Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Babe Magnet posted:

A lot of the martial arts are pretty lack-luster, even taking into account using them correctly with high blue bar or as movement. I've yet to come across anything as cool as the hammer command-grab or the sword move where you just kind of walk forward for a few second and did a big stupid swing lol. not to mention half the poo poo you can get up to with tonfas/fists

It kind of sucks finding a weapon you like (for me it's the bo staff this thing shreds) and then having to wait several hours to potentially get a cool new move to do with it.

I’m finding I use martial arts a lot more now that I have a little better handle on the game. Staying at neutral/low spirit and spamming spells and martial arts seems better than trying to constantly go for spirit attacks at high spirit. I’m quite liking the dual swords move that ends in a jump, since if you disrupt an enemy, you can directly goomba stomp it for a crit.

Thumbtacks posted:

I noticed at one point I was blocking an attack and some characters popped up and one of them was blue. I have no idea what that triggered, any ideas?

The character for the opposing phase pops up when you use it to counter an elemental attack. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it when blocking, but you can throw ice directly into zhang bao’s fire spells and a “water” character pops up and negates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

a.p. dent posted:

i’m doing all the side missions cause the combat rules + i found a rare dragon pot item in one of them

Yeah, the game is awesome. It’s got problems, but I absolutely love the combat.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Martial arts are incredible if you bother to build your armor set to improve them.

There are a lot of bonuses for martial arts uses, and the martial arts do spirit damage quickly.

Elements are super important for canceling enemy spells and buffs. Matching the weapon enchantment with the right damage type kills enemies 2-3x as fast as without it active.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Lu Bu is a chump, took him down first try. (he was not actually a chump, I ended the fight with like 20% hp, no healing items, and I would've died like five times over if I didn't have +4 guan yu armor.)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man thanks for whoever mentioned you can block to deflect, that's a game changer. Still haven't beat the first boss, but I'll get there!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

satanic splash-back posted:

Martial arts are incredible if you bother to build your armor set to improve them.

There are a lot of bonuses for martial arts uses, and the martial arts do spirit damage quickly.

Elements are super important for canceling enemy spells and buffs. Matching the weapon enchantment with the right damage type kills enemies 2-3x as fast as without it active.

This is what I was thinking. I imagine spells are really gear dependent too, since the amount of elemental attack you get on gear is pretty significant compared to what you get from levels.

Also, from very limited testing the elemental weakness caused by status effects is a big deal and greatly increases your damage.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
As a Nioh and Sekiro veteran, I'm struggling hard with the timing for deflecting. I just beat the big monkey in the second level, but it felt more like I got lucky with the timings than I knew what I was doing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

Man thanks for whoever mentioned you can block to deflect, that's a game changer. Still haven't beat the first boss, but I'll get there!

It really is a fucker of a boss so early but it definitely gets you trained up. Don’t get greedy!

Now about this stupid Aoye cow…

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm playing on PC and am having trouble making it run smoothly, even though I have a 4090. How can I get this game to run ok?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
am I totally missing something in how to restock arrows from your stash? I don't know why they didn't make it so you get them automatically when you rest at a banner :confused:

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

lu bu fight owned

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SpiritOfLenin posted:

lu bu fight owned

Yeah just beat him and man that was a rush. Ice trap is real good on that fight.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

Man LB is a sick fight, I’m getting my rear end kicked and I absolutely do not care

It's my favorite fight in any Nioh-lite game so far. Made me feel like a loving Wuxia badass to go toe-toe with Lu Bu, I even love that you don't beat him; you start to match him and he fucks off .

I love that that fight teaches you multiple parries, felt like Genichiro or Lady Butterfly: "okay NOW here is the REAL game" moment. And the multi-parries make you feel like you have improved at the game over time; Lu Bu literally teaches you all the nuisances of the system, all while being extremely challenging but fair. Amazing boss design.

