Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
It was really good, but I ran into a difficulty spike that prevented me from continuing and there was no way to go back to a previous area and grind more. I guess I found out why every walkthrough listed ways to maximize experience gained from every quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

It was really good, but I ran into a difficulty spike that prevented me from continuing and there was no way to go back to a previous area and grind more. I guess I found out why every walkthrough listed ways to maximize experience gained from every quest.

There's a ton of ways to improve your chances with any encounter.
The maps are usually filled with all kinds of trash that can be crafted into useful consumables that can save your rear end in an encounter.
Quite often you can also just go somewhere else and return later.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
It was the part where your ship crashes after the volcano blew up so I couldn't go back and each of the three encounters in the area accessible to me destroyed me instantly, even some no-name bandits hiding in ruins.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not a "game" per se, but are there any programs that run on a modern PC that are similar to Kid Pix, the graphic program for kids that was on Mac OS back in the 90s?

I don't think I'm interested in tablet or phone stuff since my kid doesn't have access to one except for long car trips, but if there's an exceptional one I'll take it into consideration.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Art Sqool...kind of?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah but once you play it you have to come to terms with it being the best buy a wide margin

If you decide you like that kind of gameplay you have to accept a very large step down in quality to play other games like it

Wildermyth is a great game and it's a turn-based RPG. Less complex than DOS2, but the magic system is cool and going berserk with a high-level warrior is fun.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
If I could play only one, Tactics Ogre or Disgaea 5?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SlyFrog posted:

I like D5 better but most people are prolly gonna get more out of and enjoy TO more

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

D5, numbers bigger.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
TO by a mile

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TO is definitely the better game. however, it is true that D5 has larger numbers.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Chaosbane costs three euro right now, with mixed reciews. Is it worth getting if I'd like to hack and slash a bit?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what is the best "get stuff to upgrade your loot/weapons/armor ad infinitum" game on the Switch that isnt Diablo and MH?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

what is the best "get stuff to upgrade your loot/weapons/armor ad infinitum" game on the Switch that isnt Diablo and MH?

have you tried warframe yet

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I'm looking for something to scratch the "open-world RPG/immersive sim with a decent story" itch. Things I have played and enjoyed:

-The Witcher games and Cyberpunk 2077
-Mass Effect 1 & 2 (3 and Andromeda looked bad)
-The Dishonored games
-The recent Deus Ex games
-Neverwinter nights 1
-Dragon Age Origins (2 looked bad, Inquisition is a possibility?)
-rear end Creed 2
-Fallout New Vegas (I've tried 4 and got bored halfway through, and I've played The Outer Worlds, which was okay)
-Alpha Protocol
-Disco Elysium

I'm currently playing Pillars of Eternity, and while it ticks a lot of boxes I'm finding the combat straight up tedious, even on easy difficulty, I just can't be bothered to deal with all the different classes and managing all their abilities, I think the large party based RPGs aren't my thing. I know I could drop the difficulty to story mode but that would seem to be missing the point. Seems like this would rule out PoE 2 and the Divinity games. (Played Arcanum back in the day)

I've tried several ARPGs but couldn't really get into them. Torchlight 1&2 made for good podcast-listening games with passive builds, but Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn didn't click.

Current possibilities:

-One of the newer rear end Creed games? Heard good things about Black Flag and Odyssey
-Dragon Age Inquisition?
-Kingdom Come Deliverance? (Got this for free on Epic so no investment needed to check it out)

I'm not attached to any particular format, genre, or setting, hopefully this gives people some idea of the vibe I'm looking for.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If you liked the main Neverwinter Nights campaign (including SoU and HotU), you may want to look at the mod scenes. There are entire campaigns available there which surpass the official stuff in both scope and quality. There are too many to go for a full list, but for some big ones, you could look at Aielund Saga and Enigma Island. Both are big multipart campaigns (Enigma is smaller, but still a bit 3-parter) which will have you explore and become familiar with a good few places which you get to revisit in later chapters which is a neat way to make the world feel familiar.

