Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Rahm shot a 76 WHAT?! wow

He got destroyed by the wind today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah +4 in the last 5 holes, one of which was double bogey into the water

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

xsf421 posted:

:toot:

Finally replacing my F9 I bought off the shelf years ago with something fit to me. Fitter quote: “I don’t get many requests for extra slicey drivers”

Nice! How did you like the 12 degree compared to 10.5? I'll hopefully get fit for a driver once I get my slice under better control but until I do I'm not sure what loft would be best at my low swing speed

I did get fitted for g425 irons which I'm very stoked about arriving in the next week or so

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Scheffler is on fire!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

Scheffler is on fire!

and Rahm blew it, that was wild

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Those last three approaches were :discourse:

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Things are really going on today at Bay Hill.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Frickin choke city all around drat

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Arnie is looking down and smiling at his course just destroying everyone lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This is just going to be a win by subtraction

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

What a legend

https://twitter.com/nolayingup/status/1632509202189959168?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahahaha that rules

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
This is what a 135mph swing speed does to a brand new Stealth 2 driver, apparently.

A piece of the bottom just exploded off of it after his 2nd drive today.

Lucky for him he hits his 3 hybrid 290, so he was able to keep playing the rest of the round without much issue.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Don’t make em like they used to.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I checked out a stealth 2 at the shop and man I hated the way it looked at address. Not sure why. The paradym was a little nicer but the one i really liked was the g430.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wasn’t watching. Is this so he can hit the last putt for the title?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

It's more so his playing partner can finish out first. If he putts that and the crowd goes wild Victor still needed to finish out the hole. So it's a little bit of both respect for his playing partner and so he can have the final shot on the hole.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Viktor Hovland's Stealth 3-wood failed on him last weekend.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/03/05/2023-arnold-palmer-invitational-viktor-hovland-3-wood/

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I don't know if it's the insanely tight tolerances everyone has to build these clubs to get improvements out of nowadays, or a general decline in overall QC with TaylorMade specifically, but every TM driver and 3W I've owned over the last 6 or 7 years has failed in some way and I keep hearing about it happening more and more with other guys I play with.

Both my M1 driver and 3W had cracked faces after about 1.5 years. The SIM driver that replaced the M1 had something inside the head break loose after just under 2 years (SIM 3W seems to be hanging in there still though) and I just witnessed that Stealth 2 driver explode yesterday, which led to a conversation among our group and a bunch of other guys at lunch after the tournament about how many of our woods have cracked or broken in strange ways over the last few years.

The good news is at least in my experience TM is extremely lenient when it comes to warranty replacements of all of their clubs, even after they're out of the standard replacement period. That's nice, but it also kind of makes me wonder if they know their clubs are built like poo poo and don't want the bad press of refusing to replace these things for free when they break in ways they shouldn't. Also probably at least part of why new woods are like 3x what they used to cost a few years ago.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

This is very funny to me because:

quote:

Hovland is a Ping ambassador but carries the TaylorMade 3-wood under a Ping head cover.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I also love the “Buy Victor Hovland’s 3 wood” link at the bottom of the article. No, I don’t think I will.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Multimaterial was a mistake

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
First nine of the year. Figured I'd take it easy, hit my 7 wood off the tee mostly, just go for fairways and ease my way around. Warm-up bucket convinced me to hit a couple of drivers to see how it was going.

Driver on 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16. Hit 6 of 6 fairways (to be fair, the drive on 15 was down the left side with a bit too much draw, but hit a tree and came back to the fairway. 3W on 18, fairway. Greens in regulation? #14, #17.

So, 7/7 fairways, 2 of 9 greens. The grass around the greens was allowed to grow, so no fringe to speak of, but fairway-ish. However, spongy soft. Did I learn that after approaches on 10 and 11 landed just feet short of the green and one hopped and stopped? I did not.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

torgeaux posted:

Did I learn that after <golf decisions>? I did not.

Love that golf is back.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I'm nutting my irons so well lately my distances need to be recalculated because I am straight up airmailing greens. Old swing, my gap wedge (Callaway Apex @ 48 degrees)was a pretty reliable 100 yard club, now I'm hitting it more like 110-115 but my SW(56 degree callaway jaws) only goes about 75. I guess it's best to try and play around that for now, but there's going to be situations where I need an accurate 100 yard shot and I currently don't have that.

My old gap was 50 degrees and maybe that's what I need to add back. I have a free spot in my bag because I carry 1 driver 1 fairway wood 1 hybrid, 5-AW irons, SW LW Putter. At a 15HCI, I don't think I should be going at greens beyond about 180 yards( and that's a stretch) so I'm really not taking approaches with anything more than a 5i outside of big Par 3's hence the absence of a 5 wood. My Hybrid goes about 210 and my 3 wood goes about 230. If I'm in the deep poo poo, I'm no longer trying to get it home from out of that, so no real need for any lower irons for now, since I learned to take my medicine with a 7 iron and get it back in play to save a par or bogey.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm nutting my irons so well lately my distances need to be recalculated because I am straight up airmailing greens. Old swing, my gap wedge (Callaway Apex @ 48 degrees)was a pretty reliable 100 yard club, now I'm hitting it more like 110-115 but my SW(56 degree callaway jaws) only goes about 75. I guess it's best to try and play around that for now, but there's going to be situations where I need an accurate 100 yard shot and I currently don't have that.

