Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For me it’s not OCD, it’s pure laziness. I don’t mind discoloration, I just really dislike having to wrangle a whole half-sheet pan into a sink it doesn’t fit into, and I inevitably slop soapy/dirty water everywhere and it’s just a pain in the rear end. I would rather just throw it in the machine and walk away.

I didn’t know the oxidized layer could be removed, though, that’s super interesting and I’ll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it's galvanic corrosion so if you're willing to run the aluminum stuff through the dishwasher by itself without any stainless stuff in it, it might be okay

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mystes posted:

I think it's galvanic corrosion so if you're willing to run the aluminum stuff through the dishwasher by itself without any stainless stuff in it, it might be okay

I understand that "galvanic corrosion" is an actual thing but it sounds like Star Trek technobabble.

Though TIL I should stop putting my sheet trays in the dish washer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
When we remodeled our kitchen I made sure we got a single basin sink that could fit an entire half-sheet pan in it for cleaning.

Every time I wash a sheet pan I thank 2019 Me.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

For me it’s not OCD, it’s pure laziness. I don’t mind discoloration, I just really dislike having to wrangle a whole half-sheet pan into a sink it doesn’t fit into, and I inevitably slop soapy/dirty water everywhere and it’s just a pain in the rear end. I would rather just throw it in the machine and walk away.

I didn’t know the oxidized layer could be removed, though, that’s super interesting and I’ll give it a shot.

I feel you on that, the amount of water that you can slosh around from a sheet pan while cleaning it in the sink is absolutely astounding. It's really boggles the mind when you get that pan just wrong and all of a sudden you've flooded your entire living room or drowned your cat or whatever.

My solution to that is the smaller sized pans, quarter and eighth sheet sizes. They are so incredible for cooking up dinner for just a few people and being that I live in an apartment, we have rather small ovens/sinks/dishwashers so the larger sized pans are an absolute pain in the rear end to deal with. What I really love is being able to fit two+ different pans in the oven at the same time on the same rack as well, in the case where you're cooking different vegetables/meats/etc that all have different cook times. Throw in the sweet potatoes on one tray 40mins out, throw in chicken 10mins later and then throw in the asparagus 10mins after that. Pull em all out at the same time at the end, all properly cooked and hot and ready.

Small sheet pans are dope.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Washing in a regular size sink is fine as long as you have a extending hose sprayer faucet. I stand it upright in the sink

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Galvanic corrosion requires constant contact in an electrolyte solution, so it’s not that. Aluminum just oxidizes very readily and the dishwasher does a swell job of it.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
E: Wrong thread.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
idk i run my nordicware sheets through the washing machine sometimes and no oxidation :colbert:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
To those of you who recommend the scrub daddy, thank you. I really love the product, these things are great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It seems that I might have (slightly) hosed up my Dutch oven with a black scouring pad. The enamel on the bottom of my Dutch oven is a slightly lighter color now. I think I’ll stick to green scouring pads

I should probably treat the stains as seasoning anyways

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Unsure if this is the right thread...

Is there a consensus goon-approved container system?
  • Want ~5 containers for meal prep purposes.
  • Make food on Sunday, store, last through Friday.
  • Modestly sized containers, 1 meal worth of volume each. (I recognize "1 meal worth" can vary a lot).

These OXO pop top containers seem to be well regarded and have a dumb gimmick, which appeals to me.
  • Also, do the various brand ~seal technologies~ actually do anything above and beyond regular Tupperware sealing?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Main clarifying questions that always come up:

1. Must you reheat in the storage containers, or can you deal with transferring to a microwave / oven safe dish?
2. Is contact with non-BPA plastic okay? If you're flexible on question 1 and 2, it's delitainers all the way.
3. If you want to reheat in the same container, then the glassware rabbit hole is for you

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rubbermaid Brilliance for life, IMO.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thank you for your help, my friends :)

BrianBoitano posted:

Main clarifying questions that always come up:

1. Must you reheat in the storage containers, or can you deal with transferring to a microwave / oven safe dish?
2. Is contact with non-BPA plastic okay? If you're flexible on question 1 and 2, it's delitainers all the way.
3. If you want to reheat in the same container, then the glassware rabbit hole is for you

1. Reheating in the container would be good, but if a superior product requires that I need to dump them into a frying pan or oven sheet then that's fine. Silly question but just to be sure - both glass and plastic can be safely reheated in the microwave right?
  2. Isn't BPA plastic the bad plastic? Wouldn't I prefer food contact with BPA-free plastic? The delitainers you posted seem nice like a solid budget option.
  3. Gonna need some help on this one, I did a brief search of glassware rabbit hole and the results were a bunch of booze products and then also literal rabbit food containers.

