Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm pretty sure esrb doesn't really give a gently caress beyond the first couple hours

Fire Emblem has so much child murder, and not in-game child murder, I mean cutscene murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

One of my favorite things about this game is that most of the stories have very smart villains. They all know you’re coming for them, which makes it even better when you beat their asses.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm pretty sure esrb doesn't really give a gently caress beyond the first couple hours

Fire Emblem has so much child murder, and not in-game child murder, I mean cutscene murder

a lot of dark stuff in primrose's story happens in the first 5 minutes of you opening the game if you start with her so i don't think that really applies here

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm going to need a trip report on this and how it goes.

I'll make one if I encounter it again on the sea while having Ochette in my party. I have heard it's one of the better captures on account on the support capabilities it can provide. Though I imagine it's going to go easier than my first fight against it (which wasn't all that hard, just long on account of it's 95k HP). Plus, I have Arcanist!Osvald now with quite possibly the best staff for an Arcanist to have, which will make it even easier to sustain myself for long fights. Plus, my main team are in their low-mid 40s now, while I fought it the first time at around low-mid 30s (long story short; Cleric!Osvald and Armsmaster!Hikari carried the fight in terms of damage dealing; Partitio and Scholar!Temenos was good support + they could chip in for weakness breaking during certain lulls).

And, well, maybe also getting my party members I'm not using up to speed + getting Castti and Agnea to join my party. I kind of got sidetracked by a lot by the sidequest/exploration stuff.

Rand Brittain posted:

Who is enforcing the dodgy contract Partitio's dad signed? There appear to have been no consequences to just beating the poo poo out of the landowner's local goons and taking physical possession of the deed, so, I guess, "nobody"?

I think the local goon himself was the one enforcing the contract. And after Giff spilled the beans on how a certain part of the contract is fraudulent, the residents got some legal leverage in addition to just plain rage at said goon. Doesn't really matter though since Partitio will be meeting said landowner in the present day.

Lamare
Mar 7, 2014
Chapter 5 Hikari's Final Boss :

Those chapter 5 bosses don't kid around, uh? I steamrolled most bosses so far while being underleveled and undergeared, but getting my entire party stunlocked on one of the final rounds while Mugen's Dark Form was having 5 attacks a turns was incredibly anticlimatic. Completely took me by surprise. Then everything reset and you need to kill the boring first phase again. drat! Fun fight, but that was so unexpected at the end there. Full HP to 0 in one turn.

Overall, this is such a big improvement from the first game, but I still feel there's some overall pacing problems. I'm trying my best to not overlevel so the content remains relevant, but it's very difficult. It's just too easy to cakewalk most of the game if you're exploring a bit. I feel like maybe some level-sync for chapters bosses would help? But even then you can still have access to equipment and subjobs that just make it as easy. There should be some sort of restriction so the power creep don't get out of control so early, but I'm not sure how you could do it. It just feels weird to have some amazing hype before a boss and then kill him in 1 turn of Hikari's Limit Break. I would remove him from the party, but of course you can't since he's somehow the main character I've chosen. What a weird choice they carried from OT1.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm amused that Primrose's story was so dark that they went the complete opposite direction with Agnea and her story is almost all smiles all the time. I like how with her Chapter 3 there was no conflict beyond talking down someone's stage fright, like some other chapters have no bosses or even combat but this is just Agnea having a great time inspiring and helping out fellow performers with no corrupt jerks or wild monsters or whatever interrupting things.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

very cool that in Partitio's prologue story, you just happen to run into the same apothecary woman from Castti's story.. Hope there's more crossover like this in other stories too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

DLC Inc posted:

very cool that in Partitio's prologue story, you just happen to run into the same apothecary woman from Castti's story.. Hope there's more crossover like this in other stories too.

I'm pretty sure I've seen (Throne ch. 4 spoilers) a Pirro lookalike as a soldier in Cassti's Ch. 2 Sai section.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Combo posted:

The mobile gacha game has some dark story lines too.

Hard to get much darker than "is a gacha game" tbh.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've just started this game going with Osvald first and looping clockwise around the continent(s). So far I've just finished Throne's chapter 1 and I feel terrible for anyone that encounters my party on a dark night because they're getting mugged, coerced, and possibly knocked out for good measure.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's funny that the characters most threatening at night are all on the eastern continent.

Wait until you recruit Temenos...!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m still midway through, and I’m just wondering: does every character get at least one chapter with no bosses/minimal battling?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

That's been the case for me so far. I don't mind it, though.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
I think Hikari's the exception, but that makes sense, because he's a heroic swordsman.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did Castti’s Chapter 2 in Winterbloom earlier and I’m not sure why the game felt the need to make me tear up but it did, congrats game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah that part got to me harder than I expected anything in the game to.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Do I need the boat to get to the third city in the Brightlands?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I did Castti’s Chapter 2 in Winterbloom earlier and I’m not sure why the game felt the need to make me tear up but it did, congrats game.

Same.

Hell, it even hit Osvald.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
welp I ended up going team TACO (Throné, Agnea, Castti, Osvald), and they're all of them mad overpowered. Throné and Agnea's EX skills together trivialize most random encounters, concoct is mad broken, and Osvald just does stupid damage and also can analyze. I'm assuming the POTH backup crew gets equally stupid with enough investment but I don't mind either way.

