Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Southern Cassowary posted:

I know the classic chainsaw sound is all knobs on ten (and all HM-2 merch should have the knobs there unless you're selling to MBV fans or something) but I actually prefer it with the gain at zero into a high-gain amp. The gain knob is kind of an on/off switch and the no gain sound is like an EQ into a more usable gain structure and sounds awesome - you still get the chainsaw nasal snarl but it's way more usable.

Yeah I was just referring to the chainsaw sound. In all honesty I never owned an HM-2 (or intend to own one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLe_BZ1mo3I

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

field balm posted:

however, if you need a convenient way to transport your watch and mouse you're in luck!

You'll need a place to keep all this stuff

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gateway to the tone zone

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What a great place to put a fire extinguisher. Practical and a bit showy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gotta be prepared for the licks getting too hot

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Steve Albini is a crotchety old jerk but when he's right, he's right.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I had to tolerate seeing steely dan and the doobie bros. with my partner so she would go see slayer with me.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Thumposaurus posted:

I had to tolerate seeing steely dan and the doobie bros. with my partner so she would go see slayer with me.

I would probably give my left rear end cheek for a chance to see Steely Dan live (not that I don't like Slayer)

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I think Steely died, Dan is still touring

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mister Speaker posted:

Ooh now do Tom Waits

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dan haters btfo or prepare to be destroyed

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

Hey taking a 3 hour nap to get to see Slayer is a sweet deal

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If I could go back in time, I'd prevent Steely Dan.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just a reminder that Chevy Chase was an early drummer in proto-Steely Dan.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
For the Stupid poo poo, I listed three things on Reverb and had three scam messages within one hour. Why they don't limit messages to people with an actual account drives me nuts.

Absolutely NOT stupid, but pretty awesome poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slpJsOXe3pA

Also, Steely Dan sucks.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Gramps posted:

Hey taking a 3 hour nap to get to see Slayer is a sweet deal

Bad deal, you'd also have to listen to slayer

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just a reminder that Chevy Chase was an early drummer in proto-Steely Dan.

Just remembering the Steve Hoffman forum boomer poster who said "Becker and Fagen were searching for Porcaro, while Chevy was falling all over the kit." gently caress that guy

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I personally welcome Steely Dan in this thread because it's the only thread where Steely Dan belongs.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

https://twitter.com/OilSlickRick1/status/1622855009607229440

(As far as the drummers go, I'll take Roland over Wendel any day)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I love Steve Albini but that might be the most successfully brutal takedown I've ever seen that didn't end in a Romanian prison

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

https://twitter.com/OilSlickRick1/status/1622855009607229440

(As far as the drummers go, I'll take Roland over Wendel any day)

:drat:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

albinis just mad he didnt make 11 tracks of whack

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Kingo Ligma posted:

I love Steve Albini but that might be the most successfully brutal takedown I've ever seen that didn't end in a Romanian prison

I like Steve Albini, but I feel like if I knew Steve Albini IRL I’d say “yeah dude whatever” a lot.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

TheMightyBoops posted:

I like Steve Albini, but I feel like if I knew Steve Albini IRL I’d say “yeah dude whatever” a lot.

Makes sense, he did do that united states of whatever song in the 90s

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Chrpno posted:

Makes sense, he did do that united states of whatever song in the 90s

I’d love to hear Big Black cover that song

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Oh God the local music store has a blue eppy les paul I think I might go play it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

do people really say this

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

do people really say this
Nope. We say, "Epi."

HUGE difference.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
eppy gibby

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

idk why but I hear it with a French pronunciation

motorocker
Dec 23, 2013

Soiled Meat
Probably been posted already and sorry if it is as such, but in the motorocker book, this is deffo stupid music poo poo https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Certified-Vintage

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

motorocker posted:

Probably been posted already and sorry if it is as such, but in the motorocker book, this is deffo stupid music poo poo https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Certified-Vintage

I mean Vintage guitar prices are definitely stupid music poo poo, but Gibson is genius for figuring out a way to wring more money out of people who already spend too much money on their mostly overrated guitars. I need to make a trek and play some newer ones- I don't think I've really played too many since they got rid of Henry. I'm hearing a LOT of good things as far as qc and build quality since the takeover

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

how old does a guitar have to be until it's officially vintage? i have a '97 gibson les paul studio. it rules and is also beat to poo poo in an authentic way because i gigged with it in punk bands for like 15 years.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

how old does a guitar have to be until it's officially vintage? i have a '97 gibson les paul studio. it rules and is also beat to poo poo in an authentic way because i gigged with it in punk bands for like 15 years.

I kinda use the classic car standard of 25 years but calling a 97 lester "vintage" makes me feel super old... poo poo

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Gramps posted:

I kinda use the classic car standard of 25 years but calling a 97 lester "vintage" makes me feel super old... poo poo

I think trying to attach a number of years to it is arbitrary and it really ends up being people who grew up with a specific type of music, car, or whatever getting serious money to collect the things that spoke to them when they were young. 25 years is a pretty good baseline for this but I think of it more as like old hair metal dudes driving up the price on JEMs and old Ibanezes and stuff like that when they got tons of money so that stuff is now collectable and therefore it is "vintage."

It's not totally my expertise so I may be off here but I think this is starting to happen with offsets with the people who were into grunge, alternative, and shoegaze in the 90s.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I think if you have an LP Studio that is from the 90s and has 15 years of gigging scars it definitely qualifies. I also want pictures because it sounds cool as gently caress.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I always think of vintage as a demarcation of guitars so old you wouldn’t want to play them anyway and they’re for lawyers and day traders to keep as diversified securities. Therefor 90s Jaguars aren’t vintage because ever since someone brought Jaguars up in another thread I wanna play one real bad.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

TheMightyBoops posted:

I always think of vintage as a demarcation of guitars so old you wouldn’t want to play them anyway and they’re for lawyers and day traders to keep as diversified securities. Therefor 90s Jaguars aren’t vintage because ever since someone brought Jaguars up in another thread I wanna play one real bad.

yeah I kind of want an offset also but I looked at prices recently and went "what the gently caress?"

if a guitar needs a refret but you're afraid to do it for value reasons it's vintage

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Gramps posted:

it was my dads from new, then he gave it to me when i was 16, and i'm 37 now so don't worry it makes me feel super old too lol.

Southern Cassowary posted:

I think if you have an LP Studio that is from the 90s and has 15 years of gigging scars it definitely qualifies. I also want pictures because it sounds cool as gently caress.

this thread is technically the wrong place for my baby because it's definately not stupid but here you go!

as you can tell, it has been thoroughly rocked upon. it's been sitting in its case for about a year and a half though so the hardware and fretboard could do with a good clean. absolute beast of a guitar though, never let me down over the years and took an absolute beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Yeah so many vintage guitars are in bad shape, especially when you go 70’s and back. I have a ‘67 ES330 that my dad or uncle bought new, and it’s got dented frets, missing a few inlays, neck pickup was replaced with some 70’s Dimarzio SD, one fhole is damaged from when Vicky Sue Robinson’s cat got its paw stuck inside (lol). It plays fine enough, but you could 100% get a better guitar for like 1/10th of the cost of this guy.

And if you’re paying like $6k+ for something like this, there’s going to be such a fear of damaging it that it becomes a showpiece whether you want it to or not. Or you drop it once, realize it’s a guitar, and actually play it.