Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

We don't need more political dynasties by any name.

I was gonna make a joke about Chelsea here but the last Clinton that had any political aspirations ate poo poo to a reality tv game show host lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Lib and let die posted:

I was gonna make a joke about Chelsea here but the last Clinton that had any political aspirations ate poo poo to a reality tv game show host lmfao

She won the popular vote by 3 million votes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

pencilhands posted:

She won the popular vote by 3 million votes.

Field goals don't win football games.

Scoring 10 perfect field goals doesn't turn a 35-30 game on its head just because 10 scoring plays is more than 5 scoring plays

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 5, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tom Brady

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Counterpoint: Donald Tump

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dull Fork posted:

Really funny how posters assumed I meant we should publicly plan violence. I said 'won't even talk about the force required to save lives'. Talk. As in, debate & discuss what actions one believes would save lives.

If one doesn't think any illegal actions would save trans lives, let them say so, and defend their point.

What kind of actions, and what kind of force, are you suggesting? Without a clear or specific argument from you to kick things off, I'm not really sure there's anything to respond to.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

What kind of actions, and what kind of force, are you suggesting? Without a clear or specific argument from you to kick things off, I'm not really sure there's anything to respond to.

I despise the way trans genocide is discussed as if there is no acceptable, legal way to fight against it and that is it. Every single achievement towards a more just and equal society is won via more than just what the state decides is legal.

But, you engaged so I'll try to answer. Heres a smattering of illegal things that I believe could save lives, in increasing levels of severity:
-Doctors treating trans people despite laws against it, and hiding the evidence of doing so, to prevent prosecution. You could expand this to anyone who could give access to gender-affirming care/meds.
-Teachers not snitching on trans kids to their parents. (Theres a Va bill attempting to get passed that would require this, and I believe more bills in other states as well)
-If that upcoming kidnapping trans children bill passes, people choosing to rescue them and/or prevent them from being kidnapped. This could involve force. Also hiding them and their parents/guardians from law enforcement.
-Harass and intimidate lawmakers who are actively supporting this genocide. Protest outside their homes, do not give them a moments peace, make them feel unsafe for literally supporting genocide. Get them out of power, or scare them into not passing genocidal bills.
-Firebombing buildings where genocidal groups are based, so as to not give them a space to operate out of.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then of course there are far more destructive, violent things as well.
For example, after the leak, but before Roe v. Wade was struck down, a man almost attempted to assassinate a supreme court justice. That is extremely violent. He would have had to get another one to change the vote, but the point stands. Changing the make up of the supreme court so that it strikes down genocidal bills absolutely can save lives.

And specifically, to the last point. I ask, how many people should be under threat of genocide, how many people must die, before such actions should be considered, or condoned? Where is the line?

Dull Fork fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 5, 2023

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Scoring 10 perfect field goals doesn't turn a 35-30 game on its head just because 10 scoring plays is more than 5 scoring plays

Ok but this doesn't actually invalidate what that person was actually saying, that Hillary was popular enough to win the majority vote by 3 million.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dull Fork posted:

I despise the way trans genocide is discussed as if there is no acceptable, legal way to fight against it and that is it. Every single achievement towards a more just and equal society is won via more than just what the state decides is legal.

But, you engaged so I'll try to answer. Heres a smattering of illegal things that I believe could save lives, in increasing levels of severity.

-Doctors treating trans people despite laws against it, and hiding the evidence of doing so, to prevent prosecution. You could expand this to anyone who could give access to gender-affirming care/meds.
-Teachers not snitching on trans kids to their parents. (Theres a Va bill attempting to get passed that would require this, and I believe more bills in other states as well)
-If that upcoming kidnapping trans children bill passes, people choosing to rescue them and/or prevent them from being kidnapped. This could involve force. Also hiding them and their parents/guardians from law enforcement.
-Harass and intimidate lawmakers who are actively supporting this genocide. Protest outside their homes, do not give them a moments peace, make them feel unsafe for literally supporting genocide. Get them out of power, or scare them into not passing genocidal bills.
-Firebombing buildings where genocidal groups are based, so as to not give them a space to operate out of.

And then of course there are far more destructive, violent things as well.
For example, after the leak, but before Roe v. Wade was struck down, a man almost attempted to assassinate a supreme court justice. That is extremely violent. He would have had to get another one to change the vote, but the point stands. Changing the make up of the supreme court so that it strikes down genocidal bills absolutely can save lives.

