Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I Am Just a Box posted:

Some of these are fair, but there's no way you could just watch the attract mode perform the crystal flash and intuit how it's done. There isn't a popup on the screen to tell you to hold L+R+Y+↓ after the power bomb.

When the game came out this was probably a way to sell issues of Nintendo Power :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Conversation's getting a little circular, may I just add tho: why would I ever watch an attract mode of any game? I've already bought it, there's no need for attraction.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DoctorWhat posted:

Zero Mission cuts off a lot of opportunities for optimization and routing by so strictly dividing the collection into halves.

That's fair, but I also don't think that your earlier feelings of "it's too designed" are really compatible with "they should design the whole game so there's a really good speedrun route."

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It absolutely sucks rear end in Zero Mission that you get power bombs pretty much right in front of the end boss’s door and the only way to get 100% if running back through the entire game to collect items that didn’t become available until that moment.

I also feel this way, but I personally think this is less a problem with the placement of the Power Bombs and more of an indictment of the concept of Power Bombs in the first place - I don't think I'd mind going back and getting new more items if the final upgrade that let me do so was something a little more fun than "press the button and the special block goes away."

If the final upgrade were something more active and less tedious, I don't think the backtracking would ring out as quite so boring. For me, at least.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bleck posted:

That's fair, but I also don't think that your earlier feelings of "it's too designed" are really compatible with "they should design the whole game so there's a really good speedrun route."

I also feel this way, but I personally think this is less a problem with the placement of the Power Bombs and more of an indictment of the concept of Power Bombs in the first place - I don't think I'd mind going back and getting new more items if the final upgrade that let me do so was something a little more fun than "press the button and the special block goes away."

If the final upgrade were something more active and less tedious, I don't think the backtracking would ring out as quite so boring. For me, at least.
Power Bombs are just not a good final upgrade. They come actually super early in Super, every time I replay it I'm surprised a little - before Grapple! - and because the next step is actually a kind of random room quite a ways off, you have a lot of time to play around with them immediately and of course for the whole rest of the game. Prime puts them directly before grapple as well, as well as requiring them for x-ray, and there's a lot of backtracking and optional uses in between those spots. Prime 2 has them relatively late, and oh! they're less interesting. Them being at the very end in ZM - a necessity due to the remake nature, of course - makes them very, very awkward.

Screw Attack, notably, is a much better final upgrade because it makes backtracking through enemy-filled rooms where fighting is just a chore suddenly a breeze and it's just fun to go through them like a buzzsaw, and it's honestly also brilliant in Fusion that it opens up the map all of a sudden, giving it tons of uses apart from the combat thing and an awkwardly screw attack block gated upgrade here or there!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I like how Prime 1 makes missile expansions valuable even lategame with the beam combos and power bombs by making them the easiest way to deal with fission metroids. Prime 2 does the missiles a bit worse by having all the combos cost 5 and the focus is far more on beam ammo, power bombs are still good for Emperor Ing phase 2. Then Prime 3 removed the combos and replaced power bombs with the rarely-even-usable ship missiles and made it so the only expansions worth caring about were E-tanks by making them both health and ammunition.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Procrastine posted:

Prime 2 does the missiles a bit worse by having all the combos cost 5

Yeah, but they also made the combos actually good, this time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bleck posted:

I didn't say they should design a game for a good speedrun route. Super Metroid is an excellent speedgame the same way Breath of the Wild is: because it has an open air world with few strict barriers, high player expression, and exploitable glitches and quirks.

Zero Mission is more like Pizza Tower or honestly even a platforming version of Devil May Cry: a tightly designed obstacle course with an extremely capable player character. In this way, Zero Mission and Fusion are more alike than we realized; it's just that the linear, authored route in Zero Mission is what you "unlock" with knowledge, instead of being the base game.

And to be extremely clear, Zero Mission's speedrun passages are fun as hell if you aren't going for 100% cleanup.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Bleck posted:

Yeah, but they also made the combos actually good, this time.

Wavebuster is good for going "gently caress this room" at the cost of a bunch of missiles, Ice Spreader suffers from very little having enough hp to justify using it but it's good against Prime, Flamethrower is the only actually bad one.

