Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I made some sourdough pretzels a bit ago. They ended up as some nice lumps of bread, completely lost their shape. Either the dough was too wet, I didn't know how to work it, or the long proove time gave it a lot of time to lose its shape. But it was an enriched dough and they baked through, so I could get rid of the evidence no problem. I guess I should try making regular pretzels before jumping in w/ the weird stuff.

I think I'm going to continue trying for the bagels and posting my failures here so I cannot hide my shame. They do taste nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

All i want is that blistered, crispy crust on every bread ever, drat.

I just add a load of steam to produce a nice crust.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

So I love sourdough bread, I love bagels. Can I make sourdough bagels? The answer is no.

Theres a couple of things I need to work on here, shaping obviously leaves something to.be desired. After that I think these got over proofed so they're pretty flat and have a weird seam round the edge on some of them

They taste good and texture is not terrible so I will need to work on that shaping and proofing to get to right.

I think you’re being very hard on yourself. Those look great and I’d absolutely eat them.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nah, they're not. I think bagels need to be approached like baguettes in that you should have a sponge as well. With pure culture the dough gets too lose to handle the boil.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If bagels are supposed to have a sponge then sponges should be able to crack windows when thrown.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Nah, they're not. I think bagels need to be approached like baguettes in that you should have a sponge as well. With pure culture the dough gets too lose to handle the boil.

I think they would have been fine after the cold proof had I not over proofed them in the warm proof, they just lost their shape and went flat.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I have made this seed and oat bread three times now.

Fermentation is really hard in this apartment. Our unit is small and has an incredibly effective HVAC unit. However, it doesn't run slowly and steadily - instead, it blasts on and off and there's a lot of temperature variability. When we moved here, despite our serious efforts, our kombucha production totally failed.

So, when the bread didn't rise the first time around I knew what was up. The second time, I put the bread near the oven exhaust during the first rise but didn't do anything during the second rise. This definitely helped but the bread was still pretty dense. The third time was the winner. I used the oven's exhaust again but stuck the bread in the oven after heating it to 100C and letting it cool a bit for the second rise.

Beautiful, soft, fluffy bread.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Your hvac unit is probably too big for your space. Which leads to what is called short cycling. Not good for comfort or for the unit.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Your hvac unit is probably too big for your space. Which leads to what is called short cycling. Not good for comfort or for the unit.

Although I am pleased that my intuition is correct, it is frustrating that new condos are being built this way! We rent the condo so it won't change.Thanks for the tip though - something to check and change if we buy a condo in the future (kombucha here I come!)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

We’re getting there I think. This took seven hours to proof and it’s still a bit under. Do I maybe need more rye or something in the dough?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Good bread this week, it is disappearing at an alarming rate. Paired it with beef bourguignon for an excellent match.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I started baking a few months ago because bread I liked was getting too loving expensive. I made mainly rolls?, rock hard, rock solid. Last weekend we experienced electricity problems so my rolls waited 5hrs to get to oven. Also still no electricity but we used a wood powered oven.

I realized that bread will not be rock hard if I give it enough time to rise. So I looked search engine's first ciabatta recipe and tried to do it:

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/rustic-italian-ciabatta-recipe

Too much flour on surface, otherwise seems to work. Can't wait for them to cool down, made three with different oven times.

I wish I had any idea how to make bread like this. What kind of oven you need to burn the bread?

Ishamael posted:

Good bread this week, it is disappearing at an alarming rate. Paired it with beef bourguignon for an excellent match.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 17, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Ihmemies posted:

I started baking a few months ago because bread I liked was getting too loving expensive. I made mainly rolls?, rock hard, rock solid. Last weekend we experienced electricity problems so my rolls waited 5hrs to get to oven. Also still no electricity but we used a wood powered oven.

I wish I had any idea how to make bread like this. What kind of oven you need to burn the bread?

:black101: cool on the wood fired oven for baking during a power outage. Excellent.

To get deep brown crust on bread, all I need is a normal electric oven, not even convection, and enough time to do it. 400-450F is all the heat you need for that, and I get nice brown crusts at 350F with enough time.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So just more time. How do you prevent the bread from turning to crisp inside too? The crust protects the moisture inside? Maybe I should just be braver and keep the bread in the oven longer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ihmemies posted:

So just more time. How do you prevent the bread from turning to crisp inside too? The crust protects the moisture inside? Maybe I should just be braver and keep the bread in the oven longer.

I bake covered in a cloche at 230c for 30 mins then 190c for 25, and get good colour with not overdone insides. The French have a word for the inside of bread, which English is sadly lacking

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

therattle posted:

I bake covered in a cloche at 230c for 30 mins then 190c for 25, and get good colour with not overdone insides. The French have a word for the inside of bread, which English is sadly lacking

I don't know the word either, so I asked it from AI:

ChatGPT posted:

Yea, verily, I can impart unto thee the names of the parts of a bread.