And specifically, to the last point. I ask, how many people should be under threat of genocide, how many people must die, before such actions should be considered, or condoned? Where is the line?

We don't talk about climate news as much here but another good, unfortunate example would be the climate scientist who self immolated in DC.

I don't think anyone should do that but we should raise awareness that not enough is being done.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm fairly sure part of the problem was that the Hillary campaign and the Democrats as an organisation were pretty incapable of even recognising that Hillary could or did have problems with the black vote and the youth vote.

It will never not make me laugh that she went on a black radio station and claimed to always have hot sauce in her purse.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It will never not make me laugh that she went on a black radio station and claimed to always have hot sauce in her purse.

That was verified, she does always have hot sauce in her purse and loves hot sauce.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2015/12/hillary-clinton-jalapeno-and-hot-sauce-fiend.html

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yawgmoft posted:

Ok but this doesn't actually invalidate what that person was actually saying, that Hillary was popular enough to win the majority vote by 3 million.

Fritz the Horse posted:

we're not relitigating 2016, thanks

2016 is over. We have a piece of poo poo dem in office now, so in the end libs got what they wanted: an ineffective government that rubbers stamps every disgusting ruling the Supreme Court shits out.

Youremother posted:

The best thing you can do w/r/t giving money is always giving directly. Giving $100 to a single person can do a lot more tangible good than donating $1000 to a large org sometimes. If you don't know anybody in your life who is in immediate need, look for local orgs, then statewide.

1000%

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Harold Fjord posted:

We don't talk about climate news as much here but another good, unfortunate example would be the climate scientist who self immolated in DC.

I don't think anyone should do that but we should raise awareness that not enough is being done.

Yeah, drat. I had heard very briefly of that, but I didn't think the event got much attention in the greater national awareness, did it? Seems like its easy to recall Thích Quảng Đức's self-immolation, and its impact on culture (Hello RATM fans). But these days acts like that unfortunately seem almost ignored.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Thank you for agreeing with me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lib and let die posted:

Fair enough, but also safe to assume that if the Democrats had only won the popular vote twice in the last few decades but held the White House for half that time, Republicans and their media outlets would be screaming 24/7 about the electoral college being unconstitutional and and an affront to America

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Dull Fork posted:

Yeah, drat. I had heard very briefly of that, but I didn't think the event got much attention in the greater national awareness, did it? Seems like its easy to recall Thích Quảng Đức's self-immolation, and its impact on culture (Hello RATM fans). But these days acts like that unfortunately seem almost ignored.
Yeah that immolation got barely any news. Immolation could help achieve climate goals, but not the self- kind.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Except your analogy would be more apt if the 35 point team lost because they got most of their points in one quarter and the 30 team got more points in the other 3 quarters. Points are supposed to win games and votes are supposed to win elections, but the US doesn't democratically elect the President. Calling out Clinton for eating poo poo in an election she dominated, but lost only because the way the votes were arbitrarily divided, is dumb.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It's been brought to my attention that most of the sixered posts for 2016 primary chat were actually about the 2016 general election. Sorry for being imprecise, it's still a dumb derail. Have a lovely Sunday!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Ask yourself why the white male alleged sex pest didn't do poo poo when the supreme court went full mask off about Roe v Wade. Effectively because Biden, the dems, and those that reward them, support the supreme court's decision (or, at the very least, find the supreme court useful).

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

2016 is over. We have a piece of poo poo dem in office now, so in the end libs got what they wanted: an ineffective government that rubbers stamps every disgusting ruling the Supreme Court shits out.

1000%

Viewing not overthrowing the institution of the Supreme Court as support for their decision to overturn Roe vs. Wade is simplistic to the point of uselessness. It is possible to both strongly disagree with a Supreme Court decision, and still believe that the institution of the Supreme Court should continue to exist.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 6, 2023

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Viewing not overthrowing the institution of the Supreme Court as support for their decision to overturn Roe vs. Wade is simplistic to the point of uselessness. It is possible to both strongly disagree with a Supreme Court decision, and still believe that the institution of the Supreme Court should continue to exist.

Its possible but extremely wrong. I don't care how unfair this statement is: Telling those suffering the real and deadly consequences of the supreme court's decisions that they should focus on fundamentals of the institution is incredibly stupid at best, and straight up evil at worst.

