Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Frasier is an alcoholic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The universal laws: Lilith gets what she wants, Frasier must be punished, Niles embarrasses himself, Eddie abides.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They fought a bitter court battle in which Frasier triumphed and secured total custody going to Lilith.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier did have a suicide attempt on record.

Though I really just got vibes from Frederick's appearances that Frasier does see him, it just mostly happens off-camera and Frasier manages to stick to bumbling dad levels of humiliating himself. And IIRC, the episode where they try to get Freddy into a fancy school does have Frasier and Lillith clearly make a genuine effort to effectively co-parent. (that one also has them both equally guilty of farcical shenanigans)

vvv: It's already making the assumption they ended up having a court mandated custody agreement rather than cooperating to figure out a sharing arrangement, they do seem capable of being mature when it comes to Freddy. (sometimes)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 6, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The episode where Niles winds up with Lilith makes it sort of clear that Frasier and Lilith have a mutual attraction, but they also recognize that they are not compatible as a romantic couple. They both seem vested in Frederick's upbringing and development (Lilith slightly over-the-top as a joke in some cases). On paper Lilith is a better parent, and it would explain why a court would side with her. It's unclear how big of an effort Frasier would have made for custody at the time anyway, when would that have been, some time during Cheers?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frasier did have a suicide attempt on record.

Though I really just got vibes from Frederick's appearances that Frasier does see him, it just mostly happens off-camera and Frasier manages to stick to bumbling dad levels of humiliating himself. And IIRC, the episode where they try to get Freddy into a fancy school does have Frasier and Lillith clearly make a genuine effort to effectively co-parent. (that one also has them both equally guilty of farcical shenanigans)

That's one of my favorite episodes. Kelsey Grammar and Bebe Neworth work so well together in scenes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

cooperating to figure out a sharing arrangement, they do seem capable of being mature when it comes to Freddy. (sometimes)

this is the correct take, they definitely worked it out on their own. if nothing else, they're both way too Smartest Person In The Room to let lawyers and/or a judge be the experts and dictate terms to them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

this is the correct take, they definitely worked it out on their own. if nothing else, they're both way too Smartest Person In The Room to let lawyers and/or a judge be the experts and dictate terms to them

You're not wrong.

Also remember family was the whole reason Frasier moved in the first place too, to take care of his dad. Radio career was probably part of it, I don't remember the start that well, but it's a valid reason and it makes it easier for Freddy to see his grandpa as well. And comes to mind all of a sudden, Frasier's seemingly quite oversized apartment- which has enough room to make sure there's always a guest bedroom available.

Thing is that I think the show did well with Freddy having fairly sparing screentime; having a live action show with kids as regular characters is a VERY big deal on the production end for a number of reasons, from all I hear, and having kids around does limit the kind of plots you can have characters get up to. (see also why golden age cartoon characters are often uncles or aunts but almost never parents; even before the Hays Code it's more societally acceptable for them to get up to all kinds of antics that an audience might question if they have kids to take care of) And on the flipside, it's very easy for the token kids of these shows to outstay their welcome. (Wesley anybody?) Having Freddy show up only when they have a plot that specifically involves him is a pretty sensible way to do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I recently re-watched Miracle On 3rd or 4th Street and I forgot that it's sold as a Freddy episode in the beginning but in the end it's a bottle episode featuring the bus driver from Speed.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frasier's seemingly quite oversized apartment- which has enough room to make sure there's always a guest bedroom available.

Is this true? We see in the fire alarm episode that the hallway that has bedrooms has Frasier's, Marty's and that's about it. I don't think they show the hallway around Daphne's room, but there is an episode centered around it, and it seems to be a room weirdly on its own.

Now, Niles's apartment (can you believe he rents that thing?) has rooms a-plenty for guests, which is also the focus of a few episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rappaport posted:

Is this true? We see in the fire alarm episode that the hallway that has bedrooms has Frasier's, Marty's and that's about it. I don't think they show the hallway around Daphne's room, but there is an episode centered around it, and it seems to be a room weirdly on its own.

Now, Niles's apartment (can you believe he rents that thing?) has rooms a-plenty for guests, which is also the focus of a few episodes.

I mostly remember the guest bedroom from the episode where Freddy's playing a video game in it (smartly vaguely described) and Niles give it a go and sucks at it.

The apartment design is pretty consistent after all, if unusual. I do get the feeing Frasier picked it specifically for a few reasons; it's large enough to entertain enough guests for a party (even if his attempts at such are, of course, famously disasters) and has a reasonably sized and equipped kitchen for same.

There is actually a whole arc about Niles getting that department, going through the whole divorce and all, and it's a very exclusive, heritage listed apartment he has to do a lot to qualify for. Very Niles. Though I can't blame him, the place is made up to look very cosy as well as being classy. I get weirdly Bag End vibes from it of all things.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Niles has a very small speech about how he "walked past these apartments and thought what wonderful people must live there" or somesuch, it's a Thing. Of course the Shangri-la is a contrast to that, for laughs. Niles is very much Frasier turned up to 11.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Niles is very much Frasier turned up to 11.