Subjunctive posted:

Rubbermaid Brilliance for life, IMO.
You seem to be on the correct path, my friend, because America's test kitchen agrees.

Two winners from America's test kitchen were: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WprgFWLgguM

Additional Question: Is America's test kitchen legit? Or are they like wirecutter where they got bought out and are now just stealth advertising?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Additional Question: Is America's test kitchen legit? Or are they like wirecutter where they got bought out and are now just stealth advertising?
I think they're more like Consumer Reports where the testing is legit according to their standards for what it's worth, but their standards may not have any correlation to anything you care about

Glass containers with locking plastic lids are pretty great in a lot of ways but they're heavy and don't stack like other containers like delitainers so they take up a lot more space. I think it's nice to have a few of them so you can reheat leftovers right in the glass container but they're not great if you want to store a ton of stuff.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 6, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Somebody needs to do a flowchart of when ATK is trustworthy and when they’re gigantic liars

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I like Rubbermade Brilliance for storing ingredients but the cheaper containers with the EasyFind lids for storing leftovers and such.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Somebody needs to do a flowchart of when ATK is trustworthy and when they’re gigantic liars

They're gigantic liars when they recommend against the thing I've already purchased, obviously.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I actually find that I really like containers with that little flap on the lid so when you toss leftovers in the microwave you don't have to partially remove the lid etc for steam. I'd love a hard locking plastic top, glass bottom container with that flap.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You’re literally describing the Rubbermaid Brilliance Glass, hooray

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I bought some glass Ikea 365 bowls for holding bread dough the other day, and then went back and got several more, and they're somehow still all in use! They're pretty good, and even the lids seems to be microwave safe.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

For meal prepping I use the Pyrex meal prep containers. I have probably 25-30 of these things. I decided to not get snap closure glass containers because I am told the lips are prone to chipping over time. The lid on these Pyrex ones don’t come close to sealing, but they’re cheap as poo poo and I usually keep them upright/don’t transport especially liquidy things. For soup I just use mason jars. It’s really nice being able to freeze mini casseroles or lasagnas or whatever just toss them in the oven. And for microwaveable things, nice to not worry about plastic warping over time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I own a lot of the random borosilicate brands from amazon in the 36 oz rectangle size. Glass is amazing I highly recommend over plastic but I also eat a lot of tomato.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I've never done one of the All-Clad Seconds Sales before; I checked the site and apparently there is one that starts in 1 Day, 11 Hours?

https://homeandcooksales.com/

However, despite the thing that says the sale starts in a day, I can access the site and there are products; I can add them to the cart and everything else.

Am I missing something? Is it OVER in 1 Day, 11 hours? Is this like a pre-sale and the sale prices during the three-day window will be better?

I'm so confused.

Edit: Looks like I can make it about halfway through checkout before the "NEXT" button is shaded out; guess I'll have to wait.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 12, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Do countertop dishwashers make much enough of a labor difference day-to-day to feel worthwhile?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you have any floor space, the portable dishwashers on wheels are 100% worth it

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Do countertop dishwashers make much enough of a labor difference day-to-day to feel worthwhile?

Define countertop. The tiny ones that look like a toaster oven or the half height standard width ones that are a short version of a full size dishwasher? I exclusively use the latter for a family of three and as long as you stay on top of loading and unloading it's perfect. Having it at counter height is great since you aren't bending over to load it, but I've figured on the few occasions I've wanted more washing space I'd get two of these and stack them so i can load into one while unloading from the other one.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

Define countertop. The tiny ones that look like a toaster oven or the half height standard width ones that are a short version of a full size dishwasher? I exclusively use the latter for a family of three and as long as you stay on top of loading and unloading it's perfect. Having it at counter height is great since you aren't bending over to load it, but I've figured on the few occasions I've wanted more washing space I'd get two of these and stack them so i can load into one while unloading from the other one.

