Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just remembered they both have ridiculous kermit the frog voices lolol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ghosthorse posted:

speaking of a friend sent me this:
https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1631461343814377472?s=46&t=412mHfBtNaNoiY_Z498b9g

when that’s the only guy who’ll have dinner with you you must know you’re an rear end in a top hat

POV : when your sister just came out as trans to your two dads

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Juul-Whip posted:

just remembered they both have ridiculous kermit the frog voices lolol

no rex murphy is a chicken have you never seen his wings

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/opinion/status/1632490516351680513

more women are dying in childbirth but at least we're not as bad as americans

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it cuts down on MAiD costs

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Virtual Russian posted:

This is the most officer-brained thought ever imo. Please don't tell me you were one of those "the queen's dime" guys. Nothing made me want to frivolously waste funds more than people telling me I was wasting "the queen's money" or that waste was an "insult to the queen". Turning up the heater (not that it ever worked) in the LSVW wastes the queen's money? Turn it up all the way!

:(

No comment. She paid good money for those licence built Italian trucks…

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

:(

No comment. She paid good money for those licence built Italian trucks…

I do honestly love that horrible little truck. I light up every time I see one. They should keep them in service until the end of time, always adding more weight to it and never more engine power.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My fondest memories of my service are in that vehicle climbing a mild incline doing like 50 with the pedal to the metal and the engine going somewhere around 4000 rpms. I would always do a scotty impression. Equally fun was then getting it up over 80 coming down the other side of a hill and feeling like the whole thing was about to shake apart.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’ve never had to physically put the pedal to the metal in anything else, and in the Iveco it was to get up to 80 on a downhill onramp. Still thought I was going to die.

e: Exactly lol special memories

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I’ve never had to physically put the pedal to the metal in anything else, and in the Iveco it was to get up to 80 on a downhill onramp. Still thought I was going to die.

e: Exactly lol special memories

Wow, that would be something to see.

The signals LSVW is a lot heavier than the canvas backed one too, but has no extra power. That poor little 4 cylinder just isn't up to the job, turbocharged or not.

I only had good experiences with it off road though, I could always get myself out of mud or snow with ease when I got stuck. I even got to ford a small river in NB, that was fun, not deep at all but still cool. We probably weren't supposed to do that, environmental impact and all, but it was fun.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Apparently, the trucks can be up-armored. Can't imagine the dog poo poo performance when you add even more weight.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
This may be out of left field but someone accused me of "remembering Stephen Harper wrong" when I said I thought he sucked as bad as Trudeau. Am I wrong? Am I remembering wrong? I'm willing to accept that "Stephen Harper sucks" was just a meme I bought into but it's so hard to remember things from last year let alone 2015 that maybe I just bought into misinfo.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

delightful posted:

This may be out of left field but someone accused me of "remembering Stephen Harper wrong" when I said I thought he sucked as bad as Trudeau. Am I wrong? Am I remembering wrong? I'm willing to accept that "Stephen Harper sucks" was just a meme I bought into but it's so hard to remember things from last year let alone 2015 that maybe I just bought into misinfo.

what do you think?

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

delightful posted:

Both had the NDP blunting their worst. Other than Trudeau honestly seeming to care for minorities and LGTBQ+, they are indistinguishable. (I’ll still take it.)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

delightful posted:

On a purely economic front yes I'd agree with you, but you just know Harper would be pushing through a trans bill, drag ban, and/or done something to abortion by now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Crow Buddy posted:

Both had the NDP blunting their worst. Other than Trudeau honestly seeming to care for minorities and LGTBQ+, they are indistinguishable. (I’ll still take it.)

harper also funded programs opposing women's reproductive health overseas, so there's that

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

delightful posted:

Trudeau may not be perfect but he has never suggested a barbaric cultural practices government snitch line

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Stephen Harper ate babies

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and he had lego minifig hair

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

supersnowman posted:

Apparently, the trucks can be up-armored. Can't imagine the dog poo poo performance when you add even more weight.

