Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That Works posted:

I use probably 90-95% Usenet and 5-10% torrenting with all the *arrs in docker containers on an Unraid server / NAS and a separate low power PC with a newer Intel CPU as a Plex transcoder. All seems to work pretty well and I am not a very savvy computer toucher by any means.

Is this something you bought or built? I am looking to do the same thing and am so far removed from the DIY computer build days that I don't even know what to start. I've already got the NAS, now I just need some new compute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Sirotan posted:

Is this something you bought or built? I am looking to do the same thing and am so far removed from the DIY computer build days that I don't even know what to start. I've already got the NAS, now I just need some new compute.

I recently picked up a Beelink with an n5105 for this and it works well. Transcoding can be a bit rough for audio. I do have a small regret around not picking up a mini PC with a bit beefier of a CPU/AV1 support but it hasn't been an issue for me so far. Running Gentoo on it as a fun little project.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm going to ask a dumb question that probably be in another thread and that I should know the answer to already, but I'm old and dumb. How do VPN's work with (relatively) high-bandwidth transfers, like torrents and Linux ISOs from usenet? I've been using usenet very occasionally without one and haven't had any problems, but with torrents I've definitely gotten unhappy letters from my ISP, presumably because they hate Linux.

I tried to use a VPN years ago and it slowed everything to a crawl and I decided that it probably wasn't worth the hassle for the amount of stuff I was downloading at the time. Now marketing tells me I should be using a VPN at all times and I don't know if that's true or just them wanting to sell me things. I'm sure I should have one for usenet/torrents but I do not know where to even start cutting through the bullshit to figure out what I actually need.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

You can set a delay under the profiles. "Prefer Usenet" with a 120 minute delay to BT is what I use.

Wow, I never noticed that setting. Thank you!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Matt Zerella posted:

You can set a delay under the profiles. "Prefer Usenet" with a 120 minute delay to BT is what I use.

Yup I put a 24 hour delay on Torrents for all TV as it's coming from a private source that needs seeding, and then for some shows that I get regularly but don't really care about (late night etc) I have a no-BT clause in place.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sirotan posted:

HP S01 mini PC is what i used and I got a cheap refurbished one off of eBay for it. After that, I just put Ubuntu server on it set it up for auto updates and installed the Plex server Linux client. In the Plex GUI, you can point the library to the Nas folder.

Basically, you just want a fairly low power PC that has a new-ish Intel processor, so that it can transcode from the Plex server itself if you wish, which I found to be preferable given the array of different streaming devices I had, and that some of them were not great at transcoding themselves.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cool Dad posted:

I'm going to ask a dumb question that probably be in another thread and that I should know the answer to already, but I'm old and dumb. How do VPN's work with (relatively) high-bandwidth transfers, like torrents and Linux ISOs from usenet? I've been using usenet very occasionally without one and haven't had any problems, but with torrents I've definitely gotten unhappy letters from my ISP, presumably because they hate Linux.

I tried to use a VPN years ago and it slowed everything to a crawl and I decided that it probably wasn't worth the hassle for the amount of stuff I was downloading at the time. Now marketing tells me I should be using a VPN at all times and I don't know if that's true or just them wanting to sell me things. I'm sure I should have one for usenet/torrents but I do not know where to even start cutting through the bullshit to figure out what I actually need.

I don't have any issues with throughput on whatever discounted NordVPN package I bought when Lowtax was shilling it, latency can be hit and miss depending on where you're connecting to though. I'm also using Starlink which should be way less reliable on both throughput and latency compared to your traditional ASDL/fibre connection.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I use private internet access for my vpn and it handles Usenet and torrenting fine.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That Works posted:

HP S01 mini PC is what i used and I got a cheap refurbished one off of eBay for it. After that, I just put Ubuntu server on it set it up for auto updates and installed the Plex server Linux client. In the Plex GUI, you can point the library to the Nas folder.