I was thinking one of the tiny ones, but I’m open to alternatives. The portable one mentioned above looks interesting as well.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Take a look at the Danby DDW621WDB. I'm pretty sure it's a rebadged oem sold by lots of different suppliers since the same one is available everywhere with only minor changes to the control panel layout. It sits comfortably between standard size countertops and the shelves fitted above them. I've had one rebranded by a local supermarket chain here for over a decade now and it's still going strong, one or two of the spikes that hold plates has come off the cage but otherwise its fine. Does a surprisingly good job of drying after use and holds a lot more than the toaster oven style ones.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I’m looking at adding an induction hotplate to my kitchen because i often run out of room on my gas range. Is there any particular highly recommended unit? Wirecutter recommends Duxtop, which I’ve never heard of any sounds very “Amazon special”

Don’t have the budget for a breville control freak, sadly. Up to 300$ or so if it’s worth splurging?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Duxtop is made by Secura, which appears to be run by a Chinese guy in Washington state

It seems to be well reviewed by a bunch of publications

Amazon specials tend to have all caps names

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Duxtop whined for me way too much. Nuwave Gold has worked wonderfully for me, and the super granular controls are excellent. It doesn't have a thermostat, but somehow it seems very accurate for both my small pot for candy and my wide skillet for shallow frying. Very helpful to dial in sugar or oil temperature.

I did deep frying once, but it took a ton of time to come to temperature. Worth it because cleanup is much better, but something to know.

It really looks like the infomercial option, but it really is superior.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I’ll probably end up with one of those two, but I still don’t get how there’s a low end of the market covered by cheap off brand units and a a high end market for candy nerds/commercial kitchens with nothing really in between.

In an ideal world, there’d be a decent unit with a temp sensor and a physical control knob for 100-300$ but it doesn’t seem to exist as all the ones I did find appear to be discontinued.

Edit: ordered a commercial spec duxtop for now. The NuWave looked very appealing but the Amazon listing for the one I was looking at had converted listing shenanigans going on and all the others ship from outside Canada. Hopefully it doesn’t whine too much!

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 20, 2023

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I have a Duxtop induction hotplate. It's worked well for me. Would recommend.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of induction, does anyone have any advice for using earthenware or glassware on induction? Is there like, an thing you can put on top of the cooktop or something you can use? Or are you just relegated to putting your glassware/earthenware on top of a steel pan?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
So, as mentioned earlier, the Duxtop does indeed squeal, but interestingly (and not surprisingly) I can’t hear it. My partner, however, very much can to the point that she doubled over and put her fingers in her ears.

I’m going to try a different one, see if it’s any better. Also the coil size is disappointing, there is a very well defined hot spot about 4” wide with a cool center (donut?) so the steak I made had absolutely fantastic crust and then a gray spot. Boiled a bot of water in about 5 minutes though, which my gas stove can’t even get close to.

Anyone know of a different portable burner that has larger coils/more even heating?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of induction, does anyone have any advice for using earthenware or glassware on induction? Is there like, an thing you can put on top of the cooktop or something you can use? Or are you just relegated to putting your glassware/earthenware on top of a steel pan?

https://www.amazon.ca/Diffuser-Stainless-Induction-Electric-9-45inch/dp/B07QMNHB5F

This kind of thing yeah.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Frank Dillinger posted:

So, as mentioned earlier, the Duxtop does indeed squeal, but interestingly (and not surprisingly) I can’t hear it. My partner, however, very much can to the point that she doubled over and put her fingers in her ears.

I’m going to try a different one, see if it’s any better. Also the coil size is disappointing, there is a very well defined hot spot about 4” wide with a cool center (donut?) so the steak I made had absolutely fantastic crust and then a gray spot. Boiled a bot of water in about 5 minutes though, which my gas stove can’t even get close to.

Anyone know of a different portable burner that has larger coils/more even heating?

Now I'm curious, I'll test the donutty-ness of Nuwave and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Frank Dillinger posted:

steak I made had absolutely fantastic crust and then a gray spot

what kind of pan? I can imagine this kind of results with carbon steel, or maybe even thin cast iron, but i’d be surprised to see it with a decent tri-ply or encapsulated pan

also fwiw i didn’t notice hot spots like that with carbon steel on a nuwave