Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Still entirely inferior to this baby. Whatever happens, we have got, the Maxim, and they have not.

https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1632454588782505988

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
Like those Maxims also anti Shahed Degtyaryovs
https://twitter.com/FriaUkraina/status/1631188742730907649

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Herstory Begins Now posted:

on a pretty fundamental level an entrenching tool is intended to be an entirely different tool from a full sized spade, despite both fundamentally being about moving dirt out of a hole

this post right here made me realise i need an entrenching tool, so thanks for that

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Just Another Lurker posted:

Yep, the fact that Pioneer and artillery troops on both sides had serrated bayonets, as was the fashion at the time, for clearing brush was ignored. :shrug:

edit: learn to proofread.

Hell in WW1 the british standard kit included a short hafted mace specifically for trench fighting, they didn't give a gently caress.

e]forgot quote

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

And Sonny Pouzikas wasn't 'Spetsnaz' as the Western thinks. He was on a prison Spetsnaz Team, not a military/FSB type. Spetsnaz is a catch all term for specialized forces (as I understand it- please correct me if I am wrong), not a specific group like say Navy SEALs or Special Forces, and lots of less than scrupulous dudes parlay the title into unearned expertise.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I love how Swedish looked at boring translations like "maskingevær" and decided that nope, a machine gun is clearly a Bullet Sprayer.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

bulletsponge13 posted:

And Sonny Pouzikas wasn't 'Spetsnaz' as the Western thinks. He was on a prison Spetsnaz Team, not a military/FSB type. Spetsnaz is a catch all term for specialized forces (as I understand it- please correct me if I am wrong), not a specific group like say Navy SEALs or Special Forces, and lots of less than scrupulous dudes parlay the title into unearned expertise.

Isn't he also the guy who demonstrates this completely absurd "technique" where you tuck your rifle in your arm and use your pistol so that you can ineffectually fire wildly in two directions at once?

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

Computer viking posted:

I love how Swedish looked at boring translations like "maskingevær" and decided that nope, a machine gun is clearly a Bullet Sprayer.

Didn't you Norweigians go with the French mitrailleuse back then?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

Isn't he also the guy who demonstrates this completely absurd "technique" where you tuck your rifle in your arm and use your pistol so that you can ineffectually fire wildly in two directions at once?

Yes, and I will forever love him for it.

E- in looking for the video (and failing) on YouTube, I came across this gem. The Makarov Holster from Deadliest Warrior-

https://youtu.be/fobvYJVXqBQ

You bulletsponge loved the Makarov, and spent entirely too much money to get one of those holsters imported from Russia.

It's the biggest piece of poo poo holster I've ever seen. It works, but I wouldn't trust the parts to stay together under stress, and the plastic felt brittle and oily? I don't know how to describe it. I still have it somewhere in my life, but gently caress did I learn there.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 6, 2023

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

in a well actually posted:

Request ambiguous, result:

loving Sam Hughes and the MacAdam shovel. That guy knew how to grift.

golden bubble posted:

Still entirely inferior to this baby. Whatever happens, we have got, the Maxim, and they have not.

Trying to find this in my signed copy of "The Devil's Paintbrush" but I can't. Can you give me a page reference?

In a combination tangent of these posts, at my Museum we recently received access to a photo collection for scanning purposes. One of the photo groups was of some pre-FWW soldiers of the 72nd Battalion (Seaforths) training on Vancouver Island in kilts as field dress armed with Ross Mark IIIs and a limber mounted Maxim. I've never seen these guns being used in combination like that before, and it might be the only photo documentation of them being used like that. When we get permission to share I'll post them in TFR.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Kallikaa posted:

Didn't you Norweigians go with the French mitrailleuse back then?

Kind of. We use "maskingevær" (machine [long] gun - compare German "Gewehr") for what you'd probably call a light machine gun, and "mitraljøse" for heavy, usually mounted, machine guns. The line seems to be that an MG3 on a vehicle mount or tripod is a mitraljøse but the same MG3 carried with a bipod is a maskingevær - so it's more about the role than the weapon itself.