Basically, you just want a fairly low power PC that has a new-ish Intel processor, so that it can transcode from the Plex server itself if you wish, which I found to be preferable given the array of different streaming devices I had, and that some of them were not great at transcoding themselves.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
If I already have nzbgeek is there a recommended indexer to complement it?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Cool Dad posted:

speed really depends on the location and provider, i use privado because it came with my usenet subscription and got over 200Mb using the nearest city, for ultimate rear end covering you'll probably want to download from sweden which will slow things down

also don't just run a vpn on your desktop since that will tunnel all your legit traffic, use a vm or docker-transmission-openvpn to only vpn your torrent traffic

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Tremors posted:

If I already have nzbgeek is there a recommended indexer to complement it?

I use Drunkenslug along with NZBgeek and I seem to be able to get everything I need. Slug is a little bit nicer if you are actually using the website to search. It appears to me that NZBgeek does better when I want something not 4K in HEVC encoding.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Burden posted:

I use Drunkenslug along with NZBgeek and I seem to be able to get everything I need. Slug is a little bit nicer if you are actually using the website to search. It appears to me that NZBgeek does better when I want something not 4K in HEVC encoding.

I only had nzbgeek and 1-2 other free trackers and it was OK. Once I got geek and drunkenslug its been a bit better and Ill keep using both from here on.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Burden posted:

Gotcha. I'll have to keep an eye out for next time they're open. Thanks!

I'm good!

Tremors fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 7, 2023

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nzbs.in accused me of account sharing and banned me from using APIs despite the fact I donate $20 a year so they can eat my whole rear end.

Haven't touched my settings since .org went under and they gave me an invite. I'll pay drunkenslug instead.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah +1'ing Geek/Slug as my most used indexers, though also the only 2 I pay for. I'll see something come up under the free account at Tabula Rasa every once in a while, but 99% of my ISOs come from those first 2.

Tremors posted:

Gotcha. I'll have to keep an eye out for next time they're open. Thanks!

If you have a Reddit account you can also lurk r/usenetinvites and try to snipe an invite.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Laserface posted:

Nzbs.in accused me of account sharing and banned me from using APIs despite the fact I donate $20 a year so they can eat my whole rear end.

Haven't touched my settings since .org went under and they gave me an invite. I'll pay drunkenslug instead.

That could mean you're exposing your Sonarr/Radarr/etc services more widely than you think and someone came by stealing your API key. I really doubt an indexer would for no reason ban a person that's paying them every year, that's a loss for both sides. If I were you I'd verify that my server and services are properly secured.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Keito posted:

That could mean you're exposing your Sonarr/Radarr/etc services more widely than you think and someone came by stealing your API key. I really doubt an indexer would for no reason ban a person that's paying them every year, that's a loss for both sides. If I were you I'd verify that my server and services are properly secured.

I was probed for account sharing because I had been sharing an account for a decade and then policy changed. Completely slipped my mind that's what was happening. It was my old roommate that I'm still great friends with and we never shared our account... Whoops.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Keito posted:

I thought it was this, so explained myself and they STILL told me to get hosed. It was open for a day while a friend checked out my config, under explicit instruction to not copy my indexers as he was using torrents.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Someone managed to jack my key for an indexer a few years ago and the admins just emailed me to say it looked like I’d been account sharing but they were resetting my key just in case it was an accident and giving me the benefit of the doubt.

I’m still not sure what part of my setup was exposed but you can bet your rear end I went through and turned on all the security options I could just in case.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Omg and nzb works well for me. Nzb is extremely paranoid about multiple ip’s accessing the api. Omg seems fine with it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is there a big benefit to paying for two indexers?

I need to get linux distros as fast as possible- my main provider is nzb.su (which is loving awesome imo but never gets a shout in this thread) but I have also considered paying for slug.

