Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
V5 needs a BJ Zanzibar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Two things that I've had to make very clear to my players, due to most of the source material being very America-focused...

1) Guns are a lot less available than the source books suggest, and attract a lot more law enforcement attention. They're rarely worth the effort it takes to obtain them. Only one of my coterie members even has dots in Firearms, and that's only due to having been in the military as a mortal.
2) Cities aren't nearly as isolated as they are in American settings, even if the urban sprawl isn't as big either. There's three cities within 30 minutes of the main setting that each have a population of more than half a million, and there's 24/7 public transport. This has also made the Camarilla a lot more paranoid, to the point where they've ghouled numerous humans who for one reason or another spend a lot of time around the major transport hubs, both to keep track of who is coming in and who is going out.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

That’s good stuff to think about for the Deviant game I’m about to run. I’m from the US, but the game’s set in the UK and those are important political differences to keep in mind.

Has anyone else here run/played Deviant? Didn’t have an interest until I read the F&F review, but it’s the first CofD to spark my interest in a long time. The CofD ruleset is a bit more complex than what I usually run howadays, but I hope I can make it work.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gatto Grigio posted:

That’s good stuff to think about for the Deviant game I’m about to run. I’m from the US, but the game’s set in the UK and those are important political differences to keep in mind.

Has anyone else here run/played Deviant? Didn’t have an interest until I read the F&F review, but it’s the first CofD to spark my interest in a long time. The CofD ruleset is a bit more complex than what I usually run howadays, but I hope I can make it work.
It's very enjoyable to build characters in, and in practice my group found the best way to handle the idea of "single character for the whole campaign, who doesn't tetsuo-up 4 sessions in on a bad roll or take up 100% of the spotlight" in a crossover game meant we changed variation/scar acquisition from the Instability spiral to just "4xp/dot, variations have to have corresponding scars." So far: Very fun! You can do a lot of wild, stupid poo poo in the system.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Gatto Grigio posted:

Be absolutely sure all your players are on the same page when it comes to the conspiracy side of things. If you're going to have more than one they need to all be branches of the same tree as it were otherwise shits gets unruly fast.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Rubix Squid posted:

Be absolutely sure all your players are on the same page when it comes to the conspiracy side of things. If you're going to have more than one they need to all be branches of the same tree as it were otherwise shits gets unruly fast.

That’s good advice. We’ve agreed that all PCs will have been created by a single Conspiracy, and other Conspiracies won’t appear much unless we want to keep going after taking down the Big Bad (a UK biotech firm run by aristocratic game hunters who make Deviants because poaching The Most Dangerous Game (tm) is no longer as thrilling for their jaded asses.)

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 6, 2023

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
The other big thing I found out is that Deviant doesn't really seem to engage with power progression like the other games do, or at least in the same way. So if you're players are expecting that it's better to know ahead of time so you can work things out. That's more on me not meshing with the games bias toward burning hot and fast.

Drinking With Nixon
Mar 7, 2009

Your Mama's got plans, your daddy's aim is true.
She never understood that it ain't no good.
Papa never heard the cool.

ritorix posted:

V5 annoyingly split the clan writeups across several different books and won't correct that until the Players Guide releases later this year, which also won't be free.

As for material, in your V5 core book, hopefully it says 'second printing' at the bottom of the credits page, which means you have some errata built in. If not, pickup an updated pdf, or the 2.0 errata from Sept 2019. Then get the free Companion, which has other important errata like the blood surge and bane severity change, and the 'taking half' rule.

The best V5 material is probably Chicago and Cult of the Blood Gods. Clans are spread across Anarch (Ministry/OWoD Settites), Camarilla (Banu/OWoD Assamites), Cults (Hecata/blend of OWoD Cappadocians, Giovanni, and a few more) and the free Companion (Fiends, Salubri, Ravnos). That's not even getting into homebrew and third-party. The game has been out a while now, and people have added every clan and bloodline you can think of, and a lot of disciplines, with varying levels of quality. I'm in a game with playable Baali, gargoyles, and daughters of cacophony, with disciplines for each.