I'm not sure when the different words came into use, though. :)

Also, I have to admit I had to check - I had not really thought about the finer details of what each word covered, and I've never been in a situation where it was relevant. (Ref mitraljøse / maskingevær )

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

Computer viking posted:

Kind of. We use "maskingevær" (machine [long] gun - compare German "Gewehr") for what you'd probably call a light machine gun, and "mitraljøse" for heavy, usually mounted, machine guns. The line seems to be that an MG3 on a vehicle mount or tripod is a mitraljøse but the same MG3 carried with a bipod is a maskingevær - so it's more about the role than the weapon itself.

I'm not sure when the different words came into use, though. :)

Also, I have to admit I had to check - I had not really thought about the finer details of what each word covered, and I've never been in a situation where it was relevant. (Ref mitraljøse / maskingevær )

I looked up kulspruta and Nordisk Familjebok 1885 says:
"Kulspruta l. mitraljös (T. kugelspritze,
kartätschgeschütz; Fr. mitrailleuse, mitrailleur)
kallas en skjutmaskin, bestĺende af en eller,
vanligtvis, flere pipor och ur hvilken en mängd
projektiler kan utslungas med stor hastighet. Namnet
kulspruta gafs första gĺngen 1848 ĺt en dylik maskin,
konstruerad af professor K. A. Steinheil i München,
vid hvilket vapen centrifugalkraften nyttjades som
drifkraft."

So German kugelspritze became kulspruta in Swedish

Seems the K.A. Steinheil is this guy:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_August_von_Steinheil

Though the wiki says he invented a "Zentrifugalwurfgeschütz" which is a nice name in itself.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yes, and I will forever love him for it.

E- in looking for the video (and failing) on YouTube, I came across this gem. The Makarov Holster from Deadliest Warrior-

https://youtu.be/fobvYJVXqBQ

You bulletsponge loved the Makarov, and spent entirely too much money to get one of those holsters imported from Russia.

It's the biggest piece of poo poo holster I've ever seen. It works, but I wouldn't trust the parts to stay together under stress, and the plastic felt brittle and oily? I don't know how to describe it. I still have it somewhere in my life, but gently caress did I learn there.

Also as said earlier he is known for shooting one of his students in a shoot house.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I should have guessed - so many fun words end up being German. :)

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

EorayMel posted:

Don't forget the IRA vs Taliban and/or Theodore Roosevelt vs Lawrence Of Arabia Deadliest Warrior episodes

Was it Lawrence of Arabia who snuck back into a boarding school in his 20s and then sent letters to the other boys pretending to be his uncle and demanding that they whip him until he jizzed?

I hope that made it into the episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wrong Theory posted:

I have only heard of one incident where an e-tool was almost used.

Some dude went full section 8 in MCT and went AWOL while out in the field in pendleton with his rifle. So we had to form up in lines and go searching up and down all the loving hills looking for the rifle, since cadre just assumed he would toss his rifle when it annoyed him. We were told to bust out the etools for cutting away at brush and stuff.

We crested a hill under a giant spreading oak tree and my buddy next to me shouts "I see the m16!", followed quickly by the sound of the rifle going off and my buddy dropping. The rear end in a top hat was working the action on his rifle 20 feet away and all I had was my shovel. I was about to brain him with it when one of the sgts got to him first and football kicked him in the face.

Luckily he was shooting blanks and just scared my friend so he dropped, and no one was seriously hurt.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1632580394833924096?t=-ZIl0sXluEfRx5i7CHtG1Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1632580397816061952?t=MBw7pWbfd4bvRqITQPUXwQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1632580401653772291?t=2aD9uJeL80IXz5PZW9pN0w&s=19

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

CainFortea posted:

Some dude went full section 8 in MCT and went AWOL while out in the field in pendleton with his rifle. So we had to form up in lines and go searching up and down all the loving hills looking for the rifle, since cadre just assumed he would toss his rifle when it annoyed him. We were told to bust out the etools for cutting away at brush and stuff.

