Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
If I'm not pinning two pieces of resin that I'm gluing together, I tend to score both surfaces with my hobby knife where they'll contact in order to allow the glue to have a better hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm not so addicted to huffing resin dust I'm not willing to delve into plastic, so here's a plastic predator I painted recently since we're on a new page, and new pages deserve models:

Not really up to the standards of some other painters ITT :v:, but I had a good time painting it and I'm pleased with the results.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Looks awesome, real clean highlighting, reminds me of how 'eavy metal paints.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Excellent work!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Thanks lads, you’re very kind

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Endman posted:

I'm not so addicted to huffing resin dust I'm not willing to delve into plastic, so here's a plastic predator I painted recently since we're on a new page, and new pages deserve models:

Not really up to the standards of some other painters ITT :v:, but I had a good time painting it and I'm pleased with the results.

I find sponsons the most frustrating things to paint so I greatly respect anyone who spends the time to make them look good! solid little tank!

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

BirdieBedtime posted:

Where are the power spears, gw!?

I heartily recommend grey knights bits from Ebay

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For those of you playing regularly, how has your local meta evolved?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I went back and touched up my first 30k squad to match the rest of the army as well as finished my missile launcher squad. To celebrate reaching about 1000 points I put together a montage of all the minis included.
I call it "The struggle to paint a consistent Night Lords blue"...

Endman
May 18, 2010

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I went back and touched up my first 30k squad to match the rest of the army as well as finished my missile launcher squad. To celebrate reaching about 1000 points I put together a montage of all the minis included.

These are all fantastic, great work!

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

My local store is generally abiding by some soft comp limits (generally max 3 dreds at 3k, or 2 + a primarch), but I've generally been seeing people skew very infantry heavy, with generally maybe only a Spartan for the terminator deathstars, which are very in style still. Everyone who plays regularly started with 2.0, so the unit diversity isn't great, but I think once some more people get Scorpiuses (Scorpiui?) built, it might tilt back. One of the better players runs Iron Warriors, which makes it so if you are bringing vehicles, you want to bring a lot to threat overload, otherwise they all go boom turn 1.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

I like the little skulls, bones, and skin on the tactical marines and tartaros. Also that flesh hook hanging from the belt of one of the rocket launcher marines, nice touch. Small touches, less is more, that give the legion feel. Your painting looks very consistent to my eyes, but the creator always notices the flaw. (Except the Emperor?)

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

BULBASAUR posted:

I signed up for an escalation league and they are doing 1 dread for 1000 points + 1. Those are the only house rules besides "save primarchs for the end."

Quasi related: I chose deathguard, and pumped to get a first game in. They have been an absolute blast to paint and muck up. This project is making it hard to not get a 3d printer.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Honestly they look pretty consistent to me with the only real difference being the light source in a different spot between some of the squads. That sort of desaturated blue is really difficult to pull off and I think what you've done looks outstanding.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
5 days into March and finally got my Feb stuff done :/

And one with the whole gang together

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Had another game tonight! We rolled Onslaught which was a pretty silly mission. My Kakophoni were absolutely my MVPs with some amazing rolling, and his Sons of Horus are just brutal dicks.

I love the way EC plays so far, where everything works when it works. But try to use any tools wrong and they snap.

Anyway, we ran into a few questions:

1. Are shroud bombs 'always on?' They're listed in the grenades section of the rules but I feel like I need to do something other than just have them equipped. Which makes them about even with the Sisters of Silence special and that seems like you'd need to do something like throw it.

2. Can a particular unit react more than once in a phase if you have the reactions for it? Like if you get an extra reaction in the shooting phase, can a unit Evade twice against two different attacks, or Return Fire against two different units?

and last, mostly because I'm old any my brain is a mush of 30+ years previous editions:

3. When a unit is down to the last man, is it just a regular squad with one guy? The Last Man Standing rule is about other stuff and my friend thought he'd need to roll insane courage to rally and I remember ... something about this situation.

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

moths posted:

Had another game tonight! We rolled Onslaught which was a pretty silly mission. My Kakophoni were absolutely my MVPs with some amazing rolling, and his Sons of Horus are just brutal dicks.

I love the way EC plays so far, where everything works when it works. But try to use any tools wrong and they snap.

Anyway, we ran into a few questions:

1. Are shroud bombs 'always on?' They're listed in the grenades section of the rules but I feel like I need to do something other than just have them equipped. Which makes them about even with the Sisters of Silence special and that seems like you'd need to do something like throw it.

2. Can a particular unit react more than once in a phase if you have the reactions for it? Like if you get an extra reaction in the shooting phase, can a unit Evade twice against two different attacks, or Return Fire against two different units?

and last, mostly because I'm old any my brain is a mush of 30+ years previous editions:

3. When a unit is down to the last man, is it just a regular squad with one guy? The Last Man Standing rule is about other stuff and my friend thought he'd need to roll insane courage to rally and I remember ... something about this situation.

1. Yep, they are always on.

2. No, you can use the same reaction twice on two separate units in the phase if you have the reactions, but each unit can only react once per phase.

3. Yeah, he's just a dude at that point. Double 1's always pass morale, but there isn't any specific buff for being down to 1 guy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Awesome, thanks. That's pretty much how we played it, except for 2.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Another tank today

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/09/heresy-thursday-the-plastic-legion-vindicator-is-the-ultimate-everything-killer/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

“More plastic infantry coming! It’s not just tanks!”

(spongebob_one_week_later.jpg)

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

“More plastic infantry coming! It’s not just tanks!”