Prime 2 I might use Sonic Boom against Emperor Ing 3 but Darkburst is only good for being cool visually and Sunburst doesn't even have that going for it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Velius posted:

I absolutely love sequence breaking and super Metroid is awesome for it. Shine spark, hell runs and wall jumping let you do all sorts of crazy stuff. The biggest unrecoverable situation, I believe, is if you get to the Maridia boss without gravity suit, you can’t get out without weird glitches or preplanned glitching. But I think even that save room can be escaped without anything glitchy back to the rest of the game.

It’s funny, dread has something very similar if you get to the gravity suit via the speed running corridor without diffusion beam, you’re similarly unable to escape.

The "easiest" way is to skip the charge beam and save past the point of no return in Tourian without enough ammo tanks to kill Mother Brain.

(I say "easiest", because it requires no special skills, but it does require you to ignore the most obvious breakable block in the entire game.)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Procrastine posted:

Wavebuster is good for going "gently caress this room" at the cost of a bunch of missiles, Ice Spreader suffers from very little having enough hp to justify using it but it's good against Prime, Flamethrower is the only actually bad one.

Everything that Wavebuster feels good against will die more quickly to Super Missiles, and at less cost. The only exception is the Wave Pirates, and in basically all of the instances where there are Wave Pirates, the fastest solution is to just plain walk past them to the next room.

Also if the Darkburst is so bad, why does Raven Beak use it? :smug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Raven beak believed first and foremost in being as extra as possible

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I Am Just a Box posted:

Some of these are fair, but there's no way you could just watch the attract mode perform the crystal flash and intuit how it's done. There isn't a popup on the screen to tell you to hold L+R+Y+↓ after the power bomb.

I think a lot of early Nintendo games have the idea that players who had been playing the game forever would try literally anything and everything over time to wring all the secrets out of a game. Like the original Zelda kinda expects you to bomb every tile in the overworld to find all its secrets.

Of course, there was also Nintendo Power and the hint hotlines.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think a lot of early Nintendo games have the idea that players who had been playing the game forever would try literally anything and everything over time to wring all the secrets out of a game. Like the original Zelda kinda expects you to bomb every tile in the overworld to find all its secrets.

Of course, there was also Nintendo Power and the hint hotlines.

Tower of Druaga cast a long shadow over the Japanese video game industry.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You also ignore how one person won't find everything but a bunch of people will probably find every location and sharing this info was probably expected.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Credit where it's due...Other M was the first Metroid game where Samus started doing crazy stuff like headlocking a monster and stuffing her arm cannon into its mouth. And in general, much more physical combat stuff.
I wonder how much credit Team Ninja should get for that...though now that I think about it, I bet Smash Bros planted that seed

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Give Samus her Smash aerials you cowards

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Credit where it's due...Other M was the first Metroid game where Samus started doing crazy stuff like headlocking a monster and stuffing her arm cannon into its mouth. And in general, much more physical combat stuff.
I wonder how much credit Team Ninja should get for that...though now that I think about it, I bet Smash Bros planted that seed

Well, it IS Team Ninja so I don't think there was any scenario where they didn't make Samus an agile badass, Smash or no Smash. I just wish we could have played the Team Ninja Metroid game that wasn't handcuffed to the wiimote for a controller.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

In other news, this fight used to give me sooo much trouble, but now? Well

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1632120307577409537?t=DWW32QMfeQIj6UcIM1wqaw&s=19

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

In other news, this fight used to give me sooo much trouble, but now? Well

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1632120307577409537?t=DWW32QMfeQIj6UcIM1wqaw&s=19

nice to see someone else using pointer controls

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

nice to see someone else using pointer controls
They are so good

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I've been attempting Dread on Dread difficulty. It's funny watching badass space warrior Samus explode because her hyper advanced power armor touched a little fire. I'm not sure I'll make it though, kraid took the better part of the afternoon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Einander posted:

I think of the more on-rails nature of Fusion as just one more way the story is emphasizing that Samus is weakened and recovering. It's all over the game, from the Fusion Suit missing a lot of the Power Suit's armored appearance, or the different way she holds her arm cannon, or the SA-X continually forcing you to run and hide. Fusion makes you feel limited and constrained, and then it gradually gives you that power back, be it Samus getting back parts of her suit or going further and further off the beaten path or no longer being quite so helpless against the SA-X up until the end when she can finally defeat it.
I could accept this if Sakamoto didn't keep doing it after Fusion. Other M and Dread work the same way, though in the latter's case, in such a way that it could be largely shrugged off after your initial playthrough.

