Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #22 (1943)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Some rough chuckles with Cap and Jarvis

Avengers 214

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Some rough chuckles with Cap and Jarvis

Avengers 214

drat. I was really hoping the butler was going to be a staunch leftist.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ten issues later, Captain America shrugs and watches as Kang the Conqueror detonates New York along with nine--tenths of the world's superheroes in a nuclear explosion because hey, nobody ever said life would be fair, and the best of the best will pick themselves up afterwards. He doesn't want to 'big brother' anyone.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Thanks, Jarvis. I know Hank's going to pull himself up by his boot flaps."
"Bootstraps, sir."
"I'm pretty sure it's boot flaps. See?" *Points toe out, wiggles foot*
" >sigh< Of course, sir. More Ovaltine?"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mister Terrific #1 (2011)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Darthemed posted:

Even with permission I don't think I'd ever be comfortable saying "thanks, black guy". Especially after I was told his name.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I also wouldn't introduce myself as third smartest man in the world if I didn't want people to ask about one and two. Maybe number two is the person who's smart enough not to do that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nipponophile posted:

I also wouldn't introduce myself as third smartest man in the world if I didn't want people to ask about one and two. Maybe number two is the person who's smart enough not to do that.

Considering one and two are almost certainly Reed Richards and Victor von Doom (the order is a matter of some debate), no bet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so smart they're the smartest people in the dc universe too

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The smartest person in the Marvel universe is Moon Girl.

She's just also eight, so doesn't always apply those smarts in the right direction.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

site posted:

so smart they're the smartest people in the dc universe too

Sure, let's go with that.

(Don't know the character, genuinely misread the quip style as Marvel. DC humor feels different than Marvel humor to me but that's almost entirely because my main exposures were Spider-Man and Batman, both Silver Age. Also Richards and Doom would immediately be claiming the world's smartest title when they arrived in DC, and Batman would let them)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The smartest person in the DC Universe is that goon who saw Batman in a room and just turned around and left.

The second smartest is Detective Chimp.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
All the really smart people know smarts is just a one dimensional attribute and studying is for chumps, MOM

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Darthemed posted:

This was Eric Wallace, apparently, who was himself indeed a black guy (which nobody asked but just feels important to know). Side-note, these two facts now constitute 100% of my knowledge about Eric Wallace.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seems like a real waste having smart people out there punching dudes in the face instead of figuring out safe green energy (that doesn't blow the world up reed).

At the very least they'd probably be more effective helping build equipment for 20 other superheroes instead of themselves.

This is a very old observation, but I never really got the whole thing with 'superhero is the smartest person in the world!' It's not really an occupation that needs it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Superheroes are forever solving riddles or going, "of course! If I just magnetise the exterior of the Shrike's suit, his gravity detector will be worthless!". I think for a lot of superhero sub-genres it's actually pretty fundamental!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MikeJF posted:

Seems like a real waste having smart people out there punching dudes in the face instead of figuring out safe green energy (that doesn't blow the world up reed).

At the very least they'd probably be more effective helping build equipment for 20 other superheroes instead of themselves.

This is a very old observation, but I never really got the whole thing with 'superhero is the smartest person in the world!' It's not really an occupation that needs it.

They don't trust anyone else with their technology.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*Hulk rubs chin* wait... if Hulk punch Leader hard in face, him die! It might be crazy enough to work.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It feels kinda tautological or something, where the writer invents a made up super science problem that a villain is enacting just so the hero can make up some technobabble solution to it, which will or course require some fisticuffs and energy blasts to pull off.

I appreciate early Hulk as well, where there's not so much of that, though of course Bruce Banner is some kind of genius as well.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

in dc comics this kind of thing actually does happen a lot

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I once made a tabletop character that was a super-smart gadgeteer with several lucrative contracts with the US Army and private superheroes, and she was out adventuring to test her prototypes. It struck me as an under-utilized archetype back then.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dareon posted:

Considering one and two are almost certainly Reed Richards and Victor von Doom (the order is a matter of some debate), no bet.

There's no way in hell either of those introduce themselves as "the second smartest man in the world", so my point stands.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nipponophile posted:

There's no way in hell either of those introduce themselves as "the second smartest man in the world", so my point stands.

On the other hand by calling himself third smartest Mr T is smart enough not to get involved.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Untold Legend of the Batman #2 (1980)

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Dareon posted:

I once made a tabletop character that was a super-smart gadgeteer with several lucrative contracts with the US Army and private superheroes, and she was out adventuring to test her prototypes. It struck me as an under-utilized archetype back then.

I seem to recall part of Taskmaster's deal was he mostly did supervillain stuff as an opportunity to advertise his skills for his Henchman Training School. Get some news footage of him fighting Captain America and Iron Man so when smaller guys are looking at some professional development or the Red Skull's looking at whipping his crew into shape, they know Taskmaster has real experience fighting superheroes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Precambrian posted:

I seem to recall part of Taskmaster's deal was he mostly did supervillain stuff as an opportunity to advertise his skills for his Henchman Training School. Get some news footage of him fighting Captain America and Iron Man so when smaller guys are looking at some professional development or the Red Skull's looking at whipping his crew into shape, they know Taskmaster has real experience fighting superheroes.

I hope Taskmaster charges per minute (that his students are able to last against Captain America after they passed the final exams).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Smart as in attire, not smart as in the brain.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Smart as in attire, not smart as in the brain.

Accurate

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Comrade_Bullski/status/1628172023254884356

A thread.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I'd argue that since Mr. Terrific is wise enough to not claim to be the smartest man in the world, which would be impossible to accurately test for, he is in fact smarter than at least Lex Luthor. Unless he's claimed otherwise Batman also falls into that category.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think there was a comic or TV show that featured Mr. Terrific, Batman, and Lex, and it implied by the end that Mr. Terrific was smarter than both.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange #1 (2010)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Strange #1 (2010)

Is that Strange looking like he's about to change the transmission in a Morris Minor?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Darthemed posted:

Strange #1 (2010)

I hope the resolution to this demonic pact plot involves knowing the loving difference between "insure" and "ensure."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Strange #1 (2010)

Yankees.jpeg

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Discendo Vox posted:

I hope the resolution to this demonic pact plot involves knowing the loving difference between "insure" and "ensure."

I can't tell if that bothers me more than the idea that a bunch of drunken adult dudebros would ... somehow strike a deal with the devil for the sake of moving the story along?

Like it's written like they're a bunch of teenage girls having fun with a ouija board but it's drawn like they're in a brightly lit bar just talking to an emo kid. And it's just silly.

Edit: Oh it's Mark Waid.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman: From Krypton to Metropolis (1982)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Superboy: can't you just wear a hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If an experiment can't be duplicated it doesn't even count as science.