It's power is SOLELY derived by folks willfully misinterpreting the constitution for the past 200+ years and those suffering from terminal decorum brain. See the poster below for a clear example.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 6, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Its possible but an extremely wrong. I don't care how unfair this statement is: Telling those suffering the real and deadly consequences of the supreme court's decisions that they should focus on fundamentals of the institution is incredibly stupid at best, and straight up evil at worst.

It's power is SOLELY derived by folks willfully misinterpreting the constitution for the past 200+ years and those suffering from terminal decorum brain.

Well, and also from the constitution itself, but it's easy to forget that.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, and also from the constitution itself, but it's easy to forget that.

In what article is judicial review detailed in the constitution?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

celadon posted:

In what article is judicial review detailed in the constitution?
The Constitution doesn't detail a lot of things, but Judicial Review is generally an extrapolation of Article VI. Also, not to get all originalist, but Judicial Review wasn't something the US Supreme Court just made up. it was a preexisting idea and one the framers were aware of and it comes up in Federalist Papers.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I was worried that the whole groomer narrative would’ve been a narrative the right would’ve ran for a decade to condition the public into accepting genocide but it’s wild that in a year they just went straight into “kill all trans arghsbdbabfban” and now they’re already trying to go after normal gays. It’s like their hatred is reaching an unstable singularity point.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Shooting Blanks posted:

We don't need more political dynasties by any name.

Eh we could do with another Roosevelt.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Constitution doesn't detail a lot of things, but Judicial Review is generally an extrapolation of Article VI. Also, not to get all originalist, but Judicial Review wasn't something the US Supreme Court just made up. it was a preexisting idea and one the framers were aware of and it comes up in Federalist Papers.

I get that the concept wasn't pulled out of the ether, its just a funny thing to be all 'why dont you check your pocket constitution on that one' for.

Also, just because it was an idea at the time and mentioned in the Federalist Papers doesn't mean it would have been something the framers of the constitution universally agreed on, right? Like there were a number of famous disagreements that had to be worked through in the drafting of the document. If anything, it being a known factor in the pre-constitution intellectual milieu, yet missing in the constitution itself, may indicate that the idea actually wasn't supported by the framers as a general principle.

In any case there should be more than enough rhetorical space here to attack the court with. Given that the alternative is to wait for decades of unbroken democratic domination of the entire federal government to slowly chip away at the conservative majority or altering the composition of the court via REDACTED, going after judicial review seems pretty reasonable to me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Youth Decay posted:

Where are all the John Adams' when you need one??

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

celadon posted:

I get that the concept wasn't pulled out of the ether, its just a funny thing to be all 'why dont you check your pocket constitution on that one' for.

Also, just because it was an idea at the time and mentioned in the Federalist Papers doesn't mean it would have been something the framers of the constitution universally agreed on, right? Like there were a number of famous disagreements that had to be worked through in the drafting of the document. If anything, it being a known factor in the pre-constitution intellectual milieu, yet missing in the constitution itself, may indicate that the idea actually wasn't supported by the framers as a general principle.
I don't think there is really any evidence of the framers ever arguing against judicial review. My understanding was that it wasn't really controversial. There is tons of understood to be implied stuff in the Constitution that it's easy to raise an eyebrow and go, "How is this implied?" But like... it's hard to read the Constitution and imagine how it would even work without Judicial Review. It's not in there by name and not explained clearly because our Constitution's a bit of a mess. But it's still rooted in the Constitution. And the main propaganda piece during ratification being like, "Yeah, it has Judicial Review" is a big weight in its favor.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Youth Decay posted:

By that, do you mean:

(a) Teddy "I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians, but I believe nine out of ten are, and I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth. The most vicious cowboy has more moral principle than the average Indian" Roosevelt?

(b) Or Franklin "On February 19, 1942, FDR issued Executive Order 9066, which led to the forced relocation of approximately 120,000 Japanese Americans living on the West Coast. More than two-thirds of these people were native born American citizens. They were confined in inland internment camps operated by the military. FDR’s Executive Order 9066 led to the imprisonment of 120,000 Japanese Americans. Abruptly forced to abandon or sell their homes and businesses, many lost everything they owned" Roosevelt?

