Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Dragon's Dogma is a pretty cool game, how come this passed me by when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Dead Space remake is like full modern AAA game whereas Prime Remastered, as fantastic as it is, is only like “good for the Switch”

imo this is a new low from you

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Resident Evil 4 in two weeks or something... 👀

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

imo this is a new low from you

Truly no idea why that post has provoked such wild responses lmao. I fuckin love Metroid Prime but it was a valid answer to the question

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Truly no idea why that post has provoked such wild responses lmao. I fuckin love Metroid Prime but it was a valid answer to the question

Ask chatgpt what you did wrong but don't report back

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Escape Goat posted:

Two 2000s era games redone with new models, textures and shaders. What am I missing, then?

Dead Space isn’t a graphical remake, the entire game is different. Plus the effort into making graphics for 4K machines compared to the Switch. I’m not saying one is better or more valid than the other but Dead Space definitely took more effort.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Also multiplatform

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dead Space isn’t a graphical remake, the entire game is different. Plus the effort into making graphics for 4K machines compared to the Switch. I’m not saying one is better or more valid than the other but Dead Space definitely took more effort.

Didn't realize that. I only played the first 30 mins of the original and thought it was basically 1:1 with new assets.

I used the weasel word comparable but fair enough, that does distinguish it clearly from MP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Someone can contradict me if it's bullshit but I believe Prime Remastered is running the exact same poo poo like map geometry, movement/physics code, enemy AI, etc.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Metroid Prime Remaster is running the same code from the original game while Dead Space Remake was rebuilt with new code.

Prime Remaster still looks incredible tho and not just “for a switch game”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dead Space remake fixes the mechanical problems while overhauling the games layout and structure but keeping it faithful, so I bought it.

Metroid Prime refurbish is really pretty, thats it, so I wont buy it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Dead Space’s pricing is still better than Square Enix charging $60 for one disc of FF7

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Please perma ban all chatgpt posts. Thank you mods.

Sorry, mods have been replaced by Chat-GPT. This explains the excellent decisions lately

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Let’s be honest. Metroid Prime remaster is great but does not look good by modern standards. Just enjoy it for what it is - an excellent game that looks good for the Switch.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Pirate Captain posted:

Let’s be honest. Metroid Prime remaster is great but does not look good by modern standards. Just enjoy it for what it is - an excellent game that looks good for the Switch.

hey man this is a decent thread, whats with this making GBS threads it up?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lots of trolls happening. Sad to see, but I suggest brutally flaming them.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Xbox.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Soul Glo posted:

hey man this is a decent thread, whats with this making GBS threads it up?

You’re right, my b

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Wo long is cool

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Started playing Atomic Heart this weekend after finishing Hi Fi Rush. The setting is awesome and the gameplay has some neat ideas, but I’m really not clear who thought it was a good idea to insert Duke Nukem as the player character into a Bioshock game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Pirate Captain posted:

it looks better than a lot of Xbox/PlayStation games tbqh

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Illusive Man posted:

Started playing Atomic Heart this weekend after finishing Hi Fi Rush. The setting is awesome and the gameplay has some neat ideas, but I’m really not clear who thought it was a good idea to insert Duke Nukem as the player character into a Bioshock game.

honestly actual duke nukem in rapture would be a compelling improvement

“would you kindly—“

“hey, suck my balllllllz”

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The Illusive Man posted:

It’s a tremendously bad idea lol. Bring back the silent protagonist.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Who gives a gently caress about graphics in 2023? The push for ever greater fidelity has pretty much completely trashed AAA development with exponentially increasing bloat so that you can have ultra realistic pores or whatever the dumb gently caress. There should be at most likely three games a year like that, we need to go back to getting trilogies and poo poo that don't have to span multiple console generations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Graphics should have stopped advancing with the original Xbox

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
drat it was so worth it for rdr2 to be in development for 7 years or whatever, we got realistic horse anatomy with balls that shrivel in the cold. This is NEXT GEN

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you aren't carefully rendering borderline-invisible hairs on a video game protagonist's face, you ain't poo poo

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Seltzer posted:

Wo long is cool

Yeah pretty good boss fights so far, the moral and spirit mechanics are cool, movement feels pretty good. I like it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I bought a Series S because Verizon had that really good 50% off deal but I think I figured out why Verizon had such a good deal: I'm pretty sure these are refurbished units (or at least mine is).