Connected to the rest of your list, the original Deus Ex should still hold up, though it's getting old graphically, and you need to go in accepting that starting skill levels are atrocious (don't expect to be a sniper from the start). I also loved AssCreed Odyssey, which kind of surprised me as I really don't rate the third-person-fight-loot-craft soup that seem to get reskinned by Ubi and Sony all the time, but Odyssey's theme was solid enough to really carry it and I ended up no-lifing it all end to end including the DLCs. I was kind of glad it ended, but I enjoyed the ride, with just a couple notable exceptions (the lovely AssCreed modern world segments and the whole baby chapter).

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

thekeeshman posted:

I'm looking for something to scratch the "open-world RPG/immersive sim with a decent story" itch. Things I have played and enjoyed:

-The Dishonored games
-Neverwinter nights 1
-rear end Creed 2
-Fallout New Vegas (I've tried 4 and got bored halfway through, and I've played The Outer Worlds, which was okay)
-Alpha Protocol
-Disco Elysium

I'm currently playing Pillars of Eternity, and while it ticks a lot of boxes I'm finding the combat straight up tedious, even on easy difficulty, I just can't be bothered to deal with all the different classes and managing all their abilities, I think the large party based RPGs aren't my thing. I know I could drop the difficulty to story mode but that would seem to be missing the point. Seems like this would rule out PoE 2 and the Divinity games. (Played Arcanum back in the day)

I've tried several ARPGs but couldn't really get into them. Torchlight 1&2 made for good podcast-listening games with passive builds, but Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn didn't click.

Current possibilities:

-One of the newer rear end Creed games? Heard good things about Black Flag and Odyssey
-Dragon Age Inquisition?
-Kingdom Come Deliverance? (Got this for free on Epic so no investment needed to check it out)

I'm not attached to any particular format, genre, or setting, hopefully this gives people some idea of the vibe I'm looking for.

You want to play Prey.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Which is better, rainbow six vegas or vegas 2 as a single player shooty experience?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Assassin's Creed Origin and Odyssey would definitely fill that niche. I preferred Origins' story and setting, but Odyssey has more sidequests and NPCs to interact with (and also to have sex scenes with if you're into videogame romance).

I've heard some negative things about Dragon Age Inquisition, you might have a better time checking out Dragon Age Origins and working your way through the series from there, although I don't think you can get the earlier games on console.

Aside from those, there's the rest of Bioware's big hit catalogue like Knights of the Old Republic or Jade Empire.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Assassin's Creed Origin and Odyssey would definitely fill that niche. I preferred Origins' story and setting, but Odyssey has more sidequests and NPCs to interact with (and also to have sex scenes with if you're into videogame romance).

I've heard some negative things about Dragon Age Inquisition, you might have a better time checking out Dragon Age Origins and working your way through the series from there, although I don't think you can get the earlier games on console.

Aside from those, there's the rest of Bioware's big hit catalogue like Knights of the Old Republic or Jade Empire.

Having Kassandra as the PC is enough of a reason to recommend Odyssey over Origins, IMO. She's fantastic.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'll also put in a good word for the rest of the Ezio trilogy, Brotherhood and Revelations. The latter is a bit weaker, tho.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

thekeeshman posted:

-The Dishonored games
-Neverwinter nights 1
-rear end Creed 2
-Alpha Protocol
-Disco Elysium

Current possibilities:

-Dragon Age Inquisition?

I think your tastes are pretty close to mine. Things I've enjoyed in this vein:

KCD is good, if a bit euro-janky. Very moddable as well. Of note there are a very few timed quests in the game where once started should be finished within a generous time limit--you can look these up if that's stressful.

I found Dragon Age Inquisition somewhat generic and MMO-feeling, but it has a lot of content. If you're the type of person that can handle not clearing an area before moving on, you may enjoy it more.

If you enjoyed AC2 and haven't played AC: Black Flag, then definitely play it. I think Black Flag is probably the best of the classic-style ACs. Of the modern style, I've played AC: Origins and AC: Odyssey and enjoyed both. I think Origins has a better story of the two but I think I'm in the minority on this. Play Kassandra in Odyssey.