Theme loving owned too.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 5, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

George H.W. oval office posted:

It really is a fucker of a boss so early but it definitely gets you trained up. Don’t get greedy!

gently caress THAT COW.

Stay away from his back at all costs. That tentacle mutli hit move he does will close to one-shot you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Takes No Damage posted:

:negative:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1632306511501225985?s=20

Wondering this as well. I thought it would be their spirit breaking to get you the big red counter but that's not it.

I haven't fully tested this but I think the glass breaking sound happens when you hurt an enemy enough to the point where their maximum spirit gauge gets reduced

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I haven't fully tested this but I think the glass breaking sound happens when you hurt an enemy enough to the point where their maximum spirit gauge gets reduced

I think the glass shattering sound is specifically for when you break a part on an enemy (e.g. by deflecting the first boss' critical attacks in the second phase), which also decreases their spirit gauge when you do it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If you’re having trouble on a boss make sure your morale is at least equal to theirs. Lu Bu was way more manageable when I wasn’t 2 morale below him

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Cirina posted:

Lu Bu is a chump, took him down first try. (he was not actually a chump, I ended the fight with like 20% hp, no healing items, and I would've died like five times over if I didn't have +4 guan yu armor.)

I first tried Lu Bu as well but I made sure to grind up to morale 25 first. His fight definitely suits playing patiently by blocking and fishing for big deflects. Now that I've upgraded the heavy armor set the dude outside drops, have a giga-block hammer, and access to the earth taunt, I've been tanking him for people in recruitment.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

If you’re having trouble on a boss make sure your morale is at least equal to theirs. Lu Bu was way more manageable when I wasn’t 2 morale below him

yeah, morale makes a huge difference in terms of damage done/taken. if you're struggling with a boss, make sure you've got all the flags in a mission that you can, and if you're still struggling, then grind to 25 morale before fighting them, as you regain all your lost morale points when rechallenging a boss

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I kind of dislike the morale system, it's not particularly fun to either be unnecessarily weak against boss or have to comb through a level you have already beaten because you missed some stuff

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

During the fight against Dong Zhou spells finally clicked for me. It sucks that Metal, the spellcasting stat seems to have garbage elemental spells, but after getting the Earth stalagmite spells and figuring out the timing on the weapon change deflection you can just double cast it after every other enemy combo because you'll have tons of spirit. Went on to do the Cao Cao duel side mission and just wrecked him like that.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

One thing that might not be obvious about spells is that you can cast them repeatedly even with an empty focus bar. You cast as it regenerates and as long as you don't get hit (and stunned) it can be easy to spell your way through large portions of levels.

A full suit of +elemental damage makes a big difference too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

George H.W. oval office posted:

i just beat that boss yesterday, it is some kinda bullshit imo

then again it's the first proper boss challenge since stage 1 so hey yo

(e)

TulliusCicero posted:

gently caress THAT COW.

Stay away from his back at all costs. That tentacle mutli hit move he does will close to one-shot you
I found out that hanging near its back means you can rapidfire deflect into the inevitable flailing and get a full spirit bar for basically free. beat it in two or three tries after that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 5, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyway i just unlocked respecs as a result and i have no loving idea what i'm doing, pls advise, i stink at planning builds in games in general

(e) really appreciate it for being free tho

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 5, 2023

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You can tell your allies to do a special move?! I must have missed that screen

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

It's my favorite fight in any Nioh-lite game so far. Made me feel like a loving Wuxia badass to go toe-toe with Lu Bu, I even love that you don't beat him; you start to match him and he fucks off .

I love that that fight teaches you multiple parries, felt like Genichiro or Lady Butterfly: "okay NOW here is the REAL game" moment. And the multi-parries make you feel like you have improved at the game over time; Lu Bu literally teaches you all the nuisances of the system, all while being extremely challenging but fair. Amazing boss design.

Theme loving owned too.