We crested a hill under a giant spreading oak tree and my buddy next to me shouts "I see the m16!", followed quickly by the sound of the rifle going off and my buddy dropping. The rear end in a top hat was working the action on his rifle 20 feet away and all I had was my shovel. I was about to brain him with it when one of the sgts got to him first and football kicked him in the face.

Luckily he was shooting blanks and just scared my friend so he dropped, and no one was seriously hurt.

Jesus christ that’s a hell of a story

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Sgt "featherweight" Jackson's kick didn't result in a serious injury?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

golden bubble posted:

Operation Flashpoint had a Finnish Defence Force mod where the first missions had you as a UN peacekeeper in modern gear and later ones where you are a mobilised reservist tasked to crew a Maxim. I think those were in the books up to the early 90's or so.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

Operation Flashpoint had a Finnish Defence Force mod where the first missions had you as a UN peacekeeper in modern gear and later ones where you are a mobilised reservist tasked to crew a Maxim. I think those were in the books up to the early 90's or so.

Fdf coop mission where you have to ambush a convoy of btr70s with as reservists with mosins, a maxim, satchels and a lahtika is seared into my brain.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Is there anything inherently wrong with the Maxim? The M2 just turned 100; seems like you can only innovate a bullet stick so much. Or really anything for that matter: road construction and smallpox vaccines are basically unchanged for the past couple hundred years as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psydude posted:

Is there anything inherently wrong with the Maxim? The M2 just turned 100; seems like you can only innovate a bullet stick so much. Or really anything for that matter: road construction and smallpox vaccines are basically unchanged for the past couple hundred years as well.

It's a perfectly reliable gun, but it's water cooled and heavy as gently caress, almost 140 pounds fully assembled and filled. That's not too outlandish for the early twentieth century: the M1917 Browning was 103 pounds in operating condition and the German MG08 was ~150 pounds. The Brits managed to get their own derivative down to 50 pounds by using advanced and relatively lightweight metal alloys. It also depends how much stuff you're mounting with the gun: apparently an M2 with tripod and other fancy gear installed can be 128 pounds.

A Maxim in a fortified defensive position will be pretty drat effective but if you're fighting a mobile battle you're better off with just about anything else.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 6, 2023

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Kallikaa posted:

I looked up kulspruta and Nordisk Familjebok 1885 says:
"Kulspruta l. mitraljös (T. kugelspritze,
kartätschgeschütz; Fr. mitrailleuse, mitrailleur)
kallas en skjutmaskin, bestĺende af en eller,
vanligtvis, flere pipor och ur hvilken en mängd
projektiler kan utslungas med stor hastighet. Namnet
kulspruta gafs första gĺngen 1848 ĺt en dylik maskin,
konstruerad af professor K. A. Steinheil i München,
vid hvilket vapen centrifugalkraften nyttjades som
drifkraft."

So German kugelspritze became kulspruta in Swedish

Seems the K.A. Steinheil is this guy:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_August_von_Steinheil

Though the wiki says he invented a "Zentrifugalwurfgeschütz" which is a nice name in itself.

I thought I loved bullet sprayer until I saw shooting machine.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

meatbag posted:

I read it as ball sprayer and loled

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Ataxerxes posted:

I think those [Maxims] were in the books up to the early 90's or so.

I recall reading that they were in the books specifically for units tasked with close-in defence of permanent coastal artillery batteries. Which would make a degree of sense, given that the weight becomes largely a non-issue in that context.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Ataxerxes posted:

How did they model the bicycles, that would seem non-trivial.