Einander posted:

Like, gameplay-wise I can understand not liking it as much, but until Dread Fusion had the best narrative work of the series by a lot, and would even if you cut out all the talking sequences.
I would argue that the talking sequences are a large part of what made the conceit bad.

Amppelix posted:

They... they did though? The entirety of metroid fusion's plot and atmosphere works beautifully precisely because you're always constrained on where to go to, hunted by the SA-X and at odds with your CO. Coming away with the take of "they didn't do anything with it, the devs were just too lazy to design a world where they didn't have to tell you where to go" is completely insane to me
Please don't call me insane, but I do see your point. See above, though. If it was the lone example of this, I'd likely just chalk it up to "that's what that game's story demanded and that's not for me and that's okay," but that ain't what happened. It became the default after that. Which, again, isn't Fusion's fault, really, so again, point taken.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I agree with you. Zero Mission is cool until the final bit where you have to run back through the entire world to pick up a bunch of power ups gated behind the screw attack and power bombs just for the sake of collection. It feels very forced and inorganic and is my least favorite thing about the game.
I think the greater sin would be "well, you have all the major upgrades now, but no reason to go back and re-explore the environment." Particularly when you don't need to do that to beat the game without breaking much of a sweat. But to your point, it's not like it's better for having done it the way that it did.

Poopy Palpy posted:

You don't have to get that nuts if you're a dummy who saved at the bottom of the wall jump shaft and can't figure out how to get out.
Or if you were like young, dipshit me who made it through the lava in Norfair without the varia suit, then saved afterwards and had no way to get enough life to get back out.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Balls. I forgot about that requirement. Yeah, that's inexcusable. So basically, it was "hey, kids! There's a way to do a thing! Buy our magazine and we'll tell you the steps!" Though the Nintendo Powerline wasn't a 900 number, so if you either had a long-distance calling plan (remember those?) or lived in Seattle like I did, you got to call the helpline for free.

If I recall correctly, the main menu for Super Metroid even had "are you trying to perform the Crystal Flash technique" as like, option 9.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Like the original Zelda kinda expects you to bomb every tile in the overworld to find all its secrets.
Zelda 1 was a multiplayer game from the jump. Miyamoto's said so a few times over the years. You weren't meant to bomb everything or burn every bush on every screen. You were meant to find one thing, then tell your friends about it at recess the next day, and they'd do the same, and between the lot of you, you could find everything. That's how it worked for me 'n my buddies and it was so wonderful an experience that I arbitrarily decided, when playing Breath of the Wild, to recreate that feeling. Me 'n a few friends didn't look up guides for anything but the most annoying shrine puzzles and we shared information. I got to tell one of them about the lone cherry blossom tree and he told me to go back on a night when the mountain glows. It was the tits. Metroids 1, 2, and Super worked much the same way.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Zero Mission's sequence "breaks" are all so authored. I know there's been some recent clipping developments, but ZM's Unknown Items and heavily scripted epilogue and stealth sequences, and the way Power Bombs are gated off and shape the 100% route, end up feeling very artificial and patronizing.
Is it obvious to folks that haven't played OG Metroid that the unknown items are things that weren't present in the original game?

I don't really mind the post-escape victory lap because it makes the main portion of the game relatively faithful to the OG with regard to your arsenal while also giving you an excuse to revisit that part of the game with the full load out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt8cGNScB_s&t=932s

And sometimes you start a new Metroid with just a *little* too much knowledge.

And also a *little* too little knowledge.

Super was a loving wild experience for me.