(c) Or a nice combination of both of them?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Nenonen posted:

Where are all the John Adams' when you need one??
Being lovely Republicans unfortunately
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Donley_Adams

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Judicial review not being in the Constitution is a fun thing for trolling strict constructionists on Facebook or whatever, but only to highlight how strict constructionism is bullshit. It's not really a reasonable understanding of a text written by people who intended it to be a functioning government and were well aware that it would require someone to decide whether a given law actually violated it.

And even for needling "limited government" dudes, these days you're better off pointing out that the Constitution gives the federal government no authority to restrict immigration.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Killer robot posted:

And even for needling "limited government" dudes, these days you're better off pointing out that the Constitution gives the federal government no authority to restrict immigration.

i've been saying for a bit that if we really must have a supreme court where Thomas is semi-regularly in the majority, we at least need him to slam down a dissent (...or 5+ vote majority opinion?!) that immigration control is not a federal power in the constitution and therefore the citizenship of immigrants is up to the states with full faith and credit protection

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Youremother posted:

The best thing you can do w/r/t giving money is always giving directly. Giving $100 to a single person can do a lot more tangible good than donating $1000 to a large org sometimes. If you don't know anybody in your life who is in immediate need, look for local orgs, then statewide.

Marthad ibn Abdullah posted:

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “The shade of the believer on the Day of Resurrection is his charity.”

Abu Darda posted:

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Seek out the vulnerable for me, for you are only given provision and divine support due to your care for the vulnerable.”

Ibn Abbas posted:

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, used to order charity only for the people of Islam, until this verse was revealed, “It is not upon you to guide them, for Allah guides whom He wills. Whatever you spend of good is for yourselves, not spending it but to seek the countenance of Allah. Whatever you spend of good, you will be fully repaid and will not be wronged,” (2:272). Then, the Prophet ordered charity for anyone who asked from every religion.

Of course, charity is not sufficient and the government must be righted to take care of systematic issues that cause widespread poverty. However, charity does help real people, is morally obligatory, and covers forgiveness for minor sins. If you are friends with LGBT people, you will inevitably know a lot of them in financial distress. Many people feel like it's not "real" charity if it is for people in your social network, but it is! Knowing the people doesn't eliminate the benefits of charity.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

But like, just some guy named Roosevelt, not like anyone actually related to The Roosevelts. That'd be sweet.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

You would think the odds would be in our favor to have had a "President Smith" in our history. Two Johnsons but no Smiths?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

celadon posted:

In any case there should be more than enough rhetorical space here to attack the court with. Given that the alternative is to wait for decades of unbroken democratic domination of the entire federal government to slowly chip away at the conservative majority or altering the composition of the court via REDACTED, going after judicial review seems pretty reasonable to me.

If ending judicial review was an option that was seriously on the table, the GOP probably would have pushed for it fifty years ago when a liberal court majority was dishing out tons of decisions the GOP didn't like. Instead, they spent half a century slowly building up the political momentum needed to take the court back. They wouldn't have bothered with that if it were easier to just end judicial review altogether.

Besides, ending judicial review means you need unbroken Democratic domination of the entire federal government forever, because if you deprive the judicial branch of its power, then the only things that can rein in the executive branch and the legislative branch are each other...which will just aggravate the deep dysfunction in our government even further. The Court isn't even the real problem right now, it's the severe weakness and incompetence of Congress that's the real root of all these problems. If the legislative branch could get its poo poo together for a bit, the Court would be much less of a problem.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

You would think the odds would be in our favor to have had a "President Smith" in our history. Two Johnsons but no Smiths?

Americans always picking some dick over anyone that's going to build something useful and lasting.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

According to name census dot com, who must be reliable, right, currently there's "roughly" (whatever that means) 828 Smiths per 100 000 Americans, or a .828% chance of a random person being a Smith. Obviously this is not constant over time, so this is probably an under-estimate, but rolling that die 46 times would be (1 - .828)^46, right? Which is still a smidge over 68 percent, so it's perfectly reasonable that there hasn't been a president Smith.

Of course the draw isn't random, since there's several dynasties and so on, but all the same.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Of course, charity is not sufficient and the government must be righted to take care of systematic issues that cause widespread poverty. However, charity does help real people, is morally obligatory, and covers forgiveness for minor sins. If you are friends with LGBT people, you will inevitably know a lot of them in financial distress. Many people feel like it's not "real" charity if it is for people in your social network, but it is! Knowing the people doesn't eliminate the benefits of charity.

