Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Chapters 2 and on, any you missed can be viewed in Journal. Duos are under character tabs and three/four are under Sidequests > All

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Quick question dunno if this is been answered yet but, if you dual class say a warrior and a scholar, when you cast a spell how does it calculate your elemental attack stat? Do you need to have your staff "selected" or will it automatically base the damage off whichever weapon you have equipped with the highest magic stat on it??

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Quick question dunno if this is been answered yet but, if you dual class say a warrior and a scholar, when you cast a spell how does it calculate your elemental attack stat? Do you need to have your staff "selected" or will it automatically base the damage off whichever weapon you have equipped with the highest magic stat on it??

It indeed uses the weapon with the highest magic stat

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 6, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If there was one difficulty modifer this game needs, it would be the option to cap your level when entering a dungeon. The second half of the game inevitably becomes a cakewalk if you play this as quadpath traveler.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If there was one difficulty modifer this game needs, it would be the option to cap your level when entering a dungeon. The second half of the game inevitably becomes a cakewalk if you play this as quadpath traveler.

Your gear is way more impactful than your level anyway

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Agnea's was probably the story I was least excited for but I think it's one of my favorites. Really uplifting stuff compared to, say, Throne's or Cassti's.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Andrast posted:

Sick. I love this game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Andrast posted:

I was wondering about this, too. That’s very helpful.

Andrast posted:

Your gear is way more impactful than your level anyway

Yeah, I was saying earlier that I had to grind to get to the recommended level because they kept jumping up, but I gave up on that because I have really good gear and level doesn’t matter quite as much. I am rolling through chapters with recommended levels in the mid-30’s with a team of lv 30 characters plus lv 40 Throné

Edit: I’m glad that Agnes’s story isn’t high stakes but also not stupid or boring. The game needs some moments of calm to balance with the dark poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmao I just got to the second Castti/Ochette chapter and man the tonal shift between crossed paths chapters is somehow even madder than the main story

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Speaking of stories with high stakes, Castti’s entire story is really hosed up!!

Someone mentioned something earlier about wishing they could mark dungeons on their map, just fyi if you walk into a dungeon it will show up on your map. Even if it’s super high level, you won’t be there long enough to fight a battle if you just walk straight back out the door. The map shows the recommended level.

The problem isn't a lack of icons. It's trying to keep track of which dungeons I've finished out of the dozens on my map. Being able to add marks to the map would let me X out those dungeons I've cleared while seeing those I've gone into but not finished yet (I've gone in to every dungeon I've come across so far).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I've been playing this sporadically since release and just got unlocked all 8 travelers. My favorite stories so far, through just chapter 1 mind you, is Osvald followed by Throne. Temenos going for kind of a vigilante detective, batman-esque thing is pretty neat too. I picked Hikari first and his chapter 1 was lackluster imo, probably my least favorite of the opening stories. Just couldn't get down with the JRPG rework to the opening plot points of Gladiator. Hoping it picks up. Agnea's chapter 1 also didn't really leave me too excited, although I find that making her famous to be more heart warming than the other stories and she definitely stands in contrast to OT1's mega dark Primrose story. Ochette, Castti, Partitio were all sort of middle of the road.

In any case the game owns and I'm excited to start rolling through everyone's 2nd chapter now that I have a full party and multiple options.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The problem isn't a lack of icons. It's trying to keep track of which dungeons I've finished out of the dozens on my map. Being able to add marks to the map would let me X out those dungeons I've cleared while seeing those I've gone into but not finished yet (I've gone in to every dungeon I've come across so far).

Oh yeah, I suppose that makes sense. There are a few without side quests, like the Abandoned Waterway (which had a boss but mediocre loot) and the Quicksand Gaol (which gives you an item used for a license and a rusty weapon)

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I picked up Armsmaster to give to Hikari, got the sword, and was going to go about to pick up the spear, but god drat the guy guarding that is hard as hell for my level 32 Hikari.

I can't knock him out yet either. Guess I need to level up Throne more.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you've got a couple of the rare chloroform herb, Castti can hook you right up.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you've got a couple of the rare chloroform herb, Castti can hook you right up.