As a person I favour narratives and linearity and playing Metroidvanias is basically sending me right out of my wheelhouse so I favoured Fusion when I compared it and Super.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 5, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That final grapple swing using the flying creature in lower phazon mines still sucks absolutely rear end, no matter how much better at videogames I am now

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It does, but it’s easier if you swing over to the missile station first. It still sucks but you can get a more direct angle at least

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Procrastine posted:

Prime 2 I might use Sonic Boom against Emperor Ing 3 but Darkburst is only good for being cool visually and Sunburst doesn't even have that going for it.

I don’t know if I’d call the flamethrower bad, it’s just the default Plasma beam in Prime is already such an rear end kicker it’s hard to top it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I don’t know if I’d call the flamethrower bad, it’s just the default Plasma beam in Prime is already such an rear end kicker it’s hard to top it.

Nah, the flamethrower is poo poo.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The only time I use the flamethrower is during the first phase of Metroid Prime's fight (all the beam combos make those sections go by super quick) but god I wish I knew of some better application of it outside that one fight.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of Prime, I just got the Boost Ball and honest to god have no idea where to go. :saddowns:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Prime, I just got the Boost Ball and honest to god have no idea where to go. :saddowns:

Anywhere that looks like it came from a tony hawk game.

if I actually I remember, and I haven't played in a decade, it's chozo ruins

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ikanreed posted:

Anywhere that looks like it came from a tony hawk game.

if I actually I remember, and I haven't played in a decade, it's chozo ruins

Nope!

it’s the half pipe in the Tallon Overworld, that leads to the Space Jump!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1632490048326369280?t=arBWmCA_iEBmgkg5IJQ0yA&s=19

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Nope!

it’s the half pipe in the Tallon Overworld, that leads to the Space Jump!

I just got that, and used the Boost Ball to extend the drawbridge to get a Chozo artifact!

Now I’m on my way back to Phendrana, I think I can use the space jump to hop between the pillars in the shoreline!

I’m figuring stuff out, I just need a little nudge every once in a while. :kiddo:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

I just got that, and used the Boost Ball to extend the drawbridge to get a Chozo artifact!

Now I’m on my way back to Phendrana, I think I can use the space jump to hop between the pillars in the shoreline!

I’m figuring stuff out, I just need a little nudge every once in a while. :kiddo:

You are on the right path.

Now I want to play through it again lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Getting my rear end kicked by the Sheegoth and its minions, haven’t found a good way to fight the little ones yet and they chip away at my health and then I’ve got a problem when the big one shows up. I also found myself running out of missiles, and then I guess I’m screwed?

Edit— I just took it down. I didn’t realize morph ball bombs could damage it, and I forgot you can boost-dodge left and right.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 6, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Getting my rear end kicked by the Sheegoth and its minions, haven’t found a good way to fight the little ones yet and they chip away at my health and then I’ve got a problem when the big one shows up. I also found myself running out of missiles, and then I guess I’m screwed?

Double dash to get behind them, and use charged shots. Frontal attacks are suicide, but if you crack the shell, they die fast.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Once you get it down, they become pretty fun to fight. Particularly after you get the plasma beam.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xenomrph posted:

Edit— I just took it down. I didn’t realize morph ball bombs could damage it, and I forgot you can boost-dodge left and right.

I think it’s scan says something about its belly being vulnerable to bombs. It can be a tough boss for that point in the game, for sure.

When you come back later it’s a regular enemy, but you can torch it with the Plasma Beam :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I think it’s scan says something about its belly being vulnerable to bombs. It can be a tough boss for that point in the game, for sure.

When you come back later it’s a regular enemy, but you can torch it with the Plasma Beam :getin:
I used to have big issues with it when I first (and second...) played because I did read the "use bombs" thing but that's a good way to get frozen into a ball, get stomped on, etc...

It took me until this playthrough to read the "vulnerable when it's doing the ice breath" line and just put missiles into its mouth until it died rather quickly. whoops

Anyway I noticed some stuff in the gallery...

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1632489100463976448?s=20

this is really cool:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1632489424633364480?s=20