Other resources - If you want to understand the mechanics read this. A nice, visual character creation thing is here. Here's a V5 clan list and their disciplines, which has changed for some from owod:

I got lucky and bought the second printing of V5. I've checked out the companion and I really like the new take on the fiends. I dig weird territorial hoarders I guess. Chicago and Cult of the Blood Gods will both be on my reading list, thank you so much.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dawgstar posted:

It's not V5 specific but you want the Requiem book Damnation City.

Guilded Cage for, (gosh, I think it was Vampire: The Masquerade Revised edition?) would also be good

It was part of the depowering movement where they went from 'the president is somebody's ghoul and world wars are part of the games bored Methuselahs play' to 'this elder is super powerful because he 'controls' the docks, but he has to be careful not to actually use it much, because the auditors and inspectors will figure poo poo out pretty quickly.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheCenturion posted:

Guilded Cage for, (gosh, I think it was Vampire: The Masquerade Revised edition?) would also be good

It was part of the depowering movement where they went from 'the president is somebody's ghoul and world wars are part of the games bored Methuselahs play' to 'this elder is super powerful because he 'controls' the docks, but he has to be careful not to actually use it much, because the auditors and inspectors will figure poo poo out pretty quickly.'

Yeah, that's around when the movement started that - as former Requiem developer Rose Bailey put it - "vampires don't run the show, they just buy the popcorn."

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Drinking With Nixon posted:

*Give each clan a role in the city
*One major NPC per faction, keeping in mind the Beckoning

I just wanted to circle back to these two points. For the first, I don't think you need to shoehorn each clan into each city. Just have the clans, and their relative level of strength, depend on what niches there are to fill. How well they can fill that niche also dictates their power level. If your city is some grimy industrial setting, it wouldn't make sense for there to be many Toreador, for example. And if you absolutely must have Toreador for your setting, their tastes in art would have to fit with the setting. You could have Toreador who are obsessed with brutalist architecture, or industrial music.

The Toreador in my city are mostly focused on ancient and 'ethnic' art, partially due to the influence of Von Siebold, partially due to the particular museums in the city and the presence of a massive archaeology department.

Meanwhile, the city of Rotterdam, which is nearby, is pretty much entirely Nosferatu dominated in my chronicle, to the point where they even have a Nosferatu prince. This is because the Nosferatu control the docks. Rotterdam harbour is the biggest seaport outside of China, and until about twenty years ago it was the biggest seaport in the world, period. It's a huge, sprawling mess, more than 120 square kilometres. The Rotterdam Nosferatu basically managed to put themselves in a position where by the time the other clans realised that the port was growing into something massive, they already held all of the relevant territory. They managed to make themselves basically indispensable in getting goods and/or people into Western Europe.

Which ties into my second point. When looking at major NPCs in terms of positions of power, if one clan holds a disproportionate amount of power within a territory, it would make sense that they'd have a lot of seats to fill. There's nothing necessarily wrong with having the Prince, Keeper of Elysium and Sheriff all coming from the same clan, if that clan has enough clout within the territory to hold on to those positions.

Of course you can still have NPCs that count as major in a narrative sense, even if they aren't very powerful. When the coterie started out, their main point of contact was an old Gangrel who kept her haven in the basement of the local cat café, using her cats to gather information. I went with cats in stead of rats, because unless Werner Herzog rolls through your town, Dutch cities don't have nearly the problem with rats that American cities do*.

Also, the sheriff in the city is a Brujah. She grew up in a Soviet farm, and was rewarded with the embrace after she bludgeoned two SS officers to death with her bare hands. She decided to stick with the Camarilla even after the Theo Bell incident because she has a strong authoritarian bent. Most of her power comes from being a very effective sheriff, but she's basically the only Camarilla Brujah around.