We need a Frinkiac for Frasier so I can quickly grab a gif of Niles looking into the camera in court about the cooky old train guy

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rappaport posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i believe there was a hat room or something equally silly that could've been a laundry room if frasier weren't such a goofball

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
When Freddie was playing ps1 I assumed he had just set it up in either Frasier or martins room

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

codo27 posted:

We need a Frinkiac for Frasier so I can quickly grab a gif of Niles looking into the camera in court about the cooky old train guy

that's a good scene

(and i made this for when i meet a rube)

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

one is definitely in the wrong place but otherwise :hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1633592514006450180

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Clicked link, didn't see Simon Moon in bottom tier, closed page

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

absolute amateur hour ranking. real frasier heads know that cam winston belongs in s-tier. lots of problem with that list but cam winston is an easy one

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Frederick wasn't great in Frasier, but his actor was pretty good on Mad Men. I hope they bring him back for the relaunch so he gets some redemption now that he's not an awkward kid.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kirby needs to be in the A tier next to his mom, bump Sherry Moon down.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Did they cast Kirby specifically because he looks like sideshow bob?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Achmed Jones posted:

absolute amateur hour ranking. real frasier heads know that cam winston belongs in s-tier.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Poppy didn't get enough screen time. I can hear her talking to Eddy now

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
How can Daphne's mom even be on a tier list that doesn't include an F tier

And her dad being S tier is just confusing.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Poppy didn't get enough screen time. I can hear her talking to Eddy now

Yeah she's a sleeper. I know she would've gotten annoying (unintentionally) if they used her too much, but her 2 appearances were fantastic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What about that whippet Niles had

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Justice for Mel dammit, I still say the show did her way dirty just so Niles and Daphne could be remotely plausible as a concept

Also Bebe and Lilith deserve S+

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cosmik Slop posted:

Justice for Mel dammit, I still say the show did her way dirty just so Niles and Daphne could be remotely plausible as a concept

Also Bebe and Lilith deserve S+
Lilith is GodTier along with Niles

Mel was loving terrible and didn't actually care for Niles as much as she viewed him as something to mold into a wonderful stepping stone for greater social heights. gently caress her.

Even the "tender moment" she gets with Daphne is just narcissistic poo poo wrapped in faux care.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I haven't seen the full arc but I'm p sure Mel was telegraphed from the start as being, basically, Maris Lite.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't seen the full arc but I'm p sure Mel was telegraphed from the start as being, basically, Maris Lite.

At least that would be a step in the right direction. It's all fanfic nonsense, I know, but I think they could have made her and Niles more interesting and more plausible than just having her immediately turn into Lady Macbeth. (I'll also admit I'm very biased because I think Jane Adams is kinda hot).

Cosmik Slop fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 9, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The dramatic heel-turns to get rid of a love interest are always hilarious.

I'm Danny Douglas, quirky lawyer with a heart of gold. I may have weird habits but I'm gonna be your best friend and help you with my expertise.

And now I'm gonna loving ruin you, I'm a big mean devil grrr, run off to your NILES you haaaarpy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weirdly enough, Frasier himself was originally meant to be a romcom false romantic lead to be ditched and forgotten about but the audience found him so entertaining they kept him around. Apparently he was based on Ralph Bellamy's characters in old movies.

That said, I also did get ideas from Danny as well that he was quirky and fun but bad news when provoked. Of course, not really the kind of character that gels properly with a show that's otherwise a lot more nuanced, especially given the points made with Niles and Maris having the breakdown of their relationship take multiple seasons and their divorce a drawn out, painful affair as you'd expect from a wealthy couple where one partner is notably vindictive and a lot of money is on the line.

I feel it's a very 90s hack writer thing; a show that otherwise breaks the trends and cliches of the day still falls back on them when the writers are backed into a corner to draw out the drama, and notably the characters introduced for such arcs never really appear or are mentioned again once their relevance is over, while Maris still remains a factor even after Niles and Daphne get together because she's a classic character, even as an offscreen one.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

The dramatic heel-turns to get rid of a love interest are always hilarious.

I'm Danny Douglas, quirky lawyer with a heart of gold. I may have weird habits but I'm gonna be your best friend and help you with my expertise.

And now I'm gonna loving ruin you, I'm a big mean devil grrr, run off to your NILES you haaaarpy

Even worse was Donny in Ring Cycle (season 10 really was the nadir, wasn’t it?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wacky Ethnic Stereotype really was a sudden and insufferable curse on 90s media.

Though maybe because I'm not American but it's still funny that American woman fall all over Daphne's drunk piece of poo poo brother just because he has a British accent.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Brawnfire posted:

He was introduced as kind of a cutthroat guy who, while occupying the ambulance chaser demo, had connections, savvy, and the willingness to go for broke.

I.e. the exact kind of guy you wouldn't want to gently caress with

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
He was also willing to immediately cool off and back down until Frasier decided to reveal that he orchestrated the destruction of his life so it's not like he was a le wacky evil guy or anything. Though his final appearance in the show is unnecessarily cruel and pathetic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

donnie and mel both got done dirty. i liked them both when they were with daphne and niles. mel was maris-lite because niles is maris-lite, too their entire thing was both being dorky clean-freak snobs that were generally well-meaning and kind, but snooty. not everything has to be opposites attracting. the best thing imo would've been if niles just got over daphne quietly like most people do with infatuations when they get in an actual normal relationship. but ah well, it's a 90s sitcom, i can't have everything

cam owns, bebe owns, cam's mom owns, poppy owns. martin being with ronnie instead of cam's mom is the greatest television injustice of all time. it's just such a massive mistake that i can't figure out how they managed to screw it up other than either the actress not wanting to do it, or somebody being lovely about interracial relationships

kirby's lame, lana's lamer, daphne's family sucks (but her mom has some funny moments so she gets a pass mostly)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I mostly like the ongoing rivalry with Cam, but I dislike the episode where Cam deliberately covers Frasier's window with the flag. Living through post-9/11 nationalism sucked enough poo poo at the time; I have no interest in revisiting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Eat poo poo Donny you're lucky you made the list at all