First, there is the crust, which is the outermost layer of the bread and often has a golden-brown color and a slightly crispy texture.

Beneath the crust lies the crumb, which is the soft and airy interior of the bread that is created by the process of fermentation.

In some breads, there may be air pockets or holes within the crumb, which are known as the "crumb structure."

The top of a loaf of bread is called the "crown," while the bottom is referred to as the "heel" or "butt."

Finally, in some breads, there may be add-ins such as nuts, seeds, or dried fruit, which are often referred to as "inclusions."

May this knowledge serve thee well in thy bread-making endeavors.

Crumb? I guess I'll try to keep the bread in oven longer next time I want more color. Maybe with different temps.

The last bread I cooled inside oven which was cracked open a few cm's. It got a nice crisp crust. Seems cooling it inside the oven is essential, as recipe said.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 17, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

If you're worried about overcooking your bread, just check it with a probe thermometer. I put mine in for about 15 minutes to develop a crust, then stick the probe in roughly the middle of the loaf and set it to beep at 196F (sometimes I try 205F instead. I can't really tell much of a difference though). Most breads are cooked internally at like 195-210F.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tried an olive oil infused loaf today and got great results

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
In case any of you are curious what that yeast is doing while you're sleeping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS8TpHCK2cU&t=310s

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ihmemies posted:

Ciabatta shouldn't go to richly dark and brown like some of the stuff we're posting. I was still working on my bread technique with my pizza oven, but we sold that house and I haven't built a new one here yet. I think the big deal is with steam and being able to plug the steam in. The next thing I was going to try was warming up some lava rocks in the oven while firing and then shoveling them into a victim vessel (cast iron or a throwaway aluminum pan or something). A spray bottle of water when initially placing the loaves does go quite a ways towards getting there.

A ceramic wood fired oven has a lot of retained heat and won't react to putting some measly dough in, so usually one doesn't need to bake as long. Still, I'm kind of surprised when I see people talking about baking artisinal loaves in one at 550F. I figured it would end in charcoal since a NY-style pizza can be done at 600F, but then again, I'm usually doing a NY-style with the fire still going. For bread, you are advised to dig out all the coals.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I've watched like every youtube video that exists on english muffin recipies, and they all end up just looking like biscuits or plain bread. They cut 'em open and close up and somehow think that simply saying "Look at all those nooks and crannies!" makes it so, when it is very visibly just solid bread, maybe with a slightly soft/loose crumb.

I've never seen one that looks anything like the real store-bought english muffins, in terms of the airyness/holes. On the other hand, I haven't had an actual storebought english muffin come out like that in ages either. The last batch of Bays english muffins (my normal go-to) were so dense and solid you could kill an Ox with one hit.

I'm assuming there's something weird in the process they use for the mass produced english muffins to get them that airy, or at least that is supposed to do that when they bother to get it right?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm assuming there's something weird in the process they use for the mass produced english muffins to get them that airy, or at least that is supposed to do that when they bother to get it right?

Dough conditioner. It's loving awesome stuff, and I should steal the box of it from my last job before he declares bankruptcy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I never really focused on that with homemade and can't remember how they came out. Having done a lot more bread since then, I want to think some milk and a wetter dough would help. They're typically done in tins so the dough might as well pour more than place.

Of the kinds I tried, I generally liked copycats of Model's Bakery. Fry the fuckers in butter muahaha

Edit: and yeah, dough conditioner for the easy button.

Edit edit: I remember some old advice when I was experimenting with English muffins that tearing them apart gets you more of that classic texture too.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 22, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Made some sourdough rye bread. Forgot the middle hole. Forgot air holes. Forgot to use enough flour. Dough was too wet. The bread didn't go into oven nicely, the 2nd one especially folded over itself...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
...middle hole? Or, indeed, air holes? You have forgotten things I have never known.
Also, you put the bread direct onto the baking rack?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

...middle hole? Or, indeed, air holes? You have forgotten things I have never known.
Also, you put the bread direct onto the baking rack?

Traditionally the rye bread was stored in a roost, like this. So it had to have a hole installed in the middle:

Also some poke small extra holes with a sharp instrument before putting the bread to oven, then it won't rise too much, but it stays flatter.

I baked them in 200 C for 40mins, on a pizza stone. I removed the stone, put the bread back in, turned oven off and cracked the lid open a few cm's. It makes them crispier. I wanted to try some really crispy bread this time.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 23, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I fumbled with one bread while putting it to oven. It folded over and the inside fold didn't get crispy. Otherwise the bread looks and feels edible.

