Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Starting to get the prickly nature, that sensation where there's still a lot of stuff left to go through, but I'm increasingly not wanting to deal with what's left, as I found myself playing a lot of Meltdown this morning instead. Maybe committing to this for 2 weeks+ was a bad idea. Oh well, that's as much a sign that I need to soldier on through as anything else, since overcoming that overpowering feeling to do spring cleaning on my Steam account is why I suggested this in the first place. We'll see how many new games end up on here today.

Spring (Sale) Cleaning - March 5th

PREVIOUSLY PLAYED - I beat Book of Demons once, and then put the game down, not finding it interesting enough to do the postgame/explore it with other characters. They've added a lot to the game since then, but it still isn't. There's a lot to love here in this card-based, sort of but not really a deckbuilder, ARPG, such that I still recommend going through it once, but that's all.

PREVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED - In the GRIM darkness of the fantasy present there lies Grim Dawn. It has a very GRIM opening, what with you being possessed and left to hang, only to be saved at the last second, and then sent back into a graveyard full of zombies and other undead to save an outpost from its GRIM fate.

Okay, I'm being a little unfair to Grim Dawn specifically, this bit has been around since at least Diablo, if not earlier. I just kind of wish that most of its successors hadn't decided that "dark, brooding atmosphere" was critical to making their games work. I put up with the original Torchlight for hours more than I should have, because at least that game was bright and cheery. I found a happy medium in Titan Quest, which should also be somewhere on the spring cleaning list eventually.

Gameplay's good, though I'm not a high end enough power player to figure out why you should specifically play this over any of the other modern ARPGs in this vein or just go back and play Diablo 2 for the umpteenth time.

PREVIOUSLY PLAYED - They say that the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over and expecting things to change, which is kind of thematically appropriate for my experience with the Darkest Dungeon. Every couple of years, I try to break it out and make meaningful progress, only to find that while all the mechanics are satisfying, the overall experience of playing Darkest Dungeon is extremely tedious. I'm glad it exists, but I think it's about time I admit I'm never going to beat the game. Incidentally, did you know that only 6.1% of the people who bought Darkest Dungeon have the achievement for completing the game, even on the easiest difficulty setting?

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowcaster posted:

i'm still here i just realized during my week long binge vacation in mexico not posting i don't want to post anymore

didn't realize that was my last post lol that would've been poignant

lmao well thank you for posting to confirm your living status, friend

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

some I had heard of before (Bits & Bops is basically a Rhythm Heaven clone, CHORVS people know about obviously, Conscript is WW1 Resident Evil-style game similar to Signalis, DoubleShake is inspired by Mischief Makers

nice maybe iol write thr first review

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Brocktoon posted:

So glad you enjoyed the game! Just wanted to let you know that my brother’s inspiration for Cache Grabbers was Miasmata from 2012, which he really loved, so you may be interested in checking it out. (I think it gets pretty cheap during sales). It’s more survival-based than puzzle/level based, but it features a similar cartography/triangulation mechanic.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/223510/Miasmata/

Oh cool. Thanks very much for the heads up. lol It turns out I've already got that in my Steam library from somewhere, but never tried it before. I think I was under the impression it was more of a horror thing, which I generally don't enjoy. Will give it a go sometime.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jossar posted:

PREVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED - In the GRIM darkness of the fantasy present there lies Grim Dawn. It has a very GRIM opening, what with you being possessed and left to hang, only to be saved at the last second, and then sent back into a graveyard full of zombies and other undead to save an outpost from its GRIM fate.

Okay, I'm being a little unfair to Grim Dawn specifically, this bit has been around since at least Diablo, if not earlier. I just kind of wish that most of its successors hadn't decided that "dark, brooding atmosphere" was critical to making their games work. I put up with the original Torchlight for hours more than I should have, because at least that game was bright and cheery. I found a happy medium in Titan Quest, which should also be somewhere on the spring cleaning list eventually.

Gameplay's good, though I'm not a high end enough power player to figure out why you should specifically play this over any of the other modern ARPGs in this vein or just go back and play Diablo 2 for the umpteenth time.

It is exceedingly Grim but its also a spiritual successor to Titan Quest with some quality of life improvements and new mechanics. In terms of arpgs, there's a ton of stuff going on that makes it very, very good if you're into theorycrafting goofy builds. Which is kind of a niche within a niche but hey, it's a good spot to be in!