With all due respect to the prophet, pbuh, there's no such thing as sin. Helping people requires no metaphysical motivations and to believe that it does diminishes the human to human connection that is real.

Help friends and strangers because it makes you feel good, or like your life has meaning, or to piss off a republican. But drop this idea that religion has anything to do with getting us out of this mess, because it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Twitter is bleeding money and was on track for bankruptcy about 8 months after Elon Musk purchased the company.

The banks who let Elon pay for his loans by allowing them to sell the debt to a third-party later are still unable to find any buyers and the $44 billion purchase price was so large that Twitter alone is responsible for freezing the entire business investment divisions of several banks for the next year.

Additionally, Elon's claims that content creators would get a share of their revenue if they subscribed to Twitter Blue turned out to be false.

Some of the loans Elon took out carry interest rates up to 15% and 70% of Twitter's top advertisers have stopped doing business with the company - which is leading to larger and larger risks/staff cuts in an attempt to raise profits. This includes just not paying their other bills.

https://twitter.com/thekenyeung/status/1631836372469424130
https://twitter.com/erinkwoo/status/1631809918843092992
https://twitter.com/bungdan/status/1632089940942282752

quote:

Twitter Inc. reported a drop in revenue and adjusted earnings for the month of December, after many advertisers ditched the social-media platform following Elon Musk’s takeover, according to people familiar with the matter.

In an update to investors, Twitter reported a decline of about 40% year-over-year in both revenue and adjusted earnings for the month, the people said.

Chief Executive Mr. Musk, who completed his acquisition of Twitter last October, is working to stabilize the company’s finances, which also have been challenged by high-cost debt. Twitter is responsible for repaying some $13 billion of debt that helped pay for Mr. Musk’s purchase of the company, with annual interest payments estimated at more than $1 billion.

The company recently made a first interest payment to a group of banks that lent the $13 billion, the people said.

One way that Mr. Musk intends to boost Twitter’s revenue is through the sales of paid subscriptions to users, which allows them to edit tweets and access subscriber-only features on the platform. Mr. Musk’s new subscription plan relaunched on Dec. 12 after a fumbled initial November rollout.

As a public company in December 2021, Twitter didn’t publicly release monthly financials. For the fourth quarter that ended Dec. 31, 2021, Twitter reported $1.57 billion in revenue, with net income of $182 million.

Twitter didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company recently said some advertisers are returning to the platform, the Journal previously reported. Last year also saw a slowdown in online marketing that affected many digital-ad platforms, as people spent less time online than in the early days of the pandemic and advertisers concerned about a possible economic downturn curbed spending.

Mr. Musk has said that he expects Twitter to break even in 2023. “Twitter still has challenges, but is now trending to breakeven if we keep at it,” he said in a tweet in February.

Banks including Morgan Stanley, Barclays PLC and Bank of America Corp. that lent Mr. Musk the $13 billion he used to help buy Twitter haven’t been able to sell that debt to third-party investors, a common practice when banks help finance major buyouts. The run-up in the so-called hung debt parked on bank balance sheets has tied up some of their firepower to back other large M&A deals, one factor in the current drought for deals.

Mr. Musk’s team had explored raising additional capital, which could be used to help pay down some of the most expensive debt it borrowed in connection with his purchase of the company, The Wall Street Journal previously reported. Some of Twitter’s debt carries an annual interest rate of almost 15%.

Shortly after Mr. Musk took over Twitter, many advertisers paused spending on the platform—a source of concern as advertising represented almost 90% of Twitter’s revenue in 2021. As it has sought to buttress its most critical revenue stream, the company has made several overtures to advertisers to woo them back on the platform.

However, more than 70 of Twitter’s top 100 advertisers from before Mr. Musk’s takeover weren’t spending on the platform as of the week ended Feb. 25, according to an analysis from research firm Pathmatics, which is part of Sensor Tower.

Mr. Musk is also taking steps to rein in costs. He said in December that Twitter’s staff was down to roughly 2,000 from close to 8,000 before he acquired the company and that he was “cutting costs like crazy.” The company conducted more layoffs last weekend, but declined to disclose the number of cuts.

Twitter posted a net loss in eight out of the 10 years from 2012 to 2021 and hasn’t booked an annual profit since 2019.