I'll echo the others that if you enjoyed Dishonored and Deus Ex, you'll enjoy Prey. You may or may not also enjoy Deathloop which is a little simplified but still a good immmersive sim.

Nier Automata is technically open world and has an excellent story, although in my opinion the open world is not its strong point. But it has very good characters and writing. Side quests are hit or miss, but the main quest is one of the best written in games. Note that it has 5 endings that are unlocked sequentially to tell the entire story. Ending A is unlocked first, then ending B is unlocked by replaying the entire first half of the game with the second character. Midway through ending B you're going to feel a little burnt out because there's only a little new content interspersed with the story you've already replayed. You're going to wonder whether it's worth playing through 3 more times after just to unlock endings. Push through this because endings C and D are entirely new stories that are not repeats, and E is a short epilogue. You don't need any of the DLC.

MGS V if you haven't played it already.

Maybe try:
The Age of Decadence, more traditional RPG with a unique setting and story paths that are very dependent on what class you choose, no class can do everything in the game in one playthrough.

Sleeping Dogs? More GTA-like but good story and mechanics.

Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies / A House of Many Doors? All open world, mixture of CYOA, map exploration, survival, and RPG. The first two are from Failbetter Games who make Fallen London and set in that universe. The last is from one of their writers and was a one man-project unrelated to the others but made in the same style.

Yakuza series? Start at Yakuza 0 if you haven't played, then Yakuza Kiwami/Kiwami 2, then remakes. Yakuza Like a Dragon is a new character and can be played in any order, but has non-essential references to the previous games.

Elden Ring? It is open world with a story that requires seeking out lore to piece together. I'm not a huge glutton for difficulty although I've played Dark Souls 1, 2, and Sekiro as well, and found Elden Ring the most enjoyable and accessible of the Soulsborne titles.

The Forgotten City? Not a big open world but one village with a lot of characters and interactable parts immersive sim style. Not super long but doesn't overstay its welcome. Clever twist to the story although you may find the ending hokey.

Pathologic (classic vs 2)? Hear me out on this one. It's open world / immersive sim in terms of full exploration of a Russian steppe village with a focus on working with the people of the town, gathering resources to survive a plague, and ultimately discovering its cause and deciding what to do about it. In classic, you play as either a medical doctor, the town's butcher/surgeon, or a healing mystic, with the storylines of the three characters intersecting over the course of the story. I haven't actually played Pathologic 2, which is a more modern remake of the game that is focused specifically on the butcher/surgeon's story, which at least based off my experience with classic is probably the most narratively compelling of the three. These games are harsh and are meant to make you feel stressed and pushed to your limit by design, but they have a very compelling resonance between the game mechanics and story themes.

Haven? Open world exploration RPG about an established couple fleeing to a new planet and building a life for themselves. A good story but one that will resonate best if you're currently in a happy relationship or at least can recall one.

Watch Dogs 2? Open world in the Ubisoft style but with an okay story about fighting the man and lovable characters.

I'd love to see if there are any new suggestions in this vein myself, but I think I've mined it pretty deep. If you give me more examples of games in this category you liked, I might be able to come up with some more niche suggestions.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Having Kassandra as the PC is enough of a reason to recommend Odyssey over Origins, IMO. She's fantastic.

they both have great protagonists imo.

Origins feels a bit more "focused" as an AC game in terms of the story and worldbuilding. whereas Odyssey is something i've kept installed for years and years and never finished and i prefer to just jump in and conquer a fort or do a couple sidequests or whatever.

and i will also second Prey. one of the best immersive sim action rpg's ive ever played honestly. it's not "open world" in the sense of exploring a big open landscape, the whole thing takes place in one space station that you sort of open up different parts of it as you go along, but it works really well, the story/characters are great, lots of fun mechanics and action too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cantorsdust posted:

Sleeping Dogs? More GTA-like but good story and mechanics.

100% sleeping dogs. The combat is really fun melee often against multiple enemies with occasional guns. the story is a hard boiled undercover cop that's decent enough for what it is. the city feels great to explore. it'll probably be my game of the year 2023

looking assassin's creed odyssey I see there's a sale on steam so I go to the page and am presented with Standard, Deluxe, Gold, and Ultimate editions.

