Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How is Race for the Galaxy for iOS? I'm only like 14 years too late to get on the bandwagon. (I actually started playing Roll a couple of years ago, but just started Race recently.)

I have the free desktop version but it's not convenient to sit and play at my desk a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s perfect.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So excited to try these out :c00lbert:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

Before I backed the two phrases I heard to describe the game were "tactical intrigue" and "a party game for board game nerds". I know there are games like FCM where you can lose on the first turn. Given how this game has so little randomization, I'm curious how much it's "you can be eliminated early because it's a cutthroat tactical game" and how much it's "you can be eliminated early because it's an experience generator."

Ah a bit of column A and bit of column B, sometimes people will blow up your game without knowing its you, just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Other times people will huck loaded antimatter into your escape pod as it launches.

I should say its very hard to be eliminated, you can just get in a state where its hard to do anything. Like I had my main character and bonus character both down, I must accept some responsibility for that as I did throw a firebomb at my bonus character, so I was trying to find someone, anyone who could get them back on thier feet.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 6, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Aramoro posted:

I do like that surviving is not needed for a victory. The Legal character gets points if no one gets of the station or if everyone who does escape has signed an NDA.

That is pretty interesting, I like that idea.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

GreenBuckanneer posted:

word, I just got my shipping notification on Gate/s based on the rec itt

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m glad buckaneer read past my snark re: them wanting solo games to be easier and actually purchased and enjoyed the game I recommended. I am now invulnerable in regard to accusations of gate keeping.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MizuZero posted:

I’m glad buckaneer read past my snark re: them wanting solo games to be easier and actually purchased and enjoyed the game I recommended. I am now invulnerable in regard to accusations of gate keeping.

Gate was actually the perfect level of difficulty that I want out of a game. It's not terribly "hard" (on normal mode anyways) but it's relatively fair with only a little bit of randomization due to the card amounts being low. When you lose, it doesn't feel like the game/manual is loving you, which means I'm more likely to want to jump right back in and play again, which is what happened with Gate.

after a few games this is both good and bad, because eventually you'll get so used to what the cards are/do that the progression is no longer a surprise, and then it's merely fighting the mechanics and not fighting the "game".

Anyways I'm digressing, I liked Gate so much I had to gobble up all the rest of the ones I could afford. Iron Helm is probably next month's budget, and whenever Dustrunner comes out (I prefer scifi to fantasy 9 times out of ten).

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Admiralty Flag posted:

Did you get L3 out in Canal? That's always been key to scoring high with pottery in my limited experience. Hard to deliver considering the two beer though.

Nope! I was largely driven by a shitload of income from iron and coal.

To be fair, it was a relatively low scoring round for our group, so I'm not sure if I'd've won with it if everyone had scored high.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Been playing a bunch of Gorechosen in the last couple of weeks and... Games Workshop made a boardgame with four characters that feel fairly balanced? And you can learn how to play it in ten minutes?! And it takes maybe half an hour to play a round?!?!

So of course they discontinued it almost immediately. Because there would be no reason to buy more miniatures for this game.

There's a lot of randomness to this game, at least using the default rules. Normally you get dealt a random hand of cards, but there's an optional variant to draft instead that I think is probably a good idea. Then there's the dice rolling, and the base game has absolutely zero mitigation for unlucky rolls no matter how good your strategy was (see also: literally every single Games Workshop game except maybe Talisman because you get fate points in that). Trying to think of house rules to improve this. Maybe up the hand size to six and allow throwing away cards for a re-roll or a +1 or something.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I got Talisman digital super cheap and I still regret it.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

iron helm is really good, did you get that?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

d100 dungeon + worldbuilder expansion is one of the best solo games out there

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

jarofpiss posted:

iron helm is really good, did you get that?

That's next month's budget... smh...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Had some friends over, got a game of Parks (oh, sorry, PARKS) and Welcome to the Moon in, had good times. A couple people at the table really enjoyed Parks, and wanted to pick it up next time they get the chance. And the game gets surprisingly tactical with five people vs the chill experience that is two. You can also really introduce some rear end in a top hat moves like constantly reserving parks and sniping the only park that certain people can afford.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

That's next month's budget... smh...

Yah, the game + expansions + player mats is close to $200 before shipping :2monocle:

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Had some friends over, got a game of Parks (oh, sorry, PARKS) and Welcome to the Moon in, had good times. A couple people at the table really enjoyed Parks, and wanted to pick it up next time they get the chance. And the game gets surprisingly tactical with five people vs the chill experience that is two. You can also really introduce some rear end in a top hat moves like constantly reserving parks and sniping the only park that certain people can afford.

What we figured out after a couple games of parks is that racing down the track was much less advantageous than trying to be the last player with 2 hikers on the trail. If you manage to plod slow enough, everyone will be off the trail and you can just boop your slower hiker to each spot on the trial while everyone else watches from the sidelines. The benefits from being first to the spots at the end of the trail are meh and all the cards are so samey that there’s not much of a benefit to racing.