(spongebob_one_week_later.jpg)

It feels like they designed all the tanks in plastic first and then realized last minute how much people want infantry.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lucinice posted:

It feels like they designed all the tanks in plastic first and then realized last minute how much people want infantry.

To me it feels like they're planning on announcing the next infantry kit with the next big Horus Heresy box, like we're going to get something that comes with thirty or forty Mark II Assault Marines (Or maybe twenty of those and twenty new recon armor scouts or whatever), two vehicles (or two squads of Saturnine Terminators, which were conspicuously namedropped in the tech dev timeline of the new Heresy corebook despite having no official visual yet), and some new HQs. But big boxes have specific launch windows and have to compete for those windows with 40k and AoS releases, and GW doesn't want to deflate potential hype for a big FOMO box by teasing any of its new contents before the box itself is announced. Vehicles not destined for box releases don't exist under those constraints, so they get Heresy Thursday announcements.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Stephenls posted:

To me it feels like they're planning on announcing the next infantry kit with the next big Horus Heresy box, like we're going to get something that comes with thirty or forty Mark II Assault Marines (Or maybe twenty of those and twenty new recon armor scouts or whatever), two vehicles (or two squads of Saturnine Terminators, which were conspicuously namedropped in the tech dev timeline of the new Heresy corebook despite having no official visual yet), and some new HQs. But big boxes have specific launch windows and have to compete for those windows with 40k and AoS releases, and GW doesn't want to deflate potential hype for a big FOMO box by teasing any of its new contents before the box itself is announced. Vehicles not destined for box releases don't exist under those constraints, so they get Heresy Thursday announcements.

This is my read too. Plastic assault marines are too obvious and important an exclusion; there’s no reason for GW to be completely silent on them for this long unless they’re planned as an event release. GW’s love for releasing anticipated models in box sets also suggests that’s the plan here.

I’d expect plastic assault marines, plastic javelin/proteus, and a new character or two.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is my read too. Plastic assault marines are too obvious and important an exclusion; there’s no reason for GW to be completely silent on them for this long unless they’re planned as an event release. GW’s love for releasing anticipated models in box sets also suggests that’s the plan here.

I’d expect plastic assault marines, plastic javelin/proteus, and a new character or two.

I still suspect what we're actually gonna get is plastic Mark II Despoilers in running/leaping poses and then a separate box of plastic jump packs you can use to make them into assault marines, but yeah that sounds about right. (And then a resin kit with arms and bolters so you can have your super expensive squad of Mark II tacticals if you want.) Maybe the big box will have enough jetpacks to make half of the despoilers into assault marines.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Stephenls posted:

I can see them doing Breachers in a Zone Mortalis type box.

I think there's a preview event at Adepticon this month so hopefully we'll see something interesting there.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Stephenls posted:

then a separate box of plastic jump packs you can use to make them into assault marines

That box is 100% going to be resin.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Broken Record Talk posted:

That box is 100% going to be resin.

No, it'll be plastic like the weapon upgrades, but it'll be the type of jump pack used by the plastic assault troops.

Then we'll get a separate resin jump pack kit for Mark VI jump packs.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
did they really ever only make one solar auxilia leman russ model?

Endman
May 18, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

did they really ever only make one solar auxilia leman russ model?

Solar Aux can use most of the 40k variants iirc

As for the models they show in art/miniature photos in the books, they’re the Mars Alpha pattern that FW originally made for Death Korps of Krieg.

They just went ‘last chance to buy’ and now they’re all gone :rip:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
p...plastic incoming? :smith:

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013
Goonhammer released a 6 mission pack for HH today. They look a lot tighter and more fun then the core book missions, which are not great. https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-approved-horus-heresy-mission-pack-2023/

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Speaking of auxilia I’ve been staring at the new Raven guard upgrades and the auxilia I have on my shelf wondering if the liberation force rite of war is semi decent enough to be worth doing a themed force for. How exactly would you go about using it?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

the_seventh_cohort posted:

Goonhammer released a 6 mission pack for HH today. They look a lot tighter and more fun then the core book missions, which are not great. https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-approved-horus-heresy-mission-pack-2023/

Ew, no thanks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I finally got around to reading the Alpha Legion rules, and you can take loyalist Alpha Legion with Moebus Configuration to ally with traitor Alpha Legion, which is the most Alpha Legion thing I can think of.

Endman
May 18, 2010

moths posted:

I finally got around to reading the Alpha Legion rules, and you can take loyalist Alpha Legion with Moebus Configuration to ally with traitor Alpha Legion, which is the most Alpha Legion thing I can think of.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Heresy Thursday came early this week. We got rules for summon able daemons

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/14/the-bound-daemons-of-the-ruinstorm-herald-a-packed-year-for-the-horus-heresy/

The article also mentions that we'll be getting the PDFs for the imperial militia, daemons of the ruinstorm, cultists, and daemon engines coming over the summer.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 14, 2023

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've been looking forward to this for a while, but wow there's been some cut content.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

I've been looking forward to this for a while, but wow there's been some cut content.

Given that:

quote:

After that, we’ll be returning to all things Daemonic with a full army list for the Daemons of the Ruinstorm, representing a full warp breach of Neverborn spilling out of the churning Sea of Souls. There’s more work to do yet – it’s a tricky faction to balance, but we hope to have it ready at some point over the summer.

I wouldn't totally count the stuff that didn't make this list as gone, at least not yet. Glad daemons finally get something to work with, at least.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I'm not model-smashing mad or anything, I was just hoping for the regular sized daemons in a Troop slot.

E: The art has bloodletters, which just feels like a tease. I'm sure they'll be along shortly, though. This is better than nothing.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I am unreasonably excited for militia and going to get started on my project again as soon as those rules drop.