I don't think I do but I don't use Castti that often and I don't think I've ever used a potion to knock someone out other than her prologue, so maybe I do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bought this on a whim last week and have been really enjoying it. It's definitely better than the first game, which I enjoyed but fell off of pretty quickly once I got the entire cast, whereas now I've got everyone between levels 20-30 and am finishing cleaning up everyone's Chapter 2s. I've been avoiding looking things up and just trying to figure stuff out myself for once, and it's been going pretty well. I started with Throné and went counterclockwise from there. My current MVPs are probably Throné, because Thief can do a shocking amount of damage, and Castti with the Dancer license.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I had a really strange encounter after Temenos' Chapter 1 (which was my final traveler chapter) - I walked outside the city gates and everything was purple and had weird music playing, then I got into a battle with an actual tough enemy (it was also purple) rather than the normal level 11 scrubs. The weird music persisted throughout the the battle and when I beat it, it was just regular daytime again and everything was back to normal. Is this a portent of things to come "Night will fall" or whatever?

Also with the Armsmaster class, does it ever make sense to equip stronger weapons than the class weapons? Some of the skills are pretty good but if they lag behind later, Hikari especially may benefit more from some stout Learned skills instead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Was it whimsical music? Generally that means its one of the rare enemies that will shower you in goodies if you can best them before they flee.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

That's not what they're talking about. Haven't had an encounter like that myself but I've heard it from a friend before

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I had a similar encounter wandering around a mid-tier area, I want to say outside Crackridge? It was some dark avian creature, not too tough but a step up from the other encounters there. Same thing happened with the ominous music that went back to normal after beating it.

I think it's just a random occurrence, but I'm only guessing here. Kinda cool when it happens though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

I had a really strange encounter after Temenos' Chapter 1 (which was my final traveler chapter) - I walked outside the city gates and everything was purple and had weird music playing, then I got into a battle with an actual tough enemy (it was also purple) rather than the normal level 11 scrubs. The weird music persisted throughout the the battle and when I beat it, it was just regular daytime again and everything was back to normal. Is this a portent of things to come "Night will fall" or whatever?

Also with the Armsmaster class, does it ever make sense to equip stronger weapons than the class weapons? Some of the skills are pretty good but if they lag behind later, Hikari especially may benefit more from some stout Learned skills instead.

Unless you're using the related skill, use what's strongest. Honestly a lot of the skills seem pretty underwhelming. Especially for Hikari once you start picking up some of the stronger stuff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cleared out all the Chapter 1s, and did a couple Chapter 2s. I do like the cast, though I'm not sold on a few of them yet but it's still really early days.

I think I like half this cast better than OT1's, but OT1 still has some good people in there. It's probably even between them right now.

Regardless, Partitio is the best. Also I find it cute that (Partitio Chapter 2 banter spoilers) he and Oswald just casually complimenting each other's muscles.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roque is Elon Musk.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Roque is Elon Musk.

Don't you dare insult that Roque feller like that

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Levantine posted:

I had one of those too, I thought my game was glitching because of how dark it was.

This game is kinda glitchy though, I’ve had times where it went back to normal speed even though I had 2x speed toggled, so I had to hit + twice to fix it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Roque is Elon Musk.

He's too competent for that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Was it Rockefeller who drowned a city because he was too cheap to maintain a dam for his private boat lake?

Well it was a group of rich assholes, jsut wondering if it was Carnegie or Rockefeller who were part of it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you're using the related skill, use what's strongest. Honestly a lot of the skills seem pretty underwhelming. Especially for Hikari once you start picking up some of the stronger stuff.

Yeah, some of them are incredible when you can first unlock them, but there are several Learned skills that replicate to some degree. The bow one is definitely better than the Learned counterpart though, because I think it triggers again if you break an enemy with it. The sword one seems by far the best since I can hit upwards of 50k with very little setup. We'll see how it goes as the game progresses though. Right now they are about the most powerful weapons I have so it's kind of moot.

Rand Brittain posted:

Was it whimsical music? Generally that means its one of the rare enemies that will shower you in goodies if you can best them before they flee.