I've enjoyed all their grim tragic tales far better than Octopath 1, but I gotta give first place to Agnea of the stories I've seen so far; having a final boss that is explicitly just a dance-off even if it's mechanically treated as an RPG battle is a brilliantly simple idea, and doubly so that Agnea fuckin wrote her own final boss theme, because she was the actual boss in that encounter. A+, you precious cinnamon roll.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Do I need the boat to get to the third city in the Brightlands?

Kinda mechanics spoiler: it is locked behind a character's story progress; more specifically it is where Throné's final chapter takes place.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did a scenario writer put down the name "Thorne" on a piece of a paper, only to angrily to ball it up and toss it in the bin?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

welp I ended up going team TACO (Throné, Agnea, Castti, Osvald), and they're all of them mad overpowered. Throné and Agnea's EX skills together trivialize most random encounters, concoct is mad broken, and Osvald just does stupid damage and also can analyze. I'm assuming the POTH backup crew gets equally stupid with enough investment but I don't mind either way.

Agnea with Inventor's divine skill, setup for starting the match with 3 bp, and Merchant's "start match with latent power" makes her an insane teammate.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean Castti can do that without needing the inventor skill and also gives everyone 4 free BP plus she can give BP every turn so long as your supply of leaves/latent power lasts.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Yeah, Cassti is fantastic too. I really like how many options you have for a solid team in this.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Encountered my first weird bug. I wanted the Resting, Resting skill for Hikari. It’s in the Beasting Village in Totohaha to the left after you enter. The NPC just doesn’t exist in my save for some reason. Day or night, reloaded the game, etc. I’m not doing any quests there and already recruited Ochette. I’m like 20 hours in so no way I’m restarting but it’s a great ability so kind of frustrating. I got deep sleep as a substitute since you generally get hit anyway so the sleep doesn’t seem very impactful.

I made a new save file and beelined to the village to test and he’s definitely there so something is wonky with my earlier save that I can’t figure out. Anyone else run into something like this?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Gunslinger posted:

Encountered my first weird bug. I wanted the Resting, Resting skill for Hikari. It’s in the Beasting Village in Totohaha to the left after you enter. The NPC just doesn’t exist in my save for some reason. Day or night, reloaded the game, etc. I’m not doing any quests there and already recruited Ochette. I’m like 20 hours in so no way I’m restarting but it’s a great ability so kind of frustrating. I got deep sleep as a substitute since you generally get hit anyway so the sleep doesn’t seem very impactful.

I made a new save file and beelined to the village to test and he’s definitely there so something is wonky with my earlier save that I can’t figure out. Anyone else run into something like this?

You probably recruited them. They won’t be in town if so.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

You probably recruited them. They won’t be in town if so.

I think I ruled that out but I’ll check when I get home, cheers.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finished Castti's story as my first one. Dang what a loving good game. Castti is such a great lady.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m trying to teach Fatal Fang to Hikari which supposedly comes from an Elderly Man in Clockbank but I can’t find him. Anybody know where he is?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I forget which house exactly it is but it's on the west side. You'll go upstairs and there will but a guy blocking a door to an outside balcony. Stabby grandpa is out on that balcony during the day.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I forget which house exactly it is but it's on the west side. You'll go upstairs and there will but a guy blocking a door to an outside balcony. Stabby grandpa is out on that balcony during the day.

Ohhhh I hadn’t tried knocking that kid out. Thanks!

Edit: lol he’s too strong for me, I can’t even challenge him yet. I guess I’ll get Thousand Blades in the meantime… nevermind that guy one-shotted me with Thousand Blades hahaha

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 5, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Really wanna play team pooh because I'm a child.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wow, the recommended levels for chapters jump pretty quickly. I just did chapters with recommended levels 21, 24 and 26 and the next one is 29. My main character is 32 but everyone else is 23-25, jeez.

I bought the boat but the sea has a recommended level of 34 lmao

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

The travel banter in this is really adorable.

I haven't found a way to re-watch ones with three or four members, sadly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Those are in the journal, if you go to the sidequest menu and enter the "all" tab.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Didn't even think to look there, appreciated!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Is it just me or does Octopath 2 have a ton of extra side dungeons compared to the first game? I think I'm going to have to backtrack all the low-mid level zones once I finish up the chapter 2s. I ran one on a whim and found another rusted weapon and didn't even have a boss fight for it. I need a BOTW-style map marking system so I can X out dungeons I've cleared since IDK how else to keep track of it all.

I also ran into Father Dagon :zoid: and managed to get it down to about 40% of its HP before it decided to end me with a 2000 damage AOE followed by a 7999 damage aoe. :supaburn:

...I bet I could kill them if I went back with 3 merchants and a shitload of money though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish this game had a checklist like the last two Ys games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was wondering why Throné’s chapter 2 boss was so loving hard compared to everything else and then I realized that her chapter 2 basically splits into Mother and Father branches and the Mother route is level 7 while the father is 16. My party is in the 16-17 range right now and the Father route boss still edged me out. Gonna target Mother right now instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Finished Castti's story as my first one. Dang what a loving good game. Castti is such a great lady.

I really like the Castti is an absurdly good person while also not taking any poo poo or hesitating to do things to save people. They do a good job of painting her as a force of nature.