Would .su and slug combined be worth the money? What indexers are best, stacked? In my day to day I can only rarely find something on slug but NOT on .su, but it does happen once in a while, and vice versa.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Pretty much the only times I've noticed any difference between the various indexers is when I'm searching for something esoteric. So I keep around 2-4 subs active but I doubt I'd notice any differences if I wasn't looking rarities.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

hard to say because it's really going to come down to the specific things you're looking for and the indexers you're comparing, and I think you just kinda have to do a cross comparison with some items that you're missing. a bunch of indexers have pretty much the same stuff and there's no reason to have both, but if you can find two that have a lot of different stuff that's probably the sweet spot

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The main reason to have accounts on lots of indexers is in case they vanish. I've got like half a dozen plus I'm running a VM that still does spotweb. Spotweb picks up a lot of stuff I don't find on other indexers. Based on the comments it seems like it's popular in the Netherlands. I only keep a paid account on one or two indexers and just use the free accounts on most of them as long as they're not too limited.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I pay for Geek and Slug, along with several other free accounts. About the only other indexer I ever see returning results with a free account is Tabula Rasa.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Taima posted:

Would .su and slug combined be worth the money? What indexers are best, stacked? In my day to day I can only rarely find something on slug but NOT on .su, but it does happen once in a while, and vice versa.

This is my combo, I've generally found that drunkenslug performs way better with less failures.

Looking in hydra; DS gets about 20% more downloads despite being weighted higher than .su

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Taima posted:

Is there a big benefit to paying for two indexers?

I download a fair bit of non english content and I found that there's some variance between whats available there between different indexers. Here are the stats for my *arr stack to give some indication:

The ones with the names removed are the ones that ask you not to discuss them openly, long name is the top spot for me with the short name being second.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Wow that is a super interesting graph and I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I gotta get Geek going sometime, it keeps coming up.

Usenet is such a cool tool and has a great community that reminds me of the early internet. Kinda like SA actually. It's such a blessing to be able to avoid all the seeder/leecher/p2p bittorrent scene shenanigans.

Just grab what you need (automatically or manually) get the max download speed, move on with your fuckin day. Absolutely zero BS most of the time. Hell yeah. There aren't enough aspects of modern life that are so purely oriented towards a single, no-nonsense goal.

That being said, I would guess bittorrent is impossible to avoid if your tastes run on the esoteric side. As a dumb normie, though, Usenet has me covered 100%.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 12, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's been a while since I've used usenet (Blocknews) but if I'm getting download failures on every NZB i download (nzb.su and nzbfinder.ws) is it just DMCA takedowns I'm running into? Like even postings that are six days old aren't completing which seems strange.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

6 days is a long time in the world of takedowns, but *every* file you’re grabbing? Screams something else. What does the client spit out as being the issue?

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

Laserface posted:

Were you using NZBGet with default user/pass ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/10ffv40/vulnerability_discovered_in_nzbget/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was not.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People kept mentioning Tailscale in that reddit link and by futzing around with it while idle at work I just got it so I can access my various 'arrs remotely with their direct local IP:port :getin: If this keeps me from having to build an SSH tunnel to VNC back through every time I want to add something then I'm all for it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

People kept mentioning Tailscale in that reddit link and by futzing around with it while idle at work I just got it so I can access my various 'arrs remotely with their direct local IP:port :getin: If this keeps me from having to build an SSH tunnel to VNC back through every time I want to add something then I'm all for it.

You do you but spending the time to setup a VPN on your home system is the way to go. Im running openVPN and my phone is basically always connected to it so no matter where I am I am always "on my lan". Makes everything else so much easier.

For the VPN question above- I've been doing usenet poo poo for nearly 20 years and have never used a VPN because the connection from me to the provider is over SSL already. The only thing my ISP can tell is that I'm using Usenet(if they ever really cared to dig into my traffic) but they can't tell what I'm transferring. I've never had a single issue with it.

Torrents are obviously a different story because you are advertising to the rest of the internet what you are downloading.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

You do you but spending the time to setup a VPN on your home system is the way to go. Im running openVPN and my phone is basically always connected to it so no matter where I am I am always "on my lan". Makes everything else so much easier.

