightened their telework requirements and gave them the choice of either moving to an area where they could be in the office two days a week or resign. As this person has a family in the state that they were living in, they had to resign. And now my employers are filling their former position with someone who lives in another country, so basically they canned someone who had been there for a few years, had a specialized degree of knowledge that uniquely qualified them for the role and was liked by everyone on our team only to pinch a few pennies by leaving the role vacant for six months and then hiring someone in a cheaper country.

I remember at the start of the pandemic there were tons of op-eds about how remote work could be revolutionary for workers and one of the biggest wins since the 40-hour work week (an arbitrary number in the modern era) and the weekend. Now apparently it's our responsibility to reinvigorate the downtown area so we can spend hours a day commuting just to do Zoom meetings in the office instead of from home? gently caress that poo poo. The only people clamoring for mandatory return to the office are middle managers who can't rule their fiefdoms of mediocrity with an iron fist anymore and corporate landlords who spent the past three years failing to adapt.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm particularly bitter because a few months after I started my current job, the person who recommended I be hired was terminated because my employers tightened their telework requirements and gave them the choice of either moving to an area where they could be in the office two days a week or resign. As this person has a family in the state that they were living in, they had to resign. And now my employers are filling their former position with someone who lives in another country, so basically they canned someone who had been there for a few years, had a specialized degree of knowledge that uniquely qualified them for the role and was liked by everyone on our team only to pinch a few pennies by leaving the role vacant for six months and then hiring someone in a cheaper country.

I remember at the start of the pandemic there were tons of op-eds about how remote work could be revolutionary for workers and one of the biggest wins since the 40-hour work week (an arbitrary number in the modern era) and the weekend. Now apparently it's our responsibility to reinvigorate the downtown area so we can spend hours a day commuting just to do Zoom meetings in the office instead of from home? gently caress that poo poo. The only people clamoring for mandatory return to the office are middle managers who can't rule their fiefdoms of mediocrity with an iron fist anymore and corporate landlords who spent the past three years failing to adapt.

Just to keep the thread (barely) on topic: https://fortune.com/2023/03/01/matthew-mcconaughey-salesforce-pay-reported-10-million-layoffs/

My company is pretty good about hiring remote workers for positions where it makes, sense, don't need sales support and engineering staff in office, when they are working with people spread across the globe, ya know?

HAVING SAID THAT

We moved one of our factories to Poland a few years ago, followed by a bunch of adminstrative stuff, and finally IT moved to India, and boy, let me tell you about how much fun it is trying to explain to tech support worker #96 that 3:00 AM EST is not an appropriate time to troubleshoot a device. I also enjoy arguing with our commercialization team about how there are 50 states, and SOMETIMES those 50 states might not agree on what makes something safe to use, so SOMETIMES we have to have specific documentation, tailored to those states.

Those are the days that make me feel like if I found a 20 in the street I would quit my job.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If things continue as they are I'm gonna be starting my own MIC house in a few years, because the bar for success is so very very low

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

God don't even get me started on WFH.

My previous employer, prior to the pandemic, had a fantastic WFH policy for over a decade until about 2019. Well before most companies even considered letting people WFH 1 day a week. People could WFH full time with zero issues. I would WFH 3 days a week, sometimes the entire week if the weather or metro was being stupid. Or if I just didn't feel like going in that week for whatever reason. It was fantastic, and combined with a low stress job, it made not getting paid well above the market rate in DC fine by me and most of my colleagues. We saw it as an unspoken rule that we were given that flexibility, and in exchange, we wouldn't raise hell about our pay not being as much as it would be for other DC based companies that paid more but required people to be in office 4-5 days a week. People would move a few hours away or states away from DC (with their managers approving it if it was far enough away) in order to buy houses, and just live somewhere where the cost of living was lower than DC.