I made one dude who is basically a bullet hell shmup boss and another who throws poop from his rare unique drop poopy pants.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 5, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Fruits of the sea posted:

It is exceedingly Grim but its also a spiritual successor to Titan Quest with some quality of life improvements and new mechanics. In terms of arpgs, there's a ton of stuff going on that makes it very, very good if you're into theorycrafting goofy builds. Which is kind of a niche within a niche but hey, it's a good spot to be in!

I made one dude who is basically a bullet hell shmup boss and another who throws poop from his rare unique drop poopy pants.

Oh, I definitely recognize that the capacity for theorycrafting exists, but also you have Path of Exile and its goofy node tree (although people break out into arguments as to whether THIS is the season that you shouldn't play PoE because it's been RUINED FOREVER by the market, whatever the season's mechanics are, developers changing priorities, etc.) and Last Epoch, just as the ones I can remember off the top of my head even in this specific niche.

Comedy Option - for a lighthearted, bright, and colorful ARPG experience, maybe I should try Minecraft Dungeons.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I have probably a dumb/naïve question.

I know there are websites like gamersgate where you can buy keys and activate them on steam, and they'll have sales that don't always correspond to Steam's sales. I know there are also a lot of shadier ones that offer super cheap keys cause of region fuckery or w/e. I don't know if steam actively punishes people for this or if that's just a rumor, but I was curious if there's a good price comparison website or list of more legitimate storefronts that I should be looking at? I've pretty much only ever bought games directly from steam, and googling "game name + steam key" is like SEO bait for a bunch of sites I've never heard of and don't trust. :shobon:

vvv thank you! I knew I'd seen something posted before but couldn't find it. Appreciate it!

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 5, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Waste of Breath posted:

I have probably a dumb/naïve question.

I know there are websites like gamersgate where you can buy keys and activate them on steam, and they'll have sales that don't always correspond to Steam's sales. I know there are also a lot of shadier ones that offer super cheap keys cause of region fuckery or w/e. I don't know if steam actively punishes people for this or if that's just a rumor, but I was curious if there's a good price comparison website or list of more legitimate storefronts that I should be looking at? I've pretty much only ever bought games directly from steam, and googling "game name + steam key" is like SEO bait for a bunch of sites I've never heard of and don't trust. :shobon:
Use https://isthereanydeal.com/

It only indexes legitimate sites

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Waste of Breath posted:

II don't know if steam actively punishes people for this or if that's just a rumor,

Not exactly punishes but they have been known to revoke keys so that’s definitely a risk.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Valve almost never revokes keys, but the developer/publisher will revoke batches of keys that they have been acquired illegitimately.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

DoubleShake is inspired by Mischief Makers and Tomba,

i played the demo for a while and it definitely has good bones and could be good. I got frustrated running back and forth. It doesn't point an arrow where you're supposed to go, and that's good to encourage exploration, but the traversal isn't innately fun enough to make that exploration its own reward. The problem is inexpressive character animation and sound effects that don't pop. When you don't quite feel the action, it's hard to even remember what buttons do what. I know how to taunt, but that doesn't seem to do anything. The kick animation looks like it's not even an attack. The character should gleefully say "shake shake!" when shaking things.

-if you could tilt the right stick to nudge the camera within the 3D space (not "tiltlook") it would help orienteer.

I want to post the first review... but i also don't really want to post it unless it's a nice review telling people to play it. I'd encourage y'all to wishlist it just to encourage the dev to keep at it. cool project. for me it's just neat that somebody's making a neo Mischief Makers. That's like making a spiritual sequel to Plok.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

Valve almost never revokes keys, but the developer/publisher will revoke batches of keys that they have been acquired illegitimately.

There was one time where I was told "hey here's a Valve complete pack"

It rung up as "Half-Life 2 complimentary" and I went "huh that's weird". This was ages ago before CS:GO came out, so I thought nothing of it, and then CS:GO came out, and it was suddenly in my library.

Turns out it was a journalist key, it definitely got revoked by Valve.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

1. what do you call highlighting and navigation that's not mouse-based? Like all the interactable elements are highlightable by arrowing around. What's the name for the general concept? Cursor highlight snap-to UI operational systems? that's probably what theye call em

2. does Gem wizard tactics have this on the xbox and switch versions? i'm guessing that they hired someone to port it, and didn't back-port that full controller support to the PC version. which is something that should never, ever happen
:guillotine:
not the first and only time that's happened...

edit: yes it has full controller support on the console version trailers here https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/gem-wizards-tactics/9mzqc20pw79w

Mescal fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 5, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Buff Hardback posted:

There was one time where I was told "hey here's a Valve complete pack"

It rung up as "Half-Life 2 complimentary" and I went "huh that's weird". This was ages ago before CS:GO came out, so I thought nothing of it, and then CS:GO came out, and it was suddenly in my library.