* Spoiler for needless animal cruelty: During the filming of Nosferatu in 1979, Werner Herzog imported thousands of rats into the Dutch town of Delft. Since they hadn't been fed during the trip, they had begun cannibalising each other by the time they made it to their destination. He also insisted on dyeing the rats black in an incredibly inhumane process, only to have the surviving rats lick themselves clean by the time shooting started. He also released them all into the city for the film, without warning city officials that he'd be doing so.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

TheCenturion posted:

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, that's around when the movement started that - as former Requiem developer Rose Bailey put it - "vampires don't run the show, they just buy the popcorn."

I'm always of two minds on this. The first one is that it is a net positive since it doesn't lessen the horrors that humanity is capable of while also giving agency. When that poo poo is not done you end up with literal international incidents and using actual human rights abuses for quick and easy drama in your pretendy fun time elf game. It also frees up things from the metaplot.

But at the same time I miss the absurd gonzo aspect of all of it. Mass refugee camps on the Capital mall being met with a shrug. Centuries old monsters that have wirnessed the fall of empires squabbling over who will win the local election for dogcatcher. Gargoyle statues bolted on top of gargoyle statues.

It's like that dril tweet only the dial is marked "THAI CUISINE".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

citybeatnik posted:

Centuries old monsters that have wirnessed the fall of empires squabbling over who will win the local election for dogcatcher.

that's just normal american politics

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fuzz posted:

"Inside you are two souls.

Both of them suck and are awful. gently caress you."

Explains a lot, really.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What's everyone's opinion on "They came from Benetah the Sea"?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think I have all the main "They Came From" books and they good cheesy fun. The storypath system as a whole is neat.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I picked up "They Came from Beyond the Grave", "They came from Draculas Tomb", "Tales of Depravity" and "Heroes in a world of Horror" but haven't had a chance to read through them yet, but I couldn't pass up a TTRPG based on scholcky 70's/80's horror movies.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

joylessdivision posted:

I picked up "They Came from Beyond the Grave", "They came from Draculas Tomb", "Tales of Depravity" and "Heroes in a world of Horror" but haven't had a chance to read through them yet, but I couldn't pass up a TTRPG based on scholcky 70's/80's horror movies.

There's also "They Came from Camp Murder Lake" for doing 80s slasher stuff.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Everyone posted:

There's also "They Came from Camp Murder Lake" for doing 80s slasher stuff.

I seem to remember getting an email from Drivethru about that coming out and thought "Neat, I'll have to grab that" and then promptly forgot about it :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Unrelated tot his, but anyone who is playing HtR5, someone in the commnity made a nice quick reference character creation guide. Why the book didn't include this is... :confused:

Apparently the new Hunter book that just dropped earlier today digitally is quite good. No new Edges or anything, but several good hunts and examples of investigations and whatnot.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

citybeatnik posted:

But at the same time I miss the absurd gonzo aspect of all of it. Mass refugee camps on the Capital mall being met with a shrug. Centuries old monsters that have wirnessed the fall of empires squabbling over who will win the local election for dogcatcher. Gargoyle statues bolted on top of gargoyle statues.

I think there's two dials we're talking about here, one for vampire influence over the course of human history and power/influence, and one for how exaggerated and impressionist the titular darkness of the world is. You can have the gargoyles without President Renfield, and you can have President Renfield without the gargoyles.

I was always personally put off by the higher points in the WoD's history of exaggerated oppressiveness. Some books seemed to think every city had at least one underground snuff club. At the very least, I remember skimming the Orphan's Survival Guide and the first sample location you're given is a church converted into a goth club operated as a front for weekly gatherings of local politicians to abuse and kill children. Gargoyles everywhere isn't my thing but I definitely see the fun in it, but turn the misanthropy/atrocity part up too high and I start to feel like it's not a world I want to visit in my imagination, even to rage against it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I Am Just a Box posted:

I was always personally put off by the higher points in the WoD's history of exaggerated oppressiveness. Some books seemed to think every city had at least one underground snuff club. At the very least, I remember skimming the Orphan's Survival Guide and the first sample location you're given is a church converted into a goth club operated as a front for weekly gatherings of local politicians to abuse and kill children. Gargoyles everywhere isn't my thing but I definitely see the fun in it, but turn the misanthropy/atrocity part up too high and I start to feel like it's not a world I want to visit in my imagination, even to rage against it.