The best part of that fight is that his attack timings with a spear perfectly let you deflect -> heavy attack -> deflect the next one, and you can do that for almost every attack. Turns it into a beautiful Sekiro dance

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

PSA: if you're going wood, do not sleep on inner breath. the description makes it seem like a pretty mid effect, but you generate an absurd amount of extra beast gauge, to the point that i'm regularly getting a summon every combat arena. extremely useful for extending your flasks with qinglong and letting you facetank encounters you otherwise have no interest in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i want to go wood virtue just so i can use a staff more effectively

more games need simple whupass sticks imo

(e) haven't seen any drop since stage 1 though and that was a 1* 😭

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ciaphas posted:

Same here. Wood and water feel like they should be fun. I think the respec system means you get to either role play or min max for level bosses depending how you want to play.

That fire mage boss sucks though. I probably should have had better than morale level 10.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

Maxing out Hong Jing's friendship will give you her staff. You can also do a lot of co-op and spend your accolades at the hermit chief for targeted lootboxes if you're not getting enough staves to drop.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh poo poo is that what accolades are for, that's really cool

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm going Wood/Fire, which so far (early days yet) mainly seems to mean that spears have the best scaling for me. Any other weapon types I should be keeping an eye out for as they drop?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I believe ring saber scales with wood, dual halberds scale with wood and fire, and most spear variants scale with wood to a degree.

I assume if this is anything like nioh, eventually you can just alter the weapon scaling to use whatever you want.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I haven't found a way to alter the elemental scaling or swap around martial arts yet, if you even can, but I also haven't looked too hard lol. If it helps I haven't felt gimped using my 0 water poleaxe while being heavily invested in water, I don't think it matters too much.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 5, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

I believe ring saber scales with wood, dual halberds scale with wood and fire, and most spear variants scale with wood to a degree.

I assume if this is anything like nioh, eventually you can just alter the weapon scaling to use whatever you want.

liu bei uses what i assume to be are wood-virtue dual swords, maybe he delivers those at 10

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ciaphas posted:

liu bei uses what i assume to be are wood-virtue dual swords, maybe he delivers those at 10

They scale with Water, Wood, and Fire(in that order)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I still really want to give a mage setup a try, but only four spell slots is really annoying.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

satanic splash-back posted:

One thing that might not be obvious about spells is that you can cast them repeatedly even with an empty focus bar. You cast as it regenerates and as long as you don't get hit (and stunned) it can be easy to spell your way through large portions of levels.

A full suit of +elemental damage makes a big difference too.

My problem is with metals poison spells especially, since it does so little up front damage and the poison build up requires the enemy to either stay in the spray or the bog, neither of which is going to happen because they are too mobile. So even casting from -1000 spirit isn't going to help , it would just leave you open because the enemies will just attack through your animation and ignore the poison fields. Other elements seems to handle this better by being faster, doing more damage, having more range, working double casts etc.

Thumbtacks posted:

I still really want to give a mage setup a try, but only four spell slots is really annoying.

Yeah, this really sucks, even just having another 4 would make it actually ok, because as it is now you don't have enough slots to even cover workhorse spells, let alone the specific stuff for various elements. And having to run back to the flags every time you want to exploit a specific one really sucks the fun out of it. Having 8 would still not be enough to cover every element both offensively and defensively but it would be enough to actually be a toolbox you can use.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
magic seems like it would take a lot of investment before it starts doing damage comparable to just whacking a guy with a sword, and most of the real good stuff is locked behind morale levels anyways so have fun not using most of your kit for 3/4ths of the level

e: I tried using the basic stone spike spell on the horse hairball boss, since he was a water element boss. He was so big that he would clip into me and push me just out of range so my stone spikes always missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The level one fire spell casts quick, does really good damage, and applies burn quickly if you throw some points into fire.

The elemental weapon spells do seem questionably useful if you don't have a bunch of points in water and spell duration gear. Otoh they're cheap and cast quick, so they're not that hard to reapply.