Turns out it was a journalist key, it definitely got revoked by Valve.

Iirc, Valve used to give certain journos free access to the entire Steam library. But that ended some years ago.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Iirc, Valve used to give certain journos free access to the entire Steam library. But that ended some years ago.

you can't get that anymore but last i heard it was still active for those who did get it, occasionally jeff gerstmann would show steam during a stream and his account had a "claim for free" button on every store page

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I just beat Tyranny, which I loved, but I wonder if I played the game wrong. By the time I had access to casting Edicts... there was nothing left to do but head to Bastard City and make the last fellow swear fealty. But it felt like I got Edicts at the point in the game I was expected to -- it was right about when I was at my most powerful, and Edicts being the only thing making one even more powerful than that.

Maybe I should have done only main quests the entire game and saved the side quests for last :confused:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No, that sounds about right. Tyranny's second half was incredibly rushed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waste of Breath posted:

There's a bunch of sites that officially sell retail Steam keys that are above board. Off the top of my head: Fanatical, GameBillet, GamersGate, Gamesplanet, Green Man Gaming, Humble, and Voidu.

Then you have sites that sell gray-market/arbitrage keys--ones that are significantly cheaper in other regions. CDKeys does this. Allegedly, all their keys are legitimate, but they're not an official reseller.

Then you have marketplace key sites where individuals sell their own keys--however they're obtained--and the site gets a cut of the transaction. This can be as simple as someone having leftover unused keys from a Humble Bundle, or they could be keys purchased with a stolen CC/money laundering/etc. This includes G2A, Eneba, Kinguin, etc.

So far I've only ever purchased keys from the first category. GG.deals is another site that's good for tracking sales across Steam, official key sellers, and third-party/marketplace key sites prices too.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I buy from cdkeys all the time and never had any problems. Not arguing their iffy legitimacy but never had any keys revoked so meh. deals.gg is good though just to see how stupid some of these sites are like the super shady ones that are cheaper than the rest by a couple bucks but have a "$2 fee" that brings it back up to be equal with all the other less than legitimate retailers.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

credburn posted:

I just beat Tyranny, which I loved, but I wonder if I played the game wrong. By the time I had access to casting Edicts... there was nothing left to do but head to Bastard City and make the last fellow swear fealty. But it felt like I got Edicts at the point in the game I was expected to -- it was right about when I was at my most powerful, and Edicts being the only thing making one even more powerful than that.

Maybe I should have done only main quests the entire game and saved the side quests for last :confused:

I think technically you can cast Edicts starting from the end of Act 2 once you gain the ability to do so narratively, but Act 3 is so short that there's basically no point in using them except to show off.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 5, 2023

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I bought Aeterna Noctis since it was on sale, and I easily went past the 2 hours refund window because it was fun, and the visuals were really good. Now I realized I got tricked into playing literally a game for masochists, and I'm not sure I'll be able to rise up to the challenge. The tower of light dungeon just didn't seem to want to end, and there was a big rear end sword at the end that just chopped you down if you were moving too slow and oh man what did I buy :negative:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I bought Aeterna Noctis since it was on sale, and I easily went past the 2 hours refund window because it was fun, and the visuals were really good. Now I realized I got tricked into playing literally a game for masochists, and I'm not sure I'll be able to rise up to the challenge. The tower of light dungeon just didn't seem to want to end, and there was a big rear end sword at the end that just chopped you down if you were moving too slow and oh man what did I buy :negative:

which difficulty are you playing on? I felt like the less difficult mode was pretty reasonable (apparently it changes a bunch of the room layouts so that the platforming isn't as hard), but ended up dropping it after running into a trio of awful bosses in the second half of the game that were making it more frustrating than enjoyable. Shame because the game was extremely good up until that point.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone having an issue with Steam lately where the Friends list just doesn't open? Restarting Steam seems to fix it, but it is annoying. Happened a few times this weekend :(

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Sab669 posted:

Anyone having an issue with Steam lately where the Friends list just doesn't open? Restarting Steam seems to fix it, but it is annoying. Happened a few times this weekend :(

I haven't had it happen recently, but it does seem to happen from time to time. Not sure there's anything more to fixing it in a more comprehensive way other than reinstalling the client or waiting out the next update.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Sab669 posted:

That did happen today, yeah.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Brocktoon posted:

Monday was my birthday AND the release of my brother's game Cache Grabbers, so to celebrate I am going to buy copies of it for the first 3 people who quote this post with their steam profile!