If it helps, the OSG was one of the more lambasted books of the line so I feel like it's common to think that one went too far.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Where can I find games of VtM these days? Has it all moved to Discord servers now? I guess I'll have to suck it up if that's the case, but those places are so annoying from my experience; it seems like a lot of people who don't get to play the games join solely to argue about stuff.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Soonmot posted:

V5 needs a BJ Zanzibar

The Storyteller's Vault is a thing. And I think there's a homebrew repository.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Whirling posted:

Where can I find games of VtM these days? Has it all moved to Discord servers now? I guess I'll have to suck it up if that's the case, but those places are so annoying from my experience; it seems like a lot of people who don't get to play the games join solely to argue about stuff.

I'm currently in talks to possibly play VtM with some people I met over Discord, it's a good option for online play. For live play, I spend time in my local game store, but it's a very DnD dominated country so YMMV

For FINDING the games, Facebook might be another option, there's probably Vampire-specific groups, and a whole lot of RPG-in-general groups

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

My weekly game is done over Discord, mostly slipping between different groups that i know. We'll finish up a game, one of the folks i met in the first game'll invite me to another, etc.

Facebook helps as well, as you said.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I run over Discord as well. There's even an IC channel for the group text chat inbetween sessions, to give the coterie a chance to talk about what they're doing inbetween chapters/stories. It also makes it very easy to share the location pictures I take in preparation for the session, and general handouts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Our GM had the amusing discovery that, by their reckoning, the best Changeling Kith for social manipulation roles mechanically is Beasts.

Make a funny kind of sense, I think.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Our GM had the amusing discovery that, by their reckoning, the best Changeling Kith for social manipulation roles mechanically is Beasts.

Make a funny kind of sense, I think.

This is 1E, I take it? I think 2E downplayed the "animal charisma" aspect of the seeming in order to broaden it to only be about instinct and wildness, likely so they could fit better with the whole "kiths are detached from seemings" thing.

also this implies you are playing a changeling game, or at least one that includes a changeling in it, and you're not allowed to just come into this thread with that implication without telling us about it. that's illegal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

1E, yeah. Though I still feel it makes sense; so much about 'instinct and wildness' IS social dynamics, after all. Easy enough to picture a Beast whose extra senses (and possibly cuteness) give them a big edge in social manipulation especially given they have a human mind to put things into context, even if they lag behind a little on said context. Could call it pack dynamics. Or puppy dog eyes.

And since you insist, after some teething to actually get the game off the ground with players who can commit, we ended up with a trio of Changelings in Seattle in the late winter of 2020 (where Covid never broke out, because to paraphrase the DM, gently caress having to work around that) getting steadily more entangled in an increasingly unstable political situation, not helped by the city's community have the Seasonal Courts and the Directional Courts. (Though it overall works out better than you'd think for the most part)

PCs are a Treasured trying to break type by embracing how a diamond is really just a really hard rock, specialising variously in looking impassively pretty and punching really hard, who may think she's the hero of the story; a deliberately insufferable Mirrorskin who is about the epitome of more money than sense, though on the downlow a bit more sensible than he appears, and is described as 'Diplomancer with money'; and a Woodblood who is something of a twig outside her specialties in contracts and dream magic, and seems to be down low making bad decisions even by this party's standards. Most of it centres around a cafe run by a mostly mirthless Chimera whose Mask is always supercharged and staffed by the more amusing kind of Hobs.

Introduction started off fairly low key but we've ended up with some real odd jobs, including finding rare wood to build a wooden-bladed sword and ending up meeting a Mage in the process, and said sword ending up used to assassinate the King of Spring (and see the above mention of the ingame date). Also the Minister of the South gave the trio an offer they can't refuse to investigate some aggressive real estate acquisitions, and merely making a map of the properties the mysterious firm have bought caused the office they borrowed for it to briefly turn into something like the Backrooms. Attempting to find out more about that kind of supernatural disturbance led to them seeking a mysterious, reclusive, ominous and very filthy sage deep in the Seattle Underground, who ended up picking a fight over a ghost eye the Mirrorskin plucked from a corpse in the Hedge and then shunted them into the Underworld when it started losing.