So we have lan party tomorrow. I'll take the good bread with me, and destroy the not so good bread today. The inside of the fold isn't nice, off-putting, maybe probably not even fully baked, but :shrug:

The combination of crisp crust and soft interior is really exciting in a rye bread.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've watched like every youtube video that exists on english muffin recipies, and they all end up just looking like biscuits or plain bread. They cut 'em open and close up and somehow think that simply saying "Look at all those nooks and crannies!" makes it so, when it is very visibly just solid bread, maybe with a slightly soft/loose crumb.

I've never seen one that looks anything like the real store-bought english muffins, in terms of the airyness/holes. On the other hand, I haven't had an actual storebought english muffin come out like that in ages either. The last batch of Bays english muffins (my normal go-to) were so dense and solid you could kill an Ox with one hit.

idk that I'm, like, god's gift to english muffins or anything, but doing them on a very hot baking steel and then forking them apart instead of cutting with a knife seems to do the trick in terms of getting the classic interior texture. I've had great results with Stella Parks' recipe doing this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ihmemies posted:

Traditionally the rye bread was stored in a roost, like this. So it had to have a hole installed in the middle:

...and here I thought that my lack of sleep would keep me from learning anything new today.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

My english muffins (3rd batch ever) are not very nook and cranny, but this was the first time the dough wasn't so wet that i couldn't handle it- added another half cup of flour or so. The first two batches were very wet and had more of that internal texture, but the exterior was ugly since i couldn't ball it up.

No idea how to thread the needle on that one.

e: photos didn't attach sorry

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 24, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I think I'm probably over-fixated on having giant holes in there. What I'm really trying to avoid is a dense/doughy interior.

Either if the bread is just heavy/dense to start with, or I probably lack the right vocabulary here, but if you pinch a slice of the bread a bit and it doesn't bounce back, just sort of compresses. I have a lot of stomach problems so anything that feels like it's going to sort of wad up into a gut bomb is a big no-go. So I'm always trying to keep things light/airy/springy. But that seems tough to get consistently at home at least for me (maybe I do need to introduce some dough conditioners/improvers).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You'll eventually be able to handle wetter doughs like magic with practice. Keep it at.

Other goon, you probably need to ferment more.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Another use for sourdough discard: biscuits! I like buttermilk biscuits but never have buttermilk on hand. These get a nice tang from the sourdough and I like what my whole wheat starter added to the taste and texture. I got a nice crispy top and fluffy layered insides.

Breakfast for dinner tonight!

Recipe is King Arthur Buttery Sourdough Discard Biscuits.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured out if I drop down the hydration on my artisinal loaves that I can get closer to a bread ear. I think that was the leading problem for me. The recipe I had been using was 85-90% hydration depending on if I went for 500g of flour or 475g (depending on additions and moods). I dropped the hydration down to 60% or so and got myself a nice ear and a good vertical spring. If somebody has any tips for having a higher hydration loaf perform better vertically and form an ear, I'd be all for it, but I feel like I'm basically asking how to making a pancake cook upwards.

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022
I recently got into all things sourdough and it's been a pretty fun learning experience considering I was initially a little intimidated. I made this Sourdough Discard Chocolate Loaf Cake last night and it was insanely good. Will definitely be adding this recipe into my discard rotation.

Got a batch of sourdough rolls rising atm. Hoping they're as successful as the cake.

As an Empath... fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 28, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005

As an Empath... posted:

I recently got into all things sourdough and it's been a pretty fun learning experience considering I was initially a little intimidated. I made this Sourdough Discard Chocolate Loaf Cake last night and it was insanely good. Will definitely be adding this recipe into my discard rotation.

Got a batch of sourdough rolls rising atm. Hoping they're as successful as the cake.

Love a good sourdough cake. Looks delicious.

As an Empath...
Aug 19, 2022

effika posted:

Love a good sourdough cake. Looks delicious.

Thanks! :) Those biscuits that you posted the other day looked killer (probably going to try making them this weekend).

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I presently proof my bread in a place that's ~24C. In the height of summer last year, I don't think there was a place in my home that was <34C. In such a situation, do you just make do and expect it to take far less time? Or does it become actually problematic?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
You could significantly reduce the amount of yeast you use to slow it down, or do one of the rises in the fridge.

I think my unairconditioned kitchen gets that hot in the summer with the oven on and maybe the top floor on the worst days, but how is that a consistent indoor temperature for your place and why would you want to turn on the oven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Mauser posted:

but how is that a consistent indoor temperature for your place and why would you want to turn on the oven?

I'm in a country where home air conditioning is not normal and there was a week last year where it reached 39C, so no matter how much closing of windows and curtains, inside is going to get intolerably hot. I hadn't considered the oven aspect because I'm an idiot.