No, it's not an Octopuff or Cait, and the music was very ominous. Like another poster said, it was a dark avian type, and the sky was dark red/purple. The music was ominous map music that persisted through the battle too. I've only ever seen it once. As soon as the battle was over the sky went back to daytime and the music resumed the normal map theme. Kind of cool, just wondered if it means anything (I'll probably find out if I just play lol)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Levantine posted:

No, it's not an Octopuff or Cait, and the music was very ominous. Like another poster said, it was a dark avian type, and the sky was dark red/purple. The music was ominous map music that persisted through the battle too. I've only ever seen it once. As soon as the battle was over the sky went back to daytime and the music resumed the normal map theme. Kind of cool, just wondered if it means anything (I'll probably find out if I just play lol)

Same thing happened to me but it was in Eastern Sai Sands and it was a buffalo or something

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I ran into the Dark Random Encounter too. I figured it was related to Ochette's quest and didn't think too much of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Was there a way to keep a character's default outfit in battle even with a subjob? I mean most of them are fine (I'm partial to Dancer Partitio myself), but would be nice to keep some characters in them.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Arist posted:

Same thing happened to me but it was in Eastern Sai Sands and it was a buffalo or something

I got a dark buffalo too, rewards weren't crazy or anything, not sure what was going on there.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Beat that fucker and got the rusty spear. Made Hikari an apothecary, abused some of the bottles of nightmares, and kept regen/stout wall on. That plus some equipment to boost my hp to like 4500 so I was never in danger of dying to one of his abilities. Nice learned skill to have in the back pocket too, the 4-8 arrow on all foes is useful.

Combo fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 7, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
At what level or chapter did you get arm master because that seems to be locked behind a level 45 area.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just got done with Partitio Ch. 3 with everyone except Hikari significantly under the recommended levels, and hooooey, that boss wound up being a challenge that took a few tries, but I still had a blast with it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tae posted:

At what level or chapter did you get arm master because that seems to be locked behind a level 45 area.

I just bolted through to Gravel in the Wildlands, Used the Scholar power to make encounters less frequent and was able to handle the few random encounters that did show up. (One was even a Cait so got a bunch of EXP)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

My non-mains were low 20's. As mentioned, you just need to survive a couple randoms (either keep trying to flee, or try to beat them, they're tough but still just randoms so they shouldn't be too terrible).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is also my standard Octopath approach to beeline the endgame cities in order to attain the fanciest gear and whatever available goodies, like maybe an advanced class license, can be found there.

This absolutely breaks the difficulty curve because I also refuse to ever let Néné or Aggie out of my party even when they outlevel everything else from these escapades, but hey, the game lets me do it and I think it's cool.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
If anyone is trying to catch a chubby cait, the calculation is 2 large soulstones and then 1 medium for a 100% capture rate.

I used him to beat that fucker guarding the rusty spear. I don’t even have armsmaster unlocked to use it yet, I just stumbled into the dungeon looking to grind levels for Partitio and Osvald who were only like level 35 each.

Ochette and Throne are 50 though. It worked out. Ochette is so loving good and is basically carrying the team, though I’ve accidentally stacked too many one per fight monsters and they’re all too good to eat…

Next time I play, I’ll start with her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Thinking about it, Hikari might be the 'worst' character to start off with? Oswald and Partitio have utility based QoL via innate Analyze/money gathering that's always handy to have around. Oswald, Agnea, Temenos, Throne and Castti have level-based job actions so them being overleveled isn't a bad thing. Ochette is just kind of a beast and you can just passively keep your monsters updated. Ochette and Temenos mean you always have some way of hitting weakness, although Temenos requires his Latent to be available. Temenos and Throne are nice just for night-based passives to always be available.

Both of Hikari's actions are 'honest', and while having him be strong is good for Challenge, Ochette can also do the same. He's still a strong character so it's not bad to have him be powerful so he can just cut enemies down to size. Partitio's actions are also both honest so he's probably second worst, but always having access to Merchant means you'll build up resources without really noticing, and once he almost masters Merchant you always have a source of full Donate BP at the start of a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hikari can’t challenge people unless he’s a specific level, so having him over-leveled could help you get better learned skills earlier.