And so the party's now trying to find a way back to the world of the living, though at least we found the ghost and gave him his eye back.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\hellyeah that sounds fun!

In the previous session, the coterie was introduced to the community at large during elysium and named "justicars" by the prince. Their first task was to meet with an elder the next night about a problem with "revenants" a sort of living vampire that goes feral incredibly fast and can reproduce just by draining a victim to death.

The night started out with feeding, our mekhet felt her ghost sense tingle while feeding in the strip club they were given for territory, but was too busy to investigate, but otherwise everything was non eventful. One of my players cashed in a dot of mentor to have their sire send over info on the elder they were meeting, Ms Lulabelle Laurent, which gave everyone a leg up on how to act. When they arrived at her club, still in the ritzy downtown neighborhood of Fort Tulane in our city of Santa Sangre, but near the city limits where it starts to blend into the suburbs, they decide to skip the front door because real VIPs go around the back. Back there they meet Babs, a very nervous mortal retainer with a clipboard and two besuited guards.

The Mekhet, being very observant, takes Babs aside and convinces her to tell what's wrong. Well, you know the those revenants? her boyfriend has become one! She wants the group to protect him, because he's TOTALLY FINE AND ONLY SLIPPED ONE TIME! Babs doesn't know that becoming a revenant is basically a death sentence and Becky, the mekhet, tells her that she'll help the boyfriend, not exactly sure what they can do and realizing that she probably just lied to the woman. Releived, Babs takes them into the VIP section and then into the REAL VIP section where the vampires hang out and Lulabelle holds court.

They meet Lullabelle, her childe, a punk daeva who does not care for her sire's glitzy club named Scarlet Riker, who our ventrue recognizes as roller derby girl on a different team than the one her touchstone plays on. Scar and Iris, the ventrue, hit it off. They also meet Carl Cisneros who's introduces as Ms Lulabelle's advisor. Thanks to their information, the coterie doesn't try to flirt or joke around, subtly complimenting Lulabelle's ability to keep current with mortal fashion and getting down to business.

They're told that there are bodies in her domain that her people are discovering, that the pattern of kills and the wounds would point to revenants, a terrible tactic that certain factions of the Carthians used to destablized domains during the war between the Eastside and Westside, but since it's been over a year since hostilities had ended, these must be new ones. Scarlet is tasked with showing the coterie the scene of the last attack when a call comes in that a fresh victim has been found and the gang is off to a crime scene.

When they arrive, they see nothing until the enter deep into an alley Scar is leading them through and pierce the veil of obsfucate thrown up by a new vampire, Renea, the super goth elder mekhet who is also on Scar's derby team. Renea is an independent vampire, but is friendly enough with Scar that when she discovered the body she put in the call. The coterie is told that Renea is powerful enough and his been around the city pretty much forever, that no one tells her where she cannot go. Our Nosferatu, Hari tests this and gets stared down, not used to being the one BEING intimidated. The biggest shock comes from auspex being unable to recreate the killing, indicating that whatever killed the human had powerful obsfucate active, even Renea says she couldn't overcome it.

All is not lost, as Becky has the ability to see and interact with ghosts, and wouldn't you know it, the ghost of the dead mortal hasn't passed on yet, Becky questions it and it led to a really fun scene because while she's asking the questions and responding in our main discord chat, I'm giving her the responses in a private chat, so the rest of the group is reacting to their weird coterie mate talking to nothing they can see.

She discovers that the man was attacked by one revenant, and when he started to hold his own in fighting the monster off, three more appeared out of no where and held him down. The biggest of the revenants tore his throat out letting blood spray everywhere while the other two bit him and drank his blood. The original revenant was forced to lick the blood up off the dirty ground to feed as a sort of punishment. Investigation of the scene was able to reconstruct the struggle and it led to their favorite place, the sewer again!