I'm so jealous of the Ukrainian army bicycles.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Antony Hawkski’s Existential War 2023.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://www.fontanka.ru/2023/03/02/72101819/

Last year, a bill was signed into law in Russia which makes it illegal to "discredit" members of volunteer units fighting for Russia. One of the bill's co-authors, Andrey Kartapolov (State Duma deputy chairman, chairman of the defense committee), was interviewed and asked about the prominent neo-nazis fighting for Russia. Here's a pertinent bit courtesy of Google Translate.

quote:

- Let me give you one example. God bless her, with Wagner PMC. Since 2014, a certain organization that calls itself "Rusich" has been fighting in the Donbass. In its purest form, fans of the Nazis, there are photographs where they zigue [sieg heil - my edit] against the background of the swastika, they have swastika tattoos. But now they are fighting on the side of Russia. Is the story about these people discrediting?

— I would recommend talking about these people with caution. To avoid conflict with yourself.

- I do not and cannot have an internal conflict when I talk about people who support fascism / Nazism. My history does not allow me any conflict.

- You can’t take it and just like that unsubstantiatedly declare that these people support the Nazis. We have no reason for this.

- How is it not? There are a lot of interviews where their founder Alexei Milchakov directly says that he is a Nazi, there are photos where they zigue, there are photos of their swastika tattoos. What more proof is needed?

- I think that they have already removed the tattoos and no longer zigue.

- That is, even here [in sympathy for Nazism] there is a right to make mistakes and perhaps correct?

- If they perform tasks as part of a grouping of Russian troops, then they have already corrected themselves.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Basically "The only moral nazism is our nazism!"

e: he's being surprisingly blatant about it though. I get that Russian internal propaganda is just a firehose of lies to make people give up on sussing out what the truth is, but I would have that each individual lie would at least try to sound convincing.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 6, 2023

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1632695013942370304

Ukraine maybe overstayed again. Kyiv Independent and Hauer are decent sources afaik, lemme know if that's wrong.

Dunno why they keep doing this. Maybe they really need the time to improve next defenses, or it's just this brutal calculus that you have the 2wk training guys to spare, idk. Some really bleak quotes in that article.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

bulletsponge13 posted:

Spetsnaz = Special Tactics: Snazzy

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1632680549918679040?t=n8HtvDWrW6uPIjyQy_Y1QA&s=19

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1632677375245680641?t=Q3EpwQs0Vk3jH47kKeb_hw&s=19

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice

meatbag posted:

In Swedish, kulspruta works well on many levels, as it also translates to fun, as well as bullet.

I did very much enjoy the Funsprayer 58, bringer of joy and good tidings.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

McNally approved post:

Hey thread I wanted to thank you for being welcoming to the GBS Ukraine thread posters while it was locked. It's open now! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026289&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I'd like to invite those interested to post there as well.

Thanks again!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Is it still cool to root against the Russians here? I spent a large part of my adult life training to fight against them and I kind of don't want to pretend that I don't want their military wiped out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

Is it still cool to root against the Russians here? I spent a large part of my adult life training to fight against them and I kind of don't want to pretend that I don't want their military wiped out.

Long as you're not making bloodlust posts I can't really imagine why you wouldn't be allowed to say things like "I hope the Russians get sent packing".

If you're going to lust for troop death and or make graphic posts concerning dead Russians though you might find a rather cooler response to your posts.

Literally nobody in this thread has a positive opinion of the Russian military or their invasion of Ukraine, but drooling over dead Russians is a very bad look.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Saukkis posted:

How did they model the bicycles, that would seem non-trivial.

I'm so jealous of the Ukrainian army bicycles.

Dave Mirra BMX reboot looking lit

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

The M2 just turned 100;

It did, but the M2A1 upgrades started rolling out over a decade ago. Among other things, barrel quick changes are way easier on an A1, and it now has a fixed headspcae and timing, so soldiers don't need to rob one another or pay outlandish prices to private vendors for headspace and timing keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Spetsnaz = Special Tactics: Snazzy

https://youtu.be/hlAsSyDAWR8