Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Alaois posted:

Went to bed before the main, read back through the gdt when i woke up, genuinely shocked at how many people here expected Ciryl loving Gane to pose any kind of challenge to Jon Jones

So with your perfect capacity for prognostication supported by facts and logic you clearly are now independently wealthy having remortgaged your house to bet all available wealth on JJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skjorte posted:

It's silly to Always Bad one of the more skilled and athletic heavyweights in history. Other than showing bad grappling IQ against and being lead blanketed by Ngannou (in a fight that could easily have been scored 3-2 in his favor if the one round where Ngannou didn't throw a strike had been scored according to the letter of the law), Gane's shown to be a good, dangerous fighter at a size Jones hasn't had to contest with before. Jones hasn't looked like a world-beater for the past half decade and barely scraped by a no-legged Thiago Santos; him completing obliterating Gane was by no means a no brainer.

He sure did make Gane look like poo poo, though. Massively disappointing.

Im sorry i disrespected the UFC's paper champion who won the paper belt by beating the two fattest guys in the fat guy division

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Who are you even talking about?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stipe was always the most interesting fight for Jones at HW and it seems probable we'll get that now.
Francis was also interesting because the man has death for hands, but that's not happening so it's neither here nor there.
Assuming Jones would cruise this fight was foolish, even though that turned out true. Being incredulous that people thought he might get bullied and beaten up having made a huge gain in weight against a naturally significantly bigger fighter is peak hindsight.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't care how much weight he had to put on for the fight, he was fighting a guy who got out-wrestled by Francis Ngannou and he's still Jon Jones

granted i thought it was going to be a boring 5 round unanimous decision instead of a 1st round choke out but still

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

Who are you even talking about?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Alaois posted:

Went to bed before the main, read back through the gdt when i woke up, genuinely shocked at how many people here expected Ciryl loving Gane to pose any kind of challenge to Jon Jones

I'm just here for your geography lessons

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Atom is that you

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm just here for your geography lessons

i may not be a genius about MMA but goddamnit i know how to read a map

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Unperson_47 posted:

Looks like it's just a plate that can be removed with the fighter's name on it so they probably just change out the plate for the new champ. I would hope the previous champ keeps their plate. Here's Shevchenko holding one of them.

why do you guys keep calling these rubies, they are obviously sockets filled with the blood of the defeated

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

ilmucche posted:

Actually gane should've gotten better value off the dick kick

Jon Jones steroid use continues to pay dividends, even if his dick and balls were the things pulsing this time

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

Im sorry i disrespected the UFC's paper champion who won the paper belt by beating the two fattest guys in the fat guy division

waht

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
P sure its a reference to Gane becoming interim champ by beating Lewis and then getting back into title contention by beating Tuivasa

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

okay multiple people seem confused by this so maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but did Ciryl Gane's two successful interim championship fights not involve him fighting Derrick Lewis and Tai Tuivasa?

maybe i'm being unfair to Derrick Lewis but Tai Tuivasa is uh

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there wasnt a belt on the line for the tuivasa fight

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

there wasnt a belt on the line for the tuivasa fight

okay that's where my confusion was, I thought that the Tuivasa fight was for the interim belt again after Ngannou was stripped

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Also Chris Barnett is the fattest man in the division.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

LobsterMobster posted:

Him vs Jones is a money title fight tbh

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Chris Barnett has forever endeared himself for that wheel kick into sumo flip he landed a year or so ago. Probably the best prelim moment I've ever seen.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Alaois posted:

okay multiple people seem confused by this so maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but did Ciryl Gane's two successful interim championship fights not involve him fighting Derrick Lewis and Tai Tuivasa?

maybe i'm being unfair to Derrick Lewis but Tai Tuivasa is uh

Tuivasa was on a winning streak at the time which made it all seem somewhat reasonable. But lol there is no one in this division anymore and after Jones fights Stipe it will be entirely irrelevant.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
maybe if the UFC paid fighters instead of anyone reasonably athletic and north of 225lbs seeing the NFL as safer, more ethical, and vastly more lucrative

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Obviously UFC should pay fighters more but the difference between MMA pay (in any organization, even for champions) and NFL pay is astronomical isn't it?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Brut posted:

Obviously UFC should pay fighters more but the difference between MMA pay (in any organization, even for champions) and NFL pay is astronomical isn't it?
I can't substantiate this, but back when Jones was at his peak I recall people on this very forum saying he out-earned both his brothers.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

blue footed boobie posted:

Tuivasa was on a winning streak at the time which made it all seem somewhat reasonable. But lol there is no one in this division anymore and after Jones fights Stipe it will be entirely irrelevant.

Blades and possibly Aspinall (who's demonstrably dangerous and talented, and with some actual grappling in his back pocket, though he's way too untested in the wrestling department to know how he'd fare against Jones, not to mention coming off of his one knee exploding) could pose interesting challenges, though obviously they have very limited pay per view appeal.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Jones is unfortunately very, very good at his job inside the cage.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

okay that's fair and a horrible omission on my part

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Shumagorath posted:

I can't substantiate this, but back when Jones was at his peak I recall people on this very forum saying he out-earned both his brothers.

Even if that's correct, does the answer change if we exclude exactly Jones, McGregor and Rousey?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Shumagorath posted:

I’d imagine on average and controlling for outliers, and considering a random lineman doesn’t pay for his own training, NFL is far and away better

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Skjorte posted:

Blades and possibly Aspinall (who's demonstrably dangerous and talented, and with some actual grappling in his back pocket, though he's way too untested in the wrestling department to know how he'd fare against Jones, not to mention coming off of his one knee exploding) could pose interesting challenges, though obviously they have very limited pay per view appeal.

If I were a more conspiratorial man, I would say there are reasons Sergei Pavlovich was the alternate in case Gane or Jones could not fight, and that those reasons might be adjacent to why Blaydes is fighting Pavlovich next instead of getting a title shot.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Gane losing to Jones isn't a huge shock but I figured he'd last longer against Jon than loving Chael Sonnen lmao

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

NFL league minimum for a rookie is $750k, and that number goes up the more years in the league the player has

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

LobsterMobster posted:

NFL league minimum for a rookie is $750k, and that number goes up the more years in the league the player has

And meanwhile there are probably ~20 UFC fighters pulling in that much.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

lol weren't amanda nunes and other champions getting 500k for title fights

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

lol weren't amanda nunes and other champions getting 500k for title fights

Deveison supposedly got like $150k against Moreno

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Sorry to say the reign of Gane is Gane just like that :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think it was reasonable to expect Jones to do anything other than what he did with Gane. He's not gonna throw hands with a world class kickboxer who can't wrestle.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Skjorte posted:

He sure did make Gane look like poo poo, though. Massively disappointing.

Gane looked terrified. Kinda reminds me of Conor/Aldo how bad Jones got in his head

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gane should have stuck with his initial strategy

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think it was reasonable to expect Jones to do anything other than what he did with Gane. He's not gonna throw hands with a world class kickboxer who can't wrestle.

jonjonesvsthiagosantos.mp4

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

jonjonesvsthiagosantos.mp4

Sure but Santos is a long time BJJ black belt (Lineage: Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Francisco Mansor > Carlos Henrique > André Terencio > Thiago Santos)