Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Macaluso posted:

It's not. Keep your cats indoors, people

I don't disagree with having indoor cats. I was just responding to the person I quoted, who said they don't know poo poo about pets really, that it's very difficult to make an outdoor cat move indoors permanently. A catio, as someone pointed out, helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Arivia posted:

I don't disagree with having indoor cats. I was just responding to the person I quoted, who said they don't know poo poo about pets really, that it's very difficult to make an outdoor cat move indoors permanently. A catio, as someone pointed out, helps a lot.

It is difficult sure, I don't disagree with that. I just didn't agree with impossible. And yeah I think a catio is a great idea. Or even a porch if it's closed in. There just tends to be this idea that outdoor cats can never be turned into an indoor cat and people tend to just be like "It's too hard" instead of doing the work of getting the cat used to being indoors.

Bakeneko posted:

I’ve never found it difficult to keep fleas off of my cats. Just give them a dose of Frontline every month and forget about it.

Fleas were such a huge problem for a while for me, even with my cat being indoors. Since living in places with hardwood or tile I have not had any issues. I never want carpet ever again

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 5, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arivia posted:

:same: I have a cat that's 100% indoors, and would never have an outdoor cat unless I lived in the middle of absolute nowhere in an area that somehow lacked both immediate neighbors and dangerous wildlife. However I've also seen attentive and loving owners adopt outdoor cats and try to transition them to indoor only, and years into it every time they open a door leading outside the cat bolts out from wherever they are and tries to go out. Again the older the cat is the more difficult-bordering-on-impossible it is to get them to change their lifestyles substantially.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Macaluso posted:

It's not. Keep your cats indoors, people

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

FWIW:

Could be interesting to watch.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

don longjohns posted:

My cat used to be an indoor/outdoor cat until I caught her crossing a busy-rear end road to visit some loving cows and kill lizards. Then a week later my friend's indoor/outdoor cat, 1 year old, got hit and killed by a car. I made my cat indoor only and never looked back. I built her a catio and she loves it. Never tries to make a break for it and seems really happy. She's about 11 now and still healthy and perky as a kitten. My other cat has more trouble staying indoors than her and he has never been indoor/outdoor.

Yeah cats are stupid and will ask or try to go outdoors because it looks interesting. You don't have to accommodate them. Play with them inside so they get exercise and stimulation. If they escape, try to get them back in. They're a net negative on the outdoors and a destructive invasive species across a lot of the world. Some places have killed off all the large native predators, but that still doesn't stop cats from getting into conflict with things their size, dogs, humans, cars, getting diseases and parasites, etc.

It's like people complaining about motorcycle helmet or seat belt laws. Sure, statistically there's someone out there who's happy and safe while doing it. It doesn't not make it risky behavior.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah cats are stupid and will ask or try to go outdoors because it looks interesting. You don't have to accommodate them. Play with them inside so they get exercise and stimulation. If they escape, try to get them back in. They're a net negative on the outdoors and a destructive invasive species across a lot of the world. Some places have killed off all the large native predators, but that still doesn't stop cats from getting into conflict with things their size, dogs, humans, cars, getting diseases and parasites, etc.

It's like people complaining about motorcycle helmet or seat belt laws. Sure, statistically there's someone out there who's happy and safe while doing it. It doesn't not make it risky behavior.

No one’s arguing cats need to be outdoors or that it’s safer for them or something. It’s not an indoor/outdoor cat debate. The originating post was someone who admitted they do not have pets and was asking why you didn’t just turn an outdoor cat into an indoor cat all of a sudden. Talking about the ecological effects of outdoor cats contributes nothing to the actual discussion. Going “I gave my outdoor cat a catio and now she’s happy indoors” helped a lot.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

No one’s arguing cats need to be outdoors or that it’s safer for them or something. It’s not an indoor/outdoor cat debate. The originating post was someone who admitted they do not have pets and was asking why you didn’t just turn an outdoor cat into an indoor cat all of a sudden. Talking about the ecological effects of outdoor cats contributes nothing to the actual discussion. Going “I gave my outdoor cat a catio and now she’s happy indoors” helped a lot.

I'm agreeing with someone and digressing into related thoughts, not rebutting anyone's opinion. You're allowed to do that in a discussion thread.

And I'd rather talk about cats than loving disgusting bedbug youtube videos.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

We've got a catio now. Generally we used to allow our cats out (and we still have one who's very much an outside cat and that can't really change, she'd whine way too much about it), but yeah...we thought that an enclosed area might be a better idea in the end. Few too many scares over the years.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I remember my mother trying a few times to keep the cats inside when I was a kid, but it never stuck. They got so stressed and miserable. I’ve always let mine go wherever they like, but then again I don’t live near a busy road or any other major threats. If I did I’d have adopted an older one that had already grown out of its wanderlust.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I think a lot of it comes down to individual cats. Both of our cats are indoor kitties and one of them loves to explore and wants to go outside and climb on things and try to sneak up on the birds so I've got her harness trained and take her out with me frequently on a long-ish leash so she can feel independent and go most anywhere she wants. Our other cat hates the outside more than anything and when the door is even open to bring in groceries or whatever he will sit near it just staring hatefully at the outside world trying to intrude on his space until one of us closes it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiXup0XvACw

Shaun takes another look at PragerU.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I absolutely love that I can’t do anything about the three outdoor cats in my neighborhood who frequently tear up my garden and use it as their giant litter box. And yes, I’m past the fertilization jokes stage.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pachylad posted:

FWIW:

Could be interesting to watch.