My old gap was 50 degrees and maybe that's what I need to add back. I have a free spot in my bag because I carry 1 driver 1 fairway wood 1 hybrid, 5-AW irons, SW LW Putter. At a 15HCI, I don't think I should be going at greens beyond about 180 yards( and that's a stretch) so I'm really not taking approaches with anything more than a 5i outside of big Par 3's hence the absence of a 5 wood. My Hybrid goes about 210 and my 3 wood goes about 230. If I'm in the deep poo poo, I'm no longer trying to get it home from out of that, so no real need for any lower irons for now, since I learned to take my medicine with a 7 iron and get it back in play to save a par or bogey.
What the heck is your pitching wedge loft? Mine is 47 degrees but my clubs are older.

Chromatics posted:

Nice! How did you like the 12 degree compared to 10.5? I'll hopefully get fit for a driver once I get my slice under better control but until I do I'm not sure what loft would be best at my low swing speed

I did get fitted for g425 irons which I'm very stoked about arriving in the next week or so
Not the OP, but when I picked up the sticks again, I could not get my 9.5 degree driver in the air so I bought a new 12.5 degree. Now my swing speed is up 20 mph or so and the 12.5 flies like a six iron. 9.5 is probably a degree low though still. Time for driver number 3. Or I need to pick up more swing speed.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I have massive swing speed, but absolutely no spin on my driver. I’ve been playing a cobra f9 with an x flex hzrdus black, but I found out in my fitting that I was averaging around 1400 rpm spin. No wonder the ball has been dropping out of the sky at 250 yards. Playing the higher loft had me carrying more like 280, which is shocking to me. Apparently fittings are important.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fooled around at the range yesterday, first time in a couple years I've picked up the clubs.

First shot was pure of heart and straight as an arrow, and I did not hit a single ball afterwards that even rose to the level of mediocre. Now how the gently caress can that be?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mdemone posted:

Fooled around at the range yesterday, first time in a couple years I've picked up the clubs.

First shot was pure of heart and straight as an arrow, and I did not hit a single ball afterwards that even rose to the level of mediocre. Now how the gently caress can that be?

Golf

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

xsf421 posted:

Yeah, I have massive swing speed, but absolutely no spin on my driver. I’ve been playing a cobra f9 with an x flex hzrdus black, but I found out in my fitting that I was averaging around 1400 rpm spin. No wonder the ball has been dropping out of the sky at 250 yards. Playing the higher loft had me carrying more like 280, which is shocking to me. Apparently fittings are important.
That was what I got! 12.5 degree f9 with (s flex) hzrdus black. My 9.5 degree launches at like 10 degrees with 1400 spin or so. The 12.5 degree launches at like 17 degrees with over 4000 spin. Somewhere in the missing middle is the right driver for me.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
12.5 with a stiff shaft seems like an unusual combo. Most drivers are adjustable +- 1.5 or 2 degrees, getting a 10.5 degree head would give you a pretty wide range to test

or just get fitted

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

gvibes posted:

What the heck is your pitching wedge loft? Mine is 47 degrees but my clubs are older.

They're pretty damned strong on these. Callaway Apex cavities.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Off the top of my head:
1. you need some cavity backed 53° and 58° wedges like a Glide/CBX
2. ditch the 5 iron for another hybrid

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

wyoak posted:

or just get fitted

It's this. You can crank the loft up and down, but that changes face angle and potentially lie angle, which can mess your swing up. I had turned my 10.5* F9 up to 11.5*, but that closed the face and made my mishits hook even more than normal.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My tsi3 is 9 degrees and it feels like the harder you swing the better the shot is, which sounds great...unless your swing is off for whatever reason at which point it turns to absolute dogshit.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I played in a 4 man "major" with a few buddies this past Sunday at one of those "PGA Tour replica holes" courses. I have to spot them shots (as few as 8 and as many as 14 for the highest hdcp guy). Though I don't average even par, especially during the school year where I don't get to play often, I still play off 0 for these tournaments.

After the round, we calculated a best and worst ball score for the group.

Best ball was an 81, worst ball was a 120. I shot an 85 and won by 6 net strokes. Nobody played great, but I played the least worst and won.

I'm hoping my lovely Masters win gives Rory the energy to win the real one next month.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Off the top of my head:
1. you need some cavity backed 53° and 58° wedges like a Glide/CBX
2. ditch the 5 iron for another hybrid

I like my 5-iron :colbert:

I had my old Cleveland 50 degree laying around and took it to the short game practice area. 100 yards on the nose. I don't like 25 yard gap that creates between itself and the 56, so I think I may be best served dropping my 58 in favor of a 53 and let the 56 be my LW.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 8, 2023

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Well, looks like this is going to be a thing.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-ex-girlfriend-lawsuit-2023

And I just got given tickets to the Monday practice round at Augusta. Exciting regardless of whether or not Tiger is playing, but it would be cool if he'd just stop doing dumb poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/PGATOURLIVE/status/1633834401611259904