If you spring this move on the first year you will get some looks once everyone realizes what you did, but then everyone will follow suit in the following rounds, and the degenerate jockeying for last position is much more interesting than racing.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Before I backed the two phrases I heard to describe the game were "tactical intrigue" and "a party game for board game nerds". I know there are games like FCM where you can lose on the first turn. Given how this game has so little randomization, I'm curious how much it's "you can be eliminated early because it's a cutthroat tactical game" and how much it's "you can be eliminated early because it's an experience generator."

I think one of the clever things that separates Stationfall from other Experience Games is that you have a primary character, but also a backup character, and you can influence the unclaimed characters (which are most of the characters), so there are often levers you can pull even if "you" are screwed.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yah, the game + expansions + player mats is close to $200 before shipping :2monocle:

Enjoy!

I will say that I posted itt that I wasn't buying any games for a while back in uhhhhhh January and I haven't despite the in-thread naysayers! Suck on that egg!

I want to buy Blood on the Clock tower so bad

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Enjoy!

I will say that I posted itt that I wasn't buying any games for a while back in uhhhhhh January and I haven't despite the in-thread naysayers! Suck on that egg!

I want to buy Blood on the Clock tower so bad

I folded and finally bought the Kilforth games I was missing, otherwise hadn't spent more than a dollar or two on kickstarter at least. This was an exception that turned into a "oh no I have to have these now"

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

lol god drat i didn't realize that. i have all the stuff but i bought it over time. it's a cool game and the art is fantastic but idk i'd probably rather have frosthaven or something

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jarofpiss posted:

lol god drat i didn't realize that. i have all the stuff but i bought it over time. it's a cool game and the art is fantastic but idk i'd probably rather have frosthaven or something

I absolutely don't have the space for frosthaven and now that there's a video game for gloomhaven I'm less interested in getting the physical edition

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I absolutely don't have the space for frosthaven and now that there's a video game for gloomhaven I'm less interested in getting the physical edition

i'm just saying the art is sick and the game is great but idk how much depth there is for $200. i probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger for everything at once at that price.

don't get me wrong i fully support spending too much money on things that you are gonna have fun with, but idk if there are $200 worth of hours in that game.

d100 dungeon scratches the same itch for me and i have the game crafter box for it and it's great. you have to wipe off all the soot off the pieces and that kind of sucks.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i could pull it all out if you want to see what it all looks like before you pick it all up

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i'm digging through the archives looking for something that's going to capture my interest and i have a copy of sword & sorcery that i've never played because i don't care for the art style. is this game fun? i bought it years back when i was first getting into dungeon crawlers but i've never actually played it.

similarly: tainted grail? i've played a single session of this and it didn't really grab me even though i have the entire stupid kickstarter thing.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I got Talisman digital super cheap and I still regret it.

Played it once with some of my work buddies. All expansions enabled, and I mean ALL, 8 or so people. I think it went on for about 6 hours before I called it quits, don't know how long they continued after that. No one got anywhere in those 6 hours

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Talisman digital is a guilty pleasure of mine. Being able to speed through the bot turns is a godsend. Don't think I'd ever play it with actual people though because it's still not a good game. Even digital, don't play at max players, nor with more than like 2 expansions tops. Playing with them all is insanity.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Yeah, everyone involved knew going in this is going to be absolutely stupid. Also we were drunk. Don't do this to yourself unless you know what you're doing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bodanarko posted:

What we figured out after a couple games of parks is that racing down the track was much less advantageous than trying to be the last player with 2 hikers on the trail. If you manage to plod slow enough, everyone will be off the trail and you can just boop your slower hiker to each spot on the trial while everyone else watches from the sidelines. The benefits from being first to the spots at the end of the trail are meh and all the cards are so samey that there’s not much of a benefit to racing.

If you spring this move on the first year you will get some looks once everyone realizes what you did, but then everyone will follow suit in the following rounds, and the degenerate jockeying for last position is much more interesting than racing.

That sounds like the game solves as base game Tokaido, which is one of the most boring experiences I've ever had.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jedit posted:

That sounds like the game solves as base game Tokaido, which is one of the most boring experiences I've ever had.

I was gonna reply to OP, but I'll reply to you because you kinda pre-empted my point:

No. This really isn't the case! I won the last 3 games of PARKS I played, and I definitely didn't sandbag for last place, in fact usually I wasn't the last player. Obviously taking more turns can be great, but if you have a really solid strategy, that actually beats out 'hoping your victory lap goes well'. Now, that's not to say it's always a bad idea, just that it isn't the optimal play, or 'solved' at all. Which I think is cool!

It's funny, me and my wife have different preferences for games. Like, I love Dune and Dune Imperium, and she loves PARKS and Terraforming Mars. But we both seem to win at the other's favourites more than our own. I came to PARKS not really expecting to love it as a game, but was always going to enjoy the experience because it's just SO well produced and lovely to behold. But actually, the more I've played it, the better I think it actually is as a game. I kinda love any game where a meta develops and then is countered with a different meta, y'know? I always like games where you're playing against the players more than against the game. (Hence Dune being #1).