Only this is an active sewer line, so it was way grosser than the empty one from the previous night. They follow the trail of the revenants to a collapsed basement, what looks like a sinkhole formed, dropping the floor out of a building and then opening a passage into the sewer system. Inside the the basement they see it's the revenants lair and not only are there more corpses, these partially eaten, but there are two fresh bodies set aside in a corner. It seems like the revenants are waiting to see if these will rise as revenants themselves, which is a level of planning that should be too complex for these creatures that are supposed to run on pure instinct.

They're alerted to a return of the revenants and set an ambush which disables all four revenants in a single surprise round. The leader wasn't damaged too bad, but tossed up some obsfucate and fled, which again, goes against what they were told of these creatures. Making use of contacts they made at elysium, they get a hold of Gary, the nosferatu who handles body disposal services for the invictus. Gary is already setting up to clean the alley the fresh body was found in and sends his childe down to survey the scene and collect information. Because of her investigation, the coterie finds out that there was bedding for ten revenants total. They killed two, disabled one, and the leader vanished. The disabled one, they tied up and transported to the abandonded labratory from the previous night to keep secured for experimentation!

A good time was had by all, Renea, the scary elder goth vampire was very interested in our gangrel having actual cat ears and bonded with her over hunting. Actual hunting, not just feeding. Turns out her leather bodice was actually home made. She instruced Kizzy, the gangrel, to find her and that she would tutor Kizzy in how to be a better predator. Iris, the ventrue, and Key, the davea, bonded well with Scar wh was impressed with how well her sire took to the coterie.

The Map has grown even more ridiculous with the addition of more NPCs but I still love this tool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thanks, I feel like Changeling even moreso than most is prone to becoming basically Always Sunny with magical powers. Then again, maybe that's just us.

My backup character idea is a Yakuza-inspired Draconic.

Also, my conversation with the GM went something like
"If you say Animal Magnetism, I'll throw poo poo at you."
"Puppy dog eyes."
"poo poo, that's worse."

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 17, 2023

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Here’s another recap! This time it’s a short one, since we played a shorter session and most of it was spent on OOC planning, specifically the players planned how to run a business. Previously the Banu Haqim primogen, Samira, had given the coterie an empty warehouse and instructions to turn it into something useful for the Camarilla. I saw no need to run the mundane work of hiring contractors, finding legal counsel, etc. in character, and instead I just let the players plan what they wanted the place to become and had them roll some skills to see how it goes, and next time we play it will have been finished off screen.

So now the players have an animal hospital, that is secretly a back alley clinic, that is secretly a blood extraction facility. They also made two ghouls to run the place and I gave them homework to tell me details about the ghouls before the next session. As I told my players “I will fill the blanks for you, but I fill blanks only with problems.”

Once we were done with this, Sheriff Qadir al-Asmai dropped by for a visit. He had a possible issue and wanted to find out if the coterie was about to cause issues. Specifically, he had heard that they had a problem with federal agents. The players tried to inquire where the Sheriff had heard about it, but couldn’t convince him to reveal his sources, beyond “I’m the Sheriff, it’s my job to know.” Qadir explained to them that messing with the FBI has a high risk of Masquerade breach, and his job is to eliminate those who break the Masquerade. And now he wants to know what the characters are planning.

My players adopted quite different stances to authority breathing down on their neck. Thomas, a Pyramid loyalist, loves nothing more than the taste of a boot, adopted a humble approach, lowering his head and not saying anything in order to not escalate the situation and avoid any blame. Augustus attempted to stand for himself and push back, but failed and antagonized the Sheriff even further. They told the Sheriff that they had called in a boon with Walter Nash to take care of the problem. Nash would discredit the agents, making them look foolish and stripping them of their power. Qadir questioned why they would send a hundred years old gangster who can’t even use a television to do this. Thomas explained “Anyone close to a massive clown like Nash must be a pretty big clown themselves” which delighted me as a GM, since that is the impression I’ve tried to give of Nash, but it was not enough to convince the Sheriff.