About a year before the pandemic, a VP got the bright idea that WFH was stupid and stifling work. So over the course of about two months, we lost roughly 30% of our staff because people were told that they either had to start coming into the office 4 days a week, or take a severance package. They offered very pitiful relocation bonuses for those who had moved far enough away. The funniest part was, they were actually surprised by the number of people who said "Nah, gently caress that, and gently caress you!" So they began throwing money at people left and right to stay since they realized they hosed up with that approach, instead of just admitting maybe their idea was loving stupid and poorly thought out.

This lasted about a year before the pandemic hit, and even before that, it was a poo poo show. They thought the best compromise would be to tell people that they could just work core hours (10AM-2PM) in office, and work the remainder of their hours at home that day in addition to one day at home every week, plus no questions asked if you needed to WFH for whatever reason (repair guy coming out, kid sick, etc). So of course, people would come in, work those core hours, then go home and turn their email on and proceed to do nothing. Pretty much shooting productivity right in the balls. Once the pandemic happened, they like many other employees, dragged their feet for about a week before saying everyone should WFH indefinitely. They finally decided last spring to just stop renting a bunch of offices, and have most of us WFH FT. :psyduck:

Anyways, WFH can be loving amazing, but it's really dependent on your manager and your job. One of my bosses was an absolute delight to work for, and let me get my poo poo done in peace when I WFH. My most recent boss (who subsequently drove me to quit) micromanaged me constantly, would get pissy when I refused to work into the evening or on weekends to catch things up, and would constantly ping me for poo poo that I was not remotely responsible for, but would ghost for hours on end whenever you needed something from them. It loving sucked, mostly because the attitude with that boss and her boss was "Well you WFH, so you're always at work, therefore..." which, no, gently caress no. I would have rather gone into an office 5 days at that point than deal with that bullshit.

TLDR: WFH can be a great perk to have, but it's not the "I can gently caress off and do whatever I want/free childcare!" scenario a lot of people who don't WFH think it is. It's extremely dependent on how good of a manager/job you have.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It was really fun having our north america payroll get shuttered and have it all done in europe now. Have to submit saturday night even though payroll for the week doesnt close for another 9 days. Corrections have to be made within 2 days of that saturday night, they may get to it after 14 business days, but that runs into the actual payroll closing deadline so any corrections will be made on payroll's side within 2-4 weeks. Also if payroll fucks up like they normally due reporting it to your manager hurts their feelings and they'll fix it 6-8 weeks after they complete a "review process of the claimed error". Any emails sent after poland's end of day wont be read, you have to submit it when they're in the office, so by like 10am eastern. All conference calls are scheduled at a time that euro people can attend if they want to, even if it only relates to NA operations, so 0930est at the latest. When i was in the yukon i had to wake up for a conference call at like 430am local time thursday mornings so i could say "nothings broken estimated completion of project in 3 weeks"

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

bengy81 posted:

We moved one of our factories to Poland a few years ago, followed by a bunch of adminstrative stuff, and finally IT moved to India, and boy, let me tell you about how much fun it is trying to explain to tech support worker #96 that 3:00 AM EST is not an appropriate time to troubleshoot a device. I also enjoy arguing with our commercialization team about how there are 50 states, and SOMETIMES those 50 states might not agree on what makes something safe to use, so SOMETIMES we have to have specific documentation, tailored to those states.

Those are the days that make me feel like if I found a 20 in the street I would quit my job.

So this is weird to me, are other nations significantly more federalized under a central government then the states? Work-wise I have to explain the geographical differences between nations like “I take your country and put it in my state and can still rattle it around” and “if you travel 300km in one straight line in Europe chances are you’ll have crossed at least one border, here you’ll still be in the same state” but it never occurred to me that there would be such tight federal control vs the US which is a weird mix of tight and loose depending on the subject matter.

Just another blind spot in my background I guess.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Depends on your domain. For example in Canada maritime transport is always federal and worker’s comp is almost always provincial.

So Quebec can have a different standard for hi-visibility strips on coveralls than the federal government, and you need those coveralls unless you’re working in a fully federal domain. So if you’re on a dock, federal domain, your fed coveralls are ok.

Drive the crane off the dock, you’re suddenly* under the provincial labor code so your coveralls are no longer in regs.