For the VPN question above- I've been doing usenet poo poo for nearly 20 years and have never used a VPN because the connection from me to the provider is over SSL already. The only thing my ISP can tell is that I'm using Usenet(if they ever really cared to dig into my traffic) but they can't tell what I'm transferring. I've never had a single issue with it.

Torrents are obviously a different story because you are advertising to the rest of the internet what you are downloading.

My understanding (which may well be incomplete) is that Tailscale is basically a web UI for a Wireguard VPN that auto-networks between anything you install the client onto, so anything running the client is "on your LAN". This was about reaching the various web UIs for *arrs, SABnzbd etc, agreed that the Usenet connection itself is already encrypted so no worries there. And yeah I don't touch torrents anymore outside of a dedicated Transmission box that has an OpenVPN/firewall setup that blocks all non-tunneled traffic.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Takes No Damage posted:

My understanding (which may well be incomplete) is that Tailscale is basically a web UI for a Wireguard VPN that auto-networks between anything you install the client onto, so anything running the client is "on your LAN". This was about reaching the various web UIs for *arrs, SABnzbd etc, agreed that the Usenet connection itself is already encrypted so no worries there. And yeah I don't touch torrents anymore outside of a dedicated Transmission box that has an OpenVPN/firewall setup that blocks all non-tunneled traffic.

Tailscale uses the WireGuard protocol to build a mesh network between your devices. They do have a pretty nice web UI as well.

I used to connect my devices via a manually managed and maintained WireGuard setup, later with a bit of Ansible automation since it was getting unwieldy as the number of clients grew. Moved to Tailscale a year ago and have been extremely happy with it. I'm using the regular clients with a self-hosted instance of the headscale control server (which for now lacks a web UI).

Recently the Tailscale iOS client too got support for custom servers, so now I've got all my devices hooked up to it. Then there's cool stuff like the ACL support which lets you limit which nodes get to access what ports on a specified set of systems, which is not very easy if you're rolling a VPN network manually.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Keito posted:

Tailscale uses the WireGuard protocol to build a mesh network between your devices. They do have a pretty nice web UI as well.

I used to connect my devices via a manually managed and maintained WireGuard setup, later with a bit of Ansible automation since it was getting unwieldy as the number of clients grew. Moved to Tailscale a year ago and have been extremely happy with it. I'm using the regular clients with a self-hosted instance of the headscale control server (which for now lacks a web UI).

Recently the Tailscale iOS client too got support for custom servers, so now I've got all my devices hooked up to it. Then there's cool stuff like the ACL support which lets you limit which nodes get to access what ports on a specified set of systems, which is not very easy if you're rolling a VPN network manually.

So I thought I "got" setting up tailscale but I am having some dumb brain problem getting my head around it.

I am not sure if it does what I want it to do or not, or if I am just misreading something.

Basically what I tried was this:

I have an OPNSense Router running as exit node and this shows up in the tailscale webUI as such and gives it an IP. I then have tailscale (non exit node) on my iPhone and my laptop and they connect to tailscale and show up in the webUI as connected etc. Internet still works but when I try to go to my router IP (192.168.x.x) I don't get a connection and when I try to go to the other IP given for the exit node in the tailscale webUI it wont connect either. So, I am "connected" to tailscale according to the app on the device, and according to the webUI, but I am not connecting to my own router...

Should I just run my UnraidNAS as the exit node instead (this is usually really what I would want to remote access) or something else? I've spent a bit of time googling around, reinstalling etc just kind of cant get things to connect.

What I ultimately want to do is:

Login to Tailscale (or something else), be practically on my home network, using its Unbound DNS adblocking etc, connecting to network storage there, when I want to.

Any hints?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

If you have a ubiquity router their teleport VPN has been stupid easy and convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tremors posted:

If you have a ubiquity router their teleport VPN has been stupid easy and convenient.

Nah have a diy opnsense one for now.