Steam very helpfully doesn't say what's included in each

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 5, 2023

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, great call on Sleeping Dogs. Fantastic game. :worship:

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks for all the recommendations, will check em out.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ilmucche posted:

looking assassin's creed odyssey I see there's a sale on steam so I go to the page and am presented with Standard, Deluxe, Gold, and Ultimate editions.

Steam very helpfully doesn't say what's included in each

If you scroll down the store page they have full explanations of what each edition includes.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

You never need the DLC for an assassin's creed game.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Looks like you need uplay even if you buy the rear end Creed games on steam, is that a big pain?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
YMMV but these days it's a minor annoyance at worst.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

If you scroll down the store page they have full explanations of what each edition includes.

I went looking on the steam page and couldn't find them :(

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

thekeeshman posted:

-The Dishonored games
-Neverwinter nights 1
-rear end Creed 2
-Alpha Protocol
-Disco Elysium

Current possibilities:

-Dragon Age Inquisition?

I dont know if it lines up really but Red Dead Redemption 2 is still one of the best story driven open world games i think. Not really an rpg of course but still suggestin

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

RDR2 is deeply immersive, so yeah, highly recommended.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Saul Kain posted:

You want to play Prey.

Goddamned right, Prey is such a good game for loving around with alien powers and finding ways into places you think you shouldn't be but 100% are supposed to.

Especially Mooncrash, mooncrash is the chef's kiss perfection of the whole deal. I love em so much I might just go play them again to see what stupid shenanigans I can do way earlier than I'm supposed to

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ilmucche posted:

I went looking on the steam page and couldn't find them :(

Dunno if something's getting blocked or if you're using Enhanced Steam and that gets rid of it for some reason or what. :shrug: Unless it's some dumb mobile thing? I can see it both in-client and in-browser.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am a pretty big fan of the AC series, i have played through all of the main games and enjoyed most of them, but i have never seen the appeal of any of the dlc. most of the games, especially the last three, are huge open worlds that take quite a long time to get through as it is, and most discussion of the dlc by people who've actually played it seems to average out that its Not Good. quite often they introduce some big element of fantasy or monsters etc that seem very out of place in the more history-focused main games.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

thekeeshman posted:

I loving loved Kingdom Come. It has a wonderful combat system, probably the most satisfying first-person melee combat I've engaged with. The world setting is based in history and they do a great job of it all. I loved exploring in this game. It was the first game to scratch that Morrowind itch for me since Skyrim, in any case.

Kind of dumb but I think if you're going to play Fallout: New Vegas you ought to play Fallout 1 and 2 first, since the three kind of make up a trilogy. Well, it's what I would do, anyway but I'm anal as gently caress about that.

Elex was fun too

credburn fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 6, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

Dunno if something's getting blocked or if you're using Enhanced Steam and that gets rid of it for some reason or what. :shrug: Unless it's some dumb mobile thing? I can see it both in-client and in-browser.

Huh, yeah I think it went from the dlc list to the comment section or system requirements for me. Maybe it is getting blocked, or maybe I'm blind? I'm curious now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've got that itch again. The itch for Lovecraftian horror.

I've been playing Consuming Shadows, Shrouded Isle, Darkest Dungeon, Last Door, Dusk, World of Horror. Sunless Seas, Cultist Simulator. The popular stuff, basically.

What are the best Lovecraftian horror games out there for PC? (So no Bloodborne.) I'm looking specifically for the suspicious town, paranoia, something is Wrong vibe, but I'll take anything. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've got that itch again. The itch for Lovecraftian horror.

I've been playing Consuming Shadows, Shrouded Isle, Darkest Dungeon, Last Door, Dusk, World of Horror. Sunless Seas, Cultist Simulator. The popular stuff, basically.

What are the best Lovecraftian horror games out there for PC? (So no Bloodborne.) I'm looking specifically for the suspicious town, paranoia, something is Wrong vibe, but I'll take anything. Thank you!

That Cthulhu dating sim, Sucker for Love: First Date. It's legitimately good Lovecraft masquerading as pure parody.