Other thing though:
I think it's been 6 months since I last asked; Anyone know of any good new asymmetric games, ideally where you get level ups? Preferably stuff like Spirit Island, Gloomhaven, Rune Wars, etc, (Root!) where the level ups are asymmetric, although stuff like Kemet where you build your own asymmetry is also welcome! Someone suggested Anhk last time, and I still haven't had a chance to play it because I bought the new version of Kemet and so any time we would have played Ankh, we just played that instead. But I will endeavour to try!

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

!Klams posted:

Other thing though:
I think it's been 6 months since I last asked; Anyone know of any good new asymmetric games, ideally where you get level ups? Preferably stuff like Spirit Island, Gloomhaven, Rune Wars, etc, (Root!) where the level ups are asymmetric, although stuff like Kemet where you build your own asymmetry is also welcome! Someone suggested Anhk last time, and I still haven't had a chance to play it because I bought the new version of Kemet and so any time we would have played Ankh, we just played that instead. But I will endeavour to try!

The Leaders expansion for Lost Ruins of Arnak adds six very different player factions to choose from. You'd probably like it if you enjoyed Dune Imperium.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Crashbee posted:

The Leaders expansion for Lost Ruins of Arnak adds six very different player factions to choose from. You'd probably like it if you enjoyed Dune Imperium.

I think that game looks really good, but I was kind of wary because 3 different people have told me to avoid it. I have no idea if they're right, but ... the nature of me being told was... odd.

The first one was just my friend, who basically just didn't get on with it, and he said he thought that it's just a worse Dune Imperium with less agency. Fair enough, I don't always agree with his reviews but that sounded sensible enough.

The second one, some dude just came up and said hi while I was playing Necromunda. I thought, oh that's cool, yeah, I vaguely remember you, how's it going? And how it was going was that they didn't like Arnak. They just really didn't like it one bit, and they went on a long spiel about it. I thought, "Oh well, that gels with what my friend was saying (who I was playing Necromunda with at the time), I guess these guys played it together" So I asked him, but, no. He had no idea who that was. So I mean that was a bit weird that he'd come over with the explicit intent to tell 'me', his 3rd round magic the gathering pre-release opponent to steer clear of Arnak.

And then, like ten minutes later, another guy, who I definitely don't know, came over from the opposite side of the room to the first guy, came to tell me, specifically, basically the same thing. I mean I'm happy to chat to people at my flgs off the cuff, but it was just really odd to get singled out, twice, for the same unsolicited review?

I'm wondering if like maybe I've got an Arnak face? Or maybe I'm like 'The Chosen One' Arnak player, and if I ever play it it will bring imbalance to the force or some poo poo. Like, what?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I played half a game of Arnak when it came out and felt that I'd already seen everything it had to offer. CGE seem to have a lot of games with zero depth of late.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

a lot of games with zero depth of late.

This is my impression of most new stuff I've played lately. I'm a broken record but it's been a long time since I played something with as much drama and fun and screaming at my opponents as I did with Off the Rails.

Christ, we even played some Dune last week that was loads of fun and ended turn 2 just because of some terrible luck and bizarre plays. Then we did Saboteur and as goofy as that game was we all still were having a great time.

Most games do not deserve the time commitment they ask, especially the MWEs that take an hour to set up and explain and then another 2.5hrs of dreary action selection and Track Go Up. But don't worry! Tons of replayability because... your contracts can be different every time.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 7, 2023

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’m really hyped for Pueblo which is fast and interactive. I even got the turntable cuz I’m a sucker.

Otherwise been enjoying playing hands of 535 solo until I bring it to play with friends.

So there’s at least 2 new games coming out that are good

Oh yeah and 1889

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I think a lot of games nowadays are designed in a way to eventually sell for around $80-$120 with the game usually broken up into a base plus a couple of expansions.

The publisher has to decide whether to market that all up front as crowd funding which works fine for more complicated games or to try and sell a reasonably priced base in retail that's not too complicated and has enough draw to sell future content they had already split into expansions.

I'm sure there's already been tons of business modeling already done on this.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sword & Sorcery puts a lot of work into being a DM-less RPG experience but the rules are poorly written and there are LOTS of them. The game's way too heavy for what it offers imo.

I really have a soft spot for games that try to do the DM-free experience, and even I dumpstered S&S after a few plays. It's just too much work.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
In the same vein, Frosthaven looks incredible but lol, just lol at the idea of having enough time to play it regularly. Has anyone commented on whether the set up/take down is streamlined at all from GH or is it still a nightmare?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I haven't played Frosthaven yet, but with some basic organizing a Gloomhaven scenario can be set up in 10 minutes. That's just with a few small plano boxes for the standees and cards, not even with some fancy box organizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

FulsomFrank posted:

In the same vein, Frosthaven looks incredible but lol, just lol at the idea of having enough time to play it regularly. Has anyone commented on whether the set up/take down is streamlined at all from GH or is it still a nightmare?

We're four encounters in on our twice-a-month game, and it's about ten minutes to set up the encounters, and it'll get faster as we get better at knowing what needs to be set up. Most of the work can be done in parallel, so it goes really fast.