Now I prefer when NPCs assume that the players know more than they do. Sheriff Qadir pondered for a while and came to the conclusion that the players had tricked Nash into a situation where he would breach the Masquerade, giving the Prince a reason to call Bloodhunt on Nash and thus the coterie would gain favor with the Prince. The characters considered quite a leap of logic. Qadir said that he had assumed the characters were aware Walter Nash and Prince Panhard hate each other.

Having no more questions on the matter, Qadir told the coterie that he had received complaints that they had been hunting on other Kindreds’ turf, and that they needed to knock it out. He reminded them of the Tradition of Domain and that following the traditions was a prerequisite for their continued membership in the Ivory Tower. If the coterie didn’t respect the domains of others, they shouldn’t expect others to respect their domain either, and that the Prince would soon find someone more worthy of the domain.

And with that the Sheriff left and we decided it was a good point to end for the evening.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
V:tM Players Guide preview. The alternative banes/compulsions stood out particularly to me. I'm already working on an idea involving the alternative Banu Haqim bane as a potential Masquerade breach bringing the Camarilla into conflict with the local Ashirra enclave.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skios posted:

V:tM Players Guide preview. The alternative banes/compulsions stood out particularly to me. I'm already working on an idea involving the alternative Banu Haqim bane as a potential Masquerade breach bringing the Camarilla into conflict with the local Ashirra enclave.

Can you give a quick rundown or link to a non-video? I am old and impatient and do not want to watch an hour long video chat.

\/\/\/TY!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 24, 2023

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Banu Haqim: Noxious Blood - A mortal drinking vitae of a Banu Haqim with this bane variant takes a point of Aggravated Damage equal to the bane severity for each rouse check worth of vitae they ingest. It also can't be used to heal mortal injuries.

Brujah: Violence - On a messy critical for any skill test, the Brujah causes damage (physical or mental, depending on the situation) to the subject of their interaction, equal to their bane severity. The damage is aggravated baseline, but can be turned into superficial by spending a point of willpower.

Gangrel: Survival Instincts - Substract dice equal to the bane severity from any roll to resist fear frenzy. This can't take the pool below one die.

Hecata: Decay - Gain additional dots in Flaws, equal to bane severity, divided among Retainer, Haven and Resource Flaws. Advantage dots for the same cost additional XP equal to bane severity.

Lasombra: Callousness - When making a remorse roll, deduct dice equal to the bane severity. This can't take the pool below one die.

Malkavian: Unnatural Manifestations - When using a discipline power near mortals, for the duration of the scene, any following interaction with these mortals besides intimidation suffers a dice penalty equal to the bane severity. Any vampire in proximity will immediately recognise the Malkavian as being a vampire.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

The devoted companion for Deviant the Renegades released yesterday. Still flipping through it. I don't have enough of a handle on the core book to get all the implications of the systems, but it looks neat so far.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I ran my first session of Deviant yesterday.

Before we played, there were two Session Zeros we needed to finish character creation (partially due to IRL issues), but I guess that’s expected when you have characters as customizable as Deviants. It took place in Cardiff. Opened with the PCs meeting a whistleblower at a tacky chain restaurant (a Cheese Dudes franchise, for all you System Mastery podcast fans out there), and ended with a rushed escape against a trio of Dog Boys (Manticores based off of hunting dogs spliced with human and ape DNA). Good times!

Will definitely grab the Devoted companion after my next paycheck

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gatto Grigio posted:

I ran my first session of Deviant yesterday.
Well? Tell us more about the PCs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Well? Tell us more about the PCs!

There are 4:

a young heiress (Exomorph Coactive)altered by the Conspiracy (a UK biotech firm) on the say-so of her parents. Possesses precognition, telepathy, and short-range translocation, but is prone to hallucinations

an Irishman altered with fox DNA (Epimorph Chimeric)to be the perfect prey for jaded aristocratic hunters. Powers focused on agility and camouflage, but cursed with paranoia and an inhuman appearance

A transforming cyborg dragonfly-man (Exomorph Invasive)based off of Kamen Rider

A private investigator turned into a zombie-like undead creature (Exomorph Mutant) Maxed out Anomalous Biology, Inhuman Digestion, and Rapid Healing, at the cost of sometimes craving human flesh