In practice you’d go for the most restrictive of the two standard, but heh.

*this is kind of a legal grey area

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
At my last job, WFH ended after about 8 months. At my current job, it ended literally the week before I started.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
They are trying to undo WFH at my office, calling it 'Hybrid Work' but demanding people come in at least 3 days a week.

Its not working.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

FrozenVent posted:

Depends on your domain. For example in Canada maritime transport is always federal and worker’s comp is almost always provincial.

So Quebec can have a different standard for hi-visibility strips on coveralls than the federal government, and you need those coveralls unless you’re working in a fully federal domain. So if you’re on a dock, federal domain, your fed coveralls are ok.

Drive the crane off the dock, you’re suddenly* under the provincial labor code so your coveralls are no longer in regs.

In practice you’d go for the most restrictive of the two standard, but heh.

*this is kind of a legal grey area

Another example is that in the US, airplane maintenance standards and record keeping policies are tightly regulated by the FAA, but how and when you’re required to maintain your car/get an inspection/emissions standards are all regulated at the state level.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

CommieGIR posted:

They are trying to undo WFH at my office, calling it 'Hybrid Work' but demanding people come in at least 3 days a week.

Its not working.

My employer sent everyone home march 2020, productivity increased, they polled everyone and the overwhelming response was stay wfh, so that is now default. They remodeled the building we own for hotdesking/coworking if people/a team want to come in, but lol that rarely happens. Also got rid of the leases of two other buildings in our office complex.

And surprise, our hiring pool is now the entire country instead of our metro area! We thankfully were well positioned for the transition because 80% of our apps were already cloud-based. Now it’s more like 95%, it owns.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1632154717621977089

This seems a perfectly rational, normal, non-fascist autocratic statement to make.

fake edit- https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1632165247099326464

:lol:

CommieGIR posted:

Its not working.

We did the same thing at my last job. Due to family health issues (77-year old dad had a TIA, brother has Lupus) and two years of demonstrating it could be done, I said I couldn't continue there with my staff job unless I continued remote and came in only if necessary. Most of my coworkers got it. My boss wasn't having it so I was told I'd be let go in August after one last major event. I said gently caress that and resigned in July.

I was fired from my adjunct position as a result. (As a civvie, should I be surprised at this from Mr. Retired O-5?)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 5, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
russia.png:

https://www.newsweek.com/andrey-botikov-covid-vaccine-creator-dead-strangled-moscow-russia-1785352

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He didn't fall out a window so I suspect foul play

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lightpole posted:

Well America is trying to address the discrepancy between then and now in one way.

Two, if you count the return of child labor.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Not really a current events thing but, hey old GiP regular Shalhavet, if you see this, ping me. It's been years since we talked and I miss you brother.

Hope you see this and you're doing well. PMs or my username at cordilon dot net. Or Discord, username#0294

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 5, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

CommieGIR posted:

Its not working.

My soon-to-be-ex-company did three attempts at scaling back mandatory WFH for everyone.

Each time they started off with a "welcome back to the office!" party.

Go ahead and guess how that went.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
[quote="Kazinsal" post="5302s49393"]
Not really a current events thing but, hey old GiP regular Shalhavet, if you see this, ping me. It's been years since we talked and I miss you brother.

Hope you see this and you're doing well. PMs or my username at cordilon dot net. Or Discord, username#0294
[/quote]

Still alive! Moved twice, got married, have a kid, still in.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1631734104357044235?s=20

Building new cities just for funsies is straight up dictator poo poo. Look at Naypyidaw in Myanmar, or the new capital Sisi is building in Egypt.

I made it like a minute into this before Trump started talking about flying cars or some bullshit.

None of this will happen if he's elected but Democrats will be running against....government subsidized housing, work programs and UBI for children.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Their outword prpblem with such a program is its not means tested

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sacrist65 posted:

None of this will happen if he's elected but Democrats will be running against....government subsidized housing, work programs and UBI for children.

So, business as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

Their outword prpblem with such a program is its not means tested

paper bag is a means