I think Ralph Bakshi already had the greatest clapback at these clowns and their malformed mockery animation:

https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1631056221535891456

When the Wizard of Rotoscoping looks at something you've made and goes :yikes:, you've really hosed up.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

For a while Youtube has been pushing me Phil Edward's youtube page, one of the video editors for Vox. Rather than pieces about news items or explainers, you mostly get things like Oreo Vs Hydrox, videos about the shapes of things and other assorted things. Think of it as what if Great Big Story (The youtube channel) met Tedium (The editorial website \ magazine). The video that got me to post about here? A video on the Peeing Calvin.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

I absolutely love that I can’t do anything about the three outdoor cats in my neighborhood who frequently tear up my garden and use it as their giant litter box. And yes, I’m past the fertilization jokes stage.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/chemfree-critter-ridder-motion-activated-animal-repellent-sprinkler/1000755980

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I remember my mother trying a few times to keep the cats inside when I was a kid, but it never stuck. They got so stressed and miserable. I’ve always let mine go wherever they like, but then again I don’t live near a busy road or any other major threats. If I did I’d have adopted an older one that had already grown out of its wanderlust.

Yeah but they can still kill local wildlife. Not to mention them contracting diseases from said wildlife.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

why tho lol

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Dongicus posted:

why tho lol

The well of Debunk watchers has not yet run dry.

Also that Bedbug video activated some repressed memories of when I fought the little fuckers in my home. For months after every itchy or crawling sensation on my skin gave me a mini-panic attack that they'd somehow returned. Nasty things.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dongicus posted:

why tho lol

sometimes you wanna have an easy month I guess. you can't always kick off a 4 month long probe into just how transphobic the BBC is (very transphobic, it turned out.)

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s ridiculous lmao

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Sorry in advance for bringing everybody down, but this was a pretty rough watch. I've been a fan of Dianna "Physics Girl" Cowern for a while, and just recently found out about her massive health problems stemming from long COVID:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vydgkCCXbTA

The fact that goofball-robot-builder Youtuber Simone Giertz, herself a brain cancer survivor, is doing this just hit me all the harder.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I might have missed this the first time but LadyKnightTheBrave did a video on Blade Runner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PdOm93h5Nw

I really like her essays.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Lzh0XlzIA

New F.D. Signifier

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

That’s ridiculous lmao

It's like a sentry turret with a spray bottle. We used them at work to keep the shorebirds off our boat and dock.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I dont really care for FD Signifier, but I was happy to see him dodging the "Just be yourself" lovely advice often given by people. That type of vague advice is exactly why we get Tate and other bullshit artists exploiting people in teh first place.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I admit, that's a powerful thumbnail.

^^^ also, yeah, that kind of advice (that FD doesn't do) plays into the whole... Laissez faire attitude of not actually helping people who want help.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Mic the Snare's newest discography/retrospective is looking over the lengthy career of... Nirvana.

Needless to say, this inevitably includes discussion of suicide and self-harm.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

New Chrotendo Episode! Another hour of "Oh God he's still in 1990?!" Production levels have improved and now the starting animation is in 60fps, but looks like future episodes might be slower bc of worsening health conditions.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 7, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Eddy Burback posted a really excellent video examining ghost kitchens, how they work, and how they're a complete nightmare to regulate from a health inspection standpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkIkymh5Ayg

Archer666 posted:

I dont really care for FD Signifier, but I was happy to see him dodging the "Just be yourself" lovely advice often given by people. That type of vague advice is exactly why we get Tate and other bullshit artists exploiting people in teh first place.

That's very much not a video made for me, but I do appreciate how he's trying to make things that are honest about mens' issues while providing an alternative option from completely toxic youtube manosphere poo poo.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
An interesting video that came across my feed featuring a Japanese anime veteran explaining why so much anime is being produced but animator wages remain stagnant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExwO1v_V-s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Eddy Burback posted a really excellent video examining ghost kitchens, how they work, and how they're a complete nightmare to regulate from a health inspection standpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkIkymh5Ayg

I watched this yesterday and thought it was pretty interesting, except for the part at the end where he does the focus group. Which, to me, came off as kind of unfocused. Like it was a lot of effort to reinforce a point he already made.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Speaking of Mr. Beast

https://twitter.com/MrBeast/status/1631781099415257088

Hey, Mr. Beast? gently caress you. Are you loving kidding me with this

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Gonna do the exact opposite of that

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mr breast

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hell yeah, trick kids into making retail employees' job easier for them. They deserve it with all the psychopaths spitting at them during the initial COVID outbreak.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Speaking of Mr. Beast

https://twitter.com/MrBeast/status/1631781099415257088

Hey, Mr. Beast? gently caress you. Are you loving kidding me with this

he loving knows a horde of attention hungry youths are going to flood his timeline with before/after pictures and bragging about helping because they think he might give out money

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Hell yeah, trick kids into making retail employees' job easier for them. They deserve it with all the psychopaths spitting at them during the initial COVID outbreak.

The thing is it won't make the job easier. Either the people doing this are going to do it wrong, just presented nicely, which the person is going to have to fix. Or people are going to intentionally gently caress up displays for a picture to send to Mr Beast, and now the retail worker has to clean it up.

I worked at a grocery store for quite a while and occasionally some customer would come in and try to help by fixing the displays or whatever and more often than not they did it wrong and quite frankly I didn't feel grateful that they were trying to help. I felt like "wow you're a moron for wanting to do this for free"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I don't go above and beyond but my time in retail makes me reflexively re-front the product after I grab one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Scholtz posted:

I don't go above and beyond but my time in retail makes me reflexively re-front the product after I grab one
Yup same. I worked retail/shelving from 16 till I was 19 and still do this.