Pass.

CanuckCanuckCanuck
Mar 4, 2023

CanuckCanuckCanuck has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Oct 11, 2023

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

RealityWarCriminal posted:

https://twitter.com/opinion/status/1632490516351680513

more women are dying in childbirth but at least we're not as bad as americans

Cool now show me the one broken down by skin colour

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Cool now show me the one broken down by skin colour

https://www.propublica.org/series/lost-mothers

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Trudeau may not be perfect but he has never suggested a barbaric cultural practices government snitch line

Only because Legault didn't make one yet

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

COPE 27 posted:

Only because Legault didn't make one yet

:hmmyes:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Harper burned books and slashed research funding but he also made scholarship income non-taxable, so who's to say.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Harper has infinitely more awful deeds to his legacy, but as with all conservatives he did his awful things with either direct Liberal support and approval, or implicit support stemming from Liberal indifference, non-resistance and their unwillingness to scale back the reactionary political project.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

harper also funded programs opposing women's reproductive health overseas, so there's that
after the gfc crashed the economy he went on a euro tour and encouraged everyone to implement Austerity

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

infernal machines posted:

Was this around the time the Cons introduced the TFW program? If so, man knew how to plan ahead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

around, but frankly i don't have a solid notion of the timeline to say which came first

either way though

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

He also privatized a bunch of Veterans Affairs while renaming military units back to “Royal” which somehow made him pro military.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Harper was the last smart evil conservative leader.

Now they're all dumb and evil.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

apatheticman posted:

Harper was the last smart evil conservative leader.

Now they're all dumb and evil.

It kind of speaks to his ability to control his caucus too. He managed to tamp down all the worst instincts of people like Jason Kenney, only when Harper moved on did the likes of Kenney really worm their way to the front.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he shut down the abortion debate and re-litigating the legalization of gay marriage because he rightly viewed them as unpopular outside his base.

no one since has been smart enough or capable enough to keep their mouths shut and their people in line when it comes to things like that and it's very probably why they haven't formed a government since.

at some point trudeau will gently caress up badly enough or pass the torch to someone like freeland, we'll get another PC government, and all that poo poo will come roiling to the surface immediately

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

There's a car on my street with a faded MISS ME YET? bumper sticker with Harper's face on it and I laugh every time because no one has ever missed him for a second.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the conservative movement has changed a lot since then. if Steve was around in politics today he'd be a lunatic, he'd have to be to get anywhere.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

delightful posted:

In comparison to how awful all the various conservatives and republicans have been since him, Harper seems pretty mild tbh. "Oh no he cut funding for studying fish in lakes" is kind of a nothingburger compared your average Trump anything. Some of the worst things he implemented was mandatory minimums and those were kiboshed by the courts, and he wasn't able to get pipelines built as Trudeau put an end to the Northern Gateway Pipeline immediately.

Harper was so concerned about the long term project of building a Conservative apparatus that could unseat the Liberals as the "natural governing party" that he didn't try to push for any of the truly awful things that his backbenchers and supporters would have wanted.

I don't think there's any argument that Trudeau was worse than Harper tho.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Trudeau is more insidious in that people still think he's a good guy and on their side

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

People have studied this more in the States but I wouldn’t be shocked if there’s been regional and class separation within the Conservative coalition. Finance, extraction, industry, the Maritimes, Ontario, the West, these are all pretty different even if they’re on the same “side” of capital accumulation.

The Truckers seem to hint at that fraying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Virtual Russian posted:

It kind of speaks to his ability to control his caucus too. He managed to tamp down all the worst instincts of people like Jason Kenney, only when Harper moved on did the likes of Kenney really worm their way to the front.

Harper very much made Jason Kenney's career, not sure how promoting the guy repeatedly to increasingly senior cabinet positions was tamping him down. Harper had message discipline sure (in a bygone era where that was still possible) but there was no daylight between his real agenda and what the Jason Kenney's in his caucus wanted to get up.