I bought it to do emulation stuff so the first thing I did last night was put it into Dev Mode and install Dolphin. Today I went looking for other emulators that would work and installed Flycast. I was able to get GC and DC games working on both just fine by putting games on a USB, but when I went to try to play some NAOMI games with Flycast, all of the guides were telling me that I'd need to put the BIOS in the right folder, so I installed Durango FTP to make that easy. When I went to move the files I found that nothing was where it was supposed to be, and a bunch of folders were just flat-out not showing up for me, including everything in the LOCAL FOLDER. Even more mysteriously, in the APPS folder there were a bunch of empty folders with names of emulators, most of which I hadn't installed. There was one for Flycast but also Retroarch, PCSX2, Duckstation and PPSSPP, none of which I even had downloaded. I assumed that maybe one of the emulators I did install added something like that, so I put it out of my head and went looking for answers to my file location problem. I went to a Discord for help and saw something that made me think that I had fallen prey to a specific bug that happens when you install something in the wrong place and that I'd have to either uninstall everything or factory reset it. I hadn't spent that much time on anything so I just factory reset it completely, but when I got back into dev mode and re-installed Durango by the very letter of this Discord's guide, I got the same result. And more suspiciously, those mysterious emulator folders were still there. I assume Series S consoles don't come factory standard with empty Playstation emulator folders, so I think that for whatever reason these folders are in a place that lets them dodge a factory reset, and that this unit has been used before. It was possibly even returned for the same thing that I'm experiencing now. I sent an email to Verizon asking if it's a refurb, I don't really expect an answer but I guess

The annoying thing is that it was just functional enough that I could probably just reinstall everything and continue as normal but A: I don't like the idea that I won't ever have access to that stuff if I just ignore it and B: I'm worried that if I decide to switch to installing things in retail mode that I'd lose saves and progress, since I think save states are one of the things that get tucked away in those files I can't get at.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Professor Beetus posted:

drat it was so worth it for rdr2 to be in development for 7 years or whatever, we got realistic horse anatomy with balls that shrivel in the cold. This is NEXT GEN

:yossame:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Going from Marvel Guardians o/t Galaxy (great game) to Marvel Avengers sure is some whiplash. The UI is absolutely awful, there's dozens of things it wants me to do, and it barely indicates where the next campaign mission is.

In other news, there's new free Final Fantasy dlc out for Powerwash Simulator, but since I've never played any of those games, none of the levels or names mean anything to me and everything is ugly and annoying to clean. :smith:

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Going from Marvel Guardians o/t Galaxy (great game) to Marvel Avengers sure is some whiplash. The UI is absolutely awful, there's dozens of things it wants me to do, and it barely indicates where the next campaign mission is.

In other news, there's new free Final Fantasy dlc out for Powerwash Simulator, but since I've never played any of those games, none of the levels or names mean anything to me and everything is ugly and annoying to clean. :smith:

Yeah, the scorpion thing and the cushionbot had loads of nooks and crannies, and didn't really look particularly different after being hosed down. The bar was nice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still had fun with the DLC overall - I’ve played the game, so the texts amused me - but yeah the Airbuster was probably the most annoying thing in PowerWash to date. Still hope we get more DLC in the future, it’s so relaxing for the most part

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Stays.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Excited about the Paradox/Xbox showcase tonight! Love me some Paradox games, hoping that there'll be more coming to console.

Biggest rumor now is that Cities Skylines 2 will be announced, but I have doubts about that. Also, I have just bought all of the DLC for CS1 last month.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

DC Murderverse posted:

I bought a Series S because Verizon had that really good 50% off deal but I think I figured out why Verizon had such a good deal: I'm pretty sure these are refurbished units (or at least mine is).

I bought it to do emulation stuff so the first thing I did last night was put it into Dev Mode and install Dolphin. Today I went looking for other emulators that would work and installed Flycast. I was able to get GC and DC games working on both just fine by putting games on a USB, but when I went to try to play some NAOMI games with Flycast, all of the guides were telling me that I'd need to put the BIOS in the right folder, so I installed Durango FTP to make that easy. When I went to move the files I found that nothing was where it was supposed to be, and a bunch of folders were just flat-out not showing up for me, including everything in the LOCAL FOLDER. Even more mysteriously, in the APPS folder there were a bunch of empty folders with names of emulators, most of which I hadn't installed. There was one for Flycast but also Retroarch, PCSX2, Duckstation and PPSSPP, none of which I even had downloaded. I assumed that maybe one of the emulators I did install added something like that, so I put it out of my head and went looking for answers to my file location problem. I went to a Discord for help and saw something that made me think that I had fallen prey to a specific bug that happens when you install something in the wrong place and that I'd have to either uninstall everything or factory reset it. I hadn't spent that much time on anything so I just factory reset it completely, but when I got back into dev mode and re-installed Durango by the very letter of this Discord's guide, I got the same result. And more suspiciously, those mysterious emulator folders were still there. I assume Series S consoles don't come factory standard with empty Playstation emulator folders, so I think that for whatever reason these folders are in a place that lets them dodge a factory reset, and that this unit has been used before. It was possibly even returned for the same thing that I'm experiencing now. I sent an email to Verizon asking if it's a refurb, I don't really expect an answer but I guess

The annoying thing is that it was just functional enough that I could probably just reinstall everything and continue as normal but A: I don't like the idea that I won't ever have access to that stuff if I just ignore it and B: I'm worried that if I decide to switch to installing things in retail mode that I'd lose saves and progress, since I think save states are one of the things that get tucked away in those files I can't get at.

That sucks. I know that uninstalling emulators without deleting the ROM's first effectively makes them 'stuck' on the system, and factory resetting is meant to fix it. But I haven't heard of this issue before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Speaking of emulators, I really need to look into DOSBox Pure at some point. This is rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqGjLE9eqb8

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 6, 2023