So hit me up if you want to chill out with a relaxing first-person cartography puzzle game!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

So overall, liked it a lot and even felt like I learned something playing. Hope it's a big success and leads to more games of this type. I would love to see a follow up of some sort. Thanks again very much!

Game seemed interesting based on this review, so I gave it a shot. I am only through like level 6 so far before I had to go be productive elsewhere.

It seems like a fun little puzzle game so far. I like that I had to slow down a bit and look at the signposts that popped up for a graphical indication of what to do next. Nice that it didn’t hold your hand and force you to only do certain key entries, or highlight your screen with arrows and stuff. There is text for hidden areas and for finding the goal item of each area.

$15 is a little steep for what it appears to be, but for a goon related project I am not too worried about the price. Just might be a problem for the dev down the line.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jossar posted:

Oh, I definitely recognize that the capacity for theorycrafting exists, but also you have Path of Exile and its goofy node tree (although people break out into arguments as to whether THIS is the season that you shouldn't play PoE because it's been RUINED FOREVER by the market, whatever the season's mechanics are, developers changing priorities, etc.) and Last Epoch, just as the ones I can remember off the top of my head even in this specific niche.

Comedy Option - for a lighthearted, bright, and colorful ARPG experience, maybe I should try Minecraft Dungeons.

Yeah, Path of Exile's nodes are a little overkill imo but it leans even more into the theorycrafting.

Kinda weird that there aren't more cheap and cheerful arpgs. As much as l like being a dork about builds, there's something nice about making a Diabloman and just hitting stuff without thinking too much about stats and itemization.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:rip: marvel heroes

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ghostlight posted:

It's ironic that they killed the successful superhero GAAS and have never succeeded at making a new one ever again

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Chronicon

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mycot posted:

It's ironic that they killed the successful superhero GAAS and have never succeeded at making a new one ever again

Yeah this

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Ghostlight posted:

I never did cosmic...

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Orvin posted:

Game seemed interesting based on this review, so I gave it a shot. I am only through like level 6 so far before I had to go be productive elsewhere.

It seems like a fun little puzzle game so far. I like that I had to slow down a bit and look at the signposts that popped up for a graphical indication of what to do next. Nice that it didn’t hold your hand and force you to only do certain key entries, or highlight your screen with arrows and stuff. There is text for hidden areas and for finding the goal item of each area.

$15 is a little steep for what it appears to be, but for a goon related project I am not too worried about the price. Just might be a problem for the dev down the line.

Yeah, I didn't get into the price since it was gifted, but I think it's probably a little high too. This is really arbitrary, but $15 is the point at which games are no longer impulse purchases in my mind. I could be totally wrong, but I think the audience likely opens up a lot if this was a tenner instead.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

chronicon is good but the text fonts bug the absolute poo poo out of me

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Ghostlight posted:

this still makes me sad/angry and everyone I know who knew it existed shares that feeling

it was ripped away from me and dc universe is still walking around in their garish leotard :mad:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They killed it just as I started to give it a try too, lol.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Jelly posted:

this still makes me sad/angry and everyone I know who knew it existed shares that feeling

it was ripped away from me and dc universe is still walking around in their garish leotard :mad:

I had some fun with DC Universe but this was back in like 2013 and it play like a dinosaur. WB/SOE is never going to refresh that poo poo.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A lighthearted, bright, and colorful ARPG would be amazing right now.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

which difficulty are you playing on? I felt like the less difficult mode was pretty reasonable (apparently it changes a bunch of the room layouts so that the platforming isn't as hard), but ended up dropping it after running into a trio of awful bosses in the second half of the game that were making it more frustrating than enjoyable. Shame because the game was extremely good up until that point.

I am playing on the Noctis difficulty because it said some achievements could not be earned on the lower one. This is probably a dumbass decision but I wouldn't want to play the game a second time just to get some achievements. Maybe it's not worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

People that care too much about achievements